• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KS8000 settings for gaming at 4k/HDR

Yoday

Do we know the input delays for each mode? I've been using Movie Mode to avoid changing backlight settings, and while it's not as snappy as Game Mode, it really doesn't feelall that bad to me. Maybe I'm just not as sensitive to it?

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Do we know the input delays for each mode? I've been using Movie Mode to avoid changing backlight settings, and while it's not as snappy as Game Mode, it really doesn't feelall that bad to me. Maybe I'm just not as sensitive to it?

Movie mode is 113.5 ms according to rtings.

Yoday

Movie mode is 113.5 ms according to rtings.
I wonder if they've improved it since the readings were taken then? It feels considerably better to me than Standard or Dynamic. I also have the motion stuff off, which I believe is on by default.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
I wonder if they've improved it since the readings were taken then? It feels considerably better to me than Standard or Dynamic. I also have the motion stuff off, which I believe is on by default.

Possible I suppose. I know Movie Mode felt pretty awful to me when I tried it with a video game.

At this point I have given up, we'll never get it. Oh well....

Same, I don't even check for updates anymore.

No way the KS8000/9000 could get increased nits or Dolby Vision or HLG support through firmware updates right? The changes need to be in the hardware?

Looking to get this TV in the coming months. It's about 1200€ here for the 55" version which sounds fair enough. Is that a good idea or are similarly priced TVs with better feats about to hit? I've been out of the loop for about 10 years honestly. Still got a 720p 32" Toshiba in the basement I think.

Pennywise

Looking to get this TV in the coming months. It's about 1200€ here for the 55" version which sounds fair enough. Is that a good idea or are similarly priced TVs with better feats about to hit? I've been out of the loop for about 10 years honestly. Still got a 720p 32" Toshiba in the basement I think.

The new models will be more expensive and we don't have reviews for every model yet, so the only option would be waiting until an OLED would be in the price range, or one of those newer models.

Paid about the same for the curved model, and got an S7 on top as Samsung ran a special deal during the start of the year.

You should still see the TV in person, that's something everybody should do with such an investment.

The new models will be more expensive and we don't have reviews for every model yet, so the only option would be waiting until an OLED would be in the price range, or one of those newer models.

Paid about the same for the curved model, and got an S7 on top as Samsung ran a special deal during the start of the year.

You should still see the TV in person, that's something everybody should do with such an investment.

I did today. It looked good but then, so did all the other TVs. It was 1500€ in the store however.

laxu

No way the KS8000/9000 could get increased nits or Dolby Vision or HLG support through firmware updates right? The changes need to be in the hardware?

Both Dolby Vision and HLG should be possible with a software update provided the panel and backlight can handle them. Whether Samsung wants to do them or if they will only offer them for new models is a whole another question.

Honestly I wish TVs weren't the most poorly supported long term electronics. Often you have to buy a new model just to fix issues of the previous one or sometimes the latest is worse than the previous gen...it's just baffling how they are going back and forth and constantly seem to be switching UIs etc.

[Asmodean]

I unplug the HDMI cord from the back of the Switch that is the only way I can get it to stop.

FYI you can just unplug the switch dock from the socket and it also works. Depending on your setup, it's a lot less effort to just plug it out, than to keep popping the hdmi out/in all the time.

Stupid question that I am sure has been asked: I am upgrading from a Panny plasma running through a Yamaha Receiver. The Receiver supports 4k but not HDR. So, I am considering running all connections through the OCB. I am assuming I would simply plug my DTV Genie, PS4 Pro and Xbox into the OCB and run digital out to the receiver, correct?

philm87

Both Dolby Vision and HLG should be possible with a software update provided the panel and backlight can handle them. Whether Samsung wants to do them or if they will only offer them for new models is a whole another question.

Honestly I wish TVs weren't the most poorly supported long term electronics. Often you have to buy a new model just to fix issues of the previous one or sometimes the latest is worse than the previous gen...it's just baffling how they are going back and forth and constantly seem to be switching UIs etc.

HLG can definitely done by a firmware update. Dolby vision is 12-bit isn't it? So I guess there could just be support at 10-bit.

Rbk_3

PC mode looks fine to me.. I actually like it over game mode. PC mode displays 4:4:4 chroma as well, game mode does not.

PC mode colors are waaaaaay over saturated and not even in the ball park of being accurate because they force you to use Native color space.

So....recently my TV has been randomly switching inputs.

Like, I'll be playing my PS4 and out of nowhere it changes to the HDMI input of my SWITCH even though it's not on (black screen).

Has anyone experienced this? Highly annoying....and completely random while playing Horizon.

I don't know if it's related to the new TV firmware, the switch, or what. Or maybe something stuck/wrong with the remote?

Micerider

Like, I'll be playing my PS4 and out of nowhere it changes to the HDMI input of my SWITCH even though it's not on (black screen).

Has anyone experienced this? Highly annoying....and completely random while playing Horizon.

I don't know if it's related to the new TV firmware, the switch, or what. Or maybe something stuck/wrong with the remote?

It's the SWitch messing up with the HMDI signal while charging ln dock, known issue.
No perfect solution except undocking the switch when using something else on your TV.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes

Lol it's a known issue. Everyone has been dealing with it for a month now. So fucking annoying.

Was there a trick for anyone to get 10-bit color working? I just moved my PC to the TV and its only showing 8. I'm using the HDMI cable I had used with the PS4 Pro so I don't think that's it.

Edit: GTX 1070 to be clear

philm87

Was there a trick for anyone to get 10-bit color working? I just moved my PC to the TV and its only showing 8. I'm using the HDMI cable I had used with the PS4 Pro so I don't think that's it.

Have you turned UHD Colour on in the tv's expert settings?

Depends on the chroma.

If you have 4:4:4 selected, it will only do 8 bit.

I guess the other options are 4:2:2 and 4:2:0?

10 bit should work fine with those, but it's a trade off.

The HDMI cable can cause issues trying to do 4:4:4, especially at distance. I have a monoprice premium certified cable. No issues.

This is all for 60hz.

HDMI-color-spaces.png

Syrus

Banned
PC mode colors are waaaaaay over saturated and not even in the ball park of being accurate because they force you to use Native color space.

Thats what they said on AVS forums so im sticking to Movie Mode for now. May switch to Game mode once most games are HDR but im liking movie mode just fine.

Been doing ME and its okay , BF1 and Gears seemed fine too.

Dont 60 fps perform better with input lag too?

philm87

I thought native gave you that wider color gamut?

Native basically expands the colour gamut from what is being sent to the TV, though this sounds good it can cause the colours to become oversaturated. You'll notice this mostly with a red, green, or blue.

Auto just reproduces what's being sent, which shouldn't degrade the picture quality at all.

Depends on the chroma.

If you have 4:4:4 selected, it will only do 8 bit.

I guess the other options are 4:2:2 and 4:2:0?

10 bit should work fine with those, but it's a trade off.

The HDMI cable can cause issues trying to do 4:4:4, especially at distance. I have a monoprice premium certified cable. No issues.

This is all for 60hz.

Appreciate this! I'll tinker after work.

I love this TV so much (FF XV is a joy to behold in HDR omg) But for some reason it forgets my ps4's input setting name and icon every once in a while. It's happened a couple times. My video settings are still there and all I need to do is put the input name in again but it's a slight nuisance. Anyone else have this issue?

Lol it's a known issue. Everyone has been dealing with it for a month now. So fucking annoying.

Is it a random issue. I literally haven't experienced it once since I switched off the ability to auto switch on my tv when the switch is turned on.

One thing I have noticed with Switch is that the colours seem washed out. Setting Black level to Low seems to fix it. Weird thing is that I always have it set to auto but each time I use the Switch, I have to manually set it to Low in order to make Auto use the Low setting. Otherwise Auto seems to switch back to Normal, which gives it a washed out look. Tldr there's something weird about the black level setting that means it doesn't default to Low even though it does when I manually set to Low and then flick back to auto.

Rbk_3

I love this TV so much (FF XV is a joy to behold in HDR omg) But for some reason it forgets my ps4's input setting name and icon every once in a while. It's happened a couple times. My video settings are still there and all I need to do is put the input name in again but it's a slight nuisance. Anyone else have this issue?

Yes, mine doesn't auto recognize my PS4 anymore.

Another thing, does HDMI 4 not do HDR? I got the Show on my PS4 Pro and when plugged into HDMI 4 it said my TV does not support HDR. I moved it to HDMI 2 and it worked.

Yes, mine doesn't auto recognize my PS4 anymore.

Another thing, does HDMI 4 not do HDR? I got the Show on my PS4 Pro and when plugged into HDMI 4 it said my TV does not support HDR. I moved it to HDMI 2 and it worked.
Did you enable it under settings? You have to turn it on for each input you want to use it for.

Madness

Thinking of picking up the 65in. Is this still best bargain tv for Gaming, 4K and HDR?

Price wise yes. Nothing still beats it for input lag, HDR10 capability and price. Though there are newer televisions that may eventually be a better value later this year.

GReeeeN

Need some advice receivng HDR10 from PC.

I'm running MEA from PC > TV using a 18gbs HDMI cable and trying to get HDR working. When I enable HDR in MEA, the colors look very very muted and "off", whilst with HDR off the colours look great and vibrant..

My NVIDIA Control Panel is outputting 4:2:2 at 12Bit. Running game mode on the TV. Any ideas?

Top Bottom