• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| February 2013. How can it be called a "SUPER Bowl" when nobody can fly?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quake1028

This weeks pull:

Star Wars #2

Snapshot #1 (from last week)

Secret Avengers #1
Uncanny X-Men #1
Winter Soldier #15 (from last week)
Wolverine and the X-Men #25

Not sure how I feel on Geoff leaving GL. On one hand, I'm glad that he brought Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corps back and the way he handled it was pretty good. Rebirth and Sinestro Corps were great stories but on the other I don't like the direction he took GL in. It just started to be about different lantern corps, ruining an Alan Moore short story, and the guardians turning evil rather than Hal and the Corps taking the fight to the bad guys and dealing with different cosmic threats.

I just noticed the Spider-Man debate going on and I just want to say Carly Cooper is a far superior love interest for Parker. MJ is one dimensional and just because she was his big love interest in the 60s/70s I don't know why she has to be that way forever. She wasn't even the original love interest (Gwen Stacy was). They don't have to kill her off or anything but she needs to go away.

frye

You mean Vibe. Or Justice League of America's Vibe, as the book is actually titled (presumably for copyright reasons).

yeah, my bad.

Not sure how I feel on Geoff leaving GL. On one hand, I'm glad that he brought Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corps back and the way he handled it was pretty good. Rebirth and Sinestro Corps were great stories but on the other I don't like the direction he took GL in. It just started to be about different lantern corps, ruining an Alan Moore short story, and the guardians turning evil rather than Hal and the Corps taking the fight to the bad guys and dealing with different cosmic threats.

Johns got me to read green lantern for a few years which is something I guess but by the time Blackest Night ended with "See You Next Time in Brightest Day!" I was pretty much done. There's a fine line between Big Dumb Superhero Epic and Endless Grind and finishing what was supposed to be the the big finale by teasing the next event pushed it over the edge for me.

The New 52 series had its moments with Sinestro but that didn't really last.

Batman 17 - well, I got this far, might as well see how it ends
Star Wars 2 - Dropped
Fatale 12 - More occult funexpected
Change 3 - I think we're finally getting some answers?
Manhattan Projects 9 - thank you based hickman
Fury Max 9 - Best Marvel book
Bloodshot - more valiant pls

ElNarez

Banned
I just noticed the Spider-Man debate going on and I just want to say Carly Cooper is a far superior love interest for Parker. MJ is one dimensional and just because she was his big love interest in the 60s/70s I don't know why she has to be that way forever. She wasn't even the original love interest (Gwen Stacy was). They don't have to kill her off or anything but she needs to go away.

I don't say "You're fucking wrong and you should eat a bag of dicks" often, but you're fucking wrong and you should eat a bag of dicks.

d6ME6tn.jpg

Small week
Batman 17 avoiding comic sites until I get my issue Friday
Uncanny X-men 1 lets see if Bendis can keep up the quality with second X-book coming out.

I don't say "You're fucking wrong and you should eat a bag of dicks" often, but you're fucking wrong and you should eat a bag of dicks.

d6ME6tn.jpg

Comic books will not survive without new ideas and new concepts. The same old Spider-Man gets lame after awhile. Look what happened when they got rid of Bruce wayne for awhile people LOVED Dick & Damian as the dynamic duo and sales went through the roof. We need fresh stories not silver age fan fiction. People like Jonathan Hickman and Grant Morrison understand this but you clearly do not.

Acid08

Banned
Carly is great but come on, MJ is that broad.

You are what is wrong with comic book fans.

NOTHING CHANGES EVER. NO NEW STORIES ever!!!. Feed me comfort food.

You must have been a riot during one more day/ brand new day

Off the top of my head, If comic nerds had there way we would have never gotten:

-Morrison's entire 7 year run on Batman
-Justice League International
-Miles Morales
-Kyle Rayner & Simon Baz
-Peter David's badass Aquaman
-New Avengers
-Hickman's FF
-Jarvis as an AI instead of an Alfred ripoff
-Millar's Ultimates which formed the blueprint for the Marvel Cinematic Universe
-T-Shirt wearing, liberal Superman

Off the top of my head, If comic nerds had there way we would have never gotten:

-Miles Morales
-Kyle Rayner & Simon Baz
-New Avengers
-Hickman's FF
-Millar's Ultimates which formed the blueprint for the Marvel Cinematic Universe

In one case, they were right.

Yup.

But look on the bright side, the RIGHT people are getting the gigs. There's been more story-essential references to New X-Men in the past few years than ever before. And in five or so years, I'll be building off storylines from Remender's Uncanny X-Force.

Good guys win.

Acid08

Banned
They bought Bucky back and it tuned out amazing. Also hawkeye worked out well .

Hell even kravens return wasn't Half bad.

Also Ms marvel and Spider-Man should get together
Totally different things brah. Gwen is in a league of her own. Shit would not be good.

Spidey and Ms. Marvel should definitely happen. Wasn't there some stuff between them in her last ongoing?

ElNarez

Banned

One) Being comfort food is pretty much the sole raison d'être of maintream american corporate comic books.

Two) This said, the argument isn't against new ideas per se, but it's about badly implementing new ideas for the sake of having new ideas instead on building up off of what worked. "New for the sake of new" is the line of reasoning that brought us to Brand New Day in the first place. Spider-Man doesn't get any less relatable because he's happily married.

Three) Because we're losing sight of the original argument, pop quiz : when's the last time Carlie Cooper got anything wrong ?

Yup.

But look on the bright side, the RIGHT people are getting the gigs. There's been more story-essential references to New X-Men in the past few years than ever before. And in five or so years, I'll be building off storylines from Remender's Uncanny X-Force.

Good guys win.

Yea Jason Aaron X-work is a love letter to NXM(he has admitted as much as well) . Plus i believe
magneto as Xorn
is becoming a thing as well

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
They bought Bucky back and it tuned out amazing. Also hawkeye worked out well .

Hell even kravens return wasn't Half bad.

Also Ms marvel and Spider-Man should get together

Spidey would eat all her food while she saved the day and then make her pay for everything, just like the last time they went on a date.

As far as MJ goes, I like her a lot but they need to be able to tell new stories and not just rehashes of old ones. Meeting new people is a part of life. Is Carlie the best character ever? No, but she's totally going to boss mode Superior (you'd need to be a detective to figure this one out).

Brand New Day was the best thing that happened to Spider-Man in at least 20 years at that point

Damn straight. They could have taken a better route to get there though.

If I was writing Spider-Man I would get rid of MJ the same way as they got rid of Poochie on Itchy & Scratchy

Alternatively, I could go the JMS route and have her get knocked up by Doc Ock, she eventually realizes this, tries to make a deal with the living tribunal and ends up getting erased from continuity.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Whoops, that's two!

There was also the time she told the Sargent who was helping a bunch of dirty cops about said dirty cops. I think she was also kidnapped at one point during that story.

Also she kept agreeing to go out with Peter even though he kept either ditching her and or not showing up. Also her best friend was a Goblin.

ElNarez

Banned
SHIT YES

ElNarez is down! ElNarez is down!!

Stupid, not wrong. The game is still on, motherfuckers.

-Miles Morales
-Kyle Rayner & Simon Baz
-New Avengers
-Hickman's FF

You're gonna put Carlie fucking Cooper on the same pedestal as all these ? It's not even what we were discussing, but what the fuck? You're gonna put it in the same basket as thorough examinations of characters and their history? (Plus, a good chunk of these are examples of Nerds having their way, as in, the guys writing those are the nerds)

For those playing along at home, the point was : Dan Slott's interpretation of Carlie Cooper is a terribly written character who has never exhibited a single flaw in any of the stories she has been featured in.

There was also the time she let the Vulture get away because she just had to try and help.
There was also the time she told the Sargent who was helping a bunch of dirty cops about said dirty cops. I think she was also kidnapped at one point during that story.

Also she kept agreeing to go out with Peter even though he kept either ditching her and or not showing up. Also her best friend was a Goblin.

Selfless sacrifice does not wrong make. In fact, it's pretty much A Right if you're in cape comics.

Also peter( in ocks body) straight up said help me I'm Peter. And she did jack all .

t only now he realizes something is up

It was impossible for her to know the truth. Therefore, not wrong.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Comic book fans may not like change, but that's because the change in comic books is often stupid and always meaningless. I mean, sure they're hating my favorite character so badly they made an entire series about going back in time to retroactively destroy 60 years of character development and his relationships past, present and future, but hell, it's comics. You know they're not going to allow one of the 5 original X-Men to be removed permanently from hero-dom.

Tizoc

MJ>Carlie....and that's all I got to say, Carlie never clicked with me. I feel like re-reading JMS's Spiderman run now.

Quick write-up on my reads this week:
Transformers Spotlight: Megatron
Not sure when this takes place exactly, but I assume it was...before Chaos story arc.
A really good look at how Megatron manages to keep the status quo and why he keeps Starscream around, and I really feel bad for Starscream; he's has ambition, he wants to achieve, but even when he does, it never works out for him. His main purpose in life to be an achiever- a Seeker.

This gave me a chuckle:

MLP: Friendship is Magic #3
EEowDcA.jpg

Pinkie Pie is Batman, face it scrubs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom