• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kinda Funny Community Thread | The Fire Rises, Brother!

Not liking the changes at kinda funny, nick seems disengaged, Tim talks too much, it's the tim show and gregs ego shouting at cool Greg over beer was out of control. Andrea is annoying.

Yeah I think I'm done. Shame I like Andy and nick

Thorrgal

they are probably annoyed at the OMG colin is making more than you guys hottakes

Last time I checked Colin was just below 30k and the guys were back at almost 40k

Edit: Love the new shows Also nice to the negative comments have almost dissapeared. Good job turning around the situation

Zukkoyaki

Personally I think Kinda Funny is currently the best it's been in at least a year.

- Games Daily rocks and is basically PSILY everyday but with less fluff and hosts who actually want to be there
- More regular Let's Plays that capture the spirit of the early days of playing on the couch
- Andy has been a fantastic addition to both the Gamescast and Gameovergreggy. What a pick up he turned out to be!
- Morning show isn't all screwing around and sub reads

PepperedHam

Personally I think Kinda Funny is currently the best it's been in at least a year.

- Games Daily rocks and is basically PSILY everyday but with less fluff and hosts who actually want to be there
- More regular Let's Plays that capture the spirit of the early days of playing on the couch
- Andy has been a fantastic addition to both the Gamescast and Gameovergreggy. What a pick up he turned out to be!
- Morning show isn't all screwing around and sub reads
100% agreed, I have enjoyed Games Daily so damn much and we haven't even gotten Danny on yet. I'm looking forward to seeing the Gamescast's improvements and even more so with the Giant Bomb guys being on the first showing of that. For the first time in a long time KF is back in my regular rotation like they used to be and it feels damn good. Weaving in and out of both KF and EZA's content is a great blend and I'm glad they took a lot of the criticism seriously.

mrk8885

Banned
Not liking the changes at kinda funny, nick seems disengaged, Tim talks too much, it's the tim show and gregs ego shouting at cool Greg over beer was out of control. Andrea is annoying.

Yeah I think I'm done. Shame I like Andy and nick
That's a shame. Most of us are pretty into the changes.

Im pretty happy I can skip the morning show shenanigans and get right to games news without watching people pay $5 to hear nick say butthole. And I love Andrea and (soon!) Danny.

I'll always miss Colin's knowledge base, but certainly not his apathy. Danny will help fill the void.

Zukkoyaki

Not to make things about Colin but I would reeeeeally like to see how much he'd clash with Greg and Tim over the Switch now that it's been out for a few months. The ladder two love it and Colin, not so much. Would make for... Interesting listening.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
That's a shame. Most of us are pretty into the changes.

Im pretty happy I can skip the morning show shenanigans and get right to games news without watching people pay $5 to hear nick say butthole. And I love Andrea and (soon!) Danny.

I'll always miss Colin's knowledge base, but certainly not his apathy. Danny will help fill the void.

This is gonna be a problem for them in the long run.

I'll say it again. A sizable part of their fanbase is from the old GoG from their house as a side thing on YouTube, but another sizable portion is there from the games coverage.

Too many people are gonna come to them/ think of them just for KoF Games. Many people are actively skipping the regular KoF stuff. Think they are competing against themselves to some degree.

Karu

I'll say it again. A sizable part of their fanbase is from the old GoG from their house as a side thing on YouTube, but another sizable portion is there from the games coverage.

Too many people are gonna come to them/ think of them just for KoF Games. Many people are actively skipping the regular KoF stuff. Think they are competing against themselves to some degree.
You have to explain this one to me. According to you, there are two different fan bases with different interest visiting Kinda Funny or Kinda Funny Games, so... how exactly are they competing against each either? That would quite the opposite actually - they attract people from both sides, Gaming and Off Topic so to speak. Of course, people on GAF Gaming will come to think of them as KFG, but I am not sure that is the crowd KF is looking for in the first place. Those will be drawn from Twitter, Instagram and potentially KFG (which is why I don't necessarily agree the two supposed fanbases are so different in the first place).

Great Gamescast this week, although I could do with a podcast with Jeff Gerstmann, certified E3-visitor since 1836, talking about the future of E3 - not that is his fault, of course, but man. :D Really glad they changed the release shedule, finally.

