• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Was Undertaker the all-time greatest striker in WWF/WWE?

That would be Simon Gotch:

ConstantEarlyHound.gif

That was Enzo's fault.

Dude has a Kelly Kelly skill level when it comes to hitting the ropes.

shaowebb

Best? Hands down Katsuyori Shibata. Too bad he gave himself potential brain damage on a shoot headbutt to Okada recently. He never pulled ANYTHING. Headbutts including the final one is at the bottom.

Shibata strikes
9xLOElI.gif
J5YFxmP.gif
E9EKn18.gif
YYbE4ZA.gif
JYEG3WJ.gif
yf4yqvw.gif
A3jcOo5.gif
6wDYMFb.gif
Xu9UzgJ.gif
M4UB9QT.gif

7nX8qHr.gif
tjPp4xA.gif

/Thread. There is no one greater than Katsuyori Shibata.

Lothar

Banned
Best? Hands down Katsuyori Shibata. Too bad he gave himself potential brain damage on a shoot headbutt to Okada recently. He never pulled ANYTHING. Headbutts including the final one is at the bottom.

It's not being a great striker if you're actually hitting people. Even the Shane McMahon gif is seriously better for wrestling and less embarrassing than that headbutt gif.

It's not being a great striker if you're actually hitting people. Even the Shane McMahon gif is seriously better for wrestling and less embarrassing than that headbutt gif.

People don't seem to get that it's actually very easy to hit people, and instead very hard to look like you're hitting people when you're not.

Coming from someone that stopped watching in ~1992 because well...adulthood, I guess? I say yes. I would otherwise say Ultimate Warrior, he had the cooler costume. Both were awesome, of course Untertaker had more longevity (I was always under the impression there were multiple Undertakers over the decades, I guess not)

Thank you, marks forget wrasslin is a WORK. Nothing impressive with real hits looking real. Bret Hart had the most realistic strikes and he hurt no one

Marvel

could never
I loved Benoit's style personally.

His chops, punches and kicks looked and sounded top notch every night. So intense.

Thank you, marks forget wrasslin is a WORK. Nothing impressive with real hits looking real. Bret Hart had the most realistic strikes and he hurt no one
Absolutely. Look at the Shinbata strikes. Those look great because he's actually striking his opponent. It should be about making it look as real as possible. Bret had that technique down pat. Lawler was just perfect though. Kane could make that upper cut of his a thing of beauty.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination

Yeah, I agree. I don't think guys who are actually hurting other guys with strikes are impressive.

Anth0ny

Shibata is such a great pure striker that he both ended his career and came close to ending his LIFE for the purest of strikes.

That is STRONG STYLE.

Heroman

Banned
Googling "Katsuyori Shibata" and headbutt says you're very very very very wrong about that.

He had to be hospitalized. Reports say he may never wrestle again.
That was a freak accident And that like one out the 100s of wreslter doing strong stlye in Japan and across the world . Like strong stlye isn't any less dangerous then other stlyes.

It's all about the sound effects behind the punches, an attitude era classic
Taker was all about "DOW!"
Foley is like "HAAAJAA"
Trips hitting them with the triple "DOOSH"

DeathPeak

Shawn Michaels, hands down.

giphy.gif

And let's not forget the timeless classic of when Hulk Hogan refused to let him win a match even though Shawn let him win the last one and that was their deal, resulting in the most comically awesome overselling of all time:

giphy.gif

When were these? Always seen the Michaels and Hogan gif, but haven't seen the match.

Lothar

Banned
That was a freak accident And that like one out the 100s of wreslter doing strong stlye in Japan and across the world . Like strong stlye isn't any less dangerous then other stlyes.

Accident? He didn't mean to really hit him in the head with his head?

fhqwhgads

When were these? Always seen the Michaels and Hogan gif, but haven't seen the match.
Hogan/Michaels is Summerslam 2005. It's a weird show overall with The Custody of Dominick ladder match and Orton killing Taker. I'll need to look up the Rey spot, but I know it's a remake of an older spot with Shelton Benjamin instead.
Edit: Rey spot is the January 29th 2010 Smackdown

How anyone can look at those strong style gifs and say it's not that bad or accuse others of getting worked I really don't know.

Safe wrestling recks the body, to say taking full hits and headbutts is just as safe you must be deluded or more fittingly you took a shoot for a work and worked yourself.

I thought Bret Hart was always pretty fucking convincing in his striking.

What I would go with. Also, he apparently never connected/hurt anyone doing so either.

It's not even surprising, considering how much he put into wrestling and wanting to the be the best. Say what you will about his character, but he was so damn smooth in the ring.

fhqwhgads

Put me in the camp of strong style gifs shouldn't be here. Saying that actually hitting your opponment makes your strikes look good is kind of "Well duh". The skill comes in making work punches look painful and look real, plus I don't think we should be glorifying Strong Style after you know what happened.

DynamicG

I think Funk is out to the aforementioned Foley stuff, but his punches are pretty beautiful. I think the type of strike matters a lot here. Kanes strikes look good but they are usually throat thrusts or slaps that he can make look good without hurting someone. That's different from a worked 'punch' in my eyes. Abdullah the Butcher had good looking strikes that were effective, but they didn't require the same skill as a good working punch.

For me, this is a Jerry Lawler and Bobby Eaton conversation primarily. Although, as some have mentioned, Bret Hart hat some great looking punches too. Jim Duggan and Dr. Death also had good looking worked punches.

Wrestling is a work. You aren't supposed to actually hurt people. If we are talking about Japanese guys who were stiff, I'd prefer to look at the ones who didn't injure other people or just legit flat out hit other people. So I'd say Suzuki, Mutoh or even Chono had better worked strikes than Shibata.

Top Bottom