• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2017 |OT| More streaming services than shows to watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thud

I watched Nausicaa after I read the entire manga series, and I was pretty disappointed at the time. Looking back, my expectations were way too high and it made no sense that one movie could cover much of the manga at all, but it was like watching the first Lord of the Rings movie then being told that there was never going to be another movie again (though I guess the actual anime equivalent is a fan of the manga Akira watching the movie version and reeling about how much wasn't in there). Princess Mononoke on the other hand came out of nowhere for me, and I appreciate its scale vs. Nausicaa's relative lack of complexity.

I didn't really even like Nausicaa that much until my friend from college and I watched the dub randomly on TV and I got to see how good it was through him. Still think Laputa is incredibly overrated, but watcha gonna do.

The best way is watching the anime and then reading the manga like I did :p.

As for Miyazaki films. He uses a lot of the same themes. Nausicaa has this template of how ghibli heroines should be. With Laputa he added the supporting role of a boy. After watching through all of the ghibli films, I still like his early work the best (Nausicaa, Laputa, Totoro). Also Lupin III: Castle of Cagliostro and Future Boy Conan. Stuff like Porco Rosso and in a lesser degree The Wind Rises I can also really appreciate.

Nowadays I tend to sway more into Takahata's work.

Thud

OPM was mostly decent looking with bursts of sakuga that lasted quite a long time so I'm not super worried

if it was Mob Psycho I'd cry

Also - Maybe OPM starts to seriously drag after where S1 ended? Maybe this is what the material deserves now

Nope. Great stuff awaits after S1.

blurr

Kemono Friends was FUN while it lasted.

Will season 2 be just as good despite the staff change? maybe, maybe not but there's no denying what happened to Tatsuki is terrible. It brings the potential quality of the show into question and indirectly denies what charmed the fans. Shows how little Kadokawa understands about it. No surprises if a company wants to milk it but this is a terrible way to handle it.

DNAbro

I imagine the inferior series will be safe given that Bones did Mob Psycho :p (granted season 2 of OPM was likely going to be inferior to season 1 anyways and mob was getting better in the second half so a season 2 will likely be stronger than the first :p)

they actually do season 2s and will likely do Mob Psycho season 2 at some point, though I am still waiting for soul eater brotherhood or ouran high school host club season 2 :(

doesn't matter much to me as long as they keep doing MHA :p

The stuff they would cover in Mob S2 would be amazing.

Firemind

I can't remember any awesome Sakuga action that J.C.Staff ever produced.
Hayate the Combat Butler

oda_hayate.gif

jman2050

Kemono Friends was FUN while it lasted.

Will season 2 be just as good despite the staff change? maybe, maybe not but there's no denying what happened to Tatsuki is terrible. It brings the potential quality of the show into question and indirectly denies what charmed the fans. Shows how little Kadokawa understands about it. No surprises if a company wants to milk it but this is a terrible way to handle it.

I mean this isn't a case where you have a bunch of hands in the pie and the director is just a guy trying to internalize the work of many different people into a singular vision, the director of Kemono Friends literally made the entire show almost by himself. And this is a show that was sent to die and completely written off by everyone else involved.

This is less Konami axing Kojima and more like, say, if Sony wanted to bankroll a sequel to Undertale for some reason and decided to kick Toby Fox off the project.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
When One Punch Man was first announced, it was coming from the studio that brought us Parasyte and Highschool of the Dead. Rightfully, many were worried. In the end, it turned out reasonable.

We now have One Punch Man coming from the studio that brought us the likes of Amanchu, Azumanga, Flying Witch and Kill Me Baby. Basically a studio known for greatness. There's literally no reason to be worried.

Jarmel

Banned
Supposedly it's the director's birthday too. Dude got fired on his birthday.

Girlish Number was too positive. The true Japari Park is the industry itself.

phaze

I can't remember any awesome Sakuga action that J.C.Staff ever produced.

Didn't Nozomu Abe work on Index/Railgun ? I'd imagine he put in a shift as per usual.

Kakegurui 02-05

Sort of enjoying this. The card stuff themselves are pretty rote with Yumeko being the Oniisama of gambling but her entire demeanor is a treasure, it's mostly the right kind of edgy and the faces, on top of niceand detailed chara design, are pretty good.

blurr

I mean this isn't a case where you have a bunch of hands in the pie and the director is just a guy trying to internalize the work of many different people into a singular vision, the director of Kemono Friends literally made the entire show almost by himself. And this is a show that was sent to die and completely written off by everyone else involved.

This is less Konami axing Kojima and more like, say, if Sony wanted to bankroll a sequel to Undertale for some reason and decided to kick Toby Fox off the project.

This news keeps getting worse and worse the more I hear about it. To be fair, I was considering the best case scenario in my earlier post but I'm losing any reason to even consider that by the off chance and only pave way for straight up outrage.

Yes, Konami actually pales in comparison.

New Game S2 11

I know the feeling of seeing colleagues move on to another company all too well. Narucchi's backstory was useful.

They both
end similarly though, except one is reciprocated and the other gets NTR'd lol

I miss credit sequences with epilogues.

That's not similar at all. The theme between both are different. The characteristic of both protagonists are different. The only thing that's similar is that both are love stories, and that itself can be argued because Your Name can also be classified as a romantic comedy.

The only way both can be similar is if you look too hard for similarities. I should know, I'm a big fan of Mitsuru Adachi's works and with his, you might have an argument.

Also Your Name is by far his best work, simply due to there actually being humor in some parts to lighten the story up. I got so bored of his last 4 works when you had to suffer through an hour or more of just angst in each.

So I dont understand this argument that this is similar. It just doesnt make sense.

DNAbro

When One Punch Man was first announced, it was coming from the studio that brought us Parasyte and Highschool of the Dead. Rightfully, many were worried. In the end, it turned out reasonable.

We now have One Punch Man coming from the studio that brought us the likes of Amanchu, Azumanga, Flying Witch and Kill Me Baby. Basically a studio known for greatness. There's literally no reason to be worried.

I don't even know what any of those shows are.

Also Parasyste was good? Is that not agreed on?

zulux21

I don't even know what any of those shows are.

Also Parasyste was good? Is that not agreed on?

azumanga was a solid show
https://myanimelist.net/anime/66/Azumanga_Daioh?q=Azumanga

but as for using it to inspire hope in good action animation... that it does not.

Parasyte is one of those series that while airing it was well received but the weak ending soured a lot of people on it. but I mean horrid music choices aside the animation was well done in it. (which the music drove plenty of people away as well.)

I also don't know why anyone would bring up high school of the dead, when at that time it was old news and the bigger news was hunter x hunter which left little doubt in most people's heads that one punch man would be well animated. But horrible story aside... it was also pretty well animated. I mean the boob bullet time is beyond stupid, but it's hard to deny that it's at least well animated lol.

basically that poster is living in their own fantasy world where people worried about madhouse doing one punch man, as most people were "if any studio could do it justice it would be madhouse given hunter x hunter" they were more just worried if any studio could do the manga artwork justice. which is likely what their memory is recalling as people being worried about madhouse.

meanwhile that poster is deciding to try to claim that decent slice of life shows are a good basis for good action animation.

I would assume it was a troll post, but some of the people in this thread just have rather twisted views on things lol. (which I am sure plenty of people think I also have twisted views on things since I will any day of the week say Sword art online is a good series and actually mean it)

zulux21

There are apparently people who have never heard of Azumanga Daioh much less watched it.

I weep for humanity.

I mean it is an older show, and it is very japanese. it's easy to see how newer fans could overlook it. When you talk about older series you hear people talk about Eva or Bebop not azumanga.

still a shame that the creator of azumanga hates the anime adaption and thus we will likely never get a Yotsuba to! adaption.

zulux21

Why tho

The low budget and reuse of animation actually adds to the comedy.

if I recall right he didn't feel that the anime was able to capture the pacing of the manga correctly. that because of that he felt a lot of the comedic timing was off and that it was a very poor adaption because of that. That being said he doesn't think it was the studio's fault, just that his style can't really be adapted into animation. Anime and manga are different things and he feels his work only truly works in manga format.

thus he doesn't want his new work adapted at all by any studio, as he firmly believes there is no studio out there that could manage to properly adapt his manga given the time limitations anime has.

I mean he might be willing to do something if they could release variable episode lengths, but in general I think the guy just doesn't like other people working with his material.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom