• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Mod Discussion and News [Creation Kit released]

Ok folks, this is a comprehensive list of the mods I'm currently using; it's not a complete one (because it took a bit to link all the mentioned ones) but you can say it's definitely most of them.
Do keep in mind that these mods were chosen in the first place to be suited according to my tastes and play style. I'm posting this list because some gaffers were courious about my setup.
I'm currently not using Sounds of Skyrim (SoS) because it makes my game CTD with Climates of Tamriel, or at least I suppose so.

You can check the visual style achieved with these mods in my previous posts: 01 - 02 - 03 - 04 - 05 - 06
Enjoy and happy modding!

❒ General
. Static Mesh Improvement Mod - SMIM
. Skyrim HD - 2k Textures (1_5 Full)
. ForceWithin ENB

❒ Environment
. AOF Detailed Mountains
. Skyrim Flora Overhaul
. Lush Grass
. Real Glaciers
. 83Willows 101BugsHD (V4_1 High + HighSpawn)
. Birds of Skyrim
. Sounds of Nature Redux
. Immersive Skyrim Thunder V5

❒ Water
. W.A.T.E.R. (+ Get Wet + wetter looking rocks)
. Green Water Fix (v2 Compatible)

❒ Weather
. Project Reality - Climates Of Tamriel (+ Vanilla Lights lvl2)
. Dramatic Clouds
. Better Dynamic Snow
. Get Snowy
. More Rain (33% less view)

❒ Lightning
. CLARALUX - More and Brighter Lights (V2A)
. Lanterns of Skyrim - All In One (+ Climates Of Tamriel Preset v2)
. theFlicker
. Shadow Striping Fix
. Brighter Campfires (x 1.5)
. People Have Torches
. Spells will give off Light (EVEN SMALLER Spell Light Radius - 35% reduction v4)

❒ FX
. Realistic Smoke and Embers
. Finer Dust

❒ GUI
. A Quality World Map - With Roads
. Skill Interface Retexture
. KenMOD - Time on loading screen
. Main Menu Spinning Skyrim Emblem (Very Slow Speed)

❒ Combat
. ACE - Combat Skills (Master File - V.12a)
. ASIS - Automatic Spells, Increased Spawns
. BYOG - Balance Your Own Game
. The Dance of Death - A Killmove Mod
. Arrows Tweaks
. Enhanced Blood Textures
. Deadly Spell Impacts

❒ Appearance
. Apachii Sky Hair
. Cazy hairs and demoness hairs conversion
. AOF Believable Hair
. Covereyes (eyes 4)
. Gizmodian Scars
. Improved Freckles Skyrim

. Calientes Female Body Mod Big Bottom Edition - CBBE NSFW
. Besvanbeu Muscle Textures + navatsea female presets V2 (+ feminine arms toned abs PATCH) NSFW
. Better males - Beautiful nudes and faces (Underwear - Default) NSFW
. High Res Face Maps for Men by Geonox (Detailed)
. Male Underwear Replacer - Loin

❒ Apparel
. AEterna Circlets
. AEterna Rings
. Expanded Jewelry Crafting

. Cloaks of Skyrim
. Winter is Coming - Cloaks
. Bandolier - Bags and Pouches

. Elaborate Textiles - NPC Clothing Retexture
. Hvergelmirs Armor Retexture
. Hvergelmirs Shield Retexture
. aMidianBorn steel armor
. Dark Elven Thalmor-style Equipment
. Alternate Glass armor textures (Elven)
. Thieves Guild Armor Denim Style HQ
. 83Willows REAL DREADLOCKS female Forsworn (BROWN replacer)
. Immersive Armors
. Triss Armor Retextured
. Tribunal Robes
. Black Tower and Black Sacrament Armor pack
. Kynesguard and Daedra Hunter Weapons and Armor
. Space Wiking Dwemer Exoskeleton
. Dwemer Goggles and Scouter

❒ Weapons
. Well Placed Weapons and Quivers
. Millenia Weapon Retexture Project - WRP
. Icy Chillrend with transparency
. Insanitys Dragonbane
. The Loner's Sword
. Witchers Silver Sword
. Bow and Arrow HD Retex
. Private Selective Quivers
. Daedric Arrows and Quiver Retextured

