• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga Discussion/News Thread |OT4| New Ch/Vols! - SEE FIRST POST FOR RULES!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wiseblade

TLR Darkness 3

id8C8mlm8fUbN.bmp

So have accidental gropings been replaced with bathroom encounters? I'm still not fond of the tone shift. And Yami really isn't worth the effort.

Natsu's very generic, but I don't dislike him, really... I do find it annoying how he always gets the final fights (after the early part of the series), and he is a very generic shonen protagonist, but he's not as annoying as some of them. Oh, it was kind of different that he actually starts powerful, instead of weak like shonen protagonists usually do, but apart from that he's generic.

As for Grey, he's bland, but his backstory's decent. I find him more just somewhat uninteresting than anything, but he's not actively bad.

Keep in mind Natsu still has that "not an S-class mage"-thing going on.

Eventhough he's always been "strong" he's kept artificially weak in the story by never
quite getting that promotion.

Also DTL v.s. Big One is absolutely hilarious, I want more.

iavi

Body & Soul: 1-13[end]

Mangaupdates: http://www.mangaupdates.com/series.html?id=3369

This was relatively straightforward piece, full of cliche, but that actually made for less irritation than I thought it would, and more easy reading, really. Granted, Miku wasn't the smartest page in the book--continually dumb decisions (guys) for the purpose of thematic drive-home--but she did come to some development in the end, key word being some; unfortunately, for all of the hooplah that was said about 'being full in character, living your own life, making your own decisions etc...etc...' she... neither became much of a character nor ever made any decisions of her own... not even in the end. (Which I suspect is because the ending felt proper rushed/suspect, but disappointing nonetheless.) I would have liked to see the manga come to its thematic conclusion, at the least. It was getting there, albeit slowly. The art was ugly, but interesting. And, in the end, I'd think long & hard before recommending it, but I wouldn't bat an irate eye were you to say that you're reading it.

Lucy? Amazing?

She's dumb and ugly beyond belief.

This. Apart from litrally only two moments of potential glory, neither at her own hand, unison raid, and summoning the best summon
Loke
, shes pretty dumb and unappealing.

While I actually like the other characters (I think Natsu is pretty cool myself), Lucy is indeed fucking amazing and one of the best characters.

What even makes her the best, say, better than Gray?

Starting to think, Im the only Gray fan, fortunately he has tons of moments in the series and is consistently useful.

ZoddGutts

ZAupp.jpg

Liked the first chapter of Yamada-kun to 7-nin no Majo by the author of Yankee to Megane-chan. Just hope the series doesn't fizzle out like Yankee to Megane did.

http://www.mangaupdates.com/series.html?id=74942

For people looking for new decent shonen romance, Happy Project may interest you. It's about Japan having marriage setups that last for one month, anyone of 18 age must participate. The lead male character is likeable so far, so it has that going for.

http://www.mangaupdates.com/series.html?id=72872

Jumped on the bandwagon and started reading Magi. So far I am up through the second arc and I like it. The second arc was a step down from the first though for sure, and I would say it's due to Aladdin and Alibaba being separated. Looking forward to the start of the next arc.

gunbo13

Pajama na Kanojo ch1

Survivor stay away from this.

I'm warning you.

Don't even think about it.
Fuck yeah. New generic ecchi jump romcom. And it has pajama in the title! Much easier title then Harisugawa of the Mirror...ah fuck it.

PJ Girlfriend has strong potential and I haven't read one page!
TLR Darkness 3

And Yami really isn't worth the effort.
The fuck she isn't. Girl can transform herself and will have a body like Tear. Also tsundere, so we got this shit.
Also DTL v.s. Big One is absolutely hilarious, I want more.
I'm with DTL on this one cause he is interested in Accel World. BO is reading fucking FT so total disqualification.
Lucy? Amazing?

She's dumb and ugly beyond belief.
Lucy is fucking stupid. Whose weapon set is a bunch of keys? Oh wait...damn you Cage of Eden... Well, both characters suck. Anyone who uses keys sucks. Real men break down all doors.

PK Gaming

Wow we're STILL talking about Fairy Tail?
Big One, I don't know why you decided to re-read Fairy Tail. Either you're trolling DTL or you're damn bored (if you're bored why not read random manga X thats brought up daily.) 7
Honestly Lucy's not bad. Gratuitous fanservice can be annoying sometimes, but its Fairy Tail so really why are you guys being bent out of shape. Lucy's one of the rare few manga characters thats outrageously hot (like seriously, Mashima doesn't hold back with her) but also happens to be a comic relief character. Plus her summons pretty cool (at least the new ones; the original ones are terrible).

She still can't compare to Erza though. Erza is the single best thing thats happened to Fairy Tail.

Starting to think, Im the only Gray fan, fortunately he has tons of moments in the series and is consistently useful.

Nah, Gray's a boss.

Big One, I don't know why you decided to re-read Fairy Tail. Either you're trolling DTL or you're damn bored (if you're bored why not read random manga X thats brought up daily.)
You guys are both wrong btw, Erza is the single best thing thats happened to Fairy Tail (though Lucy's not bad. Gratuitous fanservice can be annoying sometimes, but its Fairy Tail lol)

Nah, Gray's a boss.

I think this is BO's first time reading Fairy Tail.

And the fanservice is the best part about FT

Big One

Banned
Big One, I don't know why you decided to re-read Fairy Tail. Either you're trolling DTL or you're damn bored (if you're bored why not read random manga X thats brought up daily.) 7
Honestly Lucy's not bad. Gratuitous fanservice can be annoying sometimes, but its Fairy Tail so really why are you guys being bent out of shape. Lucy's one of the rare few manga characters thats outrageously hot (like seriously, Mashima doesn't hold back with her) but also happens to be a comic relief character. Plus her summons pretty cool (at least the new ones; the original ones are terrible).

She still can't compare to Erza though. Erza is the single best thing thats happened to Fairy Tail.
This is more or less the first time I read Fairy Tail, but I did read the first volume which is why I barely commented on it. I'm also reading it very slow, so it isn't as focused as I was with Naruto and Bleach (I'm kind of busy irl). With that being said I completely agree with you about Lucy, easily the best thing about Fairy Tail.

Ezalc

The one thing I like about Luffy is how creative Oda got with his powers. I thought he'd just be some Mr. Fantastic like rip-off but the direction he took was completely different and one that I honestly had never even considered.

Also MangaGAF, I need some recommendations. I finished Bambino but because for some incredibly terrible reason Bambino Secondo can't be found anywhere. I need something like Bambino, not cooking related but in terms of story. All the characters are at least like 20, they aren't completely annoying generic teenagers and they have sex lives that are just normal. I want to read another manga like this but one that is exciting like how Bambino managed to be even though it's theme doesn't seem like it could lend itself to be. Anything out there that can compare?

Big One

Banned
Difference between Luffy and Gray character design:

Luffy - Is out on the sea, makes sense for him to where shorts, sandals, and a shirt that allows him to let loose. Has a scar for storyline reasons.
Gray - Is a mage, wears no clothes cause he forgets to where them. Has a tat because he's part of Fairy Tail (which is a tat that could be ANYWHERE ELSE other than his chest).

scy

Pajama na Kanojo 1 - I like the main girl (assuming the childhood friend is the main girl, anyway) so far, even if the potential other girl has a better design (long hair forever etc.).

I'm not sure what the gimmick is goi--oh. Well, shit.

The fuck is turmeric powder? Sounds like a disease.

It's a root vegetable similar to ginger. The more you know.

So I just finished reading the first volume of Bakuman through Viz's website. Sadly I chose one volume in that series and two volumes of Toriko which I haven't got around to reading yet. Loved Death Note but I hear Bakuman isn't as good anymore. Worth continuing to read? I'd probably just stick with physical volumes though over buying them online.

survivor

Banned
So I just finished reading the first volume of Bakuman through Viz's website. Sadly I chose one volume in that series and two volumes of Toriko which I haven't got around to reading yet. Loved Death Note but I hear Bakuman isn't as good anymore. Worth continuing to read? I'd probably just stick with physical volumes though over buying them online.

It's not that it isn't good since the earlier parts are very well done. The problem is that the manga shouldn't exist anymore. They just keep going on and on by creating dumb scenarios to prevent them from getting an anime and it's getting tiring and stupid.

Solune

ZAupp.jpg

Liked the first chapter of Yamada-kun to 7-nin no Majo by the author of Yankee to Megane-chan. Just hope the series doesn't fizzle out like Yankee to Megane did.

http://www.mangaupdates.com/series.html?id=74942
This sounds somewhat promising. The pacing and character development after the halfway point in Yankee to Megane was excrutiating to bear with. May look into your other suggestion.
Lucy is fucking stupid. Whose weapon set is a bunch of keys? Oh wait...damn you Cage of Eden... Well, both characters suck. Anyone who uses keys sucks. Real men break down all doors.

Kingdom Hearts on blast

How does a scar on his chest make him less cool?

I dont understand, its a scar right dead center in his chest, distracting. Even more, its like a permanent sign that he had a moment in which he was brutally defeated. Unless I missed a memo, scars, and in that position are not cool. Fortunately Ace never had one.

Difference between Luffy and Gray character design:

Luffy - Is out on the sea, makes sense for him to where shorts, sandals, and a shirt that allows him to let loose. Has a scar for storyline reasons.
Gray - Is a mage, wears no clothes cause he forgets to where them. Has a tat because he's part of Fairy Tail (which is a tat that could be ANYWHERE ELSE other than his chest).

Maga > Pirate. Gray gets stronger when he lets loose, the better gimmick in my opinion, its like you know hes about to get serious.
tumblr_ltw06zeKJL1qis6bco1_500.gif

Pumps the reader up when it happens, and it always calls forth a chuckle. Not to mention no clothes is a storyline reason. Luffy on the other does what? Nothing? Your statement kind of illuminates and elucidates upon which character has more going for them as more thought-out, well-rounded, and cool.

Metal B

I dont understand, its a scar right dead center in his chest, distracting. Even more, its like a permanent sign that he had a moment in which he was brutally defeated. Unless I missed a memo, scars, and in that position are not cool. Fortunately Ace never had one.

Come one, You have to be joking! You pretty much answering your own question ...

Maga > Pirate. Gray gets stronger when he lets loose, the better gimmick in my opinion, its like you know hes about to get serious.

Pumps the reader up when it happens, and it always calls forth a chuckle. Not to mention no clothes is a storyline reason. Luffy on the other does what? Nothing? Your statement kind of illuminates and elucidates upon which character has more going for them as more thought-out, well-rounded, and cool.
One one hand he lived his hole life at or over the ocean, that's why he looks like a person from a small fishing village. It's tells about his background, his life and his easy mindset. On the other hand he attacks with changing his body. More skin means more option without cloth getting in the way and trick people into shooting and punsh him (what gives him an advantage) Also it's easier to draw and color him, especially while using his powers.

so it ended? did whats his face hook up with the girl?

kinda...

if you want to read.

something happens and she bails from school and never got to graduate, him and everyone else did, went to college, etc and he became a teacher at the high school. While in the boys bathroom he hears a familar voice who says they are gonna do this school thing again (so shes back at school as a student and it will be like the first chapter of the series)

scy

kinda...

if you want to read.

something happens and she bails from school and never got to graduate, him and everyone else did, went to college, etc and he became a teacher at the high school. While in the boys bathroom he hears a familar voice who says they are gonna do this again (so shes back at school as a student and it will be like the first chapter of the series)

"Kinda"?

Seriously, such a terrible ending

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
kinda...

if you want to read.

something happens and she bails from school and never got to graduate, him and everyone else did, went to college, etc and he became a teacher at the high school. While in the boys bathroom he hears a familar voice who says they are gonna do this school thing again (so shes back at school as a student and it will be like the first chapter of the series)

thats how it ends? heh heh heh. im so glad i dropped that shit. and i know i wont have to touch his next series as a bonus.

smurfx

get some go again
kinda...

if you want to read.

lol dear lord that is a terrible ending.

Diablos54

Posts like this is why I just can't take you seriously when talking about FT...

And the best things about FT are without a doubt Erza, Juiva and maybe Lucy. Pretty much everyone else is too generic or just plain boring IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom