• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon 2 Squid Research Lab (news updates on the game)

Never played splatoon but why is the jump button not assigned to a shoulder button? It seems the best option in a dual stick control.

Never played splatoon but why is the jump button not assigned to a shoulder button? It seems the best option in a dual stick control.
A lot of devs still haven't learned that for any mp shooter that has jumping in its meta (titanfall, halo, some OW characters) bumper jumper is a much, much better layout.

Or maybe they have but don't wanna mess with people who aren't used to it.

Trevelyan

Banned

Squid form is infinitely more valuable then jumping in this game and you use it much more frequently. It makes sense for Squid to be on shoulder and jump on a face button.

I think it's because jumping as a squid is such a necessary and useful skill that they thought it'd be too obnoxious to hold LZ with your middle finger and then use that same hand on the L button.
Maybe.
I don't know.
Leave me alone.

I say L should be mapped to Special if the button's going to be empty. I hate using the R3 or L3 buttons.

ChrisD

Thanks for the thread! Don't have a tumblr, so I don't check the Squid Labs. Subscribed.

Here's some high level play

https://youtu.be/He_F-vvFPyk

Gosh dang it, the praise for the Pro Controller from people in regards to their extreme comfort had me interested, but Dude has me straight up feeling like I should buy one for a better gameplay experience, period.

...Hope they're not rare by the time Splatoon 2 comes out.

I sold my Wii U at the start of 2016 and I really miss playing Splatoon. Probably the highlight of the system for me. I'll be buying a Switch for this game specifically. Summer needs to hurry up and get here D:

Thanks for the thread! Don't have a tumblr, so I don't check the Squid Labs. Subscribed.

Gosh dang it, the praise for the Pro Controller from people in regards to their extreme comfort had me interested, but Dude has me straight up feeling like I should buy one for a better gameplay experience, period.

Yea I plan on buying 2.

A lot of devs still haven't learned that for any mp shooter that has jumping in its meta (titanfall, halo, some OW characters) bumper jumper is a much, much better layout.

And si you cannot change the button layout? 😕

When they said that the pro controller had gyro in it I was sold on it just for this game alone. Loved using both gyro and the stick in the original Splatoon, but using the gamepad that much sucked

RedFyn

Not sure if old but I noticed that it is possible for rollers to do their normal jump flick if they jump after the swinging animation has started.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZ0iEhxwJyg&t=1m01s

I never used a roller (because I have a soul) so I'm not sure how applicable that is.

Kidding. We all know blaster mains are the real monsters.
Yeah, it should be fairly easy to control the different flicks. It'll take some getting used to and will further the skill gap but it's a much needed buff.

The B button is now jump? That seems like an odd change. I'll press the X button so many times in the beginning, I just know it!
The stick placement meant they had to switch it. The closest button needs to be jump.

backlot

Yeah, it should be fairly easy to control the different flicks. It'll take some getting used to and will further the skill gap but it's a much needed buff.
I wonder how dynamo would work then? Starting a vertical flick in the air and finishing on the ground seems weird.

nullset2

You're a squid now you're a teenager due to how they're dressed in this sequel now.

Subscribed.

Splatoon 3, 4, 5...

You're a kid,
you're a teen,
you're a young adult without any real idea of how to do anything,
you're a young adult with responsibilities,
you're a young adult that's kind of figured it out now
you're an adult,
you're a dad.

RedFyn

Squidding is the more valuable and just more common button of this game and so it's on zl. Zl is basically the "enhanced movement button". Now jumping is also very important and so they need to have a way for you to use both at the same time. Most people don't play with a finger on zl and a finger on L so they made jump the easiest to reach button and because of gyro aiming you can afford to take your finger off of the right stick for short periods of time. Obviously it would be better to have configurable controls and hey could map jump to L and B but apparently they don't want to do that. It's not perfect and this is why bumpers are great but it works.

Here is Smol Judd to bless your day:
SgrgZEu.gif

sold.

Splatoon 3, 4, 5...

You're a kid,
you're a teen,
you're an adult,
you're a dad.

you're already dead

StayDead

Splatoon 3, 4, 5...

You're a kid,
you're a teen,
you're an adult,
you're a dad.

you're a squid now.

21x2

That stingray special is definitely going to be buffed after release since it turns slowly.

I'm expecting it to function similarly to the Killer Wail - you can get kills with it but that's not really what it's meant for; rather it's supposed to shut down areas and scatter the enemy team. Slow and easy to dodge but critical not to ignore, just like the Wail.
In this regard I think it's looking like it's fairly well balanced, expecially since specials in general seem a bit weaker this time around.

ryechu

One thing that makes this different than those shooters, is the run/reload/stealth button is also a shoulder button. This means that if you want to swim jump, which is a basic traversal mechanic you need every match to get around, you will have to double finger the shoulder buttons, which is not a common way to hold the controller

I'm kind of glad that map will be brought up on screen now. I always would worry about someone sneaking up on me while looking at the GamePad.

ChrisD

Part of me feels like the Stingray painting the ground is a pretty good compromise. It's a huge area denial that also cuts off a lot of their color.

The Demo map is also pretty open, so much like if you took our Killer Wail there it won't shine too brightly.

In other words, I don't see anything in need of buffs/nerfs quite yet, even if the footage we have makes it look fairly lackluster.

Gnomist

I think the reasoning is that Jump is really the only face button you'll need to worry about consistently when compared to the others so your thumb isn't often used for anything BUT jumping. In general I think that every game should just allow players to remap controls to whatever feels best for them though.

Thud

Splatoon 3, 4, 5...

You're a kid,
you're a teen,
you're an adult,
you're a dad.

You're lunch now.

J@hranimo

Banned
I'm expecting it to function similarly to the Killer Wail - you can get kills with it but that's not really what it's meant for; rather it's supposed to shut down areas and scatter the enemy team. Slow and easy to dodge but critical not to ignore, just like the Wail.
In this regard I think it's looking like it's fairly well balanced, expecially since specials in general seem a bit weaker this time around.

I suppose, but I think it'll do a much less of a good job of being that area denial special compared to Killer Wail which in my opinion was pretty balanced. We'll have to see though.

Moondrop

Banned
Not sure if old but I noticed that it is possible for rollers to do their normal jump flick if they jump after the swinging animation has started.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZ0iEhxwJyg&t=1m01s

I never used a roller (because I have a soul) so I'm not sure how applicable that is.

Kidding. We all know blaster mains are the real monsters.
Oh my god that roller may be my dream set: curling bomb plus splashdown pound. I would've played more roller if I liked the sub/specials.
Custom blaster main

Doorman

So it's not news from the Squid Research Lab itself, but I figured I'd take a second to pimp a post I made over in the original game's OT yesterday regarding an apparent new feature in the sequel. I'm guessing not everyone keeping up with the thread here is active there, after all.

So it's possible that it was mentioned as an "oh neat" thing earlier and I just missed it, but watching the trailer again a detail occurred to me that I hadn't been paying attention to earlier, and I'm very curious to see how they choose to implement it in the game.

DayAndNight.png

So thanks to various clips of the new band stage...uh, stage, we know for sure now that battles can take place at various times of day, and not just the same daytime and splatfest-nighttime that the first game had. Thanks to coincidental timing of when I happened to grab these shots from the trailer, you even see how close the angle is with where the sun is placed, interesting. There's a few possible ways that a stage's time of day could possibly be determined:

1. The stage's time of day depends on the time you're playing
2. Could just be picked at random
3. Matches could start with the midday skybox and gradually transition into dusk during the final minute as an additional visual indicator of time running low.
4. Different times of day for different game modes. My current favorite theory is that inklings play turf war casuals during the daytime, and once the sun starts to set, teams gather up, get more serious, and that's when the ranking games go down.

Fun to speculate for now as we continue the inevitable drip-feed up to release!

I feel like people have ignored the most important news this week. Callie isn't dead, and certainly my involvement in helping Marie win in the last Splatfest didn't do her in yakuza style.

http://nintendoeverything.com/callie-will-also-be-back-in-splatoon-2/

One of the hosts mentioned seeing Marie in Splatoon 2's video, yet Callie was nowhere to be seen. Nogami said in response that Callie is still around, and joked about how she was busy for her business so she couldn't participate in filming.

KingBroly

Banned
Splatoon 3, 4, 5...

You're a kid,
you're a teen,
you're an adult,
you're a dad.

You're a Clam Now
You're a ____ Now

I don't get why they want you to open the map THEN select spawn point THEN confirm with A if you want to do an emergency escape. They should've just mapped it to the D-pad down button without any sort of confirmation.

Anyway as expected all points to Splatoon 2 having inferior controls to the original.

I don't get why they want you to open the map THEN select spawn point THEN confirm with A if you want to do an emergency escape. They should've just mapped it to the D-pad down button without any sort of confirmation.

Anyway as expected all points to Splatoon 2 having inferior controls to the original.
I don't get why they couldn't have put a minimap somewhere on the UI rather than have the map be all or nothing.

D.Lo

I mean I assume they have playtested all solutions, but yeah not having the map at all times will change the game quite dramatically.

Totakeke

You hold a dpad direction and press A to jump.

watershed

Banned
I hope and anticipate an expanded single player campaign. I think the devs know that people enjoyed the single player campaign in Splatoon but also wanted more.

jwillenn

Here's some high level play

https://youtu.be/He_F-vvFPyk

His issue with controls (Right JoyCon, accessing B for jump between camera stick usage) would be easily rectified by having a controls customization feature, whether at the system level or simply for the game. Don't want B for Jump? Fine. Make it whatever you want it to be. X, SR, camera stick button... whatever. Let's hope the game has it.

Also, maybe I'm crazy and this wouldn't work as well as I've been imagining since the Wii days (because I almost never see anyone else talking about wanting this for an option), but I figured I'd prefer the aiming & firing aspect of a game like Splatoon more if I could move a cross-hair around the screen without that impacting my view while still being able to control the camera with the secondary analog stick. Think of a version of S&P2 where camera manipulation is necessary as it was to a degree in Panzer Dragoon. It could be even nicer IF I found that preferable in most situations but could instantly toggle back to a secondary control setup at the press of a button if I found that preferable for very special situations.

But yeah...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ree--2H3xg4

why not?

Main things I'm worried about is that the jumping to a teammate is clunkier, especially compared to the original, and now there will be no inkstrikes. I won so many matches with a last minute inkstrike in Splatoon.. I did like the dodge rolling and the jetpack abilities with the duelies though. I played it at the London event last week.

Top Bottom