• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New trend of releasing higher priced version of a game earlier

If someone wants to pay extra to play a game a few days early I don't see a problem with that. Seems like a waste of money, but it doesn't hurt any one.

Thing with this is that you maybe right now pay to get the game earlier, this "earlier" will at some point just become the standard release and the people who don't pay that additional fee will get the game later instead. There is literally nothing good coming out of business decisions like this for the consumer.

It was supposed to cut they cancelled it after backlash.

OK good to know that there was a backlash.
Why no backlash for Microsoft then?
People are just accepting this right away.

As you said, these publishers might make this a standard.

Bog

Junior Ace
Just as an FYI, as I purchased the Ultimate Edition of FH3, none of us who did say are paying for the privilege to play early. It is an incentive, or dare I even say a Thank You, for purchasing the equivalent of Forza's version of the Season Pass up front (VIP and Car Pass).
I did not spend any additional money to play the game early that I would not have spent otherwise picking up those two passes on their own.

So because of this fact, I see no problem at all for it. Now if they were in fact charging for it, I would not support it myself. But since the price is the same as the base game plus purchasing the two passes separately, as I said, I even will go as far as seeing it as a Thank You for the dev and MS for supporting their game.

You speak for every person who bought that? Interesting.

Kill3r7

It's not that. The game is actually ready on 23rd and without this scheme that would have been the release date. They just want to push the date and get people to pay more.

It hurts you by delaying the game

I disagree because 99% of retail games in the US are released on Tuesday. So that's not going to change regardless of the early access model. In other words this is not delaying the release of the game.

Well, we're in a world where MP levels means you get access to more(often better) weapons. So I'd say it can impact, if you care about MP.

True, but if you care about MP that much then you are buying it during early access. Case and point EA season ticket, a precursor to EA Access.

Doesn't really bother me. Although I'm from the UK, so unless a game has a single worldwide release date, games that release on the Tuesday in the US release on Friday here, so I've gotten used to waiting a few days after the forum hype.

And that's a hell of a lot better than it was. Prior to the Xbox 360-era, games would release in the UK many months after the US, and in some cases would never be released at all.

They didn't add $20 to the base game and claimed you would play it early. That would be a worthwhile complaint and even so, not one to particularly good one.

They added the Season Pass which gives you a bunch of shit...and also 4 days early access.

It seems to me some are just salty that others are getting the game earlier than they are. It's business. Get over it.

MT's and pay for frivolous DLC (especially when they are already in the base game and you are just paying to unlock it) is bullshit though.

NewDust

You can also look at it the other way... Those who have the money to spend, or got severely trapped in the hype machine get to play day 1, while the money-conscious and critical consumer have to wait.

DirtyLarry

You speak for every person who bought that? Interesting.
In this case, technically speaking yes I am, as none of us paid additional money to play early. So what I said is factually correct. No one paid for the privilege to pay early.
I cannot speak what everyone's motives were, but I can speak on the fact it did not cost anyone who preordered it additional money.

Way to try and spin my words though.

Zafir

True, but if you care about MP that much then you are buying it during early access. Case and point EA season ticket, a precursor to EA Access.

Not necessarily, not everyone has disposable income.

Some people may want to wait to buy for the season pass because they don't have that kind of cash upfront.

Frankly I'm amazed people are fine with this, considering the outcry Deus Ex got for trying to do the Augment Your Pre-order bs and that was just a pre-order rather than paying extra for early access.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Wasn't there an uproar when Deus EX was offering playing the game a few days early as a preorder incentive?

Now a game is purposely held back for everyone that didn't drop $100 on the deluxe edition, and some are ok with it? Fuck that.

Edit: The poster above brought up Deus EX as well.

Boney

Banned
It'll end up depending how much apart are the SE and the regular launch are. This is 4 days, who cares. If it's months then the release will most likely end up bombing due to hype deflation.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
i see it as a dirty tactic. its not so much that paying more gets you the game early, it is in fact paying the standard price gets you the game a few days later. its a really shitty practice.

T.O.P

Banned
OK good to know that there was a backlash.
Why no backlash for Microsoft then?
People are just accepting this right away.

As you said, these publishers might make this a standard.
Because people aren't mad about it maybe? How many times have you heard about the early access being brought up with Forza 6 and now Horizon 3?

Hektor

No games are being delayed though. Someone getting the game on Thursday instead of the following Tuesday changes NOTHING for me. If they start giving weeks of early access then I might feel differently.

But that's inevitably what's going to happen in the long run.

People will be paying additional money just to play the game on the same date it would've been released without this "incentive" where as all others will just get to play the game later.

shandy706

Early play wasn't originally part of the Ultimate version of the Forza games.

Originally it was just car/season pass and VIP rewards as a player.

I like that the added on early release for those that pay more. You're not paying just for early release in this case though, they simply added it on top of their original stuff you got. It's an extra bonus to the other stuff you always got.

If it was a incentive for preordering the premium edition. Why not? I like it

Yeah, that's my thoughts....I don't see the problem. It helps fund further development or support for the title. It's an option for those that want to do it, and in Horizon's case you get some other extras as well.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
No games are being delayed though. Someone getting the game on Thursday instead of the following Tuesday changes NOTHING for me.

That's what a delay is.

Nice that it changes nothing for you. For the person that could've played the game during the weekend on their time off that sucks.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
So I just came to know about Forza Horizon 3 Ultimate edition being released earlier. (Ultimate on 23rd and Normal on 27th)

What do you guys think of this?
IMO it's not a good thing. It's just publishers being greedy and trying to exploit the hype. If this becomes a norm, then it will be the DLC of this gaming generation.

Ubisoft can have a field day with this.
Ultimate edition 10 days early and Special edition 5 days early. Pay more to play earlier.

Who started this? EA with their EA access thing? Did previous Forza games also have it?

You're not really backing up your position here.

Publishers already exploit hype. Gamers do that to themselves. How does releasing a version of a game they were already going to make, early, make this worse? How does it affect the regular version of the game? How does this affect you? How does this negatively affect anything? You make the argument but never explain why.

So, why?

i see it as a dirty tactic. its not so much that paying more gets you the game early, it is in fact paying the standard price gets you the game a few days later. its a really shitty practice.

You payed less and didn't get ripped off. How is it shitty? Paying an extra $20 for a few days early access is stupid.

That's what a delay is.

Nice that it changes nothing for you. For the person that could've played the game during the weekend on their time off that sucks.

Games don't normally release on days other then Tuesday so NOTHING changed. If what you say is true thrn why are games without these early access editions releasing on Thursday or Friday? This of people look ing a reason to be upset. This is NOTHING.

Let the idiots pay nearly double the price for 4 days early access.

Early access of a game, that by its very definition will be available to buy at mom and pops stores at the same time.

jet1911

Wasn't Wind Waker HD released like a month earlier digitally?

If pubs/devs want to release their game earlier I have no problems with that. I jjust think it's stupid to release it 3 or 4 days early. I'd probably pay more to play 1 week early, not 4 days.

U2NUMB

It comes with the car pass and VIP.. I would have bought the full package anyway and getting it 4 days early is a fantastic little extra for those of us who would love to start a game like this on a weekend.

If it was a game I was only somewhat interested in I would pay less and play on the launch day 4 days later...

Early access of a game, that by its very definition will be available to buy at mom and pops stores at the same time.

Early access is a tiny portion of what you are paying for.. its just a bonus. You are pretty much paying for the season pass and game up front and the VIP portion kicks in day 1. Nobody is paying $40 extra and JUST getting early access..

darkace

Banned
If you don't want it then don't buy it. Why people worry about these sorts of thing at all is beyond me. Same with microtransactions and pre-order DLC.

It's a way of allowing serious fans earlier access to something they enjoy. I can't understand how it's anything but good.

GlamFM

Banned

"We" are not paying extra for early access. "We" are paying extra for the season pass. Early access is a bonus.

Thanks for calling us idiots though. I think you are awesome!

Miss your old tag - it still suits you.

packy34

That's what a delay is.

That's you choosing to see it as a delay and a personal slight against you rather than seeing it as a benefit for people who paid extra for the privilege. News flash: games are ready to be released usually a month before (or earlier) than the actual street date - pressing/manufacturing takes a while. A few days is nothing.

yuraya

Disgusting practices through and through.

I was confused to see how there was so many reviews on Steam for NBA2K17 like 3 days before official release. I guess this stuff explains it.

shandy706

You might want to read my (and others above) post and wrap your head around what it is before commenting. You're paying for VIP/Car/season pass stuff.

Early access is just extra on top of what you would have paid for anyway.

So basically pay to play early?

No thanks. Not a fan of that.

Come on people...the OP needs to fully explain this crap so people quit these posts.

OP EITHER NEEDS TO BE FIXED OR THREAD NEEDS TO BE CLOSED.

This happened with their previous game when people didn't understand it was a new perk on top of all the other stuff you got. You aren't paying to play early, it's a bonus.

tuna_love

Banned

i miss your tag. where i live doesn't have mom and pop stores, and if you were going to buy the car pack and vip thing why the fuck wouldn't you get this? but i guess they are idiots

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
My mantra is to never pre order games, and never buy them day 1 . Give it a few days for the general opinion to form, videos to come up and flaws to be revealed.

I can easily live with not playing a game for a week or two.

RPGam3r

My mantra is to never pre order games, and never buy them day 1 . Give it a few days for the general opinion to form, videos to come up and flaws to be revealed.

I can easily live with not playing a game for a week or two.

Actually with this you could buy day 1. Since opinions will already start to render by then.

Caayn

If they can release one digital version earlier they can release all digital versions earlier. The same goes for physical versions.

I don't like this trend. I don't pre-order games and this will certainly not entice me to do so.

"We" are not paying extra for early access. "We" are paying extra for the season pass. Early access is a bonus.

Miss your old tag - it still suits you.

Paying for season passes before any of the content is close to release is a pretty bad decision too. See The Division, Arkham Knight and numerous other games for all the regret for blindly buying those things.

DirtyLarry

And I just need to correct you on one point.
We are not even paying extra for the season pass. We are just purchasing it up front. It is the same price wether we purchased it on its own or in this bundle.

But yeah, we are a bunch of idiots. Too bad there was not a demo to check out or 2 previous titles in the series so we knew what we were getting ourselves into instead of preordering all of this blindly.

Jarmel

Banned
I could understand doing this for preorders but certainly not for special editions. It's the usual exploitative garbage we get in this industry.

Top Bottom