❒ Followers
. UFO - Ultimate Follower Overhaul
. Convenient Horses
. Horse Armors for Skyrim
. Non Whory Looking Housecarls slightly NSFW
. Lydia face change
. The New Jordis, The New Aela, The New Mjoll, The New Brelyna, The New Ria, etc.
. 83Willows - JENASSA
. 83Willows - THAIDEN (New Follower)
. Temptress Race

❒ Misc
. Rich Merchants
. Dynamic Merchants
. Unique Booze Bottles HD
. HQ Paper
. Insanitys City Banner Replacer
. Expanded Winterhold Destruction Ruins (Exterior)
. Solitude Public Bathhouse
. Lakeside Hideaway
. Lockpick graduation (option B)
. Less touchy lockpicking
. Feminine Running and New Dash Animation
. Puppeteer Master
. Spouses Can Live Everywhere
. Divorce
. Review Studio

Btw I also did some minor tweaking on both the ini files. Nothing too serious, I followed the nVIDIA tweaking guide and added
some specific lines recommended or requested by some mods.

Thanks so much! My Skyrim looks great!!! (AT 30 FPS :-( )

Loginius

Thanks for mentioning those, I didnt know them before and they are awesome.

"The New..." series goes incredible well with Female face retexture

I used Genox Male Faces lower rez instead of High Res Face Maps for Men by Geonox (Detailed) tho, I am not going to use 20+MB face textures. (the difference is almost non existent)

How bad is it that Elaborate Textiles - NPC Clothing Retexture is low rez?
Is it noticable even when not "in your face" close up?
I think the retextured clothes look awesome but I dont want to loose the awesome detail the 2k pack gave 8P
Is the tradeoff worth it?

Edit:
Just installed it anyway, looks way too cool to pass up!

What ENB mod is that?

*WARNING CONTAINS HEAVY USAGE OF DOF*
rSJHq.jpg

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uU91RqO_0fI [Not my video]

Will be uploading a hud-less runthrough. It's very short, you just can't last very long in the wilderness without your HUD.

Naito

Thanks for mentioning those, I didnt know them before and they are awesome.

You're welcome! As some suggested via pm, it could be useful to add some of the links into the OP.

"The New..." series goes incredible well with Female face retexture
Yup, but keep in mind navatsea merged his face retexture with his body mod, so the latest version is located here
. Besvanbeu Muscle Textures + navatsea female presets V2 (+ feminine arms toned abs PATCH) NSFW

How bad is it that Elaborate Textiles - NPC Clothing Retexture is low rez?
Is it noticable even when not "in your face" close up?

At first I was too very skeptical about Elaborate Textiles - NPC Clothing Retexture: as you pointed out, the textures are 1024x1024 and, if you were using Improved NPC Clothing - High Res until now, you do notice the difference.
Buuuut... I have to say the former brings quite a variety and vibrancy to npc's clothes, so I ended up installing it. It's actually not that bad!

They're low res but clothes have more details in them: I say, go with it!
As for myself, I'm currently using a mix between the two.

In other news, this Train rain mod is batshit insane :D

EDIT: oh, I just noticed you actually made up your mind :) I also took the opportunity to add a couple of new links to my mods list!

Loginius

Yup, but keep in mind navatsea merged his face retexture with his body mod, so the latest version is located here

Yeah I know, but I really dont like any of the body mods Ive seen so far so Im still roling with the old face textures.

At first I was too very skeptical about Elaborate Textiles - NPC Clothing Retexture: as you pointed out, the textures are 1024x1024 and, if you were using Improved NPC Clothing - High Res until now, you do notice the difference.
Buuuut... I have to say the former brings quite a variety and vibrancy to npc's clothes, so I ended up installing it. It's actually not that bad!

They're low res but clothes have more details in them: I say, go with it!
As for myself, I'm currently using a mix between the two.

EDIT: oh, I just noticed you actually made up your mind :) I also took the opportunity to add a couple of new links to my mods list!
Jup, just tried them and the difference is noticable but the added detail makes more then just up for it, love the way clothes look now.

On a nother note:
Just had my first fight with an ancient dragon since installing deadly Dragons... shit is intense!
I might have to reconsider my cloth waring mage build or abuse enchanting/alchemy.
At the moment it works like this: I get hit I die (only way to avoid this was already healing with left and shielding with right when the dragonbreath hits me, armor spells do almost nothing against that much dmg.

I actuall had to kite him out of the village I was just stroling around when he attacked as he started to kill villagers that ran trough the long lasting burning on the ground.

I finally beat him but there were casualties consisting of 2 guards, 2 lizard men, 1 werebear and 8 summons... (and I had to reload 3 times because I died)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-maZTVVgE8

This is the exact same glitch I am having! Even after re-installing everything I can't make it go away on my main save file (which alone is approaching 200 hours of playtime). It isn't a problem on new games. I went back some 20 saves and the glitch is present on all of them for this character. :/

Now that I know other people have it, maybe I can look around for a solution...For now it is only affecting the high level bandit enemies, some bears, and some trolls. Hopefully it doesn't spread to other NPCs. :(

Tess3ract

Banned
What kind of graphics card do you need to have DOF or ENB?

Has the game been patched to run better lately since it was released? I haven't had it installed for a while since beating most of the content.

I still only have a phenom II X3 720 @ 3.5, and a 1gb HD4890 @ 1920x1200, and I remember it running around 30-45fps ish outdoors at most

What kind of graphics card do you need to have DOF or ENB?

Has the game been patched to run better lately since it was released? I haven't had it installed for a while since beating most of the content.

I still only have a phenom II X3 720 @ 3.5, and a 1gb HD4890 @ 1920x1200, and I remember it running around 30-45fps ish outdoors at most

Were you playing when the big optimization patch came out and made Skyboost pointless? If no then its gotten better by about 15-20 FPS. ATI might have optimized more on their end, I know Nvidia has.

In terms of what you will get with ENB running depends on the whose ENB you are running. ForceWithin's ENB will probably knock you down 15-25 FPS, but his has all the bells and whistles. A more conservative ENB can be as little as 5 FPS I'd look around Nexus to find one you like.

ACE 1991

I think I might be throwing in the towel with ENB. No easy way to force triple-buffering, very noticeable input lag, and my inability to keep above 30 frames even using the performance settings is disheartening. Is ENB really that taxing, or am I doing something wrong? I have a 6950 1gb, 8gb of ram, and a an i5 2500K.

I think I might be throwing in the towel with ENB. No easy way to force triple-buffering, very noticeable input lag, and my inability to keep above 30 frames even using the performance settings is disheartening. Is ENB really that taxing, or am I doing something wrong? I have a 6950 1gb, 8gb of ram, and a an i5 2500K.

As far as I know ENB runs bad on AMD, Boris said that he develops ENB on a Nvidia card so he doesn't test or optimize it for AMD

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-maZTVVgE8

This is the exact same glitch I am having! Even after re-installing everything I can't make it go away on my main save file (which alone is approaching 200 hours of playtime). It isn't a problem on new games. I went back some 20 saves and the glitch is present on all of them for this character. :/

Now that I know other people have it, maybe I can look around for a solution...For now it is only affecting the high level bandit enemies, some bears, and some trolls. Hopefully it doesn't spread to other NPCs. :(
This is fairly common and can happen for many reasons. I've seen it happen on many occasions if an NPC has its race changed; it happens more frequently with NPCs that are of a beast race (bear, elk etc.), also quite common with dragons. It can also happen if some script is interrupted, this can be seen in the execution event in the intro should you input some console command at the right moment. I managed to have one guy beheaded "twice", he lost his head but as something went wrong with the script it replayed and had the executioner behead a person with no head. As for the bandit in your example, I don't know what could have happened. I suggest that some finishing move has been written over from one NPC to another for some strange reason, causing the NPC to have no head. Though as I haven't ventured into that area myself, I'm not entirely sure. Do you know what cell this particular foe is in?

On another note, if an NPC happens to be of a race that has had an incompatible armor race written to it, the body goes missing. Let's say you have OrcRace with the armor race TrollFrostRace. The head will show, but the body will not, unless you rewrite skeletons, armor models etc. that is. Though you can fool around with this quite a bit if you enable a certain race to be playable, but it often causes the client to crash. Quite a number of the available races are playable though, and you can have them selectable in the race menu (character editor). It's possible for example to play as a manakin (name shown as Nord by default) and equip armour and weapons. Child versions of the races are available as well, but they can only equip weapons and not armour by default. It's also possible to make hybrid races with these, for example you can make a Skeleton + Female Nord child hybrid where the head is of the girl and the body is of the skeleton. And it works surprisingly well.

That's because the settings are bad for actually playing the game.

On the contrary, I can't even play vanilla skyrim anymore. It just looks too ugly after experiencing Forcewithin's ENB preset (this is coming from a guy who clocked in >200 hours on the 360 version) Although I wouldn't recommend it to anyone without a machine fast enough to handle the mod, the frame drop could interfere with the gameplay.

On the contrary, I can't even play vanilla skyrim anymore. It just looks too ugly after experiencing Forcewithin's ENB preset (this is coming from a guy who clocked in >200 hours on the 360 version) Although I wouldn't recommend it to anyone without a machine fast enough to handle the mod, the frame drop could interfere with the gameplay.

I agree. Playing Skyrim without an ENB preset is unbearable. I play with Enhanced Motion Picture ENB and its perfect, I really don't care for all the other ENB settings

However, I do want to vent that I'm sick of seeing ENB settings on the hot files on the Skyrim Nexus, tired of seeing realistic or performance in the name or description, agh.

Anyways, I'd highly recommend checking out Enhanced Motion Picture ENB, if you want a setting that's true to Skyrim's lighting values.

ACE 1991

Does anyone know of a way to not get input lag from using ENB? Whenever I use it the game feels so sluggish compared to ENB disabled.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Im using the Monster Mod and now all the animals and creature are bouncing up and down(pinball style) on the landscape and I don't know how to stop it. I unchecked Monster Mod and they're still doing it :(

Im using the Monster Mod and now all the animals and creature are bouncing up and down(pinball style) on the landscape and I don't know how to stop it. I unchecked Monster Mod and they're still doing it :(

Wait 31 days to see if the cells reset. Also run BOSS to see fix any conflicts. Out of curiosity are you using Monster Wars or Monster Mod?

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
well, I installed ForceWithing ENB and while it looks great it hits framerate hard even on my GTX 670 2 gig. Any tips on what setting is the most expensive?

also how can I tone down the sun?

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Wait 31 days to see if the cells reset. Also run BOSS to see fix any conflicts. Out of curiosity are you using Monster Wars or Monster Mod?

I'm using the "Monster Mod". Also what is BOSS? And did you experience this issue as well?

I'm using the "Monster Mod". Also what is BOSS? And did you experience this issue as well?

BOSS is a utility for all the Bethesda published RPGs that sort mods in the best possible way to avoid conflict. You can grab it here.
I've been running just Monster Mod and it runs fine. I had some issues with dragons, but I just had the wrong set of files.

Ostinatto

well, I installed ForceWithing ENB and while it looks great it hits framerate hard even on my GTX 670 2 gig. Any tips on what setting is the most expensive?

can youu post your pc specs? i pretend to buy that GPU next week, how many fps do you get?

HooYaH

In the enbseries.ini, Ambient Occlusion=false or see if you can tweak the AO settings to something lower. While ENB looks better, I usually use nvidia's AO since I get annoyed by ENB transparent weapons and water issues and nvidia's AO performs better in my case.

subversus

lol, wtf

why did it set fps limiter to 30 on default? what kind of dumb move is that?

will try again now

subversus

yeah, it was off, I've mistaken the single setting for the global setting.

I'll try Nividia occlusion now.

Also sunshafts make the sun shine through EVERYTHING. Had to turn it off.

subversus

I didn't notice any changes in occlusion and perfomance. Still performs shitty. I turned off DOF and it got to 40 fps or something like that.

This will do but I might try some other ENB settings after that.

I didn't notice any changes in occlusion and perfomance. Still performs shitty. I turned off DOF and it got to 40 fps or something like that.

This will do but I might try some other ENB settings after that.

There's something else wrong here. I run the game on a 560TI 448 and get more or less the same frame rate even with ForceWithin's ENB. What resolution are you running the game at?

Derrick01

Banned
So how is this house building mod, I just noticed it on the workshop and apparently it is/was the 3rd highest rated mod on the nexus (at least he said it was). I guess you have to actually collect supplies to build each part? Or does it go brick by brick? It sounds interesting on paper.

Rösti;40075757 said:
This is fairly common and can happen for many reasons. I've seen it happen on many occasions if an NPC has its race changed; it happens more frequently with NPCs that are of a beast race (bear, elk etc.), also quite common with dragons. It can also happen if some script is interrupted, this can be seen in the execution event in the intro should you input some console command at the right moment. I managed to have one guy beheaded "twice", he lost his head but as something went wrong with the script it replayed and had the executioner behead a person with no head. As for the bandit in your example, I don't know what could have happened. I suggest that some finishing move has been written over from one NPC to another for some strange reason, causing the NPC to have no head. Though as I haven't ventured into that area myself, I'm not entirely sure. Do you know what cell this particular foe is in?

On another note, if an NPC happens to be of a race that has had an incompatible armor race written to it, the body goes missing. Let's say you have OrcRace with the armor race TrollFrostRace. The head will show, but the body will not, unless you rewrite skeletons, armor models etc. that is. Though you can fool around with this quite a bit if you enable a certain race to be playable, but it often causes the client to crash. Quite a number of the available races are playable though, and you can have them selectable in the race menu (character editor). It's possible for example to play as a manakin (name shown as Nord by default) and equip armour and weapons. Child versions of the races are available as well, but they can only equip weapons and not armour by default. It's also possible to make hybrid races with these, for example you can make a Skeleton + Female Nord child hybrid where the head is of the girl and the body is of the skeleton. And it works surprisingly well.

Thanks for the info! It's amazing how much information is involved with each object and how messing up any of it can cause such strange glitches.

I may be slowly working towards fixing it! After reinstalling everything and running BOSS, one of the enemy camps that had a bunch of glitched enemies came back correctly (after I killed all of them and waited for them to respawn). Now I just need to see if I can do it with the rest of the areas affected.

Are there any good mod compilations on the workshop? I don't like using the Nexus Mod Manager.

There aren't any pre-made mod packages, but there is SkyRE that overhauls pretty much the whole game except visual stuff, dragons, and animals. It makes the game a bit harder though.

So how is this house building mod, I just noticed it on the workshop and apparently it is/was the 3rd highest rated mod on the nexus (at least he said it was). I guess you have to actually collect supplies to build each part? Or does it go brick by brick? It sounds interesting on paper.

Are talking this one? Its a good mod if you want the home to grow with your character, but there are better player house. There is stuff on Nexus with auto-sorting and much bigger homes with far more mannequins if that's your thing. If you are dead set on only using the Workshop it seems like one of the best options.

Dmax3901

So what are the best mods that add gameplay? As in dungeons with a cool little story perhaps.

Moonpath to Elsweyr seems to fit the bill but is broken now or something.

ZZMitch

Hey guys, you have probably heard this a million times already but I just got Skyrim in the Steam sale and am looking into some mods to play. I was wondering what you guys would recommend for mods that don't drastically change the game experience but are good add ons to the vanilla game. I am talking about mods that do things like make the interface and map more useful etc or that benefit the game in other ways without changing to much. What do you all recommend?

Dmax3901

Hey guys, you have probably heard this a million times already but I just got Skyrim in the Steam sale and am looking into some mods to play. I was wondering what you guys would recommend for mods that don't drastically change the game experience but are good add ons to the vanilla game. I am talking about mods that do things like make the interface and map more useful etc or that benefit the game in other ways without changing to much. What do you all recommend?

Check out the previous page, there's everything you need.

ZZMitch

Check out the previous page, there's everything you need.

Okay thanks, I just preemptively made that post and am looking through the thread now.

edit: I think I am going to go with SkyUI and the quality world map one for now.

edit2: fuck now my game won't launch. I am so bad at installing mods.

Derrick01

Banned
Ok guys this is probably going to sound really stupid but on the skyrim nexus site how do you use the sorting boxes? When I look at each category I always sort from most endorsements to least but there's seemingly no way to refresh the search after selecting that option. The whole site seems to be formatted weird in Chrome for me, like I can see words or buttons placed behind other sections. I ran into this months ago but since Steam workshop was there I just went to that. I assume the mod situation is much better on nexus still.

Ok guys this is probably going to sound really stupid but on the skyrim nexus site how do you use the sorting boxes? When I look at each category I always sort from most endorsements to least but there's seemingly no way to refresh the search after selecting that option. The whole site seems to be formatted weird in Chrome for me, like I can see words or buttons placed behind other sections. I ran into this months ago but since Steam workshop was there I just went to that. I assume the mod situation is much better on nexus still.

The "GO" Button to the right of the drop down menu?

Top Bottom