• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| February 2013. How can it be called a "SUPER Bowl" when nobody can fly?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ElNarez

Banned
F4 #4 : EAT YOUR HEART OUT HICKMAN, FRACTION CAN DO LONG TERM PLANNING TOO :

in2cic8cynLxi.jpg

8bit

Knows the Score
It's a collection of weird single stories. I know nothing else about it, saw that Image posted about it on facebook with this week's releases.

Actually, now that I think about it I suspect it's reprints of old 2000AD strips.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Everyone needs to be reading Avengers Arena! Best teen-book since Claremont's original New Mutants. Anyone boycotting needs to reconsider!

Yeah, I've actually been pleasantly surprised. I feel more invested in it currently than Young Avengers which feels weird, but thats only had an iffy first issue to ramp up. Hazmat HAS to fucking die though.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
i've been saying it for months: snyder on batman is nothing special. the art is pretty but besides that, it really feels like he's taken a huge step down from his great work on 'tec. dotf finale sealed the deal.

F4 #4 : EAT YOUR HEART OUT HICKMAN, FRACTION CAN DO LONG TERM PLANNING TOO :

i like Fraction on a bunch of books, but lol

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
The writing in Avengers Arena is really good. Really, really good.

Actually everything about Avengers Arena is really good.

I literally just clapped my hands and screamed "YEAH!" at the final page

I'm really interested to see where the individual Bat-Family comics go from here. They all seem to be teasing more in relation to the Family arc, although it could just end up being as little as a mere mention. It doesn't feel like that's how it was planned, though.

ReiGun

Uncanny X-Men: That was...boring. Really boring. Complaining about Bendis's dialogue is hardly an original complaint, but that was what really brought the issue down for me. All the explanation, all of it dry as can be. Bachalo's art was good, except for Emma looking like she was 15.

Batman 17: Reading it again, and I realize that Synder's error was hinging the whole thing on the ending;
considering that he ultimately planned to change nothing. Like I said, I didn't want some crazy shit to happen like Daimian's head on a plate or whatever people were expecting, but an almost complete return to the status quo is so disappointing. Alfred isn't blind. The Batfamily is fine beyond being pissed at Bruce (which is hilarious for Jason, since he's always pissed at Bruce for something or another). Batman didn't kill the Joker - he didn't even make good on his promise to reveal the Joker's identity.

Say what you want about the twist ending of Court/Night of Owls, but at least things changed. Batman (possibly) having a brother? It brought all the story's themes about Bruce being caught off guard and not knowing Gotham as well as he thought he did to a head, showing that he didn't even know his own family. DotF is underwhelming in comparison.

I will say that I got a kick out of Joker calling Batman on his shit. "Lol I win cause you keep letting me live, brah. Hold dat.

Batman and Robin: I wish this book could get some time away from crossovers and shit to find its groove again. That said, this was a cute issue.

Red

ReiGun, that's my thing too... DotF put all the emphasis on the ending. It wasn't a bad arc, but there was no pay off.

Avengers Arena #4: Holy shiiiiiiiit. THE RUNAWAYS! This series is so damn good. I can't believe the drama surrounding it when it was announced and it turned out to be miles ahead of Avengers Academy.
RIP Reptil? Was he dead or not? I want Hazmat dead so bad. I fuckin hate her.
A+

He was at two bars

lol so cell phone

:(

The discerning X-nerd will notice some interesting changes to the school in the graphic on the last page of todays "Wolvie and the X-Men"

Storm is officially the headmistress. Northstar has joined the school as senior staff. Some of the former Utopia kids have left again - Prodigy, Ink and Loa. They might be joining Cyclops' new school?

-Mikey-

Uncanny X-Men was great. Not sure why people immediately dislike a new series after one issue.

This is my first X-Men book. I never read the big arcs or events from the past few years, but it was easy to follow. Looking forward to issue two.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Uncanny X-Men was great. Not sure why people immediately dislike a new series after one issue.

This is my first X-Men book. I never read the big arcs or events from the past few years, but it was easy to follow. Looking forward to issue two.

Yup.

ElNarez

Banned
I didn't even realize Manhattan Projects was out this week. Best surprise ever.

Same. Can we talk about how fucking gloriously Hickman managed to bring this batshit crazy insanity back to some historical accuracy? Because holy shit, that's what he fucking does in the most glorious way.

LiQuid!

The discerning X-nerd will notice some interesting changes to the school in the graphic on the last page of todays "Wolvie and the X-Men"

Storm is officially the headmistress. Northstar has joined the school as senior staff. Some of the former Utopia kids have left again - Prodigy, Ink and Loa. They might be joining Cyclops' new school?

WatXM
They covered the Storm thing in ANXM when Kitty said she was too busy chaperoning the displaced X-Men to continue with headmistress duties, so that's not really news

Eye Boy and Shark Girl dynamic is starting to remind me a little bit of Beak and Angel Salvadore from New X-Men. They almost got flirty this ish and if they hook up I'm calling party foul on Jason Aaron.

Moar WatXM
Also boy is this book back to peak form. I laughed a LOT reading this issue. All the snarky Shark Girl nicknames from QQ were great, and the Wolvie/QQ antagonistic relationship is as amusing as ever. I really fucking hate seeing Broo like this tho. He's still funny in different ways as Idie's pet, and QQ's remark about the bullet doing wonders for his personality was hi-larry, but I need MY Broo back. I need him so bad. :(
I've read tons of X-Men and I thought it was still great! Pretty obvious "twist" altho
I have a feeling Magneto is setting SHIELD up to martyr Cyclops so he can take over the mutants. Which would be fuckin awesome

I'm mostly just being haterish, but it's probably the weakest first issue from any X-book post-Schism. ANXM got me heck of hyped the instant I read it, but this new Uncanny was a snoozer.

Acid08

Banned
Don't know about SHIELD but Hickman said Secret was delayed by the artist and will get back on track at some point. I think.
He had that little letter in the back of one of the recent MP issues where he laid out what was going on with everything he's writing. I don't have it in front of me and can't remember what he said exactly.

I do remember he said MP is by far his favorite book to right and it shows in each issue. Dude is going HAM on these pages.

LiQuid!

lol@WatXM Class and Events schedule.

Extracurricular Activies(sp)

• Time Travel Club, with Dr. McCoy. What other famous people should we bring into the present? -very funny, Hank. Keep it up and I'll trade you to Alpha Flight for Sasquatch

haha!

tim1138

Month in and month out Manhattan Projects is the best book none of you are reading, and this month's issue was no exception. If you're not reading this book and like good things, you really should check it out.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Scott Snyder (@Ssnyder1835) tweeted at 7:03 PM on Wed, Feb 13, 2013:
Guys - BATMAN and ROBIN #17 by Pete Tomasi and Pat Gleason is an absolutely incredible issue w/deep ties to the end of our story - pick up!
(https://twitter.com/Ssnyder1835/status/301844131293044736)

It might not be over.

It's just an aftermath issue, that said it was quite good. I liked Alfred's nightmare, how he was disturbed but went to back to bed with a little smile after it.

BluWacky

Month in and month out Manhattan Projects is the best book none of you are reading, and this month's issue was no exception. If you're not reading this book and like good things, you really should check it out.

But I really didn't like the first issue :(

I think I may just not like Hickman's writing. I tried Secret as well last year and found it cold, confusing and unengaging. I disliked Manhattan Projects for completely different reasons - perhaps it was down to expectations, but I think I was expecting something less pulp, perhaps, particularly after the creepy opening few pages.

I may give it another try, see if I can get past my negative first impressions.

tim1138

But I really didn't like the first issue :(

I think I may just not like Hickman's writing. I tried Secret as well last year and found it cold, confusing and unengaging. I disliked Manhattan Projects for completely different reasons - perhaps it was down to expectations, but I think I was expecting something less pulp, perhaps, particularly after the creepy opening few pages.

I may give it another try, see if I can get past my negative first impressions.

Get the first trade from the library, then if you still don't like it you're not out any money. I can't really comment on Hickman as a whole, this is the only book of his I've read.

So spoilers aside...what exactly changed at the end of Batman 17? I'm new to the series (read 1-17 only) and haven't read any of the other Bat books.

Did I miss something in the other stories?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom