• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (August 09)

totowhoa

Banned
Currently on chapter 2 of children of Dune. Don't understand the hate for the sequels yet! Love Herbert's style. Will read son's ending of main series despite the hate.

Midas

51T6WK22xgL._SS500_.jpg

And I haven't read High Fidelity yet for unkown reasons, but I just got it this Friday (won an eBay auction), so I'm gonna read that as well. :)

hack646

Space Cadet said:
Did you read An Introduction to Metaphysics first? It will help, a lot. Good luck, man!

No I haven't, this is my first time reading Heidegger. I have read a bit of Kant, Nietzsche, and Kierkegaard though so I am not totally going in blind. I'm still struggling though, so maybe I'll pick up his other works and read those first.

Asbel

Gilgamesh said:
lolwut.jpg
:) I would actually prefer a book of better quality than Mass Effect (1st book was fun) but it's the only galaxy spanning title I know of set in our galaxy. That's what I meant.

tekumseh

a mass of phermones, hormones and adrenaline just waiting to explode
Every summer for at least 20 years, I've worked my way through these:

250px-FooteVols1-3.jpg
The Civil War, A Narrative by Shelby Foote

In my estimation, Foote is easily the best observer of history I've ever read, with apologies to Doris Kearns Goodwin, Stephen Ambrose, and James McPherson among others. Spanning almost 3000 pages, I've never once not been able to complete the series once I've started it. If you have any interest in US history, these books are requisite reading....

hack646 said:
No I haven't, this is my first time reading Heidegger. I have read a bit of Kant, Nietzsche, and Kierkegaard though so I am not totally going in blind. I'm still struggling though, so maybe I'll pick up his other works and read those first.

Heidegger is more difficult than Kant, in my opinion. The Introduction is a good distillation of his idea of being, which you should be quite familiar with before attempting Being and Time. You can definitely read Being first, but it makes it so much easier if you have read Introduction. Just my two cents; both are difficult books.

Helmholtz, The Road is fantastic, bleak but fantastic. So many memories of that book. Good imagery, set pieces, prose.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
hack646 said:

Basic Writings is an easy to find compilation of shorter pieces and extracts that I think is a good alternative beginning.

PYGMY-1_5688.jpg

Awesome book but REALLY hard to read as it's written from the perspective of a 7 year old soviet terrorist...in broken english and misused grammar.

Highly recommended.

Big-E

CajoleJuice said:
That's a good place to start, but keep in mind that it'll take you a little while to get into it.

Ya, I am 40 pages in and it is quite a slow read as I have to go to the list of keyterms in the back to get definitions of words but I like as I am pretty much trained to get through any book no matter how dry it is.

Narag

Started this today as I've a friend who adores Beagle. I figure I'd be doing him a disservice if I didn't check up on his favorite author.

51CoEFDzD1L._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA240_SH20_OU01_.jpg

SmashBrosAwesome said:
m798ao.jpg

Don't know why I hadn't heard of this book sooner- it's a great companion to anyone who has even the slightest interest in science.

Try out his other books. I personally recommend The Life and Times of the Thunderbolt Kid and A Walk in the Woods. Both are hilarious and insightful at the same time. I like the way he compares stuff and makes you realize just how vast the world is.

Edit: I just read all the Scott Pilgrim comics today, not sure if those count. I've also recently finished Empire Falls, Hard Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World, Catcher in the Rye, and Snow Crash. I had a vacation, so I got a lot of time to read.

I need to read Invisible Man next, along with The Colour Purple for school. Hopefully they are better than some of the previous summer reading I've had.

Jayge said:
I'm going to go to Borders, pick up the entire Song of Ice and Fire collection that's out right now and power through it in a week.
There's no rush. Martin won't be finished with Dance for like seven more years at the pace he's going :|

Man, he is so going to die before he finishes this series.

baultista

Banned
I've finally started tearing away at the rest of the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy Series.

Right now I'm about half-way through The Restaurant at the End of the Universe. I hope to be finished them all by September.

On a side note, I'm also reading Laura Stamm's Powerskating. I'm gonna be an impact player this season! I've been sidelined for two weeks with a knee injury, but I'm hoping to resume exercising next week, and eventually try out some of the drills on Saturday.

movie_club

movie_club said:
After getting bored with A game of thrones
ill try again someday!
, and being unable to get into a book in a long time im trying out these two, does anyone have any opinions on them?

Invisible_man_cover_art.jpg

200px-Littleprince.JPG
Well i started, and finished the little prince today. Wow, what an amazing and sad story, i highly recommended it to ANYONE. and hmmm i dont think i want to read the invisible man..ugh what to read....

Salazar

SmashBrosAwesome said:
m798ao.jpg

Don't know why I hadn't heard of this book sooner- it's a great companion to anyone who has even the slightest interest in science.

You should give Martin Gardner and Stephen Jay Gould a shot.

Stopsign said:
Try out his other books. I personally recommend The Life and Times of the Thunderbolt Kid and A Walk in the Woods. Both are hilarious and insightful at the same time. I like the way he compares stuff and makes you realize just how vast the world is.

Salazar said:
You should give Martin Gardner and Stephen Jay Gould a shot.

Thanks for the suggestions! Will definitely check out some of those titles next.

movie_club said:
Well i started, and finished the little prince today. Wow, what an amazing and sad story, i highly recommended it to ANYONE. and hmmm i dont think i want to read the invisible man..ugh what to read....

That book absolutely destroys me every time I read it. If you can read it in French, do so; it's just beautiful.

Personally, I sat down and read Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince last night after seeing the movie a week ago. I'm still working through Thomas Mann's epic Joseph and His Brothers.

mujun

9780380820221.jpg

About to finish it up, absolutely loved the series. Going to do a lot of reading this month as I'll be overseas on holidays and away from games. Plan on reading : Altered Carbon (again), Permutation City, The Way of Shadows, Singularity Sky and Perdido Street Station.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Currently starting:

Altered_Carbon_cover_1_%28Amazon%29.jpg

So far, it hasn't reached out and grabbed me. I'm only one chapter deep, however. I don't even know what the central mystery is. Given the book's high praise, I'm obviously going to stick with it and give it a real shot.

After I'm through with it... not 100% sure what I'll move on to. I have a bunch of good unread SF/Fantasy on my bookshelf (The Name of the Wind, A Game of Thrones, A Fire Upon the Deep...), but I'm kind of in the mood for some thief/rogue/pirate fantasy, and I've heard good things about The Lies of Locke Lamora, so maybe I'll grab that.

I've been reading a lot of SF/Fantasy lately, too. So I might go for something a little more traditional. I have several unread contemporary fiction & non-fiction books on the bookshelf, too. In fact, abotu 50% of my bookshelf is disturbingly unread...

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Finished Matter at the start of July, so starting:

358o1gx.jpg

Still listening to the audiobook of this:

344qxp4.jpg

Reading some other stuff for work too.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
51NSMZRX33L._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA240_SH20_OU01_.jpg

I've been reading this. It's amazing and I can't wait to read his other works as well. After I'm done with this one, it will be these two.

61kCI1RqBVL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA240_SH20_OU01_.jpg

41uS7KZ9g9L._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA240_SH20_OU01_.jpg

_Isaac

I have finished The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova. It was meh. It was a bit too much travelogue and not enough horror/mystery. The ending was just horrible and the pacing and structure was oddly similar to a video game. It was very much "Thank you Mario, but Dracula is in another country." We then venture to yet another Eastern European town, and Ms. Kostova just loves to describe the architecture for us at length.

I am now working on Dark Tower I

Can someone recommend an actual horror/scary book? Novel or non fiction, doesn't matter. I mean something that really gets your nerves going, where if you are reading it by yourself at night you really have that uneasy feeling. I have been looking for something of this nature for quite some time but have yet to find it.

tekumseh said:
Every summer for at least 20 years, I've worked my way through these:

250px-FooteVols1-3.jpg
The Civil War, A Narrative by Shelby Foote

In my estimation, Foote is easily the best observer of history I've ever read, with apologies to Doris Kearns Goodwin, Stephen Ambrose, and James McPherson among others. Spanning almost 3000 pages, I've never once not been able to complete the series once I've started it. If you have any interest in US history, these books are requisite reading....

Perhaps some may consider him too easy to read or what have you but my favorite author is David McCullough. The way he writes, it's so descriptive that I almost feel that I am reliving history. If Foote is as descriptive or more so than McCullough then I would be very interested.

Top Bottom