• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Westworld - Live in Your World, Play in Ours - Sundays on HBO

Zoe

He explained that someone had programmed her to do all of what she had been doing. So it is possible that she was also programmed to think she was making a choices, which makes that final scene sad because it is possible she was still being controlled and thus has no free will.

I must have missed that. It seems whoever did the programming is someone who wanted her to think she was making choices the whole time though, and for that person it is more beneficial that she stay rather than continue with what she was planning on doing. I don't think anyone wants the androids to leave the park and I think by making her think that she sacrificed something to stay, she's more connected to the park.
It's possible that there was never any daughter, and it's just something used to anchor her to the park.

The producers confirmed that was a moment of sentience. She was supposed to infiltrate the mainland next.

Daingurse

Just watched the final episode, ans was frankly blown away. I couldn't see any of the damn twists or reveals coming! Super enertaining first season, rwally can't wait for the next one.

M.D

I started watching this yesterday and I'm on episode 3

Not really sure what to make of this show yet? The premise is interesting, good acting and writing, but it seems... stale? It just feels like not much is happening so far, and what is happening is not that interesting

Alpende

I started watching this yesterday and I'm on episode 3

Not really sure what to make of this show yet? The premise is interesting, good acting and writing, but it seems... stale? It just feels like not much is happening so far, and what is happening is not that interesting

Keep watching. It's gonna unfold and it's great.

SkylineRKR

First episodes are like whatever and its just a theme park. But its a Crichton story, things will go south. Its a great show and i'm just past the half way point.

bidguy

Banned
this is show is like spartacus with robots

edit : just finished ep 10 and its true in a funny way. last ep of spartacus season 1 is kinda similar

Why is this show so good and thought provoking? I watched 5 episodes 1 night, and the remaining 5 the next.
I have a lot of questions, but that's how we should feel after watching it right? I feel like this show can go for a lot of seasons, because it feels like there's so much to explore in it and to learn about the story and characters.

bidguy

Banned
Why is this show so good and thought provoking? I watched 5 episodes 1 night, and the remaining 5 the next.
I have a lot of questions, but that's how we should feel after watching it right? I feel like this show can go for a lot of seasons, because it feels like there's so much to explore in it and to learn about the story and characters.

they already planned it for 6-7 seasons and i agree

I watched the entire season 1 in one sitting this past weekend.

I managed to go in with no spoilers. And because I watched everything back to back I did not have a lot of down time to really get lost in conspiracies or dive deep in the small details.

But now that I have seen it all, I've had time to think about it more deeply. And I even started re watching from the beginning. Wow there is so much more I can catch the second time round.

Show is really good. And while I do have a lot of questions. And some complaints even. There is so much to appreciate that they are doing right.

My main questions right now is about motivations. Almost all of the characters I can think of a plausible motivation for. Even Ford, MiB, the tech guys, Bernard, Arnold, Theresa, Maeve, Logan, Teddy even. They make plausible sense to me on some level. But the one that I do not understand yet at all is Delores. I feel like I am missing something with her

Why does she go on the killing spree the second time?

1) Is just a revenge thing? This seems so weak to me. It is totally out of character and especially after the character journey she has taken, to find her inner voice/consciousness etc. Suddenly to go murdering humans... what?

2) Is she just following the programming of For d or some other agent? Is it the Wyatt program? Again this does not make sense after character journey she has taken, to find her inner voice/consciousness etc. What is the point of that whole arc if at the end she is just a killing terminator robot

3) Is there some thing I just don't know about yet that explains this.

Tuck

Just finished it. Overall, really good. Love how the plot kind of goes crazy near the end, and so many different storylines come together.

My main complaint is
the two lab techs who for some reason have unlimited clearance to do all this shit without being caught or even suspected of influencing the robots design and brain functions. The worst of this was when they were wandering through the facility together and NO ONE noticed or questioned why.
Whereas the rest of the story was really tight and overall believable, this aspect was a huge stretch. This aspect also does kind of just moves towards generic
robots rise up and take over
type fare.
And when the soldier guy walks into a dark spooky room during the escape at the end, jee what did he expect was going to happen? I love how the lab guy is so complicit in all this murder and mayhem. This is some serious "Beginning of the end of the human race" type shit and he's just going along with it like "This is fine." Seriously the guards ARE pussies, so fucking incompetent
. Definitely the worst storyline - too many conveniences, and unfortunately it becomes a BIG part of the ending. Everything else was great though.

Also, I totally called it that
William and the man in black were the same guy. The actors looked too similar.
TOTALLY CALLED IT, way back when they were first introduced. Good twist, the only one I saw coming. Except maybe
Delores going ham on the board at the party.
Though I wasn't quite right,
She also took out Ford, that was a surprise! And she was joined by other robots too.

they already planned it for 6-7 seasons and i agree

Really? Seems like season 1 is a complete story. Don't even know if I want more.

Mik2121

Just watched the whole thing in two days. God that was so awesome.
I went through this thread one as I kept watching it (watched 5 episodes in a row on Friday, then 5 on Saturday). I'm amazed at how some people came with the idea that William was MiB just after episode 2!

Anyway, loved it. Some really good designs for the present sci-fi stuff, and the wild west content was of really high quality. Oh, and of course, Anthony Hopkins and Ed Harris' performances were incredible, as well as a bunch of the other cast (mainly the father at the end of the first episode).

Regarding Ford as a host though... I don't believe so. But then again we could have been show all the content in a way that hides that so you never know. I'm watching Episode 1 again now and there's so much "Ohh that makes sense now". But Ford just doesn't look like a host at all.

Used-ID

I'm in the camp that Ford made a host of himself, which then shot itself.

What good is a new story if you're not around to observe it?

Throwing a huge F-you to the board and sitting back and watching from the shadows is something I can see Ford doing.

OG Kush

Just finished the first episode. Love the premise. However, the main brunette haired woman, the one who works for the company. Is she terrible at acting or am I just not reading her personality right?

Korey

Anyone else hate how the maze ended up being a bunch of nothing? Just a metaphor for some inner struggle the hosts had to overcome.

Feels like Lost numbers or something.

AndersK

Yoooo. Yo. Just caught up to this. Watched the last five with my GF just now. I'm like...i really enjoyed that, but i have to read the thread to coalesque my thoughts. At the same time i can see why its both Gaf top five show and dissapointment. Episode 8/9 left me wishing there was more to it all, but in the end i got what i wanted.

Some damn fine performances troughout, Evan Rachel Wood especially just blew me away at times. Oh, and of course you don't cast Jimmi Simpson and have him be
not crazy

I take it its a one and done? Gonna get my chronology in order now though. Almost feel like watching it again immediately

hydruxo

Yoooo. Yo. Just caught up to this. Watched the last five with my GF just now. I'm like...i really enjoyed that, but i have to read the thread to coalesque my thoughts. At the same time i can see why its both Gaf top five show and dissapointment. Episode 8/9 left me wishing there was more to it all, but in the end i got what i wanted.

Some damn fine performances troughout, Rachel Evan Wood especially just blew me away at times. Oh, and of course you don't cast Jimmi Simpson and have him be
not crazy

I take it its a one and done? Gonna get my chronology in order now though. Almost feel like watching it again immediately

Nah there's going to be a season 2, probably not until 2018 though

teiresias

Anyone else hate how the maze ended up being a bunch of nothing? Just a metaphor for some inner struggle the hosts had to overcome.

Feels like Lost numbers or something.

Not particularly. It was pretty clear there was going to be no literal maze fairly early on - it contrasted the host journey of actual thought with the obsessive journey of the MIB who couldn't see it as anything but literal.

From a strictly production point of view, there being an actual maze would have been nearly as stupid as the Lost "Butt Plug of the World."

AndersK

Nah there's going to be a season 2, probably not until 2018 though

Oh, i see. Thanks!

I really dug being out of the loop for this one, some developments was a joy to get blindsided by. I've gotten retroactive chills just thinking about William and Dolores' arc together. Him thinking he found something earnestly real in Dolores only for her to have forgotten him after a reset, and her clinging to the notion that he'd come to save her, only to realize he'd turned into anything but a savior. So tragic to think about what could've been if curcumstances had been different.

Like, William represented the beautiful side of humanty to her and then he's turned into a fucking monster from her nightmares.

I resurrect this thread to say, this was amazing. As a lifelong Creighton fan westworld somehow escaped me, but this adaption is see inspiring. Fantastic all round, one of the best seasons of tv ever.
Not sure it needs a second season though.
Also snake girl is dah BEST.

Lucreto

I never thought it would be so hard to find something like Hector Escaton hat.

My Dad loves it and it would make a great 60th Birthday present.

The Westworld panel at Paleyfest is tomorrow, so there might be a bit of new info about S2. The writers and a bunch of the cast will be there.
Westworld - 7pm 3/25

“Vivid, thought-provoking
television that entertains even
as it examines the darker side”
Los Angeles Times

Stars In Person:
Evan Rachel Wood, James Marsden, Ed Harris, Thandie Newton, Jimmi Simpson

Creatives:
Jonathan Nolan, Lisa Joy

Moderator: Jeff Jensen, Entertainment Weekly

Just finished it. Overall, really good. Love how the plot kind of goes crazy near the end, and so many different storylines come together.

My main complaint is
the two lab techs who for some reason have unlimited clearance to do all this shit without being caught or even suspected of influencing the robots design and brain functions. The worst of this was when they were wandering through the facility together and NO ONE noticed or questioned why.
Whereas the rest of the story was really tight and overall believable, this aspect was a huge stretch. This aspect also does kind of just moves towards generic
robots rise up and take over
type fare.
And when the soldier guy walks into a dark spooky room during the escape at the end, jee what did he expect was going to happen? I love how the lab guy is so complicit in all this murder and mayhem. This is some serious "Beginning of the end of the human race" type shit and he's just going along with it like "This is fine." Seriously the guards ARE pussies, so fucking incompetent
. Definitely the worst storyline - too many conveniences, and unfortunately it becomes a BIG part of the ending. Everything else was great though.

Also, I totally called it that
William and the man in black were the same guy. The actors looked too similar.
TOTALLY CALLED IT, way back when they were first introduced. Good twist, the only one I saw coming. Except maybe
Delores going ham on the board at the party.
Though I wasn't quite right,
She also took out Ford, that was a surprise! And she was joined by other robots too.

Really? Seems like season 1 is a complete story. Don't even know if I want more.

I watched this from start to finish on a recent plane journey.

I've got to agree, I would've loved the show if it wasn't for Thandie Newton's character.

Those two scientists getting away with everything and being completely spineless, then on top of that Thandie getting the tablet to boost her intelligence to a million is just such a Deus Ex Machina/Mary-Sue plot device.

Eventually, her "I'm smarter than everyone demeanor" and her dialogue (somehow pretentious and cliche) being so out place compared to the rest of the show just got so grating, I could barely finish the show.

Hesemonni

Banned
Just finished the season and wow, what a ride.

a) Soo, there's a multitude of worlds? eg. "Eastworld" (sry) with samurais and so on?

b) Really looking forward seeing how they handle the security guard, since I kinda feel that Westworld setting has been quite thoroughly explored. I fear that they start pulling stuff from their asses and dragging it along S2 for unnecessarily long.

c) Exit Music (For a Film) was brilliant choice for Ford's final scene. Although I'd love to see him again since he truly is a brilliant actor.

Lucreto

a) Soo, there's a multitude of worlds? eg. "Eastworld" (sry) with samurais and so on?

b) Really looking forward seeing how they handle the security guard, since I kinda feel that Westworld setting has been quite thoroughly explored. I fear that they start pulling stuff from their asses and dragging it along S2 for unnecessarily long.

c) Exit Music (For a Film) was brilliant choice for Ford's final scene. Although I'd love to see him again since he truly is a brilliant actor.

There are multiple world's. In this version there is a Samurai World. In the original film they had Roman World and Medieval World. In the sequel they had Future World and Spa World.

a) Yes, but how many and to what extent they're operating is unknown, as well as to what extent we'll actually see them and when. In the original movie by Crichton there was also Roman World and Medieval World, and its sequel added Futureworld, though supposedly the first two won't be used, and Futureworld certainly won't pop up. (Side-note: G. R. R. Martin pitched the idea of having Westeros from Game of Thrones be revealed to be this show's Medieval World as a crazy-ass cross-over.)

b) Nolan and Joy supposedly have a 5-season arc planned. Having watched Person of Interest (Nolan's previous show) and its incredibly intricate plot-weaving over five seasons, I genuinely believe they do have a thorough road map. So really, don't worry about any meandering bullshit.

c) Don't assume we won't see him again. :p

Top Bottom