• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

did Nintendo address pretty much every complaint/expectation in Nintendo Direct?

Wiz

Nintendo addressing all gamers complaints is near impossible. I'd say they made a lot of folks very happy though.

Hyperbole whaaaaat?

Perhaps a little, but he's not wrong. The reason Nintendo just brain-dumped their future roadmap instead of keeping it close to the vest the way they always play it is because they know they're in trouble. Clearly they thought the Wii U was going to do big business for them the world-over during the holidays. How else to explain the lack of marketing? What they did today basically is them acknowledging they have a major problem. "Here's a bunch of games that will come out over the next 4 years, please buy our console now in anticipation of them before we're forced to price cut the system." Or maybe its the alternative and Nintendo all of a sudden decided to become a company that behaves the exact opposite of how they've always been in the past.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
The two interesting things to come out of it is Yoshi and SMT x Fire Emblem, and its hard to get excited when there is nothing known about them yet. Yoshi could be just as forgettable as the last Yoshi game on the DS.

X is kind of the same. It could end up being something awesome, but for now it just looks like yet another Monster Hunter clone.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
I doubt any of those games are going to be out before late 2014/2015+. So, have fun waiting I guess? It doesn't really address the immediate concern of game drought that's going on right now and in the near future.

Yeah, this is the issue really, and I'm fine with it if it means I pick up a WiiU at bomba £99 pricing in the future when this library is in place.

As for this Direct's excitement, the things I enjoyed seeing were Wonderful 101, Bayonetta 2, and Xeno____. All are fresh/fresher IP's that I'm looking forward to playing.

Announcements of Smash, 3D Mario, Mario Kart, and Zelda just left me cold. Theyre just too played out. You could argue Nintendo's partnerships with people like Platinum and Monolith are bringing these new IP so they dont have to bother, but I just find it sad that talented teams like EAD will never get to stretch their wings beyond another Mario, nor the Zelda team ever tackle a tale without Link and Zelda and getting the fucking bomb pouch for the nth time.

Sandfox

I doubt any of those games are going to be out before late 2014/2015+. So, have fun waiting I guess? It doesn't really address the immediate concern of game drought that's going on right now and in the near future.

I'm pretty sure a few of the games will come this year unless you expect Nintendo to have no games for the second half of the year.

orioto

Good Art™
When i think about it, there is always something wrong with Nintendo com. I think communicating about what's coming was what they needed. BUT Iwata made it looked like some kind of excuses and they showed things as they were sharing their actual brain storming about next devs... They could have made some kind of fake ass trailer (like the crossover with atlus one) to build hype, being a little more mysterious about it...

evolution

No, and expectations seem pretty low judging by the reaction. I guess current owners have just accepted the 3rd party situation. I will probabaly get one in a few years after I get ps4 and the next Xbox.

~ZIO~

Neo Member
I never had an issue with the Wii U before this Direct, and I don't have an issue with it now.

It's good to see Nintendo upped their ante, though. It's still gonna be a wait before I get a game to play on it. But I expect that of all consoles, which is why I am a multiconsole owner. For when one does not have what I am looking for, the others may perhaps will. Rarely is there ever a time when all of them have no games to play.

LTWheels

Have they addressed purchases being tided to consoles and not accounts? Also what about transferring game saves to other Wii U's?

Mit-

They announced a few new games, many of which won't be out any time soon, and officially announced (but didn't show) a bunch of stuff 99% of people assumed existed already.

While mech scene was awesome in Monolith Soft game, I was hoping for something different. We're getting more Xenoblade/Monster Hunter, now with vehicles wooo... Was hoping for a colorful new kind of game.

I wish Yoshi's Epic Yarn was something else. It'll be fun I'm sure but I would've rather had a different graphic style.

Large system updates is good news.

Virtual Console is being implemented just as everyone feared it would. VC would only be better if they made a goddamn account system and stored a record of our purchases, which they still have not done, meaning I'm still not buying anything digital on Wii U whenever I get one.

SMT x Fire Emblem is not going to be out for forever.

Wind Waker HD is cool to release to tide us over until the next Zelda game, but it looks like absolute shit right now and I hope it undergoes a complete overhaul between now and it's fast-approaching Fall release.

I don't know, what complaints/expectations about Wii U does the OP think were addressed? Account system is still shit, we have a 'promise' that the firmware will get better, and they showed off a bunch of stuff that won't be released anytime soon at all. Did they even announce any new games for 2013 besides Wind Waker? Unless Yoshi is supposed to be out this year.

Oh and they announced that the Virtual Console is coming and will start up just as slowly as it did on Wii and you have to pay to upgrade your original Wii purchases if you bothered to even keep the system around and transferred its guts into your Wii U.

bug_42

I love Nintendo. I grew up with Nintendo. But what kills me, and I still can not use it, because it is not comfortable at all is this
WiiRemote1.jpg

This is why I will not be getting a WiiU

Sandfox

We already knew nearly everything they announced was being made though.
We knew that they were making The Marios, Smash Bros and Zelda but they weren't really the focus of the Nintendo Direct. A lot of the games were from studios that we knew were making games but we didn't know what.

Have they addressed purchases being tided to consoles and not accounts? Also what about transferring game saves to other Wii U's?

Iwata said that there are a lot of consumer request about the Wii U that will be dealt with in two updates so there's a chance they will be handled then but its not guaranteed.

I will say that being nintendo I was not expecting to address the slow os directly.

That's a big positive.

Why would you not expect them to acknowledge it? Iwata's already acknowledged it. The performance right now is at such a level that they really aren't in a position to be able to ignore it.

This was a giant news day. Everyone has mentioned Zelda, Yoshi, Xenoblade, etc...

But why are so few talking about how he mentioned 3D MARIO and MARIO KART would both be playable at E3?! This means a late 2013 to early-ish 2014 is likely. Edge can suck a huge one, these were more than promises.

Just, "oh, btw these megatons are just slid into this sentence nbd. Here, have some more megatons with your megatons."

But why are so few talking about how he mentioned 3D MARIO and MARIO KART would both be playable at E3?! This means a late 2013 to early-ish 2014 is likely. Edge can suck a huge one, these were more than promises.

I don't think that really constitutes a big announcement until this actually transpires at E3. And by that, I mean I'll be all aboard the hype train -- in regards to Mario 3D in particular -- once awesome footage and a release date is shown. I'm not knocking your standards if this is legitimately exciting to you, but I personally want something a little more substantive to get pumped about. An announcement of an unveiling doesn't quite cut it.

No miiverse on 3DS this deep into 3DS life cycle worries me a bit.
What's the point of implementing miiverse when 3DS is at the halfway point of its life?

They may just release a new gen 3DS that has all the functionality of the WiiU tablet controller (sticks, buttons) with miiverse and OS totally overhauled.

Or they may do nothing at all.

SykoTech

I love Nintendo. I grew up with Nintendo. But what kills me, and I still can not use it, because it is not comfortable at all is this
WiiRemote1.jpg

I don't like that Wii-mote either, but I'm pretty sure the Gamepad will be the main method of control for the Wii U and not the Wii-mote. I wouldn't let that scare you anyway entirely.

WiiRemote1.jpg

what? the wii-mote is used for multiplayer in u games. the primary controller is the gamepad and will forever remain the primary controller on the wii u.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I mean, there's still not much reason to own a WiiU right now, but this was evidence that Nintendo is serious about courting the enthusiast consumer. And thank fucking God for that. Even if Sony and MS completely blow it at E3, I know I at least have Ninty to look forward to.

Which is really weird to be saying again.

We knew that they were making The Marios, Smash Bros and Zelda but they weren't really the focus of the Nintendo Direct. A lot of the games were from studios that we knew were making games but we didn't know what.
Eh, the only surprise was the Fire Emblem crossover. Not that I'm complaining, I'm stoked as all hell for everything. Just not sure how anyone could watch that and be like "My prayers have come to happen!". I mean, we know about Bayo 2, it was a very safe assumption that Mono was making an rpg of sorts, Yoshi was heavily speculated at...

The rest were all but certain to appear.

Again, not that I'm complaining. I flipped my shit at every announcement lol

edit: And WW. That was pretty surprising as well.

Burai

shitonmychest57
This was a giant news day. Everyone has mentioned Zelda, Yoshi, Xenoblade, etc...

Wind Waker HD is Fall 2013. There's no way they'd be releasing that then if the games you mention were ready. It's a holdover to fill a drought, just like OoT 3D was.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Most of the complaints are with the system itself, which is difficult to change at this point. Announcing 5 eventualities hardly does anything to that.

AzaK

Because it's almost like they granted every wish GAF had and spoke to gamers quite honestly.

Also megatons in the form of SMT x Fire Emblem, HD Wind Waker and "Xenoblade HD".

No, it was a terribly underwhelming ND. Sorry I should correct that. My expectations were at the bottom of the pit and they climbed a couple of centimetres above that with WW HD and VC finally coming. Certainly not anything to easy any concerns I have about the system. Everything they showed apart from maybe X (And we assumed MonolithSoft were doing something) was stuff we knew.

What made it worse was that it's all coming "later". Even the MiiVerse stuff. They need an OS update and service update NOW to keep things feeling fresh and alive.

I'm vaguely surprised people are complaining about not knowing what third party support the WiiU is going to have, when it was pretty clear that this was a Nintendo Direct solely focusing on Nintendo first party titles for the WiiU.

It's why they didn't show any 3DS games either
yes, yes, I know, smash bros, blah

I'm interested in the Megaten X Fire Emblem mash up mostly,and that might be the tipping point for me to pick up a WiiU.

I'm pretty disappointed at having to double dip on VC titles to use them as WiiU games rather than emulators in an emulator (dawg) though.

I'm also slightly surprised they picked WW for the HD remake treatment, because if there's a single GC game that absolutely stands up today graphically, its WW due to its art style.
Hopefully this is released at a bargain price point though, but I fear the worst based on the OoT 3DS port.

The reason Nintendo just brain-dumped their future roadmap instead of keeping it close to the vest the way they always play it is because they know they're in trouble.

Yeah, this is the issue really, and I'm fine with it if it means I pick up a WiiU at bomba £99 pricing in the future

I'm finding you's two stances on the WiiU a little unclear; do you guys think the WiiU is going to bomb or not?

Because you need to be clearer about that feeling.
And repeat it more often in every available thread.
At every possible opportunity no matter how tangential.

People won't know what your opinions are otherwise.

Servbot24

Banned

Surely a couple will be out by the holidays.

Your point stands though, Wii U line up still looks quite thin. I'll get one after a price drop or two.

BillyBats

Banned
Nope. Where are the new IPs? All I saw was monolith's game and that's assuming they don't call it Xenoblade 2.

More Yoshi
More Mario (Kart)
More Smash Bros
More Zelda rehashes

Enoooooooough already.

This will probably be my only post in here since Nintendo fans seem very happy, but I agree with this post. It seems that the fan's expectations are so low when it comes to this company. Wind Waker Hd? Yeah, for 20 bucks and MAYBE I'd re buy it. I've played through it twice. It's funny to see the reactions for this game. WIND WAKER HD...YEEEESSSSS!! Hey, have fun. Shit, Sony released like 3 God of War games in HD, sold them in a pack, at a discount and....oh whatever. So the fans get no new ips and they're happy? Good luck selling the system.

RibMan

No. They partially addressed one of the problems they were facing i.e. a lack of public information on their 2013 software offerings and software support. I assume the reason they did not provide actual release dates is because most of the software they showed is in early development.

The Wii U faces other issues and challenges, most of which Nintendo has yet to speak on. I posted about some of those challenges here.

I think Nintendo needs to rethink their Wii U strategy. Third-party support on the platform is still questionable, so Nintendo needs to take a look at their first-party offerings and decide whether or not the games they're developing can create a large audience for the Wii U. As Baconsammy mentioned in another topic, Nintendo should absolutely focus on developing new IP. I think they can recapture some of the Wii's original 'magic' by delivering completely new software and ideas in the form of new IP.

Just, "oh, btw these megatons are just slid into this sentence nbd. Here, have some more megatons with your megatons."

Woah Nintendo are making a 3d Mario game and Mario Kart and they'll be out in the first year and a half of the system being out? How shocking!

spliced

I thought it was a pretty impressive presentation but it seems like it's getting a pretty negative reaction.

It's true they have too many sequels but it's so common and in many cases worse with other big companies that I wouldn't think Nintendo would get so much flack for it.

I'm out of the loop so I could be wrong, but isn't it pretty common these days that games are known about before they are officially announced(other than system launches).

Judging by this reaction and the fact that Sony and MS will probably have good showings at E3(new system showings are usually pretty neat) I'm guessing there is going to be some serious grumbling about Nintendo's E3 since I wouldn't think they have much more to reveal. This sort of felt like E3 for the WiiU.

Knowing I'll get to see Mario 3D at E3 and with the strong possibility of Retro finally revealing what they have been up to I'm happily riding the hype train at the moment.

I think overall People that like Nintendo and enjoy the hype are pretty satisfied right now. WiiU looks like it has some good prospects. I think a lot of issues have been addressed although I think they probably still need a big new experience game to sell systems, probably something that intertwines well with Miiverse.

Amir0x

Banned
I mean they basically finally confirmed that the system is going to be good for those who like Nintendo games, which I tend to always expect from them but honestly with the lack of any announcements of the abysmal launch I was starting to wonder

and since I've conditioned myself to expect to buy their systems for Nintendo games, they delivered. They didn't address all complaints (impossible at this point with the hardware the way it is, and third party support the way it is), but they did make me think that the gift my fiancee gave me won't be a total waste.

If they announced a complete overhaul of the horrendous slow Wii U OS it'd be a big step too

Sandfox

I mean they basically finally confirmed that the system is going to be good for those who like Nintendo games, which I tend to always expect from them but honestly with the lack of any announcements of the abysmal launch I was starting to wonder

and since I've conditioned myself to expect to buy their systems for Nintendo games, they delivered. They didn't address all complaints (impossible at this point with the hardware the way it is, and third party support the way it is), but they did make me think that the gift my fiancee gave me won't be a total waste.

If they announced a complete overhaul of the horrendous slow Wii U OS it'd be a big step too

They announced that they are going to release two patches that will fix complaints they have gotten from consumers including the OS speed.

Lkr

I still don't understand why they didn't launch next fall with this shit ready to go at the launch window. The DS launched with one game and had maybe 3 software releases worth a damn until Mario Kart came out a little less than a year later. The 3DS had nothing at launch which hurt it. The Wii had a few games at launch if you include wii sports. Sorry Nintendo but I can't justify the cost at the moment and back at launch when the only game I would buy is NSMBU. At least now I can wait until next holiday season when it has some software and a possible bundle or price drop

I find it interesting that Nintendo are now aping ms/sony with announcing announcements as well as games that are a million years away from being released. It used to be that they would announce a game and three months later it would come out, now we are looking at at least two years for Zelda Wii u and God knows how long for the megaten xover. I'm glad they are supplying hype, but it doesn't fix the fact that currently the Wii u has no games.

Not even a week ago there were threads complaining about Nintendo not announcing games in the future and assuming Nintendo literally has nothing to offer past Q1.

Now they show their hands regarding exclusives and people are still complaining.

CrisKre

This was the best Nintendo Direct yet.

This year's schedule for Wii U was looking grim, and just like that, it all of a sudden looks very promising. I liked every game they showed and will probably be getting all of the titles.

I also like that even though they showed plenty they also left the real big guns for a later unveiling (Tokio Mario, Mario Kart, Retro and Smash). I believe there is a strong possibility that we may see Mario and Kart release this fall to follow 3DS resurgence.

One of the things I find most refreshing is Iwata acknowledging problems and explaining the situation. I appreciate the honesty and its a stark contrast with, say, Sony and the vita and how there is basically dead noise from their part when it comes to the lack of software. I respect Nintendo for that as a consumer and fan.

Top Bottom