• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No More Heroes sells well and Suda cries tears of joy

DreD

JudgeN said:
I was wondering this same thing too Suda may get $10 or less a copy sold to retailers, but there is no way 100k sales is profit. I would imagine this game cost at least 4-5M to make, not saying its not a success compared to his other games because it is but this 100k = good sales mess needs to quit.

So you think NMH had about half the budget Red Steel had? :lol

BrodiemanTTR said:
Actually Stormbringer I heard this game cost like 4 or 5 million.
It would be appreciated if you had a more concrete source for this... I believe a budget of 4 or 5 million would certainly be considered a relatively low budget (if not rather average for the platform), but given Grasshopper notoriously, extremely cheap development cycle, all signs (including the final product) seem to point to the possibility that NMH budget would be even lower than that...
However, given that it doesn't seems like that the exact budget of the game was ever disclosed, I guess all this will have to remain pure speculation on our part.

JudgeN

DreD said:
So you think NMH had about half the budget Red Steel had? :lol

I had no idea they could make games this cheap, i mean doesn't the average PSP game cost 1-2M? I mean i figured it had to be more then that, guess i was wrong.

mugwhump

Amir0x said:
NoMoreHeroesSucks.jpg
What a loving homage, Amirox. Suda is touched.
No%20More%20Heroes_Wii2-thumb.jpg

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
has anyone even thought about WHY this is good news? it's good news because Marvelous has qualified it as a success. this in turn is good for us because it increases the likelihood that a sequel will be made should Suda choose to. the budget and even the quality (which in this case is pretty high IMO) are not factors that even matter in this case. here are the facts: No More Heroes was shipped. it received an above average critical reception. people bought it. Marvelous was happy with the number of people who bought it. there is no "it's not really a success" or "why is this a success and not Uncharted" because all of that has nothing to do with what Marvelous, the people actually making money off of this, think about the sales of the game.

to put into perspective, for a while i was afraid that Zack & Wiki's sales were poor, and it only sold 300k units WW, but Capcom was more than happy with it, and to those people who bought the game and enjoyed it are all more likely to have another Zack & Wiki game in the future.

so in conclusion:
THIS SUCCESS IS ENTIRELY IN A VACUUM BECAUSE MARVELOUS CONSIDERS IT A SUCCESS. THERE IS NOTHING ANYONE CAN SAY, TYPE, OR DO TO CHANGE THAT REALITY.

Vinnk

doomed1 said:
so in conclusion:
THIS SUCCESS IS ENTIRELY IN A VACUUM BECAUSE MARVELOUS CONSIDERS IT A SUCCESS. THERE IS NOTHING ANYONE CAN SAY, TYPE, OR DO TO CHANGE THAT REALITY.

QFT

And I don't see why people wanted to see it fail so much. When a good game fails it's a loss to our hobby. And when a small developer is rewarded for trying something new in an industry full of sequels and shovelware, it's good news. Simple as that.

doomed1 said:
has anyone even thought about WHY this is good news? it's good news because Marvelous has qualified it as a success. this in turn is good for us because it increases the likelihood that a sequel will be made should Suda choose to. the budget and even the quality (which in this case is pretty high IMO) are not factors that even matter in this case. here are the facts: No More Heroes was shipped. it received an above average critical reception. people bought it. Marvelous was happy with the number of people who bought it. there is no "it's not really a success" or "why is this a success and not Uncharted" because all of that has nothing to do with what Marvelous, the people actually making money off of this, think about the sales of the game.

to put into perspective, for a while i was afraid that Zack & Wiki's sales were poor, and it only sold 300k units WW, but Capcom was more than happy with it, and to those people who bought the game and enjoyed it are all more likely to have another Zack & Wiki game in the future.

so in conclusion:

doomed1 said:

so in conclusion:

People will still try to downplay it though. It's human nature to try and dismiss good things.

Innotech

Banned
Im just happy because it means two things. 1. MMV has a hit on the Wii 2. It lends credibility to successful third party hardcore support

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
AceBandage said:
People will still try to downplay it though. It's human nature to try and dismiss good things.
well, this as perceived by the people who downplay it is bad. it disqualifies some preconceptions about the Wii that some want to stay for their own reasons. it's fine cause thats sort of what makes system wars more interesting, but no one has any place downing NMH in this thread. it's like being that douche at a party trying to cut in all the couples dancing, but he can't so he just makes a stink.

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
I'm still pleasantly surprised at the reception it received critically. It would have been so easy for reviewers to go on about waggle and mini-games then slap a 6 on it a call it a day.

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
Innotech said:
Im just happy because it means two things. 1. MMV has a hit on the Wii 2. It lends credibility to successful third party hardcore support

I certainly hope other third-parties are taking notice.

Top Bottom