• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT3 | Playing with our sticks while petting Jaguars!

Just my humble opinion, but the plaid absolutely kills any chance I would consider a GTI.

Then step up to the higher trims lol.

The plaid is literally base model status but at the same time, if you know even a little bit of car history, then you'll know that the plaid seats in the GTI have been one of the design choices that harkens back to the Mk1 released in the 70's.

But more importantly, I live in Texas and if you have leather seats here, your car better have cooled seats otherwise your ass will burn in the summer lol.

Plus I think it's unique af. A majority of cars these days just look boring or by the numbers and it's little things like this that make it a little more special.

Don't quote me on it, but I believe it's at 45k miles. I'm going to swap mine out before next summer regardless cause of the brake dust.

Love the plaid license plate frame. I gifted my Klii Motorwerkes plaid plate frame to my buddy with a MK7 GTI. It served me well on my MK6 GTI.

45k miles? Lol I'm 25k away from that... if I can't deal with the brake dust then I'll probably swap them out next year too.

I'm glad Klii doesn't sell the vinyl for the side mirrors... I probably, no definitely would've bought a set and used them haha.

That's very true, but you can still wake up early and go out for a drive without any hassle on some routes. But you're still free to join whenever we have a meet up!

Most of the usual driving Rd. In the South Bay are congested,full of bikers and cyclists . It pretty much kills the fun of driving and it becomes more stressfull. There's also been too many accidents that cops are always on alert especially highway 9. Also it's not friendly for beginners... I've seen plenty of seasoned driver hitting the ditch.

How about a more relaxed route in Napa or sonoma?

matmanx1

I just met my new neighbor a few doors down. Holy shit, this guy is the MAN!

BMW M2 DCT
BMW M3 (E46)
BMW M3 (E36)
Porsche Boxster S MT (986)
Toyota Tacoma TRD Pro (2016)

And then an E46 330i for his son's DD, and an F30 328i for his wife's DD.

Craziest thing of all, the guy lost the lower part of his leg (below the knee) last year. And drives a stick shift with his titanium prosthetic. :|

They are from my old neighborhood in Queens, NY too - so we bonded pretty quick. He used to have a BMW 1M, SVT Terminator, and a horde of other cars.

Oh, and he bought a $500 Miata, fixed it up himself (he's an engineer) and sold it for $5000. He said he regrets selling it. High praise.

I wish I had a neighbor like yours. Bonding with car guys/gals is one of my favorite things but they are all too rare around here. It's one of the reasons I like going down to the Porsche Experience Center in Atlanta because I know I am going to be surrounded by like minded folks who are just as geeky about great cars as I am.

718 GTS
open.jpg

The new bumper design looks really good. Supposedly sounds a lot better, too. Come on, Porsche, make every 718 after this sound just as good even if it's not a GTS. I need those 981CS to go down.

Looks very good. And if they really do address the noise issue (which, how can they not? The 718 Cayman S is already almost perfect with the exception of the engine noise) then I would stop being irrationally irritated at Porsche for the switch to the Flat 4 motor.

Drove 3 bmws today. Nothing terribly special about the m240xdrive cab. The M2 was more fun than the M3 imo but the exhaust note was not as good as I hoped it to be. I think I like luxury almost as much if not more than sportiness, and I couldn't help but notice the road noise, hard plastics in the cabin, and relatively stiff ride. Fun but not for me, at least now.

I actually liked 440 xdrive coupe quite a bit. It was fully loaded, and it was the first time I saw the extended merino leather along the dash and door trims. Also had the m-performance package I and II, and I liked it overall a bit more than the C43 AMG and S5 sportback. Big noticeable difference between sport mode and comfort mode in the steering, suspension dampening and exhaust noise. IDrive is pretty good too and not an eyesore like the Merc Command system.

Tomorrow should be mind blowing hopefully...

I actually went back and watched the Motor Trend Head 2 Head with the M2 and the V6 1LE Camaro and as much praise as the M2 gets it also has some glaring issues. In fact, most all the M cars have glaring issues right now as BMW is focusing more on volume and global average fuel economy than making truly great sports cars. I think if I were going to get another BMW it wouldn't be an M car but probably a 3 or 4 series with the M performance package and some choice options. Living in the South I don't really have a use for Xdrive but I can see how it would be appealing if you live in climates that get more snow.

I love that plaid

Me too, actually. And they are super comfortable seats that definitely stay cooler than leather.

ameratsu

I would have totally taken plaid over leather... but sadly Canada gets fucked on trim and the only way to get the PP for 16-17 is to get the Performance trim, which is basically fully loaded.

I think for MY16 you could actually get cloth in this trim as my window sticker has a line item for leather, but that has to be super rare, as you'd be spending $40k on a new GTI that's fully loaded other than cloth. Why anyone would pay 40k+ for a new GTI when an R is only a few thousand more also confounds me, but whatever, makes a good second hand purchase. :D

rokkerkory

Yep M division is shit right now because it is focusing not on making the best sports cars possible. Just look at the s55 engine ie not truly a bespoke engine. Annoys the crap out of me.

v1lla21

I may be the only one here that doesn't really care if the sound from the new 718 doesn't sound as good as before :/ also, that GTS looks great. The previous Cayman GTS is one of my favorites.

Spent my morning washing my dad's all road and my car. Gonna do my oil change and change the rotors and pads on his car later today.

Yeah, I like that new bumper layout on the 718 GTS. Looks really nice. I like the headlights and taillights a bit better on the 981 but this more or less fixes it. From the front at least.

Will be interested what they pull off here, especially with the 981 GT4 only going up in price.

Pterion

Test drove a bunch of cars today (RS3, Golf R, Macan GTS, Boxter 718 S), but I only want to talk about the 991.2 C4 GTS. I can't stop thinking about it. I will post more details later, but I am seriously tempted. Incredible car.

Test drove a bunch of cars today (RS3, Golf R, Macan GTS, Boxter 718 S), but I only want to talk about the 991.2 C4 GTS. I can't stop thinking about it. I will post more details later, but I am seriously tempted. Incredible car.
One of those cars is not (priced) anything like the others..

matmanx1

Yeah we definitely need to hear more about that one. I'm also curious on your thoughts on the Macan GTS and the RS3 now that you have experienced them firsthand. Obviously the 911 GTS is in another league in terms of price and performance but, as I learned from my demo laps the week before last, they are truly epic performers for a road car.

Pterion

Yeah we definitely need to hear more about that one. I'm also curious on your thoughts on the Macan GTS and the RS3 now that you have experienced them firsthand. Obviously the 911 GTS is in another league in terms of price and performance but, as I learned from my demo laps the week before last, they are truly epic performers for a road car.
I am so glad I was able to drive all these cars. What a spread, from a Civic Si to a 991. My comments may seem controversial about some cars, and I know we have some owners here, but it's nothing personal.

RS3: I really wanted to like the car, but it left me indifferent, especially compared to the M2. I am starting to wonder if it's primarily due to the transmission. The manual M2 felt like a greater rush as I was accelerating, and while I have no doubt the RS3 is faster in a straight line, it didn't push me back against my seat as I was flooring it. Remember that I was on the streets and not a racetrack, so I can't fully assess things like understeer and handling, but the steering was lighter than the M2, the engine/exhaust sound didn't please me as much as the M2, and my butt dyno was not going off the charts in the RS3. I liked its looks inside and out, and there was less road noise, I'll give it that. I think Audi on average is amazing on esthetics and refined driving, but the sportiness isn't generally as good as BMW imo. I could have driven a TT-RS and possibly a R8 as the sales manager was trying hard to earn my business, but I was in a hurry and I am not willing to spend R8 money anytime soon.

Macan GTS: once again, I really wanted to like the car, but it didn't feel that different than the base Macan I drove a week ago. More power, tighter suspension, but it still remained a SUV to me. I just didn't like the high seating position. Unlike other porsches I drove today, it didn't feel solid like a bank vault made of a single large piece of steel. I didn't feel as connected to the car. I felt somewhat isolated, again compared to the other porsches. Engine/exhaust noise was distant. The acceleration felt ok but nothing to write home about (not any faster than a 340i imo), Again maybe on the track the Macan GTS can truly shine, but I completely disagree with it being even compared to a sports car. I still think I'd rather drive a BMW 340i to a Macan GTS. It might be a crazy statement, but I honestly didn't care for the Macan.

Golf R (2017): surprised by this car. Very fun and easy to drive. Manual R was much easier to drive than the M2 MT, but it's probably me being a terrible driver. Again, my butt dyno is calibrated wrong, but I swear the acceleration felt more brutal than the RS3. Value for the money is good, and possibly the best of all the cars I've driver. I can fully understand the fuss about this car. Steering is way too light though for my liking though.

Boxter 718 S: no Cayman S to test drive, so I drove the convertible. 80-90% of the 991 feel with 50-60% of the price. Car feels solid like it's made a single block of concrete. I now understand when some people say it's as if your brain is linked directly to the car. I liked the 4 cylinders sound, and I didn't think it was half as bad as everyone on the internet makes it to be. I honestly didn't have enough seat time to compare its balance vs the 911, but I have no doubt it's just as capable in the handling department. Didn't like the looks as much though, and it's not as practical, and I still like more power...

991 C4 GTS: best looking car of them all, by far. Classy as hell. Best sound, by far. Best road handling behaviour. Interesting how the car is stiff yet not harsh, if that makes any sense. I could easily daily drive this thing, whereas I am not sure I would like doing that with the M cars. Launch control is just beautiful. The power, the refinement, the amazing sounds coming out of this thing. The turbo engine that is so responsive to a single millimeter depression of the gas pedal, the grip that makes you feel the car is hugging the road. My cheeks were hurting from so much smiling. I could go on and on about this car, but this is it for me, my new gold standard. Can't think of anything else cheaper that would drive like this. My wife is allowing me to get one, and I'm still trying to rationalize spending this amount of money on a car but every single cent spent would be worth it imo. Nuts nuts nuts! All I know it's only a matter of time, whether it's 2 weeks or 2 years, but I want one bad. Really bad!

Futaba

May have fried one of (or both of) my front rotors getting a little carried away today, brakes got so hot the cable ties at the bottom of my shocks that I use for keeping track of adjustments, melted.
Still working, just notable scrapy scrape at low speeds when braking.

Ah well, will give me an excuse to install the Endless 6pot front and rear kit.

2018-Honda-Civic-Type-R-1.jpg

I'm absolutely in love with the new Type R. Does anyone on here own one? They're available to lease for like £299 from Honda, and I'm really tempted, but I have a few questions.

I know the styling is really divisive - I personally think it looks exceptional.

matmanx1

I am so glad I was able to drive all these cars. What a spread, from a Civic Si to a 991. My comments may seem controversial about some cars, and I know we have some owners here, but it's nothing personal.

RS3: I really wanted to like the car, but it left me indifferent, especially compared to the M2. I am starting to wonder if it's primarily due to the transmission. The manual M2 felt like a greater rush as I was accelerating, and while I have no doubt the RS3 is faster in a straight line, it didn't push me back against my seat as I was flooring it. Remember that I was on the streets and not a racetrack, so I can't fully assess things like understeer and handling, but the steering was lighter than the M2, the engine/exhaust sound didn't please me as much as the M2, and my butt dyno was not going off the charts in the RS3. I liked its looks inside and out, and there was less road noise, I'll give it that. I think Audi on average is amazing on esthetics and refined driving, but the sportiness isn't generally as good as BMW imo. I could have driven a TT-RS and possibly a R8 as the sales manager was trying hard to earn my business, but I was in a hurry and I am not willing to spend R8 money anytime soon.

Macan GTS: once again, I really wanted to like the car, but it didn't feel that different than the base Macan I drove a week ago. More power, tighter suspension, but it still remained a SUV to me. I just didn't like the high seating position. Unlike other porsches I drove today, it didn't feel solid like a bank vault made of a single large piece of steel. I didn't feel as connected to the car. I felt somewhat isolated, again compared to the other porsches. Engine/exhaust noise was distant. The acceleration felt ok but nothing to write home about (not any faster than a 340i imo), Again maybe on the track the Macan GTS can truly shine, but I completely disagree with it being even compared to a sports car. I still think I'd rather drive a BMW 340i to a Macan GTS. It might be a crazy statement, but I honestly didn't care for the Macan.

