• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 10 Anniversary Update breaks Xbox One controller drivers.

derExperte

so even with this update it doesnt fix that Right trigger from sometimes always activating in certain games?. wish there was a way to fix that, while using their headset and/or wireless.

You mean in Unity? Fixed for me but I have to turn on the pad after starting the game to get it recognized. Also now fine is the Telltale stuff. So as far as I'm concerned they've done more good than they broke. Tho I still wonder what's so different about the X1 pad compared to the 360 one.

Outrun

Wow, sucks for those that it is affecting...

Next up, Anniversary Update breaks SNES controllers.

I jest, I jest.

SRTtoZ

Got scared because of this thread but just tried my Elite controller with both the dongle and wired and it works fine with DS3 and all the Lego games I have installed on Steam. Whew...

Corpekata

Banned
You mean in Unity? Fixed for me but I have to turn on the pad after starting the game to get it recognized. Also now fine is the Telltale stuff. So as far as I'm concerned they've done more good than they broke. Tho I still wonder what's so different about the X1 pad compared to the 360 one.

Yeah, wirelessly I thought it was broken but it looks like the Unity games it fucks up now I just need to start the controller after launching the game.

Kind of annoying but a bit better than before.

Mine Doesn't seem to work with big picture it gives me 2 inputs so everything moves 2 spaces when using the dpad

it seems to work in the games I'm playing atm though so its abit odd

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
mines been working but I only use the Xbox Streaming app and I plug in (streaming games to my surface pro 4)

epmode

Xbox One Elite controller working fine over here. I was running a clean install of Windows 10 and I've never manually screwed with my controller drivers; its using whatever is normally installed by Windows Update.

Big Picture Mode is OK (I'm not in the Steam beta), so is DOOM, Danganronpa 2 and a few other games that begin with D.

According to a few developers, Xbox One controller drivers behave differently in Windows 10 than other versions of Windows. I'm just talking about DirectInput here, not XInput. Most modern games support XInput so you may not notice. The problem is that Unity doesn't natively support XInput; it uses DirectInput. Some Unity developers didn't test Xbox One controllers in Windows 10 so you'll run into crazy axis problems. That's why a few Unity games will have an option specifically for Xbox One controllers in Windows 10.

Why MS made the DirectInput portion of the Xbox One drivers behave differently in Windows 10 is beyond me.

Just tested this again...haven't used big picture mode in a while (it actually seems nice?). Yah controller is working fine no probs. Sorry to hear that some are having problems with this.

byropoint

My controller works fine in games but gets recognized as two controllers in Steam Big Picture and every button I press it registers as two button presses :/

sibarraz

Banned
My hori gempad (360 version) was installed again after installing anniversary

Now the system recognizes it as a headphone so when I connect it I can't hear anything

sensui-tomo

not sure, but i know i cant play grandia 2 or pso2 with an xbox one controller without old drivers for it, and they have to be wired, plus xbo stereo headset wont work with it on that driver.

The implicit question I was responding to was what makes an issue threadworthy or not, and while there's no clear hard and fast line, the answer is pretty obviously not going to be "only if it happens to every single user in the world." The additional implication that it must actually be because the board has an anti-MS bias intent on disseminating FUD about all things Microsoft, as opposed to providing an easily updatable source of information for those affected by the problem to compare reports, evidence, and help diagnose the issue, just made the post that much more ridiculous.

The problem with this is that the title of this thread is 'Windows 10 anniversary update breaks Xbox one controller drivers'. There's no wiggle room in a title like that, the implicit understanding is that the update breaks the driver for the users of the update. It doesn't say some, or many, it just says it breaks it. So if I download the anniversary update it breaks the driver. It's a terrible title, disputed here by actual users, and is the very definition of FUD.

robgrab

So far Dragon's Dogma Dark Arisen is the only game I've had issues with post Windows Anniversary update. The button mapping is all jacked up on my (wired) Xbox One Elite controller. I tried trashing the config.ini file for the game, manually changing the settings in the menu, and setting it to default controls but nothing works. It worked perfectly before installing the update. Other games I tried are Middle Earth Shadow of Mordor, Batman Arkham Knight, and Gears of War but they all worked fine.

