• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Better Call Saul S3 |OT| Gus Who's Back - Mondays 10/9c on AMC

Lothar

Banned
Didn't see anyone else bringing up silly Breaking Bad fan theories about Gus being the devil /shrug

If you read my earlier posts, you'll see that I agree with you that Walt wasn't a monster at the beginning

I think I misread your last line as sarcasm, maybe. What's this about spying on Walt with birds?

I thought it was just another post saying Gus wasn't a monster and being sarcastic about it, my bad, I'm sorry. In that case, I replied to the wrong person.

(I don't think he was being sincere about the threat to murder Walt's entire family. I think he was just saying that to get Walt to stop. But that's besides the point.)

MrBadger

L

O

L

What show were they watching?

I think I misread your last line as sarcasm, maybe. What's this about spying on Walt with birds?

I thought it was just another post saying Gus wasn't a monster and being sarcastic about it, my bad, I'm sorry. In that case, I replied to the wrong person.

(I don't think he was being sincere about the threat to murder Walt's entire family. I think he was just saying that to get Walt to stop. But that's besides the point.)

Found it!

https://www.reddit.com/r/breakingba...w_it_sounds_crazy_but_i_strongly_believe_gus/

Gus also has the power to transform into a fly

Damaniel

Banned
The shot for the car crash was so well done, it really caught me off guard how sudden it was, I hadn't ever seen a shot like that in a TV show or movie

Sadly I've actually done this before, and the suddenness of a fatigue-induced crash is pretty well captured by that shot. I was legitimately freaked out by it.

Robot Pants

Gus is absolutely a monster.

Tell me you're not serious.

tumblr_m6k2gqQ1lf1qg2mnwo2_500.gif

Look at this nice man.

Yea pretty sure he ordered the murder of a child too. Until Walt got in the way

Gale, for God's sake. His name is Gale.
Dark Souls 3 is still fresh in the mind

Tankard

This finale! Expecting this for a while, but it's still sad to see.

And i'm right there with Bob Odenkirk ,been saying this for so long. All i wanted at first was to see Saul Goodman, now i'm really not looking forward to it. Jimmy, please =(

Lautaro

Uhh implication in BB was that Gus was a general under Pinochet. He absolutely is a monster.

Haha I really hope they don't try to pull that off, if you think the chilean army can have a black general (especially in Pinochet era) you don't know them also black chileans are pretty scarce.

My theory is that the whole Gus being chilean is a cover up for something else. Hank couldn't find records about a Gustavo Fring in Chile for a start.

Seen a few comments like this the last few weeks; not really feeling the same way. They've barely shown her personality; she's a new employee acting a bit meek at this point. If she has a darker side she wouldn't have shown it in BCS at this point.
In her first scene being interviewed by Jimmy they asked her why she left the DMV, Franchesca seems unsure about answering and then replies with a comment about there being too much red tape, which is about when Jimmy settles on her.
There's your moment, why haven't people realized this.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
In her first scene being interviewed by Jimmy they asked her why she left the DMV, Franchesca seems unsure about answering and then replies with a comment about there being too much red tape, which is about when Jimmy settles on her.
There's your moment, why haven't people realized this.
Yeah, that indicates something in that sense, but she's still vastly different from how she acts in BB, to the point people don't even recognize her. Not surprising that viewers are curious about how her character will develop without it feeling forced, because there's no way they can giver her the same level of care and focus they're able to give Jimmy.

Haha I really hope they don't try to pull that off, if you think the chilean army can have a black general (especially in Pinochet era) you don't know them also black chileans are pretty scarce.

My theory is that the whole Gus being chilean is a cover up for something else. Hank couldn't find records about a Gustavo Fring in Chile for a start.
Well that may certainly be true. But there are a lot of things he could be tied up in that are worse than the drug trade that are quite tantalizing to imagine.

riotous

Banned
I doubt that she's pretending to be meek and hiding her darker side, mostly because that would be the least interesting they could do with her character.

I guess I just don't think it will be that interesting either way; she's mostly just an aloof / annoyed secretary in BB who clearly develops a dislike for Walt. That melt down scene is a unique scenario for the character, so I don't know why we'd see much "development" along the way for her. Guess we shall see, and maybe not agree ;)

Anyone think we've seen the last of Hamlin? With Chuck gone we really don't need HHM storylines around anymore at all.

Unless, as others have suggested, Jimmy starts fighting with HHM for the remainder of Chuck’s buyout. Otherwise yeah, it seems like his role in the show would be winding down.

Only four more to go from season 2 of my second time watching it. Man you gotta love Kim. Mad at Jimmy and they are taking a break but she's having a tough time at work and unsure what to do and decides to call Jimmy up for a new "target" in that restaurant. Jimmy in the middle of his own job doesn't even think twice about it and he goes there.

I love this bond these two got going here and it makes it all the more sad when you just know what the inevitable outcome will be. I just love everything about this show. I like both the slow parts with Jimmy and the more suspense/BB parts of Mike, Nacho etc, love it. There's no good and no bad guy here and I root for several of these people. And man I don't remember Jimmy being this likeable in BB. Really gotta give that a second go as well.

BB and BCS are easily my favorite shows of these last few years.

CHC

Am I weird that i want to see a show about Mike as a dirty cop?

Nope, he's a fan favorite. Personally I'm a bit over him in this show just because his story is so low-stakes. Once the episode about him shooting his son's killers aired, I felt like I got my closure with Mike. Some of the investigative scenes with him have verged on fan-service and personally I think he's a little too "perfect," but I wouldn't blame anyone for wanting to see more of him.

I've always felt that there was some Nazi connection, but I guess that's where my mind goes when I think of South America + Germany (no offense to anyone with that background, I've just seen too many documentaries). Not that Gus himself is a Nazi obviously, but some kind of past connection there could be a thing. Obviously I don't think the show is going to go there, nor should it, but it's fun to speculate.

riotous

Banned
I've always felt that there was some Nazi connection, but I guess that's where my mind goes when I think of South America + Germany (no offense to anyone with that background, I've just seen too many documentaries). Not that Gus himself is a Nazi obviously, but some kind of past connection there could be a thing. Obviously I don't think the show is going to go there, nor should it, but it's fun to speculate.

Could explain his bad accent; The Boys From Chile. Raised with a domineering civil servant father, who died mysteriously at 65. Gustavo enjoyed photography and training his Dobermans.

riotous

Banned
While we are all here stressing it's probably assumed at AMC that the show will run it's course, so no reason to make a big announcement about the inevitable lol.

Yes, a few posters beat you to it. I guess you didn't see them. Ignore Gus. That was not the point of the post.

Let's stick to Gail was not a monster.

No.

You specifically mentioned that Gus was not a monster.

You were proven wrong.

Eat your crow, don't try to retcon real life.

Altazor

My personal theory is that Gus was a part of DINA/CNI (the Intelligence Division of the Pinochet dictatorship, in charge of repression/kidnapping/torturing/a lot of really evil shit), not necessarily a General but just a part of it, and he ran away to the US under a completely different identity. Considering the DINA/CNI was allegedly involved in drug dealing, the man would know the business. And its agents were ruthless men who intimidated/kidnapped/tortured others for a living... so, yeah.

Lothar

Banned
No.

You specifically mentioned that Gus was not a monster.

You were proven wrong.

Eat your crow, don't try to retcon real life.

Negative. He's a bad guy, not a monster. He was probably bluffing when he said he was killing Walt's whole family. Walt was provoking him. He had to say something.

If he was really a monster, people wouldn't feel for him when Hector is being an asshole to him. Many in this thread (perhaps even most or all) have taken Gus's side in their feud this season. Many mentioned that they were upset when they remembered that Hector had the last laugh.

I think this show and its predecessor are known partly for their portrayal of multifaceted characters with complicated motivations and faults, so it's not unusual to feel sorry for Gus when he's being mistreated by a jealous cartel tyrant and simultaneously think he's a monster for threatening to kill Walt's child (did that happen, or am I thinking of Jack?).

My personal theory is that Gus was a part of DINA/CNI (the Intelligence Division of the Pinochet dictatorship, in charge of repression/kidnapping/torturing/a lot of really evil shit), not necessarily a General but just a part of it, and he ran away to the US under a completely different identity. Considering the DINA/CNI was allegedly involved in drug dealing, the man would know the business. And its agents were ruthless men who intimidated/kidnapped/tortured others for a living... so, yeah.
I like this.

Azzanadra

Negative. He's a bad guy, not a monster. He was probably bluffing when he said he was killing Walt's whole family. Walt was provoking him. He had to say something.

If he was really a monster, people wouldn't feel for him when Hector is being an asshole to him. Many in this thread (perhaps even most or all) have taken Gus's side in their feud this season. Many mentioned that they were upset when they remembered that Hector had the last laugh.

My memory is a bit rough, but wasn't it Walt's paranoia that drove him to kill Gus anyways? Before Gus's threat (which I thought was a bluff anyways) Gus did not seem especially concerned with Walt, and Jesse wouldn't cook for Gus if something "final" were to happen to Mr. White. So I think Gus' terrifying death threat to Walt and his whole family is just that - a threat. Since Gus knows (or at least still believes) that Walt is doing it for the family, this would be good enough motivation for Walt to stay away.

riotous

Banned
My favorite part about the non-monster Gus brutally murdering his loyal worker just to scare Walt and Jesse was Mike backing up and pointing his gun at Gus like "THE FUCK?"

Lothar

Banned
My favorite part about the non-monster Gus brutally murdering his loyal worker just to scare Walt and Jesse was Mike backing up and pointing his gun at Gus like "THE FUCK?"

If Gus is a monster, then Mike should have pulled the trigger. He shouldn't have been protective over him and angry at Walt for killing him. Unless.. Mike is a monster too. Oh no.

Don Elario calls him General.

And for the guy insisting Gus isn't a monster, lol. Dude has no problem using child runners, killing them or anyone else that got in his way. He was saying that to Walt because he would do it, at the same time trying to convince Jesse to let him kill him.

Cmon son, just take your L.

In case anyone else wants to go down the rabbit hole of Chilean intelligence, torture, assassinations. chemical weapons, bioweapons, and black cocaine:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eugenio_Berríos

Carbonox

Binge watched the latest season over yesterday and today (late to the party I know). Thoroughly enjoyed it and it was great to see Gus return.

Also, watching Mike this season made me hate Walt even more in Breaking Bad now that I look back.

I'm 99% close to starting up Breaking Bad from the start and binge watching the fuck out of it again (would be the first time going through it since I watched the show when it was airing). BCS has gotten me in the mood massively. I also wonder what my experience will be like after all these years and after watching 3 seasons of BCS.

I just got to the parts where Saul starts figuring into BB on my rewatch and yeah he's got a way to fall for sure. But I also wouldn't fault them for not getting right up to the second BB starts because his shtick is pretty two-dimensional and I think the fun and enjoyment of BCS is how nuanced and layered it is. I'm really gonna miss Chuck for that reason.

Also Walt's a fuck-up and an asshole pretty much from the start, that's for sure. They do a terrible job of making his marriage seem like anything other than a hell pit though so I think the show is partly at fault for making large swathes of the audience hate Skyler, who isn't given nearly enough room to develop and be anything other than a shrew. Like I have no idea what their marriage was like when it's good because even at the best of times it feels like they can barely tolerate each other. I have no idea why they ever got together. It's a really weak side of the show.

The shot for the car crash was so well done, it really caught me off guard how sudden it was, I hadn't ever seen a shot like that in a TV show or movie
I think it's one of the best car crashes I've ever seen on screen. The fact that it doesn't actually show the crash at all is something I've never seen before. It really puts the viewer right in there with Kim.

When? I don't remember any moment with Don Eladio calling him "general", I even watched some clips in youtube (Gus flashback in BB) and there's no mention of it.

It was Hector during a flashback of the cousins fighting. He mocked him as Generalisimo Chicken while on the phone with Bolsa.

Lothar

Banned
I just got to the parts where Saul starts figuring into BB on my rewatch and yeah he's got a way to fall for sure. But I also wouldn't fault them for not getting right up to the second BB starts because his shtick is pretty two-dimensional and I think the fun and enjoyment of BCS is how nuanced and layered it is. I'm really gonna miss Chuck for that reason.

Also Walt's a fuck-up and an asshole pretty much from the start, that's for sure. They do a terrible job of making his marriage seem like anything other than a hell pit though so I think the show is partly at fault for making large swathes of the audience hate Skyler, who isn't given nearly enough room to develop and be anything other than a shrew. Like I have no idea what their marriage was like when it's good because even at the best of times it feels like they can barely tolerate each other. I have no idea why they ever got together. It's a really weak side of the show.

Well you see him already depressed at the beginning. You didn't get to see them at the start of their marriage. It's important that he isn't liking anything in his life at the beginning even before the cancer diagnosis. He doesn't like what he amounted to in life. He's bored. He's not appreciated. He has no love in his marriage. He's poor and has to work a second job. He's an understandable asshole. Dealing in meth makes him feel alive as he says for the first time in a long time. We can understand that he finally found something that excites him, something that gets him respect. If he had a loving relationship with his wife, then the allure of being a criminal would be less.

I'm not gonna lie, I'm glad the Irene situation was resolved with a happy ending for her. Of all the scummy things Jimmy had done, that was the worst for me for some reason

Vagabundo

That was self defense in the first episode. The point of the show is that he turns from good to bad. So I disagree.

Naw the point of the show was to see how long people would continue to defend Walt's bullshit. How far they could push it. Surprisingly - for quite a few - to the end and beyond it seemed.

Walt stopped being good as soon he started cooking meth to sell to addicts, that act is the act of a selfish asshole.

Walt had a conscience at the start. He acted irrationally with a gun to his head in the first episode, and he really wanted to let Krazy 8 go and only killed him in a heated moment after spending days trying to empathise with him.

I'm not sure I'd label his hesitations as a conscience. Someone with a conscience would have given up this whole scheme in a heartbeat, if any alternative showed itself. Most reasonable people with a conscience couldn't make such an addictive drug for sale in the first place. Walt gave no fucks, he always wanted to be a psycho-killer drug baron.

Top Bottom