• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sly: Thieves In Time Coming To (Vita/PS3)!!

orioto

Good Art™
True. But I do believe that many potential buyers already have a PS3 and thereform multi-platform titles such as Sly or LBP Karting might not be enough to incentivize such an expensive purchase, given the fact that, anyway, they will be available on PS3.

I have a ps3 (even if i have to admit i don't play it a lot lately) but there is so much to play on it and so much large scale games. I can totally see a game like that as a Vita game and totally ignore the ps3 version of it. I did that with Motorstorm. Never installed the ps3 version and i don't see the point in doing that.

I can definitely decide that a game like that is perfect for the Vita and is, in my case, a Vita title. It's not like the PS3 dramatically needs games you see..

How do you think they'd do it? Like would they be identical copies and the vita version would cost less?

Magic!!! ^_^

It's such a strange thing: every single year, they intentionally or unintentionally blow their entire conference, like within 2 weeks of it.

It's intentional. David Jaffe said that it's better to cause some ripples on your own when people are still paying attention, than dive and drown in a sea of announcements during E3 week.

I have a ps3 (even if i have to admit i don't play it a lot lately) but there is so much to play on it and so much large scale games. I can totally see a game like that as a Vita game and totally ignore the ps3 version of it. I did that with Motorstorm. Never installed the ps3 version and i don't see the point in doing that.

I can definitely decide that a game like that is perfect for the Vita and is, in my case, a Vita title. It's not like the PS3 dramatically needs games you see..

I was talking from the perspective of a potential buyer.

Magic!!! ^_^

It's intentional. David Jaffe said that it's better to cause some ripples on your own when people are still paying attention, than dive and drown in a sea of announcements during E3 week.

Fair enough, just the last couple years, they've left very little for the actual conference which has it's own drawbacks in terms of impact factor.

True. But I do believe that many potential buyers already have a PS3 and thereform multi-platform titles such as Sly or LBP Karting might not be enough to incentivize such an expensive purchase, given the fact that, anyway, they will be available on PS3.

sly probably isn't going to be the game that will push people to buy a Vita, but for those that already have Vita, some of us actually prefer to play on Vita than PS3. portability is still a factor that may appeal to some people.

personally, I love my comfy couch PS3 setup, but I love my comfy bed with Vita setup even more. so if a game come out on both, and I don't think that games is compromised to much from the port to handheld, I much prefer to play/buy those games on my Vita. :D

Agent X

Is it just me or is Sony doing the Vita so poorly?

Its the same problem I had with the PSP. There's just no incentive for me to get it because almost all of the best games are just console franchise spinoffs, which would be better suited to a console to begin with. Sometimes they just end up getting ported to consoles like the GTA stories games for PS2 and those God of War PSP games that got put on PS3.

It's not like Nintendo and how they handle their handhelds. Sure it has the Mario and Zelda games, but it has other stuff which separates it like Pokemon, Professor Layton, Phoenix Wright, etc.

Even the Mario games are just more than spinoffs so it still differentiates itself from the mainline console Marios. (ex: Mario & Luigi)

I know the Vita is still new but everything that seems to be getting announced and developed is just PS3 games that can only be played on PSV. It would be cool if it was universal, but you have to buy the PSV version as well so why bother touting the "play anywhere" feature.

This isn't a spinoff. This is a mainline entry in the series, with a simultaneous release alongside the console version.

If Sony were to release an original title in the series, then people would complain that Sony treats their handhelds as "second-class citizens", that they're relegated to spinoff games and don't get the same love as their consoles when it comes to their big-name franchises. Then when Sony does something like this, people gripe that they're just the same games that are out for the consoles and Sony needs to do something different.

If you don't want the "exact same game" that's out on consoles, then this game isn't for you. In that case, look elsewhere in the Vita library. There are plenty of other games for the system that are original games that you can't get anywhere else.

Drencrom

Just finished the first Sly game in the HD collection, definitely exceeded my expectations. I'll be keeping an eye on this.

orioto

Good Art™
The Vita version looks great. Was genuinely surprised when I heard about this.

That said i will be careful about what people labeled "vita version footage" far from the launch, cause we now have many examples of ps3 version blatantly used as vita ones, then we discover the truth when the game is released (Mortal Kombat and Tekken vs Street comes to my mind, and of course the whole subrez debacle)

SykoTech

I don't have very fond memories of playing as Carmelita in Sly 3, even though she wasn't nearly as bad as those other guys. She looks a lot better here though, so I'm not bothered. The knight guy looks good as well. So far, it looks like the friends won't be much of an issue this time around.

Going by the GTTV episode it would appear that they've reached their goal of 60fps. That footage was buttery smooth.

Yep, great stuff.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
So friggin bought! Also is this considered a port if it comes out the same day?

It could probably still be considered a port if it was developed for PS3 then "downported" to Vita, but it's a pretty vague term either way.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Never played any game in the series, but I'm willing to try it out. The trailer looked fun.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Anyone want a new avatar?

Bpju3.png

yencid

Also does that mean that the console game will be $40 or the vita game $60 or 50.

Interesting now that i think about it.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Also does that mean that the console game will be $40 or the vita game $60 or 50.

Interesting now that i think about it.
I would love if the Vita version was $40 and the PS3 version was $60 and it included the digital Vita version. You start giving PS3 owners Vita versions of the games they're already buying and they'll pick up a Vita to play them and other games as well.

yencid

I would love if the Vita version was $40 and the PS3 version was $60 and it included the digital Vita version. You start giving PS3 owners Vita versions of the games they're already buying and they'll pick up a Vita to play them and other games as well.

Good point! Give them the intensive to want to pick it up. Didn't sony say that it was doing a buy one get both versions for a game? i dont remember which game it was, was it ruin?

Shtof

I'm pretty sure we'll get both versions for sixty dollah. It's a first party game, and Sony is doing this to sell Vitas. Vita was designed with ports in mind, so it's probably not too much of an expense for them.

Nice! I was hoping for this, if I get a Vita down the line, this will likely be my first game for it.

The visuals to me looked perfect for the Vita, kinda surprised about it being 30fps (where does it say this again?), but I've played Daxter and Lost Frontier on PSP, seems to be a trend with portable entries being 30fps and the console games being 60fps for some reason.

I bought Wipeout Pulse on PSP because the Vita 2048 demo really impressed me, and I like it so far!

Now how about Jak Vita? High Impact Games or Ready at Dawn, get to work!

Mikey Jr.

Buy the PS3 version, get the Vita version for an X amount off. Would vice versa work?

Seems like the best solution and the most realistic.

krae_man

It could have been a way to get the Vita's foot in the door. If people knew by buying the system they would have a sizable library of PS3 and PSN games that were automatically playable, it would make it more appealing. In a world of universal apps, nobody is going to buy the same game twice. The fact that Sony pushes that so hard in the MLB commercials, only if an interested consumer looks into it they find they have to spend nearly $100 FOR A SINGLE GAME, is so stupid. Clearly they knew it would be an important feature, what with the emphasis on transferring and showing RUNE at their e3 press conference, but they still dropped the ball. And don't give me this "They are two separate games with 2 separate budgets" stuff. For games like MLB or Sly, they should have planned this out from the beginning to NOT have 2 separate budgets. Make the Vita version a slightly downgraded straight port that you can do on the cheap. Use these games as something to get people interested as a complement to the higher profile exclusive stuff like Gravity Daze or Uncharted Golden Abyss.

Well, with the MLB game, they would have to pay the MLB and MLBPA royalty twice. So on the case of that game a small increase in price just to cover those(Say $5) would have been fine.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Great news! I'll get the Vita version then. I love Sly, but would love it even more on the go.

If they announced some kind of dual bundle like they did with MLB the Show, then I'll get that one. I already own the HD Collection on PS3, and wouldn't mind having the fourth on PS3, but I'd really prefer to play an awesome platformer on the Vita.

Carl

Sounds great to me. Not sure what platform i will buy it for now. More than likely Vita, i think.

Unless of course they do a cheapy bundle for both, in which case i will be severely tempted.

BadWolf

Unless a really good deal pops up between release and my getting a vita then I will probably hold off for the portable version.

ReaperXL7

Even if they did that, it would still be a console game on a handheld rather than a handheld game, and therefore illegitimate.

Seems more like a handheld game than a console game to me, but thats really only because this is the type of game i'd rather play on a handheld.

Some great announcements fro Vita recently, really hoping the E3 is good for it as i'd like to see it be successful enough to be a supported by third parties aswell.Creamsuger said they still have big announcements for it that should be coming soon, personally i'm hoping for a western RPG, but not too much longer to find out.

Turfster

Dude, I never played the previous Sly games either, but I picked up the HD-collection out now and just finished the 1st one last night. It's pretty good fun. Not really challenging or a time grinder
Bought these on the sale last week or the week before and immediately started playing them.
Sly 1 was pretty streamlined and fun.
2 was still fun, but added a lot of fucking irritating minigames and time-wasting padding. Still, finished it in one go.
3... 3 just plain sucks. Even more annoying twitchy minigames that you have to keep redoing over and over again if you fail them, and they killed the clue bottles! They basically removed the thieving/stealth aspect. I finished the first 'episode' and got a bit into the second one, but haven't gone back yet...

Still, I have hope for this new one.

Top Bottom