• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2017 Regular Season OT - 108 years in the making

Status
Not open for further replies.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
uhhh

aC6l4nh.jpg

https://twitter.com/NatsSquid/status/912070835099324418

gg, MarinersGAF

holy shit @ these Indians about to break the 95 Indians club wins record. that team was godtier. are we really that good?

I'm going to have to look at those 95 stats because I know they were insane too.

I just meant Joe has no excuse to start Lackey over Quintana in the post season which I'm worried about.

i see no reason to think there was ever any chance of that happening. is this because lackey kept his spot in the rotation throughout all this year? they had to do that because of lack in the depth of in the rotation, and more recently, because they need montgomery in the pen more than the rotation. lackey basically kept his spot in the rotation by refusing to go to the bullpen.

tr4nce 26

Banned
Was at the game today, it was simply electrifying inside the building when JD had his walk off hit. I'm going to secure my wild card ticket tomorrow when they go on sale.

rekameohs

Banned
he has 27 home runs just with the dbacks, what the fuck. that's probably one of the most impacful in-season acquisitions of all time, and they got him for peanuts.
Yeah, Manny’s insane run with the Dodgers got him 4th place in the NL MVP voting in 2008, but JD has eclipsed even some of those numbers. Home runs especially.

Mrbob

i see no reason to think there was ever any chance of that happening. is this because lackey kept his spot in the rotation throughout all this year? they had to do that because of lack in the depth of in the rotation, and more recently, because they need montgomery in the pen more than the rotation. lackey basically kept his spot in the rotation by refusing to go to the bullpen.

Unfortunately it still seems a talking point..

http://www.nbcchicago.com/news/loca...a-lackey-cubs-playoff-rotation-447202123.html

Lackey could barely last 5 innings in last years playoffs. I'd rather roll the dice with Quintana. Though if Lester doesn't stop sucking it won't matter anyway. The Cubs aren't repeating with post all star break 5.11 era Jon Lester. As good as the offense was last year the starting pitching locked down many games in the playoffs.

gamz

Unfortunately it still seems a talking point..

http://www.nbcchicago.com/news/loca...a-lackey-cubs-playoff-rotation-447202123.html

Lackey could barely last 5 innings in last years playoffs. I'd rather roll the dice why Quintana. Though if Lester doesn't stop sucking it won't matter anyway. The Cubs aren't repeating with post all star break 5.11 era Jon Lester. As good as the offense was last year the starting pitching locked down many games in the playoffs.

Huge start for Lester today. Hopefully he rights the ship.

But we still got Jake, Q, and Hendricks.

zulux21

Huge start for Lester today. Hopefully he rights the ship.

But we still got Jake, Q, and Hendricks.

personally I am rooting for Q to throw a perfect game, and the cubs to lose the series 3-1 with the other 3 games being complete blow outs :3.

that being said, it's not like I didn't say around the all star break that I expected the cubs to come to life in the second half, take the division, and then go crazy in the playoffs :p

gamz

personally I am rooting for Q to throw a perfect game, and the cubs to lose the series 3-1 with the other 3 games being complete blow outs :3.

that being said, it's not like I didn't say around the all star break that I expected the cubs to come to life in the second half, take the division, and then go crazy in the playoffs :p

I don't think I like you.

zulux21

I don't think I like you.

I mean, it's only the natural state of things for a cubs fan to not like a white sox fan :p

personally I am still hoping for the brewers to make the playoffs, but as it stands I am hoping for a nats vs astros world series.

But I have at least players to root for on most playoff teams this year given how many players the white sox traded in the last year lol.

To be fair he's at least letting the Cubs win the Divisional series.

hmm?
3-1 would imply a best of 5 series.
did they change the divisional to a best of 3?

Friggz

Now that the season is close to over who does everyone have for awards.

AL CY - Kluber
AL ROY - Judge
AL MVP - Judge

NL CY - Scherzer
NL ROY - Bellinger
NL MVP - I have no idea.

WHoever has ROY voting this year has it easy, the other awards i think are a little more difficult, and really might come down to the last 7 games.

zulux21

AL CY - Kluber
AL ROY - Judge
AL MVP - Judge

NL CY - Scherzer
NL ROY - Bellinger
NL MVP - I have no idea.

WHoever has ROY voting this year has it easy, the other awards i think are a little more difficult, and really might come down to the last 7 games.

AL MVP still should easily be altuve unless judge manages to hit like 10 more home runs in the last 7 games.
as for AL CY I wouldn't be surprised if sale got it instead, but it should be Kluber. Sale needs a number 2 to complete his set before getting 1 anyways as he already has a 6,5,4,3 placement in cy young :p granted he has two 5s but still lol.

for NL Cy it will be close between scherzer and Kershaw.

no idea on the NL MVP. Stanton would be a decent choice if he was on a winning team but being on a losing team will likely keep him out of the running from some older voters.

Friggz

AL MVP still should easily be altuve unless judge manages to hit like 10 more home runs in the last 7 games.
as for AL CY I wouldn't be surprised if sale got it instead, but it should be Kluber. Sale needs a number 2 to complete his set before getting 1 anyways as he already has a 6,5,4,3 placement in cy young :p granted he has two 5s but still lol.

for NL Cy it will be close between scherzer and Kershaw.

no idea on the NL MVP. Stanton would be a decent choice if he was on a winning team but being on a losing team will likely keep him out of the running from some older voters.

i dont think its easily altuve, they are both sitting at 7.3 war and if judge breaks the rookie hr record he has the narrative going for him. -right or wrong, who knows- altuve has also slowed down a bit this month "only" hitting 297 and posting a 400 on base. i think the al mvp comes down to the last week of the season.

mjp2417

Banned

AL CY - Kluber
AL ROY - Judge
AL MVP - Judge

NL CY - Scherzer
NL ROY - Bellinger
NL MVP - I have no idea.

AL CY: Kluber
AL MVP: Altuve
AL ROY: Judge

NL CY: Scherzer
NL MVP: Stanton
NL ROY: Bellinger

I just have this nagging feeling Kluber is gonna get shafted.

I mean, Sale is definitely deserving too, but that time Kluber missed, I think that may come back to haunt him. Hope I'm wrong.

mjp2417

Banned
It would be a clearly deserving choice.

And so would Altuve.

I don't see it even if he has an absolutely monster final week. The one award that I do think really comes down to the final week is NL CY especially with how up and down Scherzer and Kershaw have been recently. One gets shelled and the other has a strong outing and that tips the scales either way.

Malo

Banned
If Judge gets MVP over Altuve....
It would be a perfectly reasonable choice. Both are at 7.3 fWAR with Judge having a slight lead in wRC+ (161 for Altuve and 167 for Judge).

I think Altuve wins because the narrative will be that Judge struggled in the second half, (he only had one bad month, which was August) and Altuve was consistent all season.

Cubs won last year, the Indians will win the WS this year.

And then the recipe for the end times will be complete and we'll all be turned to glass.

clemenx

Banned
Judge is equally deserving, Altuve will probably get it thanks to being 2nd last year as well. Judge will have his ROY as consolation.

I'd give NL to Goldschimdt or Arenado. but it's real close with Stanton as well and even Votto. Anyone will be a good choice.

zulux21

Cubs won last year, the Indians will win the WS this year.

And then the recipe for the end times will be complete and we'll all be turned to glass.

nah indians are likely going to be the 2001 Seattle team.

impressive amount of wins, and then just a quick streak of losses to end their season.

jman2050

It would be a perfectly reasonable choice. Both are at 7.3 fWAR with Judge having a slight lead in wRC+ (161 for Altuve and 167 for Judge).

I think Altuve wins because the narrative will be that Judge struggled in the second half, (he only had one bad month, which was August) and Altuve was consistent all season.

I'm hesitant to say which way it will go cause the "narrative" argument behind predicting MVP voting doesn't carry nearly as much weight as it used to. If it did Betts would have run away with the award last season.

Heck I wouldn't be surprised if Trout sneaks in a win this year with the season he had despite being injured.

Watching this guy...I don't even know what to compare it to. Judge has just been so much better than expected. And he could theoretically be even better than this as he gets more time in the Majors?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom