• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Umihara Kawase games have been delisted from Steam

These are platformers, right? And you use a grapple?

I don't want to rush to buy games I'll never play, but can somebody tell me why these are great games?
It looks cute and whimsical with the fish motif, but the physics are really good and it makes for a game that is basic to get into but hard and rewarding to master.

Pyrrhus

These are platformers, right? And you use a grapple?

I don't want to rush to buy games I'll never play, but can somebody tell me why these are great games?

I've only played Sayonara so far, but they're direct and to the point games that focus entirely on the swinging and momentum mechanics and the simple goal of reaching level exits through skillful use of the mechanics. The play control is tight but difficult to master and thus the act of playing the game is rewarding. You're playing almost immediately and the game doesn't bother you with trite, badly done storytelling because it has a clarity of purpose most titles lack now.

The visuals are abstract and very culturally Japanese, with lots bits and pieces of rural and nostalgic scenes accompanied by pleasant music. Riversides, the beach, old style houses and advertisements, country roads at sunset. That kind of thing. The game is hard but the mood the game generates is calm and pleasant. It's very much a sort of throwback to earlier eras of Japanese game making. Not a fan of the moe and giant balloon titties that have been inserted into the most recent game but I guess they're inescapable in anything released in the last decade.

I'm thinking of nabbing the Vita version, because the original SNES game is included and the ingame graphics are not questionable like the cover. I think this is something I'll regret not buying.

But, and this is a serious question, what does the app icon look like? It's not a schoolgirl bust or anything, is it?

MUnited83

For you.
I'm thinking of nabbing the Vita version, because the original SNES game is included and the ingame graphics are not questionable like the cover.

But, and this is a serious question, what does the app icon look like? It's not a schoolgirl bust or anything, is it?

I don't know about the EU/US version but i assume it's the same as the Japanese, so just the face.

img_4058.jpg

epmode

I do not like this digital only future.

I'm not sure what you expect. If the seller no longer owns the rights to the game, how can a store continue to sell it? Steam isn't like retail where the store has already purchased a copy of the game from the publisher.

The important point is that people that already own the game can continue to download the game indefinitely.

Ideally, the publisher will announce the takedown a few days before it happens but whatever.

Pyrrhus

So this was up for a month and seven days before being delisted?

They didn't really understand Steam at all, did they? If they were that close to falling apart you'd think they wouldn't have posted it at a rather high price but rather at one that makes the games impulse buys to maximize their take before their inevitable implosion.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=188807345&postcount=7

Agatsuma published those games but it didn't make them; they were developed by Studio Saizensen, a company formed by one of the creators of Umihara Kawase (and the company that owns the IP).

Sad news, especially considering they had a Code of Princess port in the works.

Maybe the Steam delisting is temporary?

I do not like this digital only future.

Games would've never come out on PC if they had to pay for manufacturing costs.

Eolz

It should be the same, thank you!

Last question: was it digital only in NA? I'm not seeing a physical copy on Amazon or Wikipedia. This seems like the kind of game that would be only be on PSN.

Only retail version is japanese, with no english subtitles (but there's not much text).

Blu(e)

Welp. I was lucky enough to buy them yesterday. Just had the sudden urge to pull the trigger at the 35% discount. Might pick up on Vita too..

I bought the license on PSN.

It's $20, but I would rather spend $20 now for the piece of mind than wish I could play this game in the future if I really wanted to.

-Horizon-

So what happens when a game you buy is delisted? Can you still download it if you bought it beforehand? I'm not talking about just steam but psn and eshop and whatnot as well.

I bought the license on PSN.

It's $20, but I would rather spend $20 now for the piece of mind than wish I could play this game in the future if I really wanted to.
It's worth $20 and the Vita ver includes two full games. You should try it.
So what happens when a game you buy is delisted? Can you still download it if you bought it beforehand? I'm not talking about just steam but psn and eshop and whatnot as well.

In 99% of all cases the games will remain on your download list, that goes for pretty much all DD services. There has to be some very special license fuckery going on for games to become unavailable to download.

I don't think there's ever been a non-F2P game that was unavailable to download from any of the big services after being delisted from the store. (by "big services" I'm excluding the pre-2009 storefronts that PC had, like the one Gamestop ran for a hot minute.)

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
For those on the fence, these are great games. You should buy the DS release (which has the SNES and PS1 game) and the Vita version of Sayonara.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I almost missed out on Shun, but bought it from Humble.

I've somehow known about the first game since I was young, I don't even know how I found out about it, but they've always fascinated me. Happy to own them now, sad to see the developer go under. D:

Baust

Bought the trilogy on the Humble Store. They're out of keys still, though.

What are the chances that they won't supply keys to those who just bought it?

Gameboy415

Dang it, I knew I should've grabbed them earlier this week! :(

I went ahead and bought the Trilogy on HB, here's hoping they come through with the keys soon...

Bought the trilogy on the Humble Store. They're out of keys still, though.

What are the chances that they won't supply keys to those who just bought it?

I really doubt they are going to be able to get more keys from the publisher in this instance. I assume they will refund you when they realize they cannot get any keys.

Top Bottom