• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What, are you reading? (January 2009)

Peru

Intheheartofthecountry.jpg

But who would give me a baby, who would not turn to ice at the spectacle of my bony frame on the wedding-couch, the coat of fur up to my navel, the acrid cavities of my armpits, the line of black moustache, the eyes, watchful, defensive, of a woman who has never lost posession of herself? What huffing and puffing there would have to be before my house could be blown down! Who could wake my slumbering eggs? And who would attend my childbed? My father, scowling, with a whip? The brown folk, cowed servitors, kneeling to offer a trussed lamb, first fruits, wild honey, sniggering at the miracle of the virgin birth? Out of his hole he pokes his snout, son of the father, Antichrist of the desert come to lead his dancing hordes to the promised land.

Coetzee is my favorite author.

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
Just finished re-reading this
apprentice.jpg

Now onto re-reading this
royal.jpg

Downloaded a bunch of Audio books as well, never done them before so will see how i go with em. :D

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy said:
apprentice.jpg

Now onto re-reading this
royal.jpg

Downloaded a bunch of Audio books as well, never done them before so will see how i go with em. :D

Any chance you'd send those to me :D

I'd love to pick those up but money is super tight

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

iDoubleSpy said:
Any chance you'd send those to me :D

I'd love to pick those up but money is super tight

No chance brudda, i own every single one of her books, even her Megan Lindholm ones, favorite author, just infront of R.E Feist. :D

No chance brudda, i own every single one of her books, even her Megan Lindholm ones, favorite author, just infront of R.E Feist. :D

Well my birthday is in 2 weeks so I guess this is what i'll pick up. What is your suggestions to start on?

Anything with that nice cover art + the word assassin will get me interested

2DMention

Banned
51lHQVCUaqL._SL160_.jpg

Reading this after hearing about it in the "books about games" thread. Enjoying it so far.

I'm not much for fiction; I'd rather get it by playing RPGs.

So far, this month, I've read:

Gone With the Wind

n1xbux.jpg

I made a thread detailing my thoughts. It dragged out a little longer than it needed to, but I found the backdrop and atmosphere absolutely fascinating. Can anyone recommend me some good books on the American Civil War?

The Princess Bride

fn8pqv.jpg

This was my first exposure to The Princess Bride and I absolutely loved it. It's fantastic.

And I'm currently working on:

Dracula

2ijsx0i.jpg

The first few chapters with Jonathan were fantastic, but as things were getting good, suddenly it's back to character introduction in England with Mina and Lucy. The break of pace was jarring. Still, it's fantastically creepy so far and this Dracula so different to Gary Oldman's take on it.

thomaser

Just finished Jean Genet's "Our Lady of the Flowers". Trippy, loosely strung together story about a small number of Parisian male prostitutes. Hard to tell which parts are fiction and which are self-biographical. Hard to tell anything, really, without concentrating on every sentence - Genet's language is very complex, and his symbolism is strange. Good read that probably demands several reads if you want to understand it well.

51JMZS7BKML._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Starting Robert Musil's "The Man Without Qualities", vol. 1. I've read his "Young Törless" before and enjoyed it. This seems like something entirely different, though. It's 20 times longer for a start - around 1200 pages for both volumes, with small, closely set text. Has anyone here read it? My version is a cheap, flimsy one (not the one pictured), so I'm afraid the book will fall apart before I'm halfway through.

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

iDoubleSpy said:
Well my birthday is in 2 weeks so I guess this is what i'll pick up. What is your suggestions to start on?

Anything with that nice cover art + the word assassin will get me interested

Just go with the chronological order and you cant go wrong,

The Farseer Trilogy
Assassin's Apprentice
Royal Assassin
Assassin's Quest

First book starts out a bit slow but after reading these 3 you will be in love with the characters i shit you not so you will want more!!!!

Theres a 15 year gap story wise between the Assassins series and the Tawny Man series which is taken up with the Live Ship Traders series, real good as well, but doesnt involve the characters from the other books for the most part. Well worth the read.

The Tawny Man Trilogy
Fool's Errand
Golden Fool
Fool's Fate

Also awesome books.

Just go with the chronological order and you cant go wrong,

The Farseer Trilogy
Assassin's Apprentice
Royal Assassin
Assassin's Quest

First book starts out a bit slow but after reading these 3 you will be in love with the characters i shit you not so you will want more!!!!

Theres a 15 year gap story wise between the Assassins series and the Tawny Man series which is taken up with the Live Ship Traders series, real good as well, but doesnt involve the characters from the other books for the most part. Well worth the read.

The Tawny Man Trilogy
Fool's Errand
Golden Fool
Fool's Fate

Also awesome books.

23.97 for all 3 of the Farseer. Thanks for the info :D going to order monday.

zaxor0

For school:
68_8.JPG

Descartes - Selected Philosophical Writings

8414225b9da0cdaeaa3e2110.L.jpg

Kierkegaard - Fear and Trembling (pretty much amazing)

Reading group with friends:
51OpeN9kQQL.jpg

Merleau-Ponty - Phenomenology of Perception

For pleasure:
31FNWHA224L.jpg

Orwell - 1984

Druz said:
Really good so far

I was listening to NPR one morning at work and heard about a book where some guy travels into a black hole is travels 1000 years into the future. I really wish I could remember the name of the book.

Socreges

Banned
i really do enjoy seeing what people are reading for some reason. i mean, we can assume that virtually every book out there is being read at this point, just some more than others. yet these threads still intrigue me. maybe it's the variety or relating particular books to particular people, i'm not sure.