Mezoly

They seem to already solved that problem.
They separated the content on separate Patroen and Youtube channels.
I don't think anyone is confused anymore. If I don't want their shenanigans (Which I don't), I'm just sticking to their gaming coverage and I'm super satisfied..

mrk8885

Banned

i dont quite understand what you see as a problem.

and i think the "comes to Kinda Funny for games coverage" group is SIGNIFICANTLY larger than the "randomly discovered them via GoG" group.

Vanillalite

They seem to already solved that problem.
They separated the content on separate Patroen and Youtube channels.
I don't think anyone is confused anymore. If I don't want their shenanigans (Which I don't), I'm just sticking to their gaming coverage and I'm super satisfied..

Less cross promotion. It's like they are running two separate businesses each with their own base they have to cater to.

Before they kinda tried to do both together. There is also the idea of effort put into one is taking away from the other which is a bigger deal when they try and treat both as separate entities.

If you are a KoF Games only person what will you think if they announce new KoF content? Will you be happy or will you be mad that it isn't effort put into KoF games?

mrk8885

Banned
Less cross promotion. It's like they are running two separate businesses each with their own base they have to cater to.

Before they kinda tried to do both together. There is also the idea of effort put into one is taking away from the other which is a bigger deal when they try and treat both as separate entities.

If you are a KoF Games only person what will you think if they announce new KoF content? Will you be happy or will you be mad that it isn't effort put into KoF games?

I much prefer Games content and only rarely catch non game programming. but they obviously have audiences for both. i'm not gonna be upset when they create KF content. i'll just gladly consume KFG.

There's enough content out there to keep yourself busy. No need to get upset.

Some people go to dairy queen for the ice cream, others go for their burgers. Some of the ice cream crowd will try the burgers and like them, some wont like them and some wont even try them at all. Doesnt mean its a bad business model or that they are competing with themselves. Its just them using their recognition and brand to cater to all sorts of genres of youtube content.
The games content is better then ever and GOG is still GOG.

I think the price turns me off from Five Guys. Five Guys is good, but it's not the best fast food burger and fries. There are other good, cheaper options

Chick fil a is a little expensive but at least for that I'm getting the best fast food fried chicken sandwich I've ever had. Various other places have better grilled chicken sandwiches though.

Personally, as I live in the UK, having only ever eat a Chic once and 5 guys a couple of time 5 Guys is really good but expensive and Chic is bloody amazing, already organising a trip out of SF at KFL4 to go get some, really good chicken!

Vanillalite

I think considering where I'm from CFA is an old thing vs a new thing. So it just doesn't seem zomg special. It wasn't even a big deal back when I was a kid.

Thorrgal

Is not a competition lol

I much prefer Games content and only rarely catch non game programming. but they obviously have audiences for both. i'm not gonna be upset when they create KF content. i'll just gladly consume KFG.

There's enough content out there to keep yourself busy. No need to get upset.

Exactly

Edit: Regarding the food it all sounds like the kinda food that is gonna kill you...

Karu

Andrea Rene is really the perfect antagonistic sceptic-substitute for Mr. Moriarty. And I mean that in a genuinely positive way.
With the good always comes a bit of the bad, so she still pisses me off sometimes, because she would fall on a sword for whatever she happens to like no matter the corporate bullshit and then brush off things she doesn't care about in a second and with a laugh (the Colossos-remake).

Also, it is the friggin best that Greg "has to" do a daily news with a moba-nerd and listen to her giving a legit opinion/description of whatever she plays, haha #karma. It is truly refreshing for Kinda Funny Games that they have a person sitting at the desk who knows what she's talking about and can convey as much e.g. on a mechanical basis.

But whatevs. Games Daily remains awesome in week 2 and it can only get better with Danny joining.

Maximo

Andrea Rene is really the perfect antagonistic sceptic-substitute for Mr. Moriarty. And I mean that in a genuinely positive way.
With the good always comes a bit of the bad, so she still pisses me off sometimes, because she would fall on a sword for whatever she happens to like no matter the corporate bullshit and then brush off things she doesn't care about in a second and with a laugh (the Colossos-remake).

Also, it is the friggin best that Greg "has to" do a daily news with a moba-nerd and listen to her giving a legit opinion/description of whatever she plays, haha #karma. It is truly refreshing for Kinda Funny Games that they have a person sitting at the desk who knows what she's talking about and can convey as much e.g. on a mechanical basis.

