• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Board Gaming |OT2| On Tables, Off Topic

Tried and failed the China Shop mission for Gears of War. My love/hate relationship with Corey Konieczka continues. Don't know if I will give the game another shot. I feel like with his games you are better off rolling a die beforehand to decide if you will have a good time. With a low chance of success, of course.

KJ869

Its starting to realise how much space Kingdom death: monster will en up eating.. Just the gear in coinfolders will be a space eater, corebox and few expansions for card but the amount of miniatures starts to be pretty high.. They probaly will fill up one ikea Detolf or 2

I HATE THAT MISSION. Tried and failed about a dozen times and just gave up. We breezed through the rest of them though.
That's good to hear. I think it's a badly designed scenario and brings out the worst in the game's design.

Also fuck wretches. They expose how badly luck is integrated into the design. Their triggered ability is just plain awful since under the right circumstances you can have five spawn and attack in one turn. If Corey is going to pull that shit at least have a reliable way to kill them. It would be less of a problem if you could reliably close emergence holes which you can't because fuck certainty.

Is race for the galaxy on iOS a good version?
It's really good. Interface is great and easy to use.

The AI is also challenging. I want to say that the AI is based off of that Keldon RFTG app that had notoriously difficult AI. Either way, playing on hard is really hard. I've beaten it a handful of times but I mostly lose in really close games.

Bit the bullet..
When I got carcosa exp for arkham lcg I also got pandemic legacy and scythe..
End of the week I should also finalize gloomhaven..

Keasar

Personally I preferred heavily Legendary Encounters (the Alien themed ones) as it had a greater focus on co-op than the Marvel one, but my friend who owned the game I played apparently appreciates the more competitive spirit of the Marvel so it's subjective.

I know I'm in the minority, but the main thing keeping me from playing Legendary is the art -_-

I wanted to get the Aliens game, but man, I really wish the art was painted or movie shots TBH.

zulux21

Personally I preferred heavily Legendary Encounters (the Alien themed ones) as it had a greater focus on co-op than the Marvel one, but my friend who owned the game I played apparently appreciates the more competitive spirit of the Marvel so it's subjective.

i don't play with the complete and utter crap tier competitive rules of marvel legendary.

so it comes down to what you want.

do you want a game that is really only good for 5-10 playthroughs but is better themed with some extra co op mechanics get aliens.

if you want a game that is good for hundreds of playthroughs due to the amount of content there is for the game, and the more random nature of the set up get Marvel.

I prefer the marvel one, but the alien one is for sure better if you just want to play it with your friends a few times.

zulux21

Can you not combind the legendary encounter games together/ not encounter games with encounter games?
not really.

you can do aliens and predators (I think) but the rest don't mesh very well. most have unique mechanics that are needed in the encounter games not found in the other games.

for example the horrible firefly game has mechanics to heal the ship as well as cards that react if certain players are in the game.

aliens has co op cards, as well as ways to reduce character HP damage which you could kind of mesh with marvel but wouldn't be great. Especially since aliens has a lot more of a combat focus. While the marvel decks eventually get going, most of them would be far to slow for the aliens game.

I haven't played the other encounters, but in general the theme is just to strong with the games to insert cards that don't fit that theme. I mean I am sure there is a way to do it, it would just be messy and not ideal at all.

I mean I don't even think that the normal marvel game and the villains game work together very well given the villains game is far more about attacking and hurting your partners. I still have them separate because they just don't combine well.

Predator and Alien sets can be mixed very easily, also expansion for Alien added lot of new ways to play and scenarios.

You can also easily mix the Marvel content into the Alien encounters game, there is a simple section in the rulebook to do so.

zulux21

Predator and Alien sets can be mixed very easily, also expansion for Alien added lot of new ways to play and scenarios.

You can also easily mix the Marvel content into the Alien encounters game, there is a simple section in the rulebook to do so.

I haven't played with the alien expansion, my experience is based on the base game.

that being said... even if I could have a way to put my marvel cards into alien... it just would feel wrong and most of the characters would not be well suited for it.

maybe the villains set would work better since that is more attack focused.

I haven't played with the alien expansion, my experience is based on the base game.

that being said... even if I could have a way to put my marvel cards into alien... it just would feel wrong and most of the characters would not be well suited for it.

maybe the villains set would work better since that is more attack focused.

Haven't there been cross over comics between alien/predator and marvel/dc before? I know for sure I owned superman vs alien as a kid.

zulux21

Haven't there been cross over comics between alien/predator and marvel/dc before? I know for sure I owned superman vs alien as a kid.

I mean maybe. but those were created with that cross over in mind.

the Marvel art doesn't remotely fit the theme. and the character designs don't remotely fit the theme in general. A handful of characters would work fine, but most would just be a handicap to use in alien as the games paces are completely different towards how fast you need to build attack vs buy.

the alien game is way way more attack focused, needing lots of lower amounts early on or you will be destroyed. Meanwhile the marvel game gives you more time to build up your characters buy to buy bigger attack cards. if you let some enemies go for a while you get punished but nothing to bad most of the time. meanwhile if you let enemies go in aliens you literally die (they start striking you and can quickly kill you), you are eliminated from the game, and you can't get back in it to play with your friends anymore until the next game.

that is the main mechanic that puts aliens behind marvel for me. While theme wise I really enjoy the characters being attacked and dying, as a player a little bad luck has had me die a few times early on which means I have to sit around and do nothing until the game is finished.

there is a variant that lets you take control of the enemy queen, but my group doesn't do much competitive stuff in general.

I mean maybe. but those were created with that cross over in mind.

the Marvel art doesn't remotely fit the theme. and the character designs don't remotely fit the theme in general. A handful of characters would work fine, but most would just be a handicap to use in alien as the games paces are completely different towards how fast you need to build attack vs buy.

the alien game is way way more attack focused, needing lots of lower amounts early on or you will be destroyed. Meanwhile the marvel game gives you more time to build up your characters buy to buy bigger attack cards. if you let some enemies go for a while you get punished but nothing to bad most of the time. meanwhile if you let enemies go in aliens you literally die (they start striking you and can quickly kill you), you are eliminated from the game, and you can't get back in it to play with your friends anymore until the next game.

that is the main mechanic that puts aliens behind marvel for me. While theme wise I really enjoy the characters being attacked and dying, as a player a little bad luck has had me die a few times early on which means I have to sit around and do nothing until the game is finished.

there is a variant that lets you take control of the enemy queen, but my group doesn't do much competitive stuff in general.

That makes sense from both a thematic element and a "well fuck me see yall in an hour" issue. I do want to get LE alien/predator since I love those ips and I've heard good things about the games, but my group is far more likely to play Marvel with me.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
I say wait 2 weeks and get Aeon’s End War Eternal. Mechanically far, far more interesting than any Legendary set with more variability on top of that.

zulux21

That makes sense from both a thematic element and a "well fuck me see yall in an hour" issue. I do want to get LE alien/predator since I love those ips and I've heard good things about the games, but my group is far more likely to play Marvel with me.

I mean the death thing shouldn't be that big of an issue.

I just have extremely bad luck in the wound draws.
I think there is exactly 1 5 damage card, 1 4 damage card and only a handful of 3 damage cards. and I will pull both the 5 and 4 damage cards as part of the first 3 wounds I get most of the time lol.

in general you should have a decent amount of time as the balance isn't bad in aliens.

firefly is a different story. That game has garbage balance. The first scenerio in the game if the first mini boss shows up anywhere but the last few cards you just pack up the game and call it good as you can't build up enough to deal with it in general, and if comes out in any place but the last few cards it will just murder you before you get to the end of the round. It's a game that places the theme completely in front of any enjoyable gameplay balance. and I can't recommend it to anyone.

I say wait 2 weeks and get Aeon's End War Eternal. Mechanically far, far more interesting than any Legendary set with more variability on top of that.

*looks over at copy of war eternal on shelf* I should play that lol.
I should also look at what the upgrade pack has in it.

I think I would agree that Aeon's End is the better recommendation as well. It scales a bit better across player count, and in general is just a more polished version of the legendary system with some fun unique mechanics to it such as not shuffling your deck.

that being said I don't think I ever faced anything that wasn't the base boss in the original game since I kept playing with new players lol.