Dolobill

I have the same problem as the OP. Registering as two controllers in Steam and the controls in Big Picture are completely broken as a result. I'm using the new Xbox One S controller over Bluetooth.

broken for me on some things, working on others. haven't had a ton of time to test, but some examples below

broken:
slain, inside, kodi

working:
doom, forza apex, controller companion

xbox one elite controller. same behavior using wireless dongle or plugged in with a usb cable

Unity games and some Japanese games have poor/improper Xinput driver implementation, on everything else that do it correctly there won't be issues.

eerik9000

Doesn't work in The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth / Afterbirth. :( Had to dig up my old Dualshock 4 to do dailies. Spelunky is fine though.

The problem with this is that the title of this thread is 'Windows 10 anniversary update breaks Xbox one controller drivers'. There's no wiggle room in a title like that, the implicit understanding is that the update breaks the driver for the users of the update. It doesn't say some, or many, it just says it breaks it. So if I download the anniversary update it breaks the driver. It's a terrible title, disputed here by actual users, and is the very definition of FUD.

The post I was responding to in my first post in the thread was not a complaint about the title but about the thread's very existence so I don't know why you're going to bat for it. But now that we're thoroughly off course anyway, I don't accept that the users of this forum are so hyper-literal that reports of any technical issue must be appended with the qualifier "for some" or they won't understand that there's a possibility that they might not be 100% universal since virtually no PC software issue works like that. In any case, if you really have a problem with a thread title, PMing a mod is the preferred route, not engaging in in-thread meta-commentary about it.

Akronis

Wow this Anniversary update has been shit to me. Just got new mobo and CPU installed and it deactivated Windows. Good thing I bought through the Windows Store, right?! Nope, you can't link digital copies unless you have 1607 already. That's ok, I'll just use the product key! Wait, they don't give you those either with digital orders. No problem, I'll just get the 1607 update. Oh you need to have activated Windows to update.

Coooooooooooooooooool.

I just had to spoof KMS so I could download this fucking update so I can activate Windows. Fuck you Microsoft.

Sorry if this is thread shitting, I needed to vent somewhere

Wow this Anniversary update has been shit to me. Just got new mobo and CPU installed and it deactivated Windows. Good thing I bought through the Windows Store, right?! Nope, you can't link digital copies unless you have 1607 already. That's ok, I'll just use the product key! Wait, they don't give you those either with digital orders. No problem, I'll just get the 1607 update. Oh you need to have activated Windows to update.

Coooooooooooooooooool.

I just had to spoof KMS so I could download this fucking update so I can activate Windows. Fuck you Microsoft.

Sorry if this is thread shitting, I needed to vent somewhere

You can download the ISO for the Anniversary Update directly from Microsoft and use that to update an older version to 1607. They make it easy on purpose.

samred

Win 10 anniversary kills xb1 pads in videoball via official adapter. Can't have that. I need my videoball pads. Other games seem to work, but yeah, looks hit or miss at this point.

Bravoexo

Mine initially would just die after turning on. Several batteries later, I figured it wasn't that...so I took the cable my Elite came with and attached it that way.. connected and then I took the cable off and it continued to be connected, like before. No biggie.

My AVerMedia Live Gamer Extreme had the same problem, found the device couldn't get resources (Error Code 10), un hid all devices in device manager and found the orphan device that had reserved the i/o range...uninstalled the hidden device and viola, instant fix.

Lutherian

Played three hours of Rice of the Tomb Raider yesterday on Windows 10 1607 (Anniversary Update) x64, no problems with my wired Xbox One Controller.

Head.spawn

Tried out a few games tonight with an Xbox One controller via Bluetooth:

Slain!
Killing Floor
Assault Android Cactus
Blood Alloy: Reborn
Killer Instinct

All worked perfectly. I'll post back again if anything changes.

saunderez

My hori gempad (360 version) was installed again after installing anniversary

Now the system recognizes it as a headphone so when I connect it I can't hear anything
That's easily fixed. Go and set your actual audio device as the default. Windows has incorrectly assumed the newly installed device should be the preferred one.

Karadaliev

Neo Member
Mmm, at least for me both the Xbox One Controller, and the PS4 are working just fine after the update. Both of those are wired, not wireless.

lmimmfn

Luckily my xbox 1 controller that i got free with my oculus rift broke after 2 months, probably from all the abuse playing 8 hours a week on the immensely fast paced/tough on controllers game Witcher 3.
Left stick just busted into the housing.

So, yep thankfully i dont have to worry about Win 10 driver issues with it anymore :)

* Cuddles 8 year old 360 controller *

KainXVIII

Luckily my xbox 1 controller that i got free with my oculus rift broke after 2 months, probably from all the abuse playing 8 hours a week on the immensely fast paced/tough on controllers game Witcher 3.
Left stick just busted into the housing.

So, yep thankfully i dont have to worry about Win 10 driver issues with it anymore :)

* Cuddles 8 year old 360 controller *

Yeah, my 360 gamepad is nearly unbreakable (apart from shitty dpad of course), still working, only left stick is a "little" worn )

5e0fbf270c384352165c3363bffd264a-jpg.76259

MuchoMalo

Banned
70478534.jpg

10/10 Microsoft. I guess MS wasn't satisfied with how shitty the Anniversary Update is in terms of "features" and decided to toss in a ton of bugs as well. Seriously thinking about that switch to Linux about now...

Alexm92

Everyone that uses DS4's on PC now have messed up Exclusive Mode due to the HID enumeration introduced with the update, it's feasible that other controllers, including MS's, would be as well, in the case of the OP.

For people that say their controllers work fine, how does it work in Dark Souls or Witcher 3 or other games that require exclusive mode usage? Not saying they shouldn't work, just curious.

Xbox One controller with wireless dongle working fine with Witcher 3 here. Haven't tested any other games yet though. This sucks for people having problems

Parsnip

Wired seems to work fine here, no double xinput devices.

On wireless with the official dongle, I'm getting double input in bpm and antimicro, no controllers at all in unity games.

When I get home I'm going to try starting the controller after launching the games to see if that makes a difference, maybe check if there are firmware updates.

My controller is the second revision with a headphone jack.

lmimmfn

Yeah, my 360 gamepad is nearly unbreakable (apart from shitty dpad of course), still working, only left stick is a "little" worn )
Yeah the dpad sux and i had to solder my wireless dongle but thats simple enough.

lol@your 360s left stick, sign of an avid gamer :)

Does anyone have working versions of games people have reported problems with? Off the top of my head, Dragon's Dogma, Binding of Isaac, Tabletop Racing..?

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Breaking hacked workarounds is one thing; breaking your own damn drivers and hardware is next-level.

Breaking hacked workarounds is one thing; breaking your own damn drivers and hardware is next-level.
I'd be a little more patient if it were some complex piece of hardware that was relatively new, or drivers provided by the community.. but it is neither of those. It's a bloody controller ffs.

Kareha

I guess this is why I wasn't able to get my Xbox One controller working in Final Fantasy 9 last night after I'd updated.

Yep, two controllers detected and double inputs in big picture mode.

giphy.gif

Glad I only updated my laptop, haven't touched my main rig and won't until this bullshit is fixed. Fuck you MS, you're going on my Konami list, again.

me0wish

Win 10 anniversary kills xb1 pads in videoball via official adapter. Can't have that. I need my videoball pads. Other games seem to work, but yeah, looks hit or miss at this point.

Screw that, glad I still have my 360 controllers.

Rolled back. Problem fixed.

I'm going to become one of those people who never updated from windows 7. Because it works and that's enough for me.

Top Bottom