• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why do press kits exist?

CamHostage

But the games journalism industry isn't exactly the pinnacle of ethics.

But games journalism is also not the dregs of anti-consumer shilling either. Shitting on the people you're asking to join in on talk about a thought makes them just want to avoid getting shit on.

I think the fight against complaints on journalism from journalists comes from knowing that credit is hardly ever given for getting the job done, and the few public instances of breakdowns in policy (a number of which have been breakdowns in management rather than a specific journalist abusing his position) have smeared a business that has striven to be open and honest and professional (despite market conditions that have made such an approach to be less and less financially lucrative over the years.)

...some of us have moderate opinions that publishers spend the money on press kits so as to create an overall more positive impression of their game which, as humans, inevitably causes some sort of unconscious bias that we cannot control. One might also imply that this is not akin to corruption, but obviously the reason companies put in the effort to do these things in the first place.

But let's not talk about reasonable middlegrounds, there's no place for that here. It's just journalists getting hurt that anyone could believe they are susceptible to regular human biases, and others crying about the corrupt capitalist influence of materialistic press kits on the media proletariat.

Yep, it is difficult to have an honest conversation. Unconscious influence is a real factor that journalists naturally have to contend with, and talking about it actually bubbles up awareness of its effects on both sides. Unfortunately, since so many think that journalists are dirty, mooching bottom-feeders and because journalists think they're fighting for their lives to get any story actually read, we cannot have a direct and even-handed conversation about it. Each believes that one side is all wrong, one side is all right, and no progress gets made.

Literally all marketing for a game, which game journalists are subjected to day in and day out as part of their job, is designed to influence your opinion of it. That is, indeed, the entire point of marketing. Press kits are no more bribery than the early previews journos get to play before consumers, or whatever dumb swag they throw in to an E3 bag. Any game journalist worth a damn is utterly desensitized to it because they are bombarded with it at all times to the point of it becoming routine.

And I think the question journalists would have is, what can I do about it other than do my job? Journalists didn't ask for these press packages, and it's not like they'll go, "What, no fancy pack-in book? Screw you Uncharted, you get a 2!" It's part of the job that shit shows up at your desk, some of it is good shit and some of it goes right in the trash. You can set firewall principles up and tell publishers that you will not accept anything but a disc or code, or you can use that time spent arguing and mailing shit back to just pull out the disc/code and go do your job, maybe play with some of the tchotchke when you're all done with work.

Either way, there is no way to be entirely "objective" of the surrounding hype for a game if you love gaming. Myself, I will never be professionally reviewing The Last Guardian or have any connection to its development, yet even I as a consumer have an emotional connection to this project and designer Ueda and all the history behind it. I'd think you had a screw loose if you looked at FF XV and SteinsGate on the new release chart and thought they were equally impactful game releases. You'd be bad at your job as a journalist if you were surprised to see a game manufacturer put a ton of PR effort into a big game.

There is no objectivity. There is only discipline in seeing what really matters, which is the game that you or somebody else will have to spend $60 on.

I can see why they'd still have their uses. I think more often than not, in this day and age, they're a bit antiquated and a little unnecessary.

I suppose for the publishers to try and control the messaging and media around their game as much as possible, it's better for the publishers?

It does keep all the materials in one place, and easier for media to have access to said material, if anything else.

NateDrake

If they're so desensitized then surely they would have no problem with digital codes or a white sleeve with the disc inside.

Stop with this extravagant opulent shit, it comes out of the end customers pockets. Just don't complain to me about rising costs of development or additional sources of revenue if you gonna waste it on fuckboii shit like free handjobs to gaming media.

A lot of games are distributed as digital codes or in a simple CD case these days. 1% of games get a lavish press kit these days.

The product in the restaurant is the food and service. Those two are not constants, since they can change every day. A video game is a product that is not different for different people. It is a set product. Publishers can not give a reviewer a version with less bugs. The press kit does not influence the quality of the product like a cook might do with a food review.

Well, I can't say I agree that a game is a set product--that's the very reason many outlets refuse to review online games that are only offered for early review on special, closed servers that don't reflect the played experience after release.

I'd also say that I don't necessarily think that a "game" should be thought of as only the code that's on the disc and nothing more. I tend to think, instead, that it's fine and natural to consider them in their full context--including, perhaps, "codex"-style entries that might be found online, or the communities they've built, and sure, even their marketing. If, as a critic, you can find something interesting there that you can speak about clearly and honestly, I think that's great.

A thing that makes these little pack-in tchotchkes something I'd rather avoid, is that they're a shallow bid against that honesty, regardless of whether they work or not. They're aimed at me, the critic, tacitly intended to have an effect, while still being so insubstantial as to be impossible to say anything interesting and critical about.

The thinking is that press is still human so if you give them something cool that it'll have at least some effect on their impression of your product.

I'm only referring to the ones that are very lavish and look like crazy nice CEs.

Is it kinda shady? Yeah. But PR's job is not to ensure the game gets "unbiased" reviews.

NMFried

Most press kits I get end up being a sheet of paper in the mail and a .ZIP file. That does the job, but the fancy stuff is cool from a gamer standpoint.

Does it effect my view of the game in terms of reviewing it? No.

Nobody likes those "weekend long parties" you are talking about. You're basically restricted to a hotel where you do nothing but play the game. It all sounds fancy as fuck until you realize that it doesn't matter in what kind of exotic location they're hosting it... it won't matter much since all you'll be seeing is four walls and a TV screen. Review events are the worst and the only people who think they're "cool parties" are people who have never done them.

Didn't someone from gaming 'press' write big breakdown of these events and while he decribed it as awful he made a point of 'new' guys lapping it up.

Fake edit: Googled and could only find this.

Why should I give this all the benefit of the doubt when we've all seen examples of corruption in the game industry and gaming review sites? If reviewers want to be taken seriously, they shouldn't accept these "gifts".

Any reviewer worth their salt gives this shit away after the review anyhow so.

Press kits are just like advertisements, 99.9% of people are immune to them.

your percentages are a little off :D and most ads are made either for promoting a marked price or for brand awareness, so you'll remember seeing a logo often and therefore have more trust in the brand, even subconsciously. It's all about targeting people and hoping their demand and your supply are a match.

Rwinterhalter

Neo Member
Imagine three ideal ad-proof game journalists on a cliff...

No but seriously, was this thread started by a 7th grader? I used to work as a games journalist, and nobody cares about press kits. They're designed to influence YouTubers and other naive influencers. "THE Bethesda sent ME Skyrim early." Nobody wants extra shit in their cramped SF apartment. In order to avoid appearance to the contrary we give shit away if it doesn't go straight in the garbage. You're not even allowed to sell games back at GameStop. At this point you guys are asking for confirmation that we throw shit away. You want us to film ourselves junking this stiff? Will you watch that? Are you really demanding video of people throwing stuff int he garbage. On second thought, that sounds like easy content. Let's do it.

Actually, I made all of that up. Bethesda sent IGN a giant power armored eyesore of a statue. It blessed me as I walked into work every day and we gave great reviews in hopes that our Maryland based overlords might deign to send us more graven images. You should have seen how I debased myself to get my hands on the chainsaw sword from Space Marine.

dracula_x

probably something related to this thread, Until Dawn press-kit – https://twitter.com/SarahWellock84/status/820620038541606912
C2NtkA_WIAEphR-.jpg:orig

C2NtkAoXUAEYBEd.jpg:orig

C2NtkBWWQAACj2O.jpg:orig

even just art on box looks much better than standard steelbook edition for regular users

probably something related to this thread, Until Dawn press-kit – https://twitter.com/SarahWellock84/status/820620038541606912

even just art on box looks much better than standard steelbook edition for regular users
Well, she was working at Sony at the time, so that has little do with journalists getting press kits.

They should make a shop for this stuff so people can buy them if they want. Just put a very limited amount up, since they are being made anyway.

Top Bottom