Golf R (2017): surprised by this car. Very fun and easy to drive. Manual R was much easier to drive than the M2 MT, but it's probably me being a terrible driver. Again, my butt dyno is calibrated wrong, but I swear the acceleration felt more brutal than the RS3. Value for the money is good, and possibly the best of all the cars I've driver. I can fully understand the fuss about this car. Steering is way too light though for my liking though.

Boxter 718 S: no Cayman S to test drive, so I drove the convertible. 80-90% of the 991 feel with 50-60% of the price. Car feels solid like it's made a single block of concrete. I now understand when some people say it's as if your brain is linked directly to the car. I liked the 4 cylinders sound, and I didn't think it was half as bad as everyone on the internet makes it to be. I honestly didn't have enough seat time to compare its balance vs the 911, but I have no doubt it's just as capable in the handling department. Didn't like the looks as much though, and it's not as practical, and I still like more power...

991 C4 GTS: best looking car of them all, by far. Classy as hell. Best sound, by far. Best road handling behaviour. Interesting how the car is stiff yet not harsh, if that makes any sense. I could easily daily drive this thing, whereas I am not sure I would like doing that with the M cars. Launch control is just beautiful. The power, the refinement, the amazing sounds coming out of this thing. The turbo engine that is so responsive to a single millimeter depression of the gas pedal, the grip that makes you feel the car is hugging the road. My cheeks were hurting from so much smiling. I could go on and on about this car, but this is it for me, my new gold standard. Can't think of anything else cheaper that would drive like this. My wife is allowing me to get one, and I'm still trying to rationalize spending this amount of money on a car but every single cent spent would be worth it imo. Nuts nuts nuts! All I know it's only a matter of time, whether it's 2 weeks or 2 years, but I want one bad. Really bad!

Thanks, I appreciate your comments. I have a long while yet before I am able to seriously start thinking about test driving some of these but more opinions and impressions are always useful.

I haven't driven a Golf R but I have driven the GTI on several occasions and I can understand why you liked it so much. Something about the way they go about their business is very endearing and their turbo motors are very punchy.

I've also heard more than one person say the RS3 has a long accelerator pedal travel and that it really only "wakes up" during the last portion of the throttle meaning you really, really have to put your foot down before it starts to feel fast. During normal driving it might actually feel slower than a normal A3, which is a shame but it does go to show you how important even minor details are in getting a sports car right.

My favorable impressions of the Macan GTS are based entirely on my track time and the fact that I daily a 2008 Miata and a 2004 GX470. Were I to drive a 718 or 991 and then step into the Macan it might completely change the way I look at it. All I know is that it was heads and shoulders above what I drive on a daily basis in almost every single way and that I actually really like the way that it looks.

2018-Honda-Civic-Type-R-1.jpg

I'm absolutely in love with the new Type R. Does anyone on here own one? They're available to lease for like £299 from Honda, and I'm really tempted, but I have a few questions.

I know the styling is really divisive - I personally think it looks exceptional.

If you can find one for that (or buy one at sticker) then it is an exceptional performance value. Over here in the USA the dealers are marking them up between 5 and 10k over sticker and that kills most of the value proposition.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Update and advice (?) on my tire/alignment issue

To recap, last week I bought a new set of wheels with tires and when I went to swap I saw this from my current set.

Yesterday i went by the tire shop that did my alignment in Nov 2016. He said that they aligned it within spec @ -1.3, -1.3 and that me not rotating my tires enough (i went 7k without... oops) caused this. He put it back on the machine and said the alignment is still in spec, but now -1.2 and -1.4 (FR, pictured).

I took it to another shop as this didn't seem right to me and they said basically the same thing. This cars camber will wear the front tires in the inside and I need to rotate more frequently so they last. He did say that he didn't know what the other shop is doing but he "fixed a lot of their alignment jobs" and speculated their machine may not be calibrated. He wants me to come in and recommended that even if the numbers from the first shop are accurate that they try to get it closer to the center of recommended specification (-1.5 to -0.5) rather than being satisfied with it just at the edge.

The wear still seems pretty extreme to me, especially in 7000 miles. But I do drive it pretty hard so...?

ApharmdX

Banned

This is high praise! I'm cross-shopping the Golf R, the Focus RS, the STI, and the Audi S3 for my next car in a few months. For some reason Golf R's are rarer than hen's teeth- one new in the entire DC-Bmore metro area! So that may be out for me, I would need a test drive before buying. Reviewers seem to prefer the RS in head-to-heads but I'd like to see for myself how they stack up.

uaNIFnJ.jpg

tiOcrou.jpg

Kt272DS.jpg

CL4IC6F.jpg

I just got a new car.
I am loving my new ride. Infiniti Q60 . WOw, it is just beautiful.
And has a very good torque considering the one I got is 2.0 turbo (I am coming from a dodge charger Hemi)

The interior is very luxurious, and feels very premium.
The exterior is just jaw dropping.

Now to tint my windows!!!

v1lla21

uaNIFnJ.jpg

tiOcrou.jpg

Kt272DS.jpg

CL4IC6F.jpg

I just got a new car.
And has a very good torque considering the one I got is 2.0 turbo (I am coming from a dodge charger Hemi)

Nice ride ^_^ I really like the q60 since I saw them about a year ago at a car show. Love the rear end. Car looks great, congrats on the new ride :)

matmanx1

uaNIFnJ.jpg

tiOcrou.jpg

Kt272DS.jpg

CL4IC6F.jpg

I just got a new car.

Q60's are gorgeous. Infiniti really did a great job on the styling. Congrats on the new ride and I hope you enjoy it!

Nice ride ^_^ I really like the q60 since I saw them about a year ago at a car show. Love the rear end. Car looks great, congrats on the new ride :)

Q60's are gorgeous. Infiniti really did a great job on the styling. Congrats on the new ride and I hope you enjoy it!

As fast as lux-land yacht coupes go, the Q60 is up there for me. Pretty handsome, those. Congrats on the new ride!

Thanks guys

Buttons

Never seen one of those over here, it looks very elegant. Congrats! Take some photos of the interiour, I am curious to see it. :D

To recap, last week I bought a new set of wheels with tires and when I went to swap I saw this from my current set.

Yesterday i went by the tire shop that did my alignment in Nov 2016. He said that they aligned it within spec @ -1.3, -1.3 and that me not rotating my tires enough (i went 7k without... oops) caused this. He put it back on the machine and said the alignment is still in spec, but now -1.2 and -1.4 (FR, pictured).

I took it to another shop as this didn't seem right to me and they said basically the same thing. This cars camber will wear the front tires in the inside and I need to rotate more frequently so they last. He did say that he didn't know what the other shop is doing but he "fixed a lot of their alignment jobs" and speculated their machine may not be calibrated. He wants me to come in and recommended that even if the numbers from the first shop are accurate that they try to get it closer to the center of recommended specification (-1.5 to -0.5) rather than being satisfied with it just at the edge.

The wear still seems pretty extreme to me, especially in 7000 miles. But I do drive it pretty hard so...?

Honestly seems normal to me if you drive hard. On my 240sx I get 7k - 10k miles out of my tires depending on what tires I use and how I drive. I am running more aggressive camber, like -2.5 degrees, but its also not that heavy of a car.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Q60 is gorgeous. They're high-end model also has a good deal of power, too. Interior is snazzy.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
I just got a new car.

ChristianBaleOoooof.gif

I really can't get enough of seeing Q60s on the road. They're still pretty uncommon too, but my God are they stunning. The second gen G-Coupes were such a letdown after the first gen G35 Coupe. But the Q60 fixes all of that and more.

I'm surprised you went with the Mercedes 2.0T, though, coming from a Dodge V8.

ChristianBaleOoooof.gif

I really can't get enough of seeing Q60s on the road. They're still pretty uncommon too, but my God are they stunning. The second gen G-Coupes were such a letdown after the first gen G35 Coupe. But the Q60 fixes all of that and more.

I'm surprised you went with the Mercedes 2.0T, though, coming from a Dodge V8.

My Dodge was a rwd, I live in Michigan, and it was bad to drive in snow. Also, although I loved the engine, the interior was dated. The car had only 21k miles, and I had to take to dealership 2 times due to engine light on.

Although the engine is way smaller on the q60, the torque is very decent, so I don't feel that huge difference right away. Plus, the luxury makes up for the difference in performance .

My wife has qx60, going strong for the 2nd year, and we love the car. I am a new fan of Infiniti

.If you can find one for that (or buy one at sticker) then it is an exceptional performance value. Over here in the USA the dealers are marking them up between 5 and 10k over sticker and that kills most of the value proposition.

Indeed it is! I just had a few questions about economy and maintenance and the like. I've heard the tyres only last 7,000 miles. Eesh!

So, get tabs on my 77 Chevy for a few weeks to terrorize the locals with now, or leave it for the year? I feel the need to take the old bitch out, but at the same I don't trust the motor 100% for what I want to do. I was told it was an 88 when I bought it, but from what I can tell it's WAY older than that. Its rough as hell, and burns everything except your soul when it runs.....

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
My Dodge was a rwd, I live in Michigan, and it was bad to drive in snow. Also, although I loved the engine, the interior was dated. The car had only 21k miles, and I had to take to dealership 2 times due to engine light on.

Although the engine is way smaller on the q60, the torque is very decent, so I don't feel that huge difference right away. Plus, the luxury makes up for the difference in performance .

My wife has qx60, going strong for the 2nd year, and we love the car. I am a new fan of Infiniti

Good job. I'm very happy you love the car. I've long been an Infiniti fan. Owned multiple: FX35 and M56S/Q70 5.6S, as well as close family owning G35s, G37s, QX60, etc.

I'm really looking forward to the new Q70 in hopes that it will boast the 400HP VR30.

Laekon

Any thoughts on the Subaru Forester XT? I’m looking for a vehicle that is still decent to drive but capable of handling Forest Service and BLM dirt roads in the West. I currently have a 2008 GTI pushing 80k miles that I love, but it’s starting to show its age. The 250 hp and turbo of the XT seem to make it the only non-truck vehicle with ground clearance and some speed for under $30k.

Also is there a best site for looking for used cars?

If you drive it pretty hard the outside shoulders of the tires would be worn, not the inside. You have way too much camber for the street if you have that much disparity between your inside and outside tread on the tire. Unless you're frequently at the track I would put the minimum recommended.

That or your camber is on the high end but your toe is all out of whack.

Edit: Do you have the toe setting from your last alignment?

op_ivy

If you drive it pretty hard the outside shoulders of the tires would be worn, not the inside. You have way too much camber for the street if you have that much disparity between your inside and outside tread on the tire. Unless you're frequently at the track I would put the minimum recommended.

That or your camber is on the high end but your toe is all out of whack.

Edit: Do you have the toe setting from your last alignment?

Both november's and Saturdays numbers say toe is 0.0 for both fronts (spec -0.5 to 0.5)

Bandit1

uaNIFnJ.jpg

tiOcrou.jpg

Kt272DS.jpg

CL4IC6F.jpg

I just got a new car.

Such a good looking car. Congrats!

So, get tabs on my 77 Chevy for a few weeks to terrorize the locals with now, or leave it for the year? I feel the need to take the old bitch out, but at the same I don't trust the motor 100% for what I want to do. I was told it was an 88 when I bought it, but from what I can tell it's WAY older than that. Its rough as hell, and burns everything except your soul when it runs.....

Get it out there!

matmanx1

Pterion, hit me up if you wanna custom order a 991.2 GTS. I'll extend the GAF discount. ;)

Woah, it's a wild Evo X appearance! I was wondering if you were still lurking around somewhere. How are things in Porsche-land? I am very curious and would love to hear about some of your experiences. Feel free to send me PM if you'd rather not make a full post about it.

Both november's and Saturdays numbers say toe is 0.0 for both fronts (spec -0.5 to 0.5)

Hmm, okay. Then I'd have to say it's the camber. Something about flat zero numbers for toe doesn't sound right, but if that's true then it's gotta be too much camber (or not enough body roll! Push harder!). Maybe your tire pressures are too high so your tire isn't rolling over in cornering? I don't know for sure, but that kind of wear is indicative of issues.

op_ivy

Hmm, okay. Then I'd have to say it's the camber. Something about flat zero numbers for toe doesn't sound right, but if that's true then it's gotta be too much camber (or not enough body roll! Push harder!). Maybe your tire pressures are too high so your tire isn't rolling over in cornering? I don't know for sure, but that kind of wear is indicative of issues.

thanks Dave. I'm going to start with taking it to another shop and see what their machine says and try to reduce the camber (also, not getting much body roll with my new springs /cool)

Most of the usual driving Rd. In the South Bay are congested,full of bikers and cyclists . It pretty much kills the fun of driving and it becomes more stressfull. There's also been too many accidents that cops are always on alert especially highway 9. Also it's not friendly for beginners... I've seen plenty of seasoned driver hitting the ditch.