I do still pull out both though. really I need to go through and trim some of my deck builders. I own to many and don't play enough of them because a lot of them that I own have a ton of replayability.

zulux21

Interested in Aeon's End. Are there any Kickstarter exclusive shenanigans?

I will have to go back and double check, but I believe it's a case where the kickstarter backers get content included with their base game (at no extra cost) that people who buy it now won't, but after a period of time that content will be released as an expansion for everyone.

edit: looking at the campaign there are some things that are kickstarter exclusive, but in the grand scheme of things it's very little content.

looks like it is like 6 cards and some nicer dividers for the cards, in a game that comes with over 300 cards.

the rest of the promo stuff will likely be released as an expansion later. (in fact opening up my game box if you want to know the name of that likely expansion I can since they are nice and include boxes for the expansions that are included via kickstarter pledges lol)

that being said, while I know it sucks to have some content you don't have, at the same time, in a game with a ton of content like aeon's end it doesn't matter to much :p.

KBhQ9VM.png

is what should be in the game in general.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
*looks over at copy of war eternal on shelf* I should play that lol.
I should also look at what the upgrade pack has in it.

I think I would agree that Aeon's End is the better recommendation as well. It scales a bit better across player count, and in general is just a more polished version of the legendary system with some fun unique mechanics to it such as not shuffling your deck.

that being said I don't think I ever faced anything that wasn't the base boss in the original game since I kept playing with new players lol.

I do still pull out both though. really I need to go through and trim some of my deck builders. I own to many and don't play enough of them because a lot of them that I own have a ton of replayability.

Yea Ragebourne is a cool fight that let’s see the differences of Aeon’s End from most deckbuilders. War Eternal though is definitely a game you can tell was designed after the core set. Lots of the market cards and new Mage special powers have to do with minpulating other players decks or cards or charges.

The bosses get insane as well. We fought one that manipulated time, so she replays stuff from discard or mess with your hand and even worse shuffles her nemesis turn order cards back into the turn order deck. Another one we did “poisons” the market. You have a token that has a grave hold side and a player side and it sits on one of the cards in the market. Whenever she unleashed she deals damage equal to how many cards are in that stack to whatever side the token is on, then it flips and moves to another market card. Both fights were really fun.

As far as Kickstarter stuff, I think you will be missing 9 nemesis cards total. All the other stuff is in expansions release to retail.

zulux21

Yea Ragebourne is a cool fight that let's see the differences of Aeon's End from most deckbuilders. War Eternal though is definitely a game you can tell was designed after the core set. Lots of the market cards and new Mage special powers have to do with minpulating other players decks or cards or charges.

The bosses get insane as well. We fought one that manipulated time, so she replays stuff from discard or mess with your hand and even worse shuffles her nemesis turn order cards back into the turn order deck. Another one we did ”poisons" the market. You have a token that has a grave hold side and a player side and it sits on one of the cards in the market. Whenever she unleashed she deals damage equal to how many cards are in that stack to whatever side the token is on, then it flips and moves to another market card. Both fights were really fun.

As far as Kickstarter stuff, I think you will be missing 9 nemesis cards total. All the other stuff is in expansions release to retail.

I only saw 6, but I was indeed not looking to closely.

I still stand by the statement in general, that even if there are kickstarter exclusive things that doesn't mean owning the base game without them is a terrible thing.

it's not something I have to worry to much with indie boards and cards though since I back most of their projects lol.

I need to look through what I have and decide if I want to keep the games separate or combine them. I might just do both depending on what is included with the upgrade pack as that is quite heavy and might let me include most of the stuff from the first game without needing to pull stuff from the first game lol.

emag

It's really good. Interface is great and easy to use.

The AI is also challenging. I want to say that the AI is based off of that Keldon RFTG app that had notoriously difficult AI. Either way, playing on hard is really hard. I've beaten it a handful of times but I mostly lose in really close games.

I appreciate that RFTG is finally on iOS, but it's uncomfortable to play on a phone, and IMO even on a tablet it pales in comparison to the Keldon version. I'm obviously biased as I've played Keldon's version hundreds of times (possibly upwards of a thousand), but the interface shortcuts that are missing from the iOS version are a bit annoying (automatic processing of mandatory consumption and discards, right-click/long-press select-all, etc.). I also dislike the extraneous animations.

That said, if you don't have a laptop or Windows tablet handy, the iOS version is a decent substitute. The AI does seem identical (with some small differences for the new iOS-only bonus cards). Note that there were several BGG games pitting Keldon's AI against groups of expert players and each was at least interesting, whichever side won.

Experien

Any cool, expansive adventure games that take a tiny footprint? Like tiny like in public on a table. I know that seems contradictory but didn't know if there was anything.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
I only saw 6, but I was indeed not looking to closely.

I still stand by the statement in general, that even if there are kickstarter exclusive things that doesn't mean owning the base game without them is a terrible thing.

it's not something I have to worry to much with indie boards and cards though since I back most of their projects lol.

I need to look through what I have and decide if I want to keep the games separate or combine them. I might just do both depending on what is included with the upgrade pack as that is quite heavy and might let me include most of the stuff from the first game without needing to pull stuff from the first game lol.

I have been combining everything. The variety from game to game is really, really impressive.

I recently fell into a Gaming slump and decided to try another type of gaming with the Family. Usually my family games together no matter what we play. It started during the last hurricane when I was on a mandatory disaster team. Being IT we brought in our gaming PCs but we wanted a few other things to do if we went on generator power for a while. I decided to stop by a local game shop and pick up some games. I had previously picked up some Card games like Magic and Pokémon for the family. Pokémon was popular but Magic was a bit too complex for my Wife. So I figured I would grab a few different things. Ended up with the following.

5 Minute Dungeon
The best time we have had in a long time. We literally played 5 Minute Dungeon from 9 AM to 9 PM yesterday and it was an amazing time. By far the best $20 bucks I have spent in a long time. This I can say is worth it to anyone that wants a crazy time. The App is amazing and helps set the mood.

King Of Tokyo
King Of Tokyo was fun but took a bit longer to get through a game. We had fun with this but only played on time so far.

Zombie Dice
Zombie Dice was a lot of fun. My 3 year old ended up rolling almost nothing but brains to win. This we end up playing quick rounds here and there.

Exploding Kittens
This was fun but seemed to get out a little fast.

By the end of the day we decided to start a collection of games. I have been eyeing up some other games and wouldn't mind some other peoples thoughts on some of the following. Some will include all four of us but some will just be my Wife and I.

Arkham Horror: The Card Game
One Night Ultimate Werewolf
Clank!
Forbidden Island
Pandemic Legacy
Sheriff of Nottingham
Smash Up
Jump Drive
Gloomhaven

zulux21

Arkham Horror: The Card Game
One Night Ultimate Werewolf
Clank!
Forbidden Island
Pandemic Legacy
Sheriff of Nottingham
Smash Up
Jump Drive
Gloomhaven

Arkham Horror: The Card Game - if magic was to complex for her this might be as well, but it is co op so you might be able to help.
One Night Ultimate Werewolf - I am not fond of this, but plenty of people are and it's cheap. given it's a social game it should go over decently with people who don't play a lot of board games.
Clank! - a bit more involved but not super complicated. Though hard to recommend to a group that hasn't played some deckbuilders.
Forbidden Island - this is a solid pick up in general but might I suggest forbidden desert instead. It's unique mechanics help it stand out more, especially if you are thinking about getting pandemic.
Pandemic Legacy - if you are regularly able to get together this shouldn't be a bad pick up. It's pretty cheap anymore regularly going for around $35, and is a fun experience. It slowly builds up mechanics so even those who don't play a lot of board games should be able to grasp it pretty easily.
Sheriff of Nottingham - interesting goods bluffing game, didn't go over well with my group, but a group that is less afraid to screw each other over should enjoy this.
Smash Up - I really should play this again. I own a number of expansions for this, but it never makes it way to my table because I have better games to play.
Jump Drive - never heard of this one.
Gloomhaven - I haven't played this one, but it sounds like it will be a blast to play if you play with the same group. That being said I also imagine it's quite the involved game. I will know better whenever my friend gets his copy in from the kickstarter.

RE2 Kickstarter from Steamforged is up:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/steamforged/resident-eviltm-2-the-board-game?ref=discovery

I posted my thoughts on it from a playtest at Gen Con earlier in this thread. It was a really fun game, enjoyed it far more than Dark Souls.

Rare I can early bird special these things, in for eb price glad this game isn't being butt blasted with ks exclusives.

Edit: "we don't like complicated ks...here are a bunch of extras that you have to go above the pledge amount to get" 🙃🙃🙃🙃🙃🙃🙃

Experien

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/steamforged/resident-eviltm-2-the-board-game?ref=discovery

I posted my thoughts on it from a playtest at Gen Con earlier in this thread. It was a really fun game, enjoyed it far more than Dark Souls.

This seems like it won't be worth it unless they unlock a LOT of stretch goals. Disappointment with characters, 4 types of monsters, not a whole lot of minis, and a $100 price (after shipping) seems not good to me.

This seems like it won't be worth it unless they unlock a LOT of stretch goals. Disappointment with characters, 4 types of monsters, not a whole lot of minis, and a $100 price (after shipping) seems not good to me.

I have a feeling it's gonna blow through stretch goals.

EYEL1NER

I've decided that it's time to finally learn Twilight Struggle. I started reading the rules for Labyrinth: War on Terror earlier at the dentist's office but got confused by some stuff. There is a lot more going on in that game than TS. So I just read the rules for TS, read some stuff on the Twilight Strategy site, and am about to watch a couple instructional videos. One of the guys in my game group has been wanting to play it and Labyrinth, so maybe I can rope him into TS sometime soon.
Wish I had gotten the app on sale, since that is probably a great way to learn the game. I'm not feeling the $10 price tag right now though, so bring on the instructional vids!

EDIT: Yep, ResiEvil 2 looks about how I expected it to look. Cheaper than I imagined it would be though. I burst out laughing when I read where they mention their "world-class miniatures" because those renders look awful. And you usually expect the final mini to look worse than the render, so wow.

Mr E.

Hmm This board game versions of video games reminds of when Film/Tv tie-ins with video games was generally poor but people threw cash at them.

Never played Darks souls but the rules/gameplay I saw looked dull.

Still folks will chuck money at this. Hope it’s good.

Karkador

Banned
I've decided that it's time to finally learn Twilight Struggle. I started reading the rules for Labyrinth: War on Terror earlier at the dentist's office but got confused by some stuff. There is a lot more going on in that game than TS. So I just read the rules for TS, read some stuff on the Twilight Strategy site, and am about to watch a couple instructional videos. One of the guys in my game group has been wanting to play it and Labyrinth, so maybe I can rope him into TS sometime soon.
Wish I had gotten the app on sale, since that is probably a great way to learn the game. I'm not feeling the $10 price tag right now though, so bring on the instructional vids!

Twilight Struggle is a really good game.

If you get the app, I'm sure at least one of us in this thread (well, more so the Digital boardgames thread) would play with you. I'd be up for some async games, although I'm not great at it.

EYEL1NER

Hmm This board game versions of video games reminds of when Film/Tv tie-ins with video games was generally poor but people threw cash at them.

Never played Darks souls but the rules/gameplay I saw looked dull.

Still folks will chuck money at this. Hope it’s good.
I think it looks awful but I totally understand being a fan of an IP and being hooked on anything that comes out related to it, so I'm not gonna fault anyone who likes Resident Evil for backing it at all. If a Jet Set Radio game were to be announced, it could be the worst game ever but I'd still throw my money at it. It's been years since the Iron Maiden Ultimate Ed-Venture Strategy Game was announced and I don't think it will ever come out, and it also looked like a boring roll-n-move game, but I'll buy it if it ever does get released just because of my love for Iron Maiden.

If the Resident Evil game winds up being great, then that is a good thing too. I think it's probably going to be pretty bad but I bet a lot of fans will still have a lot of fun with it anyway. The Mega Man game was supposed to be really bad but I met a huge Mega Man fan who absolutely loved the game.

Twilight Struggle is a really good game.

If you get the app, I'm sure at least one of us in this thread (well, more so the Digital boardgames thread) would play with you. I'd be up for some async games, although I'm not great at it.
I just checked AppShopper and it looks like it hasn't been on sale since Christmas. If it drops soon I'll buy it. I would rather not buy it for full price right now though before I've had a chance to even play the physical game. I'll drop a line in here when I eventually do pick it up because I can't imagine I'll be able to play the physical version too often.

Now that I'm through the TS rules, I want to learn Labyrinth even more. It'd be a bad idea to try to cram those rules into my head before using what I've read about TS today though. There are a lot less aides, videos, and resources for Labyrinth too. I'll keep waiting on that one for the time being.

So continuing the trend of talking about deck builders (specifically Legendary), as I mentioned my friend got Marvel Legendary a few days ago. Hopped by his place to play our first two games, and man it was really good! I liked how quick it went by, and that was our first games as well so presumably they'll only go by quicker. I was also amazed at the sheer amount of replayability the base set alone offered. Man, I've got that itch where I just want to play some more. That kind of kills my plans to get Dragonfire when it comes out in a month or so, don't see the group being interested in ANOTHER co-op deckbuilder so quickly after we started playing this one. For whatever reason, I'm now kind of bummed that I don't think I'll be buying that game that I've never played before? At least not as soon as October.

Rare I can early bird special these things, in for eb price glad this game isn't being butt blasted with ks exclusives.

Edit: "we don't like complicated ks...here are a bunch of extras that you have to go above the pledge amount to get" 🙃🙃🙃🙃🙃🙃🙃

I love RE2, but after backing Dark Souls, which was a fiasco, I suggest you stay faar faar away from Steamforged.

I will have to go back and double check, but I believe it's a case where the kickstarter backers get content included with their base game (at no extra cost) that people who buy it now won't, but after a period of time that content will be released as an expansion for everyone.

edit: looking at the campaign there are some things that are kickstarter exclusive, but in the grand scheme of things it's very little content.

looks like it is like 6 cards and some nicer dividers for the cards, in a game that comes with over 300 cards.

the rest of the promo stuff will likely be released as an expansion later. (in fact opening up my game box if you want to know the name of that likely expansion I can since they are nice and include boxes for the expansions that are included via kickstarter pledges lol)

that being said, while I know it sucks to have some content you don't have, at the same time, in a game with a ton of content like aeon's end it doesn't matter to much :p.

is what should be in the game in general.
Hmm. Kickstarter exclusive shit is a big turn off for me. As a prospective buyer, how am I supposed to know how good the exclusive content is? Some of it being sold in expansions helps but then that is shitty in its own way.

zulux21

Hmm. Kickstarter exclusive shit is a big turn off for me. As a prospective buyer, how am I supposed to know how good the exclusive content is? Some of it being sold in expansions helps but then that is shitty in its own way.

I mean, just ignore such content exists :p

why worry about stuff that the creators feel are just fun extras when you can get a solid base game anyways.

for me I almost never back any kickstarters that don't have exclusives. The ones I miss I don't sweat as a good game is a good game even if you don't have those exclusives.

edit: I saw your addition of miniature talk, and hands down I won't back any miniature kickstarter unless it's an expansion for one I already own.

*sits down looking at the super dungeon explore kickstarter*

I mean, just ignore such content exists :p

why worry about stuff that the creators feel are just fun extras when you can get a solid base game anyways.

for me I almost never back any kickstarters that don't have exclusives. The ones I miss I don't sweat as a good game is a good game even if you don't have those exclusives.
I have OCD. :<

Like, I can live without getting promo cards for a lot of games but Kickstarter stuff affects me differently.

I have OCD. :<

Like, I can live without getting promo cards for a lot of games but Kickstarter stuff affects me differently.

I have the same problem, especially with being so lttp on board gaming in general. I do get the argument of "don't think about" it because sometimes the ks exclusive stuff is really minor which is how I try and justify not having a complete set. In general though if a game NEEDS it's ks exclusives to be a complete/full game then it's probably not a game worth buying or playing anyways.

Top Bottom