But whatevs. Games Daily remains awesome in week 2 and it can only get better with Danny joining.

Yep can't wait for Danny.

Vanillalite

Is not a competition lol

It is in the sense that both patreons ARE competing for time from the limited staff.

If it was a big organization this wouldn't be an issue. When it's essentially 5 dudes doing everything (not counting contract workers) they only have so much time and effort to devote to something.

RoKKeR

KFGD is a great product, and I'm a bit surprised they didn't do it earlier. But the rotating chair and having great guest hosts will give a long way in keeping it fresh day after day.

Cool Greg seems like a chill dude. Although I didn't watch all of it, I enjoyed the one on one with him and Greg Miller.

Kinda feel bad for the guy, but I'm glad to see that Kinda Funny hired him.

Also he got screwed. Fired for sexual harassment for calling someone a 'baller'? Get the fuck out of here.

Cool Greg seems like a chill dude. Although I didn't watch all of it, I enjoyed the one on one with him and Greg Miller.

Kinda feel bad for the guy, but I'm glad to see that Kinda Funny hired him.

Also he got screwed. Fired for sexual harassment for calling someone a 'baller'? Get the fuck out of here.

Cool Greg is amazing, he hung out so much at KFL3, help people out and so much more. Seriously a geninuely nice guy, i can't overstate how much he lives up to the Cool nickname. So happy they hired him and gets a chance to turn his life around and build something, he is an amazingly hard worker etc but all the BS from his earlier days can really screw people and limit there ablity to work they way out. Can't wait to hang more at KFL4 he is also funny as all hell in person

This week's Party Mode episode is now available to Patrons on the Games Patreon page (available to everybody tomorrow). This week's episode is That's You. Looks pretty fun. It's also free right now on PS+ (from today until October 24th at 11:00AM).

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
.....wat lol
He said he worked with a transvestite and when he changed his name to a female name, the name sounded like or rhymed with "baller", so he would call her a "baller" in a friendly way (as in, "Hey, what's up baller?"). However his job decided that was sexual harassment cause of the "ball" part. It literally makes no sense and it sounded like she didn't mind at all since they worked together for a long time and were friends.

ghornett

Neo Member
The Cool Greg episode threw me off at first because I thought it was newer. I'd love to hear another one now that he's hired and what's changed in the past 6 months for him.

jviggy43

Kfgd is literally everything I wanted from them and I love Andrea on the show. I needed some damn structure from their offerings rather than watching friends just goof off.

Mezoly

That's You Party Mode was awesome. I would highly recommend.
I never watch let's plays but that one was a very entertaining video.

Sorry to bring up the Colin stuff again but someone pointed out to me he no longer follows anyone from Kinda Funny on Twitter, including Greg (who was the very first account he ever followed)

That should once and for all put to rest any thought that this ended well. It just bums me the fuck out even though I know it is for the best given where everyone has been headed.

Back on topic I finally started listening to KFGD and yeah it's excellent

Zukkoyaki

Sorry to bring up the Colin stuff again but someone pointed out to me he no longer follows anyone from Kinda Funny on Twitter, including Greg (who was the very first account he ever followed)

That should once and for all put to rest any thought that this ended well. It just bums me the fuck out even though I know it is for the best given where everyone has been headed.

Dude is a master of burning bridges. Personally I thought it was always pretty obvious that things didn't end well. But like you said, it was ultimately the right move for everyone involved.

Anyway, this week's Party Mode, That's You! is amazing and actually made me download the game. Can't wait to play it!

Dude is a master of burning bridges. Personally I thought it was always pretty obvious that things didn't end well. But like you said, it was ultimately the right move for everyone involved.

Anyway, this week's Party Mode, That's You! is amazing and actually made me download the game. Can't wait to play it!

I haven't checked out any of their Party Mode stuff. Should I start with this one?

Back on topic I finally started listening to KFGD and yeah it's excellent

To be fair, he seems to be basically purging nearly every Twitter account of people from the video game industry (mainly in SF), not just Kinda Funny. Basically a totally clean slate. He seems to still follow (or at least conversate) with LA based video game personalities/devs.

Top Bottom