• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Watch Series 1&2 |OT| Better, Wetter

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Yeah i've connected it to my phone. But i thought you can turn use Wifi from home so i can leave my phone in a different room and still receive notifications from the watch?

Also, anyone recommend some good cheap wristbands to order?

Yes - even if you turn your phone off the watch should still receive notifications if it is connected to a known wifi

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Meh. The gps version only comes with a sport band. I want the sport loop (which comes with LTE only). So the watch is $70 less but I have to pay $50 for the band I want so it is only 20 cheaper to get gps only.

Edit:I would t mind springing for the LTE. Hardware wise the upcharge is not crazy. But I refuse to pay 10$ a month to ATT for that ish. Should be 3-5 dollars.

j-wood

I'm thinking about selling my series 1 and getting the series 3. Is there still a market for those, or are they pretty much non existent on the resale market now?

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
I'm thinking about selling my series 1 and getting the series 3. Is there still a market for those, or are they pretty much non existent on the resale market now?
The series 1 is continuing to be sold along with the 3 I think. Should be okay but not great.

What finish / size?

So the Siri complication is awesome. Mostly because it actually updates. All the Apple ones do

3rd party complications don’t seem to update well. I’ve had a dark sky face for the longest time. It will show me weather from yesterday while the Siri one accurately shows today. If I open dark sky app on watch or phone.... then it will update the complication. But that workflow sucks

Are all 3rd party apps like this? I feel like removing them all from my faces besides launch shortcuts and going only with Apple complications

Do you have Dark Sky in the dock of your Watch? I use Carrot Weather and they suggest putting it in the dock because that allows the complication to update more frequently.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

Apple are still selling them which helps resale as they are still 'active' devices. But even series 0 should have some resale value - there is a floor you can’t easily drop below for tech like this - I’d think you’d get £100 for any series 0 in good condition (hoping to get £150-200 for my SS)

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
Ah, got guided here from the OS thread. So yeah – Apple Watch.

Haven't bought one before due to short battery life, but even so I'm thinking about getting one now. I don't need one, but I'm always curious about tech and shit. They don't sell the cellular version here though, so it'd have to be the basic version then. Also, 38 vs 42, any suggestions?

You guys got a great opportunity to have me either spend 400 bucks or not here! :)

pbsapeer

Banned

Haven't bought one before due to short battery life, but even so I'm thinking about getting one now. I don't need one, but I'm always curious about tech and shit. They don't sell the cellular version here though, so it'd have to be the basic version then. Also, 38 vs 42, any suggestions?

You guys got a great opportunity to have me either spend 400 bucks or not here! :)
Get the 42mm. It's a much better choice. I have small wrists but it doesn't look mad out of place or anything.
I have the S2 and it's great. Just get a S3 42mm 😃

jts

...hate me...
Stand reminders not working in watchOS 4 (series 0) even after turning the setting off and on again. Ugh.

Gonna try and see if a reboot fixes it.

Quonny

Update is worth it alone so that if you’re playing music and tilt to see your watch it auto starts on the Now Playing screen.

Camoxide

Unconfirmed Member
I'm trying to buy a used Series 1 off eBay but everyone is listing their first generation watch (series 0) as a series 1 :(.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Watching YouTube on the chrome cast and the watch automatically puts up pause controls. Not bad.

mrkgoo

Short battery life meaning....?

My watch easily gets a day of charge probably even more if I ever bothered checking, but since I charge my phone on my night stand over night may as well do my watch Too. I think I only came close to running out ignore power like once or twice and that was in older operating systems.

The watch is great and has changed the way I use my phone. Driving and cycling I can still message and glance at notifications. I can quickly message and add items to my perpetual shopping list without dropping a beat to what I'm currently doing (being caregiver of a toddler I don't always have the time or hands free to pull out a phone).

The fitness aspects have garnered more focus and are excellent. Whenever I do long walks and cycle rides, I can now keep track of activity, distance etc. just as a pedometer or health awareness piece of tech it is fun.

On top of that has some cool little nifty things like a remote for Apple TV, controller for your music, and craziest of all - it can tell the time!

One of my biggest features I use is just the weather complication - one glance and I can see the temperature and weather info isn just a glance away. I love it.

I have the 38mm because I didn't want a big watch (and any affordability was better for me). But ultimately it's a preference thing.

My personal advice if you do get one is get a nightstand charger that you can just plonk it down with. I love the night stand mode too, and my watch has become my main night stand time keeper.

So my watch and iPhone no longer connect to one another via WiFi. They have to be within distance of each other to connect. That means I can't leave my phone in my office to charge and get notifications or any connection on my watch on the opposite side of my house. This just started with the new OSes on the iPhone and Watch.

So my watch and iPhone no longer connect to one another via WiFi. They have to be within distance of each other to connect. That means I can't leave my phone in my office to charge and get notifications or any connection on my watch on the opposite side of my house. This just started with the new OSes on the iPhone and Watch.

When you’re out of range of your phone, when you open the control center on the watch does it show WiFi connection at all?

Vuze

Try this, I’ve had this issue when I got my watch and this procedure fixed it: https://youtu.be/rU_4ddxKUb0

mrklaw

MrArseFace

Mine does. OS4, series 3. If you are connected to your phone and swipe up, you get a little green phone icon. If you turn your phone off (just did it), you get a blue wifi icon in the top left corner of the control centre. This assumes you are in a known wifi area so your watch will connect to it.

Try this, I’ve had this issue when I got my watch and this procedure fixed it: https://youtu.be/rU_4ddxKUb0

Mine does. OS4, series 3. If you are connected to your phone and swipe up, you get a little green phone icon. If you turn your phone off (just did it), you get a blue wifi icon in the top left corner of the control centre. This assumes you are in a known wifi area so your watch will connect to it.
I’ll try this stuff tomorrow. Thanks for the suggestions. Much easier than doing a full restore.

mrkgoo

My iPhone 5 and watch 0 has always done that occasionally and especially when I restart my phone.

What fixes it for me is forgetting the wifi network on my phone and rejoining. Don't know if that will help, but it's worth a try.

Hopefully like the phone where apps just open. It’s still a touch disappointing that there’s even a loading indicator still on the new Watches.

Agreed. As I stated in the preorder thread, Series 3 is 85% there performance-wise, but I expect it to be another two years before it gets to the point where you're not thinking about performance anymore.

jiiikoo

Banned
9250058.jpg
Just got my first Apple Watch, the series 3 and god I'm in love. Such a beautiful piece of wearable.

One question though, how do you guys feel about taking your watches into the shower with you?

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Got a Series 3 space gray with gray band. Like it so far but the sport band is a little too sweaty for me.

They didn’t have any sport loop bands in stock unfortunately.

This is my first Apple Watch and my first watch in 10+ years. I always stop wearing them after a week. If this one is the same I’ll take it back.

pbsapeer

Banned
Just got my first Apple Watch, the series 3 and god I'm in love. Such a beautiful piece of wearable.

One question though, how do you guys feel about taking your watches into the shower with you?
I generally take it in with me once a week when I've been running. If I don't I find the sweat makes my digital crown spin with a bit of resistance. I'm always very cautious that the speaker will stop working and leak into the internals of the watch so I try to avoid everything except water in the shower.

I took my Series 0 into the shower every once in a while and it wasn’t even water resistant. Never had an issue. Even took it in some baths. Now I’m on a Series 3 and will do it tons.

DonShula

Does anyone have any tips for moving from a Fitbit to an Apple Watch in terms of apps I will need to add? I would still like to do calorie counting (which I assume most use MyFitnessPal for) and need some sort of sleep tracking, unless the Health app handles that now. What else?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Got a Series 3 space gray with gray band. Like it so far but the sport band is a little too sweaty for me.

They didn’t have any sport loop bands in stock unfortunately.

This is my first Apple Watch and my first watch in 10+ years. I always stop wearing them after a week. If this one is the same I’ll take it back.

Try to stick it out for a while - some of the behaviours it encourages can take time to bed in.

I just want to note that I've been using my Series 3 watch for about 3 hours and have only lost 3% on battery life which is kind of insane.

Used it for Music this morning and have received about 15 notifications on it.

Not bad.

My Series 0 would be about 85-90% by now.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I just want to note that I've been using my Series 3 watch for about 3 hours and have only lost 3% on battery life which is kind of insane.

Used it for Music this morning and have received about 15 notifications on it.

Not bad.

My Series 0 would be about 85-90% by now.

I took mine off the charger this morning at 6am. When I got home and took it off at around 7:30pm, my battery was at 83%. My series 0 would have been around 2t%. No workouts or app usage - just activity tracking and notifications so it was a light day

Vuze

I just noticed all my watch achievements are gone after I switched phones. What the fuck Apple. I did exactly as described on their support site and my activity data is still present as well. Really more annoyed than I should be tbh but I got a consecutive streak dating back to February and some of the timed event achievements too :/

E: jfc, apparently you need to re-authenticate every app that you want to incorporate in HealthKit after switching phones. Not a single app - nor iOS - warned me it can’t write anymore. But if I flip the switch in the app back and forth it is clearly stated HealthKit can’t be accessed. Lost my workouts and all other records for the past days. Just great.

E: not holding my breath but others have reported the data eventually caught up. But it’s been three days now so I have my doubt. Atleast my scale and other data (sans workouts) was retroactively added to Health after I re-authenticated the apps.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Does all your heartbeat data get transferred over? I'd be real sad to lose all of that. I like being able to see what my heart was doing 2 years ago at this moment etc.

I took mine off the charger this morning at 6am. When I got home and took it off at around 7:30pm, my battery was at 83%. My series 0 would have been around 2t%. No workouts or app usage - just activity tracking and notifications so it was a light day

Insane. I may be able to get 2 days out of the Watch now. So stoked!

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Try to stick it out for a while - some of the behaviours it encourages can take time to bed in.
Yeah, I’m hoping itmcourages me to
a) look at my phone less
b) walk/ do light activity more frequently.

I’m scared to keep it past the return period though since I normally end up ditching a regular watch within a month😬

Agreed. As I stated in the preorder thread, Series 3 is 85% there performance-wise, but I expect it to be another two years before it gets to the point where you're not thinking about performance anymore.

It's in an exciting place, Apple knows what they want to do with it and consumers have actually (finally) realised what it's for. The design language feels fully evolved (the OS4 emphasis on vertical scrolling), performance and battery are good, HealthKit progress is truly exciting, LTE, GPS and WR are now on-board. It's definitely almost there.
I'd imagine a redesign will come in the next two years.

I just noticed all my watch achievements are gone after I switched phones. What the fuck Apple. I did exactly as described on their support site and my activity data is still present as well. Really more annoyed than I should be tbh but I got a consecutive streak dating back to February and some of the timed event achievements too :/

E: jfc, apparently you need to re-authenticate every app that you want to incorporate in HealthKit after switching phones. Not a single app - nor iOS - warned me it can't write anymore. But if I flip the switch in the app back and forth it is clearly stated HealthKit can't be accessed. Lost my workouts and all other records for the past days. Just great.

...on a similar note I did my first ever marathon yesterday. Right as I finished I raised my wrist to end the workout and in that instant my Watch went into power reserve. When I turned it back on the workout wasn't there. I lost 26 miles of progress and all related awards. It was on my 365th consecutive day too :lol

Yeah, still getting less battery life on my series 2 since updating. Used to be able to go two days without recharging, now only getting a day and a half.

jts

...hate me...
Interesting. With the end of Series 2, people in my country only have the chance to buy aluminum Apple Watches.

I think it’s the same in every country without Apple Watch with LTE. They sell Series 3 and Series 1, but only in aluminum. If I wanted, I couldn’t get a SS anymore. Weird.

Interesting. With the end of Series 2, people in my country only have the chance to buy aluminum Apple Watches.

I think it’s the same in every country without Apple Watch with LTE. They sell Series 3 and Series 1, but only in aluminum. If I wanted, I couldn’t get a SS anymore. Weird.

Yeah. I bought the first Apple Watch and always wanted an aluminum one, but kept holding out. I won't buy an LTE version but my boss at work did, so he sold me his series 2 stainless for cheap. Can't complain.

First time Apple Watch owner here, a day in, really not enjoying it. Tons of crashes on the watch and iOS 11 in the first day. At Bat and Instagram in particular; have never gotten Instagram to work. As a HUGE Pebble fan this is a gigantic adjustment, as the design is a ridiculous kludge. Still not sure when to swipe, tap, force touch, hid the side button, home button, spin the crown, etc. Doesn't feel like this was designed by an Apple led by Steve Jobs. I have next-to-no interest in fitness tracking (I work out a lot, don't need a device prodding me) so I'm failing to see the benefits of this device. The Pebble did a few things but it did them all well. One thing I WAS looking forward to was being able to navigate my iPhone music library on my watch so that I could select artists and albums to play through my wired headphones... Today I found out they removed that feature in Watch OS 4.

Day 1 has not been pleasant, and I'm strongly considering returning the watch. The amount of functionality is nice but crashes, removed functionality, a focus on fitness, and a battery that lasts a day or so really hurts. The new Fitbit incorporating Pebble functionality looks like a disaster, so I guess these devices are simply not for me. I just want the Pebble Time 2 I ordered!

SuperPac

First time Apple Watch owner here, a day in, really not enjoying it. Tons of crashes on the watch and iOS 11 in the first day. At Bat and Instagram in particular; have never gotten Instagram to work. As a HUGE Pebble fan this is a gigantic adjustment, as the design is a ridiculous kludge. Still not sure when to swipe, tap, force touch, hid the side button, home button, spin the crown, etc. Doesn't feel like this was designed by an Apple led by Steve Jobs. I have next-to-no interest in fitness tracking (I work out a lot, don't need a device prodding me) so I'm failing to see the benefits of this device. The Pebble did a few things but it did them all well. One thing I WAS looking forward to was being able to navigate my iPhone music library on my watch so that I could select artists and albums to play through my wired headphones... Today I found out they removed that feature in Watch OS 4.

Day 1 has not been pleasant, and I'm strongly considering returning the watch. The amount of functionality is nice but crashes, removed functionality, a focus on fitness, and a battery that lasts a day or so really hurts. The new Fitbit incorporating Pebble functionality looks like a disaster, so I guess these devices are simply not for me. I just want the Pebble Time 2 I ordered!

The crashes I can't really explain. Give it a day or two - usually that type of thing shakes out and I have heard a few S3 owners had initial jitters and problems.

Having been an Apple Watch owner since nearly Day 1 of the product's life, I will say that the device's strengths lie mostly in four places: fitness, navigation, notifications and very quick triage tasks or information glancing. Things like browsing Instagram/Twitter/Facebook or scrolling through your entire music library on the watch are not the things the Apple Watch is good at - and may *never* be good at. While the Watch has LTE now, it's still my opinion that the Apple Watch isn't an iPhone replacement.

When the watch debuted, app developers did a lot of ambitious and stupid things - almost none of which worked out or were good (like an Instagram client). Watch OS 2 fixed some of the initial issues but by that point a lot of app developers had moved on. Same with OS3 and now 4 - there are few developers still actively doing things on the Watch and those that are have really cut down on what they're trying to get the device to do and remove a lot of extra interface that was really just cruft.

I have a dozen apps on my watch and I still use it mostly to get notifications and to control music/podcast playback (just play/pause/skip not browsing a large library). For me, those functions have been transformative and means my phone does not need to be permanently attached to my right hand.

mrkgoo

The crashes I can't really explain. Give it a day or two - usually that type of thing shakes out and I have heard a few S3 owners had initial jitters and problems.

Having been an Apple Watch owner since nearly Day 1 of the product's life, I will say that the device's strengths lie mostly in four places: fitness, navigation, notifications and very quick triage tasks or information glancing. Things like browsing Instagram/Twitter/Facebook or scrolling through your entire music library on the watch are not the things the Apple Watch is good at - and may *never* be good at. While the Watch has LTE now, it's still my opinion that the Apple Watch isn't an iPhone replacement.

When the watch debuted, app developers did a lot of ambitious and stupid things - almost none of which worked out or were good (like an Instagram client). Watch OS 2 fixed some of the initial issues but by that point a lot of app developers had moved on. Same with OS3 and now 4 - there are few developers still actively doing things on the Watch and those that are have really cut down on what they're trying to get the device to do and remove a lot of extra interface that was really just cruft.

I have a dozen apps on my watch and I still use it mostly to get notifications and to control music/podcast playback (just play/pause/skip not browsing a large library). For me, those functions have been transformative and means my phone does not need to be permanently attached to my right hand.

Agreed with all of this.

The initial watch launch, they didn't have a focus. They tightened that up with watch OS 3. Lol before 3 they had a dedicated button for accessing your contacts as if messaging or calling was the primary focus. Never used it.

I actually only have two apps installed on my watch. One I don't actually use but I like to have there (a calculator lol).

For me, it's just getting notifications that I can ignore without having to use my phone and to do some basic tasks while largely hands free (Siri messaging, adding to a shopping list), and some basic glance info such as weather forecast and time.

I actually really like the fitness stuff, although I've turned a lot of the reminders for it off. I just like to activate the workout app when I go for walks and rides.

The OS was quite different before 3. I can say for 4 because I can't update.

japtor

Anyone? Also, do we know if Sport Loop is waterproof?
Not sure when knockoffs will come out but I guess just keep searching the usual shopping websites (Amazon/eBay) and AliExpress, I imagine they’ll show up earliest on there. I have a gift card at Best Buy so I might just pick up a real one if I get impatient enough, once they show up in stock there at least.

Not 100% sure but I think they’re supposed to be waterproof. They'll still absorb water and take time to dry out (like whatever other fabric), but I guess the exposure shouldn’t damage them or anything long term. I saw a comment somewhere comparing them to something like Velcro dive or surfboard straps. I’m kinda worried about them absorbing sweat and stinking or discoloring after a while but just washing them out (or showering with it?) after workouts should take care of that in theory.

Top Bottom