• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL '12 Playoffs |OT| "The Cup is our destiny this year."

Well apparently they're putting John Scott into the lineup :lol

Really? Because I heard Kreider. And this was on Ottawa's board.

kreiderlineup.jpg

Clydefrog

I was in Coachella and missed the last 2 Kings - Canucks game. I saw some big Canucks banners and flags near our campsite. I didn't see a single Kings banner :(

I'm going to miss Wednesday's game as well thanks to a work seminar. I'm going to scream with joy during the seminar if I find out the Kings win. Series is NOT over yet!

Ra\/en

I was in Coachella and missed the last 2 Kings - Canucks game. I saw some big Canucks banners and flags near our campsite. I didn't see a single Kings banner :(

I'm going to miss Wednesday's game as well thanks to a work seminar. I'm going to scream with joy during the seminar if I find out the Kings win. Series is NOT over yet!

Oh it's over. Congrats to the Kings.

Good job shutting down the nucks. Seriously. As much as it pains me to say this, the Kings have done very well and deserve these wins.

Razorskin

----- ------

With a name like clydefrog you must like the Cartman chant at the staples centre.

hubes

Crosby on the glove incident:

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Article here. "Crosby Defiant" my ass. Gotta love that the coverage is STILL so pro-Pens. "O my god how could they POSSIBLY lose this series?!?!?!" This isn't THAT big a shock. I'll agree the Pens were favorites, but this reaction just isn't warranted.

lol "what was i supposed to do?"

you let voracek pick up his glove you dumbass

gcubed

meh, i think a lot is being made of that... i didnt think it was too bad. A little bitchy for someone of Crosby's level, but if it was someone else i wouldn't even have batted an eye

meh, i think a lot is being made of that... i didnt think it was too bad. A little bitchy for someone of Crosby's level, but if it was someone else i wouldn't even have batted an eye

Doesn't change the fact that his response after the game was totally classless. The act itself was pretty bitchy considering he wasn't willing to fight, but the comments after the game propel his action to new pathetic heights.

Cagey

Banned
Things will calm down after this Philly/Pitt series. There aren't very many teams that hate eachother that much. Rangers/Devils could probably pull it off. Maybe Detroit/Chicago and Montreal/Toronto or Boston.

Pretty sure we don't really have to worry about those matchups this year though....

Game One will begin with a five on five tag team brawl
playa!
at center ice.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Kreider will pot one tonight. Book it.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Article here. "Crosby Defiant" my ass. Gotta love that the coverage is STILL so pro-Pens. "O my god how could they POSSIBLY lose this series?!?!?!" This isn't THAT big a shock. I'll agree the Pens were favorites, but this reaction just isn't warranted.

His later answer was even better.

"What was I supposed to do, just pick it up for him?"

"You could've just skated away"

"well... I didn't"

Great answer Crosby, great answer.

Also, there's no way AV will get fired Solo, no way. One of the goalies will be shipped (Most likely Schneids, because he's a way more attractive target, I;ll be ridiculously surprised if he manages to get around Luongo's NMC AND find a target that wants him). AV has had a lot of success with the team and is well liked, it takes more than one early playoff-out. He'll get another year and then depending on next year's outcome they'll see.

I'm really looking forward to draft day, because I'm extremely curious to see what we get in return for Schneids. I'm hoping for either a high pick (talking top5 here) or a 2nd line winger at least.

Also, I REALLY hope Shaw doesn't get any suspension from his hearing today, that'd be ridiculous. Yes, he hit him, but that's not suspension worthy. (-cough- weber -cough-)

th3dude

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Oh my god, how could brucewaynegretzky POSSIBLY exaggerate an article?

I couldn't find your quote anywhere in that article. That article was nothing but quotes and simple factual statements about the game (ie "Each time the Penguins did cut the deficit down to one, they committed a penalty and Philadelphia cashed in with a power-play goal. It was 6-4 after the second period.")

So, um, WTF are you talking about?

On a related note, this article that I looked for is totally pro Flyers. I hate how the media is all 'omg the Flyers are so good'.

Also, yes, the Pens were favorites, but many experts picked Flyers over the Pens. Given how dominant the Flyers have been over the Pens as of late, no one is really 'shocked'.

So again, WTF are you talking about?

If you all would stop making stuff up and put some legitimate hate on the Pens, I'd be happy to join in, as I have over the last few pages.

fallout

It's weird that the funny thing he did is getting so much attention when the actual bitch stuff he was pulling isn't getting as much.

Smiley90

I couldn't find your quote anywhere in that article. That article was nothing but quotes and simple factual statements about the game (ie "Each time the Penguins did cut the deficit down to one, they committed a penalty and Philadelphia cashed in with a power-play goal. It was 6-4 after the second period.")

On a related note, this article that I looked for is totally pro Flyers. I hate how the media is all 'omg the Flyers are so good'.

Also, yes, the Pens were favorites, but many experts picked Flyers over the Pens. Given how dominant the Flyers have been over the Pens as of late, no one is really 'shocked'.

If you all would stop making stuff up and put some legitimate hate on the Pens, I'd be happy to join in, as I have over the last few pages.

If you mean the Crosby-quote, he said it in his post-game interview, it was shown on live TV. Not sure if there's video of it, but I can definitely attest that he did say that. That and the hilarious comment I added above.

O really? Flyers were one of the LEAST picked teams by most big outlets. Go ahead and do a comparison of how many "experts" at the big outlets (TSN, ESPN, NHL.com) picked the Flyers. They were picked at almost the same rate as teams like Ottawa and the Panthers. And you know why there are SOME positive articles now, BECAUSE WE'RE UP 3-0! The fact that you couldn't even find the quote in there is pretty telling. Crosby is using his NHL-issued microphone to preach to every outlet on the planet, and he's getting sympathetic coverage. It's pathetic. A team down 3-0 should not be getting this much favorable press, especially when they have two pending suspensions for goonish behavior. So if you wanna say the coverage is even 50/50 at this point it's still fucking pathetic that it's that close of a split.

th3dude

If you mean the Crosby-quote, he said it in his post-game interview, it was shown on live TV. Not sure if there's video of it, but I can definitely attest that he did say that. That and the hilarious comment I added above.

No, I was referring to the poster quoting the NHL.com article as saying "omg how could the Pens be losing this series".

O really? Flyers were one of the LEAST picked teams by most big outlets. Go ahead and do a comparison of how many "experts" at the big outlets (TSN, ESPN, NHL.com) picked the Flyers. They were picked at almost the same rate as teams like Ottawa and the Panthers. And you know why there are SOME positive articles now, BECAUSE WE'RE UP 3-0! The fact that you couldn't even find the quote in there is pretty telling. Crosby is using his NHL-issued microphone to preach to every outlet on the planet, and he's getting sympathetic coverage. It's pathetic. A team down 3-0 should not be getting this much favorable press, especially when they have two pending suspensions for goonish behavior. So if you wanna say the coverage is even 50/50 at this point it's still fucking pathetic that it's that close of a split.

Again, I was referring to your 'omg how could the Pens be losing' quote.

I don't deny anything that Crosby did. In fact, a few pages back, I was saying how sick I am of defending him and that the 'haters' are completely right about him.

As for the overall coverage, yes, the Pens get a lot of coverage. Superstars (Sid, Malkin, etc) get coverage. Trust me, as a hockey fan I don't deny that the Flyers have superstars worthy of media attention as well. Hockey is no different than any other media coverage. The media filters and panders to the greatest common denominator. Just like political coverage, cable news, etc.

However, this coverage is hurting the Pens at the moment. Lots of bad publicity. Their own beat writers are tearing them new assholes. I'll post some of it as I come across it.

th3dude

Really? You really thought that was a quote? Sarcasm filter turned off today?

I don't really get your hostility. Everyone, including Pens fans, agrees with you on almost all of your points, yet you act like you are in the minority.

And I do admit that the experts did in fact overwhelmingly pick the Pens over the Flyers. I do think that many saw it coming down to a game 7 showdown, so that should be taken into account too. Most normal Pittsburgh fans, however, were quite worried about this series.

Revenant

ratings are up on NBC by 50 percent

http://puckthemedia.wordpress.com/2012/04/16/playoff-ratings-up-50-on-nbc/

22 percent increase in the playoffs across the board.

Also revenue is up again

The National Hockey League is on pace for its seventh consecutive year of record total revenue.

