• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PhillyGAF |OT|

Holy fuck if your car has low profile tires avoid 76-W out of the city right now. There are more than a few sections where they've ground down the road surface but didn't create any smooth transition from old road to rough surface. I thought the front of my car exploded earlier but thankfully I somehow seem to be ok.

There's no real warning for them either, and of course some prick was right up my butthole so I had no time to do anything about it. So heads up!

Holy fuck if your car has low profile tires avoid 76-W out of the city right now. There are more than a few sections where they've ground down the road surface but didn't create any smooth transition from old road to rough surface. I thought the front of my car exploded earlier but thankfully I somehow seem to be ok.

There's no real warning for them either, and of course some prick was right up my butthole so I had no time to do anything about it. So heads up!

We're supplying the asphalt for that job out of my plant in Plymouth Meeting. It's going to be going on until October.

Fill this out
https://customercare.penndot.gov/

If enough people complain they'll actually listen in my experience. Make it a safety issue and use your personal email, not a work one

So my wife is on board with moving back to philly now. The school district in Nevada has made a bunch of anti-teacher moves lately so she wants to teach in Philly now. This is the best news I could ever get in life because I want my kids to grow up in Philly, better schools and family and stuff to do. I have a masters in physics and 10 years of teaching experience. I cannot get hired by the philly school district though so I am looking at charter schools. Does anyone know if there are charter schools in the philly area that are good to work for? I am looking for decent pay and benefits. Health insurance and retirement are key. My number one goal would be to find a non-teaching job but I have no idea how to go about that. I try searches from time to time but it mostly seems that physics jobs that are not teaching, want tons of experience or PHDs.

Deku Tree

So my wife is on board with moving back to philly now. The school district in Nevada has made a bunch of anti-teacher moves lately so she wants to teach in Philly now. This is the best news I could ever get in life because I want my kids to grow up in Philly, better schools and family and stuff to do. I have a masters in physics and 10 years of teaching experience. I cannot get hired by the philly school district though so I am looking at charter schools. Does anyone know if there are charter schools in the philly area that are good to work for? I am looking for decent pay and benefits. Health insurance and retirement are key. My number one goal would be to find a non-teaching job but I have no idea how to go about that. I try searches from time to time but it mostly seems that physics jobs that are not teaching, want tons of experience or PHDs.

Honestly there are so many Charter schools now you just have to get out there and apply and do your research. A lot of good ones and also bad ones.

You are not going to get into PSERS retirement anymore unfortunately. No Charter school is going to offer it to you anymore, and even the state has been passing laws this year to roll back the guaranteed benefits and make you more reliant on what happens in the market for new hires.

Health Insurance is required by law to be the same as the district. The district teachers just signed a new contract and they agreed to pay health insurance contributions so then you will also have to pay I'm sure.

http://www.phillymag.com/news/2017/06/20/teachers-approve-contract-philly-schools/

EDIT: Out of classroom jobs are hard to come by without (a) some kind of administrative degree and/or (b) administrative or out of classroom experience and maybe also a previous relationship with the people hiring you.

Hey, glad to hear your wife is on board now.

You can find all Pennsylvania public school teacher listings here

I would also check out UPenn jobs because they are the largest employer in the city and have tons of fields they hire for.

Why do they want to remove the Frank Rizzo statues? What did he do? I honestly don't know the history.

Yeah he was a bit of a dick so I get their motivation.

I'd rather the city did a shitton more stuff like this: Philly's first public sculpture honoring an individual African American will be unveiled next month

Yankee I would also look at schools just outside the city for jobs as well. There are a lot of places where you can live in the city and commute to the suburbs for work pretty easily. If there's a place that you see that looks promising feel free to post and we can give you an idea of how long the commute would be.

Yankee I would also look at schools just outside the city for jobs as well. There are a lot of places where you can live in the city and commute to the suburbs for work pretty easily. If there's a place that you see that looks promising feel free to post and we can give you an idea of how long the commute would be.

Thank you so much. I contacted Master Charter today since the little I have read about them seems great but for some odd reason they don't seem to have any employment info like benefits or salary on their site. My number one dream in life would be to work for the Neshaminy school district. My mom still lives in Langhorne and that is where I went to school, but sadly they never have any openings.

Deku Tree

Mastery pays well, in some cases better than the district, but they have high expectations for their employees and their students. Pay can also be performance based.

Mastery pays well, in some cases better than the district, but they have high expectations for their employees and their students. Pay can also be performance based.

I am fine with that. I taught a high school class for college credit in Vegas, and I currently teach at the number 2 school in the state. While I was in Philly I taught at one of the top schools there as well.

Holy shit someone was just shot and killed a block away from me and fits the description of a friend and neighbor. I'm praying hard right now.

Edit:

New details pretty much confirm it. Name not released so I'm still praying and for the sake of privacy I won't use names.

vypek

Saw a couple news stories about this just now. Really terrible what happened. I feel really bad for his friends and family. Tragic and senseless violence.

I was told that over 2000 people showed up at Gerry's funeral yesterday. The crowd was massive so I don't doubt it. I caught up with some people at the wake at Bar Hygge after I got done work. I guess it's time to move on from this tragedy. I still kinda want some answers from the DAs office though.

Aurizen

Hey guys, been a while since I checked in on here. Recently did a Seasonal IT job. That was fun. Trying to find a permanent IT job... Thats been fun lol. Is the City hiring lol.

Rainy

Banned
Anyone ever been to a Philadelphia Union game? It's in Chester right? Is there a good way to take public transportation there?

ruxtpin

Banned
Recently moved down to Old City. This past weekend was brutal. Did a 5k at the Navy Yard and they waited until after 11am to get it started.

New apt is fun tho. Love the area.

So I live pretty much in "the hood" so there's not much positive i can say about this city right now

Feels like the real life version of "The Wire" to be honest.

Yes, I'm afraid to leave the house after dark.

Anyone ever been to a Philadelphia Union game? It's in Chester right? Is there a good way to take public transportation there?

You can take the Wilmington line to Chester and take a bus I believe.

Recently moved down to Old City. This past weekend was brutal. Did a 5k at the Navy Yard and they waited until after 11am to get it started.

New apt is fun tho. Love the area.

Old city is a fun area, and gorgeous. I love walking through all of the small alleys and paths in Society Hill too.

So I live pretty much in "the hood" so there's not much positive i can say about this city right now

Feels like the real life version of "The Wire" to be honest.

Yes, I'm afraid to leave the house after dark.

Which hood? There are only a few areas in the city that I feel are that bad.

1eMzwpo.jpg

The city just put up this beauty. What a great looking statue and frankly it's taken too long to get a statue of this nature up.

Aurizen

You can take the Wilmington line to Chester and take a bus I believe.

Old city is a fun area, and gorgeous. I love walking through all of the small alleys and paths in Society Hill too.

Which hood? There are only a few areas in the city that I feel are that bad.

1eMzwpo.jpg

The city just put up this beauty. What a great looking statue and frankly it's taken too long to get a statue of this nature up.

That statue looks amazing! It is about time! And if you guys wanna talk about hoods... I'm around 41st and Lancaster... Not really a good area.

That statue looks amazing! It is about time! And if you guys wanna talk about hoods... I'm around 41st and Lancaster... Not really a good area.

South West Sir
Heard gunshots last night.
:(

Oh yeah both of those are rough spots. Still, crime is still going down in the city overall so things are getting a bit safer at least.

Also, Philly job growth beat out NYC last year, which is pretty awesome. We need to get the unemployment rate for minorities down more than anything though.

Top Bottom