• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Clash Royale |OT| Should I keep playing when I’m full on chests?

JoeNut

last time we had this discussion i said basically the same as you Mario, unfortunately some people don't like to hear logic and would prefer instead to believe the game is against them.

Whoops top page.

Anyway, is it better these days to just go for level 9 of all your commons and mix things up in challenge, than get as high level possible cards to ladder? ladder seems to have lost its charm with all the new versions of modes now.

last time we had this discussion i said basically the same as you Mario, unfortunately some people don't like to hear logic and would prefer instead to believe the game is against them.

Whoops top page.

Anyway, is it better these days to just go for level 9 of all your commons and mix things up in challenge, than get as high level possible cards to ladder? ladder seems to have lost its charm with all the new versions of modes now.

You now get a fancy chest at the end of the season based on your highest point on the ladder.

I'm floating around 4500 pretty regularly and I see a few decks regularly:

Lavahound decks are my favorite to go against because pushing the opposite lane works every time.

Squishy decks (as I call them) are super annoying. They usually have a Princess, Minion Horde, Goblin Horde and a Hog. Basically, multiple things that require Arrows to clear out.

Mortar decks. These are super annoying. I never lose to them, but they can stalemate me pretty regularly. Usually the deck is a Mortar, Princess, Archers, Skeletons, and Knight. Basically, they try to chip you with princess and Mortar and just use everything else to stall out.

Elixer Heavy Decks. These drive me crazy because I can't seem to do much about these. Usually a Pump with a Golem and a 3Musk.

I see Elite Barbs spread out here and there, but they don't scare me any more. I use either Fire Spirits or Skellies combined with Ice Wiz or Elec Wiz. If I'm super lucky, Fire spirits and Skellies together are enough, but that gets really risky for a zap to clear it out. I also place the Wizards in the center so both towers are in range.

My current deck is

Giant (my primary attacker)
Mega Minion
Ice Wiz
Elec Wiz
Skellies*
Fire Spirits
Poison
Arrows

*I recently switched to this from Ice Spirit to help take out Royal Giants and Golems.

Alur

Whoops top page.

Yeah I'd recommend that for you Joe. Just get the cards you're interested in to 9. Maybe slowly build a ladder deck on the side. You missed a few months of collecting so it'd be even harder to keep up now.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
You need to separate them first. Put a building behind the balloon to distract it, and then kill it with your favorite anti-air troop.

If you don't have buildings it can be tricky, especially against a skilled player.

As I said in my earlier post, watch the shadows and try to position your anti air on the side of the balloon. I tend to drop my musketeer right by the river which leaves it vulnerable but can usually take a balloon out before they react.

You can also drop minions right on top of it or slightly behind it. If you drop minions on top they might start targeting the lavahound or Giant first but will re target when the balloon bumps into them. This also has the advantage that the balloon has to kind of bump around them making it take slightly longer to get to the tower.

cuilan

You can also drop minions right on top of it or slightly behind it. If you drop minions on top they might start targeting the lavahound or Giant first but will re target when the balloon bumps into them. This also has the advantage that the balloon has to kind of bump around them making it take slightly longer to get to the tower.

That's one of the reasons I have a fireball in my main deck. If I know the opponent has minions/minion horde, I'll pre-select the fireball and have my finger hover over my lavaloon. I cast it the instant they appear, and all the minions die before they can finish off the balloon. Sometimes I even anticipate it perfectly and all the minions are wiped out the moment they spawn.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
That's one of the reasons I have a fireball in my main deck. If I know the opponent has minions/minion horde, I'll pre-select the fireball and have my finger hover over my lavaloon. I cast it the instant they appear, and all the minions die before they can finish off the balloon. Sometimes I even anticipate it perfectly and all the minions are wiped out the moment they spawn.

Yeah, most lavaloon players will have arrows at least.

My deck has arrows, fireball, minions, princess, and musketeer so I'm usually covered if I can get two of those into play.

For me I usually use a combo of Ice Wiz and Fire Spirits to handle Lavaloon. I place the Fire Spirits behind the balloon so they primarily target it, then the Ice Wiz splash damage usually cleans up.

J0dy77

Any heavily active Neogaf clans? The current GAF clan I'm in is struggling for participation. Wondering if it makes sense to consolidate. I'm wasting a lot of card requests only getting some of the cards requested.

Any heavily active Neogaf clans? The current GAF clan I'm in is struggling for participation. Wondering if it makes sense to consolidate. I'm wasting a lot of card requests only getting some of the cards requested.

NeoGAF (#20Y9PQ) has a few open slots and is very active. Let us know if you need the trophy limit lowered.

hollomat

Banned
Everyone seems to be playing low elixir cycle decks. Probably 50% of my matches are against these decks. I still beat them most of the time but they are very frustrating.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Everyone seems to be playing low elixir cycle decks. Probably 50% of my matches are against these decks. I still beat them most of the time but they are very frustrating.

And here I am, rolling with 2 tanks (Pekka and Giant). It's a really slow deck that doesn't always match up well, but the feeling of dropping a pekka on incoming EBs is just too good to skip.

All they should have done is just turn RG into a rare. It solves the problem of them being cancerous in ladder and gives room for buffs in tourney. It won't be the first time the changed a card's rarity.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
All they should have done is just turn RG into a rare. It solves the problem of them being cancerous in ladder and gives room for buffs in tourney. It won't be the first time the changed a card's rarity.

Have they changed any rarity since global release though? I can't recall any.

Both RG and EB nerfs should help me quite a bit. Wasn't expecting RG nerf but EB nerf seemed inevitable.

hollomat

Banned
RG & EB nerfs incoming: https://www.reddit.com/r/ClashRoyale/comments/65ixnl/radio_royale_1504_summarised/

Supercell are in a tricky place here because RG & EB are pretty well balanced at tournament standard, but cancerous on the ladder. I guess something had to be done, but if I'd sunk a bunch of gold into upgrading either I'd be grumpy.

I'm pretty annoyed since I spent 100k gold and a ton of time requesting cards to get royal giant to lvl 13. The card doesn't need a nerf, it's only powerful when it's overleveled. When its even level with your opponents cards it's trash, which is why no one uses it in challenges. Which is even more of a pain for me because whenever there's a challenge I can't use my ladder deck and have to play a deck I'm not familiar with.

The solution is to either change it to a rare or lower the number of cards needed to upgrade rares (will never happen since it will lower supercells revenue).

Elite barbarians on the the other hand need a nerf, but this nerf is nothing. I have lvl 12 towers and if my opponent plays lvl 11 elite barbs immediately and I'm not holding my counter, goodbye tower. I can only imagine the horror when I face lvl 13 elite barbs.

I'm also annoyed that spectators can see opponents elixir. Every single game I play, there's a spectator which I assume is my opponent spying on me. This exact same thing happened a few months ago when supercell first let you spectate friends. Not sure why it's still an issue.

These may be the things that finally make me quit.

Edit: Executioner does not need a damage boost. Fuck that

Agent

Balance Changes Coming 4/19

Royal Giant: Deploy Time to 2sec (from 1sec)
Tweaking his deploy time gives the defender a bit more time to react to Royal Giants played at the bridge or in the pocket (on your side of the Arena once a tower is down). Listen to the latest episode of Radio Royale for more insight on this change and some of the others below!

Elite Barbarians: Hitpoints -4%, initial attack comes 0.1sec slower
This change will make Elite Barbarians a bit easier to deal with. They'll still be a threat and can take down big dudes on defense before going on a counter push, but they won't be quite as punishing.

Furnace: Hitpoints -5%
Furnace offers really nice support to your offense, but its high hitpoints also make it a bit too strong on defense. A small tweak will help here.

Goblin Hut: Hitpoints +5%
Goblin Hut has lived in the shadow of the Furnace for long enough! This change, in conjunction with the one above, should make them both interesting and viable options depending on your deck.

Electro Wizard: Hit Speed to 1.8sec (from 1.7sec)
Electro Wizard offers a bit too much damage and control for a ranged support troop. A lower hit speed will tone him down in both areas.

Executioner: Damage +6%
Now that all of the Executioner's bugs have been ironed out, we can return him to his former glory! This will also make him a great option for countering the increasingly popular Lava Hound based decks.

Balloon: Death Damage delay to 3sec (from 1sec)
It's great to see the Balloon become a more viable offense card since the last change; however, we'd like to add a bit more Death Damage delay to allow for better counterplay.

Skeleton Army: Skeleton count decreased to 14 (from 15)
Another critical change to maintain the delicate balance of "Skeletal equilibrium" within the Arena. Probably.

Lumberjack: Hitpoints +4%
He's strong, fast and drops an interesting Rage effect, but in many situations he simply lacks the hitpoints to be really effective. A few more will help!

HotHamBoy

Hey guys.

So this is probably something a lot of people bitch about in this thread but I need to vent.

I just reached Crown Level 8 after hitting Arena 7 a few days ago.

I started getting back into this game real hard a couple weeks ago. I bought the Arena 5 and 6 special offers and I play every day collecting chests deligently all day long. I've been playing since the game came out, took a loooong break, but would still grab Free Chests or play a battle and start a chest unlock. So I've been collecting chests for months. For context.

I'm about to slide back into Arena 6.

The game puts me up against Level 9 players pretty frequently and I just can't go toe to toe with their troops. Either they have very high level dudes or 1-3 Legendaries, or both. But it's just as common for LV 8 opponents to have at least 1 or 2 Legendaries.

And that's the thing that really irritates me. I STILL DON'T HAVE A SINGLE LEGENDARY.

Fuck that Graveyard. Fuck that Log. Fuck the Ice Wizard. Fuck that Electric Wizard. Fuck that Princess!

It is really frustrating that I haven't pulled one after all this time. It's also really frustrating when they have multiple Legendaries and a fucking Mirror.

Another thing that anoys me - I've been opening chests in Arena 7 for several days and I have gotten 1 Royal Giant and a shitload of Elite Barbarians. No Rares, let alone Epics. And none have shown up in the shop.

/rant

Ooh I didn't even know these could drop from battles!

You jerk.

EDIT I guess I should stop wasting gems on this Epic Tournament. I've entered 4 times and I've yet to win more than once per entry. Every single opponent I've faced has had at least one Legendary or more. Most are LV 9 and I just get rekt.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
I basically give up when I face a lavaloon deck now. Nothing I do works and I'm not changing my entire deck just to stop it because then I'll have trouble with hogs and such. My deck right now:

Skelly army
Log
Electro
Miner
Fireball
Tombstone
Musketeer
Mini pekka

I had a GY for the mini pekka but it was having trouble with ground tank decks and the mini helped tremendously. I could try an inferno tower but I really don't want the extra 2 elixar. Any suggestions? I handle most decks very well but lavaloon and extremely heavy zap bait decks.

HotHamBoy

I basically give up when I face a lavaloon deck now. Nothing I do works and I'm not changing my entire deck just to stop it because then I'll have trouble with hogs and such. My deck right now:

Skelly army
Log
Electro
Miner
Fireball
Tombstone
Musketeer
Mini pekka

I had a GY for the mini pekka but it was having trouble with ground tank decks and the mini helped tremendously. I could try an inferno tower but I really don't want the extra 2 elixar. Any suggestions? I handle most decks very well but lavaloon and extremely heavy zap bait decks.

When did you pull your first Legendary? How long did it take?

How many people here got at least one by Level 8 Arena 7?

I'm just trying to figure out how unlucky I've been. I've opened 100s of Chests, including a few Magical and one Super Magical.

I'm so sick of feeling like most of my opponents have a distinct advantage.

Since one more loss throws me back to Arena 6 I'm not playing Ranked atm. Waiting for the Clan Chest and collecting free chests. Fortunately the Tournament allows me to contribute crowns to my Crown and Clan chests. The downside is no victory chests to unlock but those are usually shit anyway.

Cooter

I'm just trying to figure out how unlucky I've been. I've opened 100s of Chests, including a few Magical and one Super Magical.

Since one more loss throws me back to Arena 6 I'm not playing Ranked atm. Waiting for the Clan Chest and collecting free chests. Fortunately the Tournament allows me to contribute crowns to my Crown and Clan chests. The downside is no victory chests to unlock but those are usually shit anyway.
A while back but we get the arena offers so my kids and I are cheating.

Once you reach 10 legendarys appear in the shop.

HotHamBoy

A while back but we get the arena offers so my kids and I are cheating.

Once you reach 10 legendarys appear in the shop.

As I said, I've gotten Arena 5 & 6 offers. The Arena 7 offer is butt for $10 since Super Magical chests only have a 40% drop rate on Legendaries.

Btw, what awful drop rate for something that normally costs $30. That's goddamn sleazy.

I feel like 10 is forever away.

Cooter

I've been playing for about a year. It takes time. Just keep leveling up. That's what will help you more than anything right now.

UFO

Banned

I got my first right before reaching King tower lvl 10, around 1100-1200 wins. Now I'm 2/3rds to lvl 11 and have all except miner and bandit. They're not at all critical to being successful, you just have to keep leveling your cards.

Since one more loss throws me back to Arena 6 I'm not playing Ranked atm.

It doesn't matter if you slide back down. The advantages between arenas is not important enough to stop picking up chests. Everybody hits a new arena then slides back eventually. Keep playing. Whats your deck and card lvl?

hollomat

Banned

Legendary cards are nice, but they're not the be all, end all. Ironically, the best legendary in my opinion is also the least flashy, the log.

A lot of people here have been playing for about a year, so their answers won't really reflect the current state of the game. For example, when I got to legendary arena the first time, it was actually arena 8.

If you want a legendary, there's really only two ways to get one, patience or money. You can spend money on supermagical chests in the hopes of getting one, or just keep playing and eventually getting lucky. I'd recommend the second option.

The below link has the drop rates for legendaries by chest and by arena:

http://clashroyalearena.com/guides/card-drop-rates

I have 9 out of the current 11 legenadaries, and I have 2 of them at lvl 3 and the other 7 at lvl 2. I've only spent $20 on the game, buying the two offers that come with 100k gold (those are the only offers I'd recommend buying).

The best strategy I can recommend is figure out what card is your favorite win condition (hog, giant, etc..) and build a deck around that card. Use all of your requests on whatever card is the core of your deck and focus on leveling it. The most annoying thing about this game is that once you choose a deck, the game actively punishes you if you want to change. At arena 7 its not so tough to change, but at arena 11, it's a lot harder because it takes so much gold and cards to upgrade.

Only spend gold on cards you are 100% sure you want to upgrade. Don't ever upgrade for the sake of upgrading. All cards that I never use are lvl 1 or 2 and I currently have about 56 cards I'm able to upgrade.

My last bit of advice is donate every single card you can, apart from the cards you use in your deck. The gold and experience you get from this is extremely useful.

HotHamBoy

This is the deck I'm currently running:

Valkyrie 5
Muskateer 6
Balloon 4
Hogrider 6
Minion horde 7
Baby Dragon 2 (i know i need to level him asap)
Skeleton Army 3
Spear Goblins 8

Leveling Rares beyond 5 is tough. Leveling Epics beyond 3 is real tough.

UFO

Banned
This is the deck I'm currently running:

Valkyrie 5
Muskateer 6
Balloon 4
Hogrider 6
Minion horde 7
Baby Dragon 2 (i know i need to level him asap)
Skeleton Army 3
Spear Goblins 8

Leveling Rares beyond 5 is tough. Leveling Epics beyond 3 is real tough.

How do you win any games with balloon as your win condition? That's a really random deck, you should look for popular decks online to copy

Cooter

How do you win any games with balloon as your win condition? That's a really random deck, you should look for popular decks online to copy
Yeah, I'd drop the balloon and maybe add a goblin barrel.

HotHamBoy

Yeah, I'd drop the balloon and maybe add a goblin barrel.

Lol, i don't know, I just run dragon or muskateer as escort and use the hordes and valkyrie for defense. Hog for attack towers and clutch plays.

I don't really like goblin barrel.

I generally don't like going online and copying decks because being creative and figuring things out for yourself is more fun. It's really boring to me when people just shop online for their strategies and the meta is like the same 3 decks over and over.

But I guess I've hit a wall on my own which is why I've come groveling to the thread.

Man, seriously fuck these 3-4 Legendary decks. I don't know what to do about Lava Hound AT ALL. The Wizards and the log are also assholes.

I notice one strategy that has been killing me is swarms + Rage. Goddamn Graveyard is no joke.

Any good counters for Golems?

Cooter

Lol, i don't know, I just run dragon or muskateer as escort and use the hordes and valkyrie for defense. Hog for attack towers and clutch plays.

I don't really like goblin barrel.

I generally don't like going online and copying decks because being creative and figuring things out for yourself is more fun. It's really boring to me when people just shop online for their strategies and the meta is like the same 3 decks over and over.

But I guess I've hit a wall on my own which is why I've come groveling to the thread.

Man, seriously fuck these 3-4 Legendary decks. I don't know what to do about Lava Hound AT ALL. The Wizards and the log are also assholes.

I notice one strategy that has been killing me is swarms + Rage. Goddamn Graveyard is no joke.

Goblin barrel was just a suggestion. Your deck brings out zap so GB might be effective. Mini Pekkas are pretty effective in handling golems.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
HotHamBoy said:

Lava Hound is really slow burn. With your Hog deck as soon as Lava Hound is deployed you should rush the other lane hard. Your opponent will have to respond meaning The Lava Hound won't get support, and on it's own it's pretty ineffectual. You could drop your Musketeer or Minions to help mop it up just before it pops, but don't worry too much if an unchallenged Lava Hound is on your tower.

For Golem, a Musketeer and Valkyrie will do an okay job (I have them in my deck) by the Golem will still get a bunch of damage on your tower. The earlier suggestion of switching out Balloon for Inferno Tower or Cannon (or Tombstone) will draw the Golem away, buy you more time, and get the Golem health down quite a bit.

HotHamBoy

Lava Hound is really slow burn. With your Hog deck as soon as Lava Hound is deployed you should rush the other lane hard. Your opponent will have to respond meaning The Lava Hound won't get support, and on it's own it's pretty ineffectual. You could drop your Musketeer or Minions to help mop it up just before it pops, but don't worry too much if an unchallenged Lava Hound is on your tower.

For Golem, a Musketeer and Valkyrie will do an okay job (I have them in my deck) by the Golem will still get a bunch of damage on your tower. The earlier suggestion of switching out Balloon for Inferno Tower or Cannon (or Tombstone) will draw the Golem away, buy you more time, and get the Golem health down quite a bit.

Okay, i'll try tower.

That said, i'm not opposed to seitching decks entirely. Two Arenas ago I was running a deck built around Prince.

If anyone wants to suggest some builds based on what I have, this is my current roster after the Clan Chest weekend:

HvhouJE.jpg

RumS1mE.jpg

WGJ0NXw.png

ZjTVuQx.png

I don't play Balloon decks but I think you have too many cards that can get wiped by arrows. I'd swap Minion Horde for something else for your single-target killer.

HotHamBoy

I don't play Balloon decks but I think you have too many cards that can get wiped by arrows. I'd swap Minion Horde for something else for your single-target killer.

I used to have Mini Peka but the problem was his inability to hit flying creatures. Minion Horde is soft but the make short work of bruisers and they can manage fliers. They also can't be hit by those god damn logs.

Musket alone can kill Balloons or whatever aerial backup for Lavas. How about using a spell like Arrows, Fireball or Freeze? Spear Gobs are also good for backup in case of Lavalightning decks.

Maybe it's a lot different in A7, but I find it very difficult to rely on Minion Hordes to kill troops if it's not part of a zap bait deck. Enemies are almost always guaranteed to have 1-2 AoE spells (Arrows, Fireball, Zap, Log, Fire Spirits). Once they know you have Minion Horde, they'll always hold a card to kill your horde. For me, it's one on of those cards that absolutely wrecks if played as a surprise.

Nopren

I'd say exchange minion horde for mega minion. It will lower your elixir cost and it survives all spells except lightning, which is what you want for a defensive card.

LunaticPuma

dresses business casual
Any chance I could get an invite to the NeoGAF clan?

I just picked this game up a few weeks ago since have a newborn. It's nice to be able to play one handed. I've managed to make it up to Arena 6 (7 briefly) and hover around 1800 trophies unless I'm experimenting with decks.

Any could places to look up builds? Currently I cycle through decks built around the Pekka, Giant Skeleton, and am trying to get a Golem deck I like together.

hollomat

Banned
Any chance I could get an invite to the NeoGAF clan?

I just picked this game up a few weeks ago since have a newborn. It's nice to be able to play one handed. I've managed to make it up to Arena 6 (7 briefly) and hover around 1800 trophies unless I'm experimenting with decks.

Any could places to look up builds? Currently I cycle through decks built around the Pekka, Giant Skeleton, and am trying to get a Golem deck I like together.

Join GAF (#QYYQCQ). I just lowered the trophies for you. In the request say you're from Neogaf. There's no way to invite people unfortunately so you have to request to join.

Edit: I just closed the clan. In the 5 mins it was open we got over 20 requests from random people. Supercell need to do something about clan management. This is insane.

Reply to this post when you're ready to join and I'll reopen the clan.

LunaticPuma

dresses business casual
Join GAF (#QYYQCQ). I just lowered the trophies for you. In the request say you're from Neogaf. There's no way to invite people unfortunately so you have to request to join.

I tried to join and got banned somehow? Haha, maybe I spammed it too much? Can you reset at all?

hollomat

Banned
I tried to join and got banned somehow? Haha, maybe I spammed it too much? Can you reset at all?

What was your user name? Now that there's a request from you I can send you an actual invite.

Sorry, someone must have clicked reject on yours. When 20 requests come in that fast, it can be very tough to see the legitimate one.

Edit: Sent you an invite. Hopefully that works.

Top Bottom