As the Stanley Cup playoffs began this week, league officials projected revenues will top $3.2 billion by the time a champion is crowned in June.

NHL Enterprises’ revenue is forecasted to increase by 18 percent, an increase of 195 percent from the 2003-04 season.

http://www.bizjournals.com/buffalo/blog/morning_roundup/2012/04/nhl-revenue-to-top-32b.html

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
and you have to take into consideration that blackout rules apply with NBC which makes the rating increases pretty shocking considering local coverage has only become better

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
and you have to take into consideration that blackout rules apply with NBC which makes the rating increases pretty shocking considering local coverage has only become better

NBC isn't even getting to air Rangers or Devils games in the NY market. Those are airing on the MSG networks here. So they're not even getting the benefit of local teams in the playoffs in one of the biggest markets.

Also, I'd be interested to see Kreider get the nod for Hags. Talk about trial by fire for your NHL debut.

Smiley90

NEW YORK -- Ottawa Senators forward Zenon Konopka has been fined $2,500, the maximum allowed under the Collective Bargaining Agreement, and his club fined $10,000 for Konopka's conduct prior to Game 2 of the Eastern Conference Quarter-Final at New York on Saturday. April 14, the National Hockey League announced today.

Konopka was fined for his verbal abuse directed at a New York Rangers player conducting a live television interview nearby during pre-game warm-ups.

The Konopka fine money goes to the Players' Emergency Assistance Fund, while the club fine goes to the NHL Foundation.

What happened here?

ShaneB

What happened here?

Rangers player was doing a pre-game on-ice interview. Konopka skated by and was chirping at him and all that stuff. I have no idea what feed it was for, and what made it to air, but I imagine it was enough to have him pay up. The pre-game stuff isn't uncommon, but to do it while a player was giving an interview is pretty foolish.

Socreges

Banned
I know this thread is full of hyperbole but I can't believe you just advocated missing the playoffs in a playoffs thread. And you did it as a habs fan, no less. Good job
The burn just has to look good. It doesn't have to make sense. ;) See Marvie:

So much salt...... HIDE YOUR SNAILS
Hmm, I don't see any salt in that post. Might have some residue on it from all the Hawks fans last night, though.

ibziGWaeguFIAr.gif

NBC isn't even getting to air Rangers or Devils games in the NY market. Those are airing on the MSG networks here. So they're not even getting the benefit of local teams in the playoffs in one of the biggest markets.

Also, I'd be interested to see Kreider get the nod for Hags. Talk about trial by fire for your NHL debut.

Devils? Biggest markets? What?

Edit: And Rangers probably aren't since Rangers own MSG... They probably made it that way.

Revenant

The burn just has to look good. It doesn't have to make sense. ;) See Marvie:

Hmm, I don't see any salt in that post. Might have some residue on it from all the Hawks fans last night, though.

don't worry buddy, when the canucks get swept your good ol' pal rev will be there if you need a hug and a shoulder to cry salty tears on.

sammich

I know im late to the party.. but FUCK yes. Go kings(D Sutter), Go flyers(Bryz, Hartnell and the gang. Such an awesome team). And i picked them to meet in the finals. And this is not just talking cuz they are up 3-0. All my pics for various pools are littered with Flyers and Kings. My other ones were Chicago, Washington. Didnt touch the Nj/Florida nor the Detroit/Nashville games.

Now i will disappear until next season till the Flames and leafs stink it up.

Dominic Moore with a broken nose, which is probably old news.

Are Moores the unluckiest hockey players ever or does the Moore bloodline have some kind of hereditary bone disease?

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
While the Leafs are losers
Agreed. Queue the clowning by national media and full-page adverts for this team's ineptitude-laden DNA. You may want to start next year's copywriting now, btw.

Now for teams that matter (for a little while longer, anyways): This year has felt off from the jump, and even more so in the playoffs. Kesler's lost his cool along with his clothes, and while Kassian might be a good investment for the future, he's not what we need right now to compete at a Cup-caliber level. Those contributions from the back 2 lines were vital last year, and nowhere to be found now. It's maddening, it's frustrating, and while there's a chance we pull it out, I don't see it.

Off season is going to be interesting.

Top Bottom