How about a more relaxed route in Napa or sonoma?

You actually have a point. I don't think there's so many police and everything that we'd get caught. I don't drive enormously quick or out of line on Highway 9 or most routes, so I think we should be safe. However, you are right that Highway 9 and some other routes I had in mind are not beginner friendly, especially since most people interested are just in the SF Bay Area thread and probably not car enthusiasts like people in this thread.

I know a route that I think people may enjoy from Walnut Creek to Napa Valley, I'll bring it up. Or perhaps a route from South Bay to Santa Cruz and back up CA-1, there's a nice route, too.

If you're interested, then just stop by the SF Bay Area thread and chime in. I'm sure you have some ideas that others could enjoy for a meet up!

Is it really $26k for one? A buddy's been eyeing one that has 30k miles and the seller wants $20k for it. I told my buddy he's crazy to go for that so the search goes on for him.
Yep. The Cobra was $26,000 brand new at the dealership back in 1995-1996. The steal of the mid 90's, IMO.

Today, old Mustang prices have skyrocketed in recent years. All of the 4th gen Cobras, especially the 03-04s, have gone up dramatically. The 3rd gen Foxbody GTs and LX 5.0s, especially 88-93, have skyrocketed right alongside them as well.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
uaNIFnJ.jpg

tiOcrou.jpg

Kt272DS.jpg

CL4IC6F.jpg

I just got a new car.

Grats on the sex. Now you are king in the north,

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Any thoughts on the Subaru Forester XT? I'm looking for a vehicle that is still decent to drive but capable of handling Forest Service and BLM dirt roads in the West. I currently have a 2008 GTI pushing 80k miles that I love, but it's starting to show its age. The 250 hp and turbo of the XT seem to make it the only non-truck vehicle with ground clearance and some speed for under $30k.

Also is there a best site for looking for used cars?

We have an old ass Forester but our in-laws have a new ass Forester (2017) and it's probably perfect for what you describe. Comfortable and well appointed too. I have only driven it on beach and dirt (including forest service) roads, but it felt like plenty of clearance and I never bottomed out. Torque and traction are Subaru.

^Fucking hell lmao.

I just spit out barbecue sauce all over my keyboard at work... thanks lol.

Yep. The Cobra was $26,000 brand new at the dealership back in 1995-1996. The steal of the mid 90's, IMO.

Today, old Mustang prices have skyrocketed in recent years. All of the 4th gen Cobras, especially the 03-04s, have gone up dramatically. The 3rd gen Foxbody GTs and LX 5.0s, especially 88-93, have skyrocketed right alongside them as well.

Interesting.

How are Foxbodies gaining value? Just a few years ago everyone considered it to be the shittiest Mustang ever now it’s suddenly going up?

I’ve always liked them though. Something about that flat shape intrigued me every time lol.

^Fucking hell lmao.

I just spit out barbecue sauce all over my keyboard at work... thanks lol.

Interesting.

How are Foxbodies gaining value? Just a few years ago everyone considered it to be the shittiest Mustang ever now it’s suddenly going up?

I’ve always liked them though. Something about that flat shape intrigued me every time lol.
All of a sudden people love Foxbodys. The big Youtube car reviewers are all doing Foxbody reviews now. They are smaller and lighter for a Mustang, and those Windsor 5.0s are torque monsters. Big aftermarket for them as well.

Bandit1

Yeah Fox bodys have always had a following but I've never been very interested in them. I can appreciate them being lightweight and having the 302, but the styling just doesn't really appeal to me.

But it doesn't surprise me that they're going up in value. As time goes by more and more are salvaged and scrapped, and cars that are sitting around deteriorate, so the good stuff gets harder to find.

Top Bottom