JUST FINISHED:

roadb.jpg

From what I've seen of these threads lately, this has been the most-read book on GAF and it ought to be. If you haven't read it or started reading it, do so now. It's now circulating through a group of my friends. :)

NOW READING:

cronica_de_una_muerte_anunciada.jpg

Impossible. I'm reading it in Spanish, thinking my skills were up to snuff, but unfortunately I'll have to put it aside until I build my vocabulary. I'm a bit disappointed. I can understand what's going on and it's even pretty educational since I discover the words I don't know, but it's just TOO jilting when there is so many words I've never seen before.

when-you-are-engulfed-in-flames-hardcover-small.jpg

Really funny, but when he's not supremely clever I begin to lose interest and only press on to reach the next short-story.... until I soon come across another set of hilarious observations. It's a really nice, light read and stood as a comforting contrast to The Road until I put it down since the latter was too amazing.

b090HB_lg.gif

Has anyone read this? Are there any segments that aren't essential? I've just completed "Why We Are Moral" and feel I could walk away now fairly satisfied. :lol

nitewulf

0441014038.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

mmmmh.

sometimes you wanna hump a book because its so good, gushing with such creativity and genius ideas. stross is a fantastic writer...he is like stephenson minus the bad writing + a lot more creativity.

Alucard

Banned
I recently finished Life, The Universe, and Everything by Douglas Adams. I enjoyed it, although it was pretty crazy and went all over the place. Not that Adams' previous books weren't confusing in parts, but this one in particular had my head spinning. I think it would be a lot better taken in one long sitting so you can recall all of the minute details as you go.

I've moved on to So Long, and Thanks for all the Fish, and I am loving it. It is the most straight forward narrative that I've read from Adams so far. I'm about 60 pages from the end and am psyched to see where it goes. I think Adams does better with shorter books in this series, like The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, and now this one.

Kildace

A bit LttP on this thread.

Finished

417E2JM443L._SS500_.jpg

Good book. Palanhiuk is a talented author that I for some reason overlooked before stumbling upon Rant last November. I felt that it was a tad weaker than Rant but there again Rant was awesome.

a-wild-sheep-chase.jpg

My first Murakami book and I loved it. His writing style is engrossing.

Now reading

51HDYDZG32L._SS500_.jpg

Only 70 pages in but it started out great. I love Pratchett's later books and I'm so sad that I only have a handful left to read. I've already bought Nation but won't read it until he stops writing I think.

bengraven

Finished the Kite Runner last week and I Am Legend the week before. I finished Roverandom last night (very short).

Now I'm debating between:

3295.jpg

and

jstrange_bw.jpg

Ogni-XR21

Witchfinder General said:
Great book. Not sure if you've read it but his earlier novel, The Hot Zone is fantastic and based on actual events.

No, haven't read The Hot Zone, a colleague actually recommended me this one... might give it a go once I finish this.

Skittleguy

Ring a Bell for me
tropic-of-cancer.jpg

Every cover of this book seems to have some form of topless woman.

It's absolute filth, but somehow enjoyable. Amazing that it caused such a ruckus over censorship of indecency back in the 1930s, and yet it would still probably be considered filthy today :lol

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

apprentice.jpg

Now onto re-reading this
royal.jpg

quest.jpg

Onto the last book now, almost 1/3 of the way 1542 pages of pure awesomes and some more to come...... then onto the Tawny man series :)

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Just finished:

2zrjgbp.jpg

Pretty good, I think I'll actually try reading some more from this series in the future, at least the ones with John Carter as the protagonist.

sblr2c.jpg

Fun and grisly. People get slaughtered so wantonly here, it's hilariously awesome. There were two weird transitions between panels that didn't make sense to me, and occasionally awkward dialogue, but all in all it was good stuff. It was largely coincidental that I read these back to back, but Mark Andrews is co-writing the John Carter of Mars film with Andrew Stanton. He's a good choice.

Not sure what's up next. Something sci-fi.

Fritz

41fcZjujDXL.jpg

A collection of Tolstoi novels. Really good but not Chekhov.

Also I got the Flood by Le Clezio. Has anyone read it?

YYZ

Goddamnit, yes God-fucking-damnit, I just finished The Shack and it was a fucking chore to read. Wow, I do not like that book. It had some redeeming quotes in there, but man those types of stories make me sick. I am going to be EXTREMELY skeptical and hesitant when considering religious books now, seems like all the praise came from God-fearing people.

Now I'm reading this:

world_war_z_book_cover.jpg

Yagharek

Ive had an amazingly good run of reading of late. Over the past two months I have knocked over:

The Odyssey (Homer)
Foucault's Pendulum (Umberto Eco)
V for Vendetta
Watchmen (just started it)

Thinking of picking up either Ulysses or, as reminded by a post higher up this page, Bram Stoker's Dracula.

Wanace

Just finished reading "The Hour I First Believed" by Wally Lamb. It was pretty good.

Also wrapped up "Oracle Bones" by Peter Hessler. Nonfiction about living in China and some other stuff.

Now I'm reading "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas," "Into the Wild," and "Colors of the Mountain," a memoir of growing up in China.

Chony

Got this at the library, nothing I didn't really know before, but a fun read:

thegoddelusion.jpg

I'm working my way through the introduction:

0465026567_01_LZZZZZZZ.jpg

And for fun:

Castaneda-journey%20to%20ixtlan.jpg

Top Bottom