• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Sega master system appreciation thread of SegaScope 3D!

ultimos

Neo Member
Honestly for me, I'd love to see an exclusively Master System club because I really want to dig into that system specifically. Not so much the Mega Drive, which I'm somewhat familiar with and less interested in.

That's of course just one person's opinion though.

Rlan

To celebrate the new year, I've accidentally made a bunch of new work for myself... by setting up a Sonic blog.

Sonic The Hedgeblog

tumblr_static_7o7c9pmt6ggswgww48kwkssw0.png

I own a ton of Sonic stuff and have posted a lot of Sonic artwork across my other blogs (Video Games Art Archive & Old Game Mags) so this'll be a place to post that stuff, as well as other funny bits and pieces I'll find in my collection, old Secrets of Sonic Team stuff, commercial GIFs and more.

Basically I'm a big fan of the Supper Mario Broth blog, and I'd like to do something similar, but for Sonic & Sega stuff,

I'm sure you guys'll love it. Also, follow the twitter!

I'm getting a Phantasy Star tattoo this spring. I found an artist in Osaka who's a huge fan so I can't see what he comes up with.

Cool! Have you decided how big will it be? The Kilian Eng piece for Cook & Becker looks so cool but you'd need to cover your whole body, lol.

Cool! Have you decided how big will it be? The Kilian Eng piece for Cook & Becker looks so cool but you'd need to cover your whole body, lol.

Right now I'm thinking about doing something on my arm so probably not very big. I have super tiny dork arms so it's going to be a difficult palette.

I want it to be something people can see unlike my other tattoo which is between my shoulder blades.

IrishNinja

So, I did it! A friend let me swap boards & my system is now the OG one I grew up with - his was rough, little rust on the AC housing but I cleaned up what I could real well.

Now that I've got that local modder, time to look up those FM boards before Phantasy Star's anniversary! D Lo, were you saying there's usually no switch to them? I'd like to have the option, if possible

sibarraz

Banned
I'm playing Phantasy Star, the first hour must be the most tedious experience in any RPG, but after that, the game is awesome

Besisdes PS, which are the MUST play from the system?

AmyS

That is indeed cool ^

Say, this is some rad artwork for Astro Warrior:

rx89KtC.jpg

Yet I also loved the NA boxart for some reason.

sFiS7oc.jpg

c3Zzlxi.jpg

Memories! In Spain there was a help line too, managed by a company that had some vinculation with Sega but was not the principal distributor, I think!

I only called once, Spellcaster related question: I stuck for months and MONTHS in one of those static interactive screens, without hints and trying all the possible options with no luck (looking at playtroughs nowadays, I think my cart could have a bug or something - or the younger myself was not so smart). So I called the help line and, yes, that was a line, and there were people at the other side, but no help was offered. "Spell... what?".

It was probably impossible to obtain a good answer, anyway.

IrishNinja

ordered the FM board from AU, should hopefully be here in a few weeks! does anyone have a link on the installation guide, gonna have to take it to a modder down south

also i hit up a closed SMS trade group on facebook, offering mega man for game gear for outrun, space harrier, fantasy zone or psycho fox; one guy offered the first 2 but i'm pushing for 3 out of the 4, cause that strikes me as fair

IrishNinja

score! got this lot today for @ $50:

Space Harrier
OutRun
Quartet
Kung-Fu Kid
Penguin Land
Fantasy Zone (Mark III)

can't wait till they get here! that takes a lot off my list, still kicking myself for not grabbing Psycho Fox for $20 a while back, but it was loose so i figure i'll have other chances.

I forgot to post, but a couple of weeks ago my friend came to stay over and let me take my pick of SMS games that he was going to trade in. I ended up with Psycho Fox, Wonder Boy in Monster Land, and Penguin Land. I passed on in-box copies of Time Soldiers, Wonder Boy III, and Spellcaster since I had those cart only already.

I forgot to post, but a couple of weeks ago my friend came to stay over and let me take my pick of SMS games that he was going to trade in. I ended up with Psycho Fox, Wonder Boy in Monster Land, and Penguin Land. I passed on in-box copies of Time Soldiers, Wonder Boy III, and Spellcaster since I had those cart only already.

i like wonder boy in monster land. i felt like it played like the arcade.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
I can't believe I missed this thread. Recently I started a Youtube channel make videos about games I love, and a big part of that is Genesis/Master System games I missed out on.

Let me tell you gents I just, this very night under a blood-stained moon, beat my very first Master System game. Never played one before! It was Master of Darkness by SIMS (Kinda SEGA) and what a fascinating game with a fascinating history all too common to SMS games to my understanding. It was recommended by someone in the Super Contra thread.

It's much more than a Castlevania rip-off and might even be a great beginner's Castlevania game.

My first video was for Streets of Rage 2, and since then I've basically been filming a level, editing and narrating, and releasing on a level-by-level basis. This game is the first where I"m recording my entire playthrough, editing out the chaff, and then making just a highlight reel where I discuss what I can find out about the game, my experiences with it, and how I liked it. It's been a fun experience and all the playing, replaying, recording, and editing has made me feel like I really have an intimate relationship with the game. Since I first recorded Streets of Rage 2 I've invested in real editing software (Adobe Premier Elements), bought an honest-to-goodness mic, and just ordered a webcam so I can appear in the videos too. I'm just having a blast learning simple video production and trying to have a more outgoing and enjoyable persona and speaking voice. To think this all began because I wanted to document all the great SMS and Genesis classics I missed out on.

I feel like Master of Darkness had some things that Castlevania could learn from. I really enjoyed the admittedly simple story cinematics.

The SMS seems like a weird system, though I count the Genesis as one as well. I had a Genesis as a kid but was 99% a SNES kid, and my Genesis laid dusty beside. There's a TON of great stuff on those boxes I really want to try.

oxrock

Gravity is a myth, the Earth SUCKS!
I had completely forgotten about the SMS until I saw this thread. Our SMS had hang-on preloaded and we also had double dragon, cloud master,Rocky, Penguin land, and some crappy football game that would only let me punt no matter what. My brother and I spent countless hours replaying those game over and over again on a tiny b&w tv set. One day I came home from school to find it had vanished. My parents got tired of us fighting over games and decided to donate it. We had to wait for several years until we were allowed to get an SNES to replace it. Those were hard times.

Fun fact, my mother also donated my SNES and all my games without a word as well years later. (In the ps2 era iirc, i was no longer living at home at the time.) Man, would love to have them both back and get back into some retro games.

IrishNinja

wait, i might be remembering it wrong, but: D Lo/y'all, did one of you say the Mark III paddle controller won't work on a US SMS? how exactly does one play Megumi Rescue over here?

ThEoRy...

Grew up on the Master System. Only maybe 2 or 3 of my friends had one and we used to trade back and forth so we could play all the games. Mostly everyone had a nes so I was sort of the gaming outcast and I sorta liked it. Too many great games to list here and I'm sure you are already aware of them. I would like to ask if anyone else remembers the Sega Visions magazine? It was free if you just called 1800usasega and just asked for it. I called that number so many times. Lol anyways here is a link to the sega visions archive. http://segaretro.org/Sega_Visions Check it out for a trip down memory lane.

Khaz

wait, i might be remembering it wrong, but: D Lo/y'all, did one of you say the Mark III paddle controller won't work on a US SMS? how exactly does one play Megumi Rescue over here?

Paddles are region locked, as surprising as it may be. You need to flick the switch on the FM board you installed to put the console in Japanese mode.

[edit] And switch it back to use the Light Phaser.

Horseticuffs

Grew up on the Master System. Only maybe 2 or 3 of my friends had one and we used to trade back and forth so we could play all the games. Mostly everyone had a nes so I was sort of the gaming outcast and I sorta liked it. Too many great games to list here and I'm sure you are already aware of them. I would like to ask if anyone else remembers the Sega Visions magazine? It was free if you just called 1800usasega and just asked for it. I called that number so many times. Lol anyways here is a link to the sega visions archive. http://segaretro.org/Sega_Visions Check it out for a trip down memory lane.

I remember this! That's where I used to lust after SEGA's VR headset for the Genesis. Did that ever come out?

On another note, my video on Master of Darkness (SMS version) has been published! https://youtu.be/VRb1cUi7r28

My first SMS game and I really tried to do something a little higher quality than I usually do. Whole game in one vid, cover all the points of interest edit out all the deaths and boring bits, just give info and my feelings on it. I definitely intend to do more SMS and Genesis stuff in the future. What a fun couple of consoles that I almost completely skipped out on.

mindatlarge

I'm playing Phantasy Star, the first hour must be the most tedious experience in any RPG, but after that, the game is awesome

Besisdes PS, which are the MUST play from the system?
*Edit* Scratch that, didn't catch that you were asking about Master System or apparently that I was posting in a Sega Master System thread. :I That I know very little about.

mindatlarge

OMG. I remember Wren from PS3! I can't believe he's in another one. That's so cool.
He's probably my favorite character from IV. If you haven't played IV yet, do yourself a big favorite and check it out. Too bad it was released in the shadow of FFIII/VI, even though its considered one of the best RPGs on the Mega Drive, I think it deserves to be mentioned as one of the best JRPGs of all time.

OMG. I remember Wren from PS3! I can't believe he's in another one. That's so cool.

He's probably my favorite character from IV. If you haven't played IV yet, do yourself a big favorite and check it out. Too bad it was released in the shadow of FFIII/VI, even though its considered one of the best RPGs on the Mega Drive, I think it deserves to be mentioned as one of the best JRPGs of all time.

Wren is an AI and a model of robot so the one in Phantasy Star IV is not the same one that is in III.

Horseticuffs

I've actually only played IV myself. But nice catch. Hopefully he/she still tries it out. :p

Oh for sure I will. I recall him being some sort of robot. I really liked PS3 and played it tons of times, but never touched any other games in the series. I missed vast swaths of SEGA goodness back in the day :(

IrishNinja

Paddles are region locked, as surprising as it may be. You need to flick the switch on the FM board you installed to put the console in Japanese mode.

[edit] And switch it back to use the Light Phaser.

oh shit, why did i totally forget i'd have that option here?! now i really gotta track down a paddle on the low!

is ebay really my best resource there? wondering what's a good price for one now. they gotta hold up better over time than the poor US sports pads.

D.Lo

Essentially it needs to be in M3 mode for the paddle to work.

Paddle is usually expensive but you may get one under $50. I sold one a while ago for about that, took ages to sell even though it was the cheapest one in the world.

IrishNinja

^thanks man, mzo's hitting japan soon so i'm hoping he finds me one for a fair price.

still, what an amazing week for SMS pickups - in addition to the aforementioned Space Harrier, Fantasy Zone (Mark III), OutRun, Kung-Fu Kid, Penguin Land & Quartet (arriving thursday!) a friend is sending extra copies of Master of Darkness & Dragon's Crystal that e had! those were huge on my list.

while finding him some stuff in return, im thinking about grabbing Double Dragon (i know) and Sonic 2 since both are on the cheap.

IrishNinja

^god i love SMS manuals

ive been sitting on ths FM board for a week or so now, really hoping to get it modded next weekend! the switch release + family stuff pushed it back, but it's gonna be so cool when it's properly setup.

IrishNinja

so my FM board & switch should be installed soon! a local buddy who runs a Retro shop is working on it, good dude

I know.I've asked but any more ideas on finding a mark III paddle for megumi rescue/woody pop etc now that I can play em? loose ones on US eBay are too pricey (seriously I've seen them posted for more alone than with the system) and my man Mzo had no luck finding one on a recent Japan trip

Top Bottom