• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT9|...You looked better before

Szu

prolly the stair stepper for now

mix in treadmill or elliptical for some variety

Dude, you need to upgrade your cardio game.

009d622055a8d7b11fe04d7aef2cbb4c.jpg

Edit: Top of page. Perfect, now newbros can understand the true benefits of cardio.

For the lifters in here: where do you guys stand on training until muscle failure? For someone who leans more towards an ectomorph body-type, such as myself, would it be wiser to stick to the 'two in the tank' principle?

About to finish my 4th month of my newest workout plan, my plan was to get to 6 months with this workout but I think I will do 1 year and switch out the workouts. I'm going to start adding more cardio to the plan though.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/10KNaK0Ylg2JUeK4M7ODfPaLmFyEulwdrQYViJmU3ff0/edit?usp=sharing

Take a look at my google doc (how I track) if you want. I would appreciate any advice. I had to go down in squats and deadlifts because the gym's belt snapped on me while squatting and I didn't notice so I did some heavy weight without the belt.

Looks like I'm going to have to remove squats from my routine for the foreseeable future. The last four or five sessions have done something to my left knee and today after my main work set it got to the point that my leg started to buckle with shooting pain when I put weight on it (usually it only gets bad the next day).

I had given it a few weeks from when it happened last time but I've clearly got a longer term issue there. Yaaaaay, another goddamn injury for the list.

mdsfx

Looks like I'm going to have to remove squats from my routine for the foreseeable future. The last four or five sessions have done something to my left knee and today after my main work set it got to the point that my leg started to buckle with shooting pain when I put weight on it (usually it only gets bad the next day).

I had given it a few weeks from when it happened last time but I've clearly got a longer term issue there. Yaaaaay, another goddamn injury for the list.

Ugh that sucks man. Taking breaks to heal is torture, but always worth it. Hope it heals quickly.

Going to see if I can find time to see my physio at the end of the week / next week. I'm sure he'll be overjoyed to see me... though I keep telling him you can only buy so many yachts before you start forgetting where they're parked.

Anyone got any suggestions for squat replacements (yeah, I know, not easy). I did kneeling squats for a bit when I took my last break, and they were fine.

Szu

Going to see if I can find time to see my physio at the end of the week / next week. I'm sure he'll be overjoyed to see me... though I keep telling him you can only buy so many yachts before you start forgetting where they're parked.

Anyone got any suggestions for squat replacements (yeah, I know, not easy). I did kneeling squats for a bit when I took my last break, and they were fine.

Take it easy, man.

Can't think of any good squat replacements except for curls.

Nelo Ice

Banned
So those tips from that Alan Thrall video that was posted in OT8 really helped for my OHP today. OHP felt a lot better and feel like I can lift more now.

JoeNut

Ha, well I'm gonna try to put some weight on so I can increase my lifts. I'm really really struggling with bench press, my progress for squats and deads has been pretty steady but BP has just stayed at 60kg for like 3 months, I got 5/5/5/5/4 last week on 62.5kg so I am surely gonna get the full 5x5 this Wednesday. Any tips on bench?

GrizzNKev

Banned
hey guys I'm a fat sack of shit still, pls help

how many more months of basic-ass chicken tacos before my body fat visibly drops

Sucks, dude. I tore my MCL getting my foot stuck under my car door and pulling up violently on accident. I wasn't squatting for three months, so I know the struggle.

I wonder if you have some swelling in there. Just take it easy for a bit. If you can handle Extensions, go for that. I couldn't do that stuff, so my leg-days were just stretches.

Definitely take more time than less. Knees are really sensitive and once you fuck them up, you're done.

My biggest concern is my cycling. Thus far it's not affected it, so I'm definitely stopping before it does.

Maybe I should get my curls on in the half an hour I usually squat in. Everyone tells me I need to have big arms to be a proper bro. :p

I think i'm done bulking with the end of this week. I am starting to hate food. Going out with a bang this week 5k+ calories and I don't care where they come from. Going to hit my macros and then some.

So here's the breakdown:

Starting weight: 197.6
Ending weight: 225.0 (this morning)
Total bulk: 50 weeks
Weekly avg: 0.548

Below is a pic of me at 198 and in the same pic 225 taken today. I tried to do my best to keep the fat gain to a minimum. Once my abs completely disappeared at rest i stayed there for a few months and slowly gained. I would bulk, mini cut, bulk, mini cut, etc

I feel with all the shit I have stacked against me health-wise I did pretty good with a weekly average of just 0.5lbs. Sure some fat went on but that's to be expected for a year-long gain. I still feel small, size-wise. I would like to be bigger but I'm giving the gain train a rest. It's time to take a break from bulking, hit my cut, maintenance and get back on later.

I start the cut next week. Excited to see what I'll look like after shedding the excess. So go ahead, rip me apart, fam XD - OH - ignore the mini fanny-pack, I put my pump in there to keep it from shifting around while i lift and i have a non-sweat version I sleep in. Makes a world of difference.

http://i.imgur.com/o2nfSNe.jpg

mdsfx

That before pic is GOAT lol

Also, damn dude. 50 weeks?! You look like you put some serious mass on.

I think i'm done bulking with the end of this week. I am starting to hate food

I did the same last week and I'm wishing I'd just dropped my calories immediately to my normal cut levels instead of tapering. I'm 600kcal short of my slightly lower target right now and I just want to go to bed. :(

A fifty week bulk... just think about that for a minute. No, not fifty hours. Fifty WEEKS.

:p

demented

In on new thread. Bulk going well, also about to head to the gym at 2am so I've got that going for me if nothing else in life

BumRush

I think i'm done bulking with the end of this week. I am starting to hate food. Going out with a bang this week 5k+ calories and I don't care where they come from. Going to hit my macros and then some.

So here's the breakdown:

Below is a pic of me at 198 and in the same pic 225 taken today. I tried to do my best to keep the fat gain to a minimum. Once my abs completely disappeared at rest i stayed there for a few months and slowly gained. I would bulk, mini cut, bulk, mini cut, etc

I feel with all the shit I have stacked against me health-wise I did pretty good with a weekly average of just 0.5lbs. Sure some fat went on but that's to be expected for a year-long gain. I still feel small, size-wise. I would like to be bigger but I'm giving the gain train a rest. It's time to take a break from bulking, hit my cut, maintenance and get back on later.

I start the cut next week. Excited to see what I'll look like after shedding the excess. So go ahead, rip me apart, fam XD - OH - ignore the mini fanny-pack, I put my pump in there to keep it from shifting around while i lift and i have a non-sweat version I sleep in. Makes a world of difference.

You put in WORK, dude. Well done!

SeanR1221

So here's the breakdown:

Nicely done, especially with the health issues you're fighting against

Shoulder pump.

Shoulder pump but why not wear some sneaker pumps?

So here's the breakdown:

You did this bulk right. Put on size but didn't get fat. Great job.

That before pic is GOAT lol

Thanks dude!

I did the same last week and I'm wishing I'd just dropped my calories immediately to my normal cut levels instead of tapering. I'm 600kcal short of my slightly lower target right now and I just want to go to bed. :(

A fifty week bulk... just think about that for a minute. No, not fifty hours. Fifty WEEKS.

:p
I hear that. 50 weeks of heavy eating got to me and LOL.

You put in WORK, dude. Well done!
Thanks, brother!

I really wish it was. :(

I'd be a huge believer in the whole nutrient timing thing if it worked anywhere near as well as it's made out to.
I abused it for insulin purposes because hey - I administer my own insulin :p. A majority of my carbs were explicitly timed directly before and after my workouts. I started this in the last half of my bulk and it helped keep the fat gain to a minimum and spiked strength increases moreso than just spreading them around. Protein and fat were fairly evenly spread. - OR - Placebo. Either or, That's about all i messed with.

Yeah, his hand gear looked better before.
It actually did XD That was part of the unfinished Boba Fett costume my brother made for him. He's currently making a TFA Stormtrooper. It's made of cardboard, bondo and paint.

Nicely done, especially with the health issues you're fighting against
Thanks dude! I appreciate it!

You did this bulk right. Put on size but didn't get fat. Great job.
Thanks, man. One of these days I'll catch up to you. Looking ridiculously huge in that pic :O - Dem boulder shoulders!

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun

So here's the breakdown:

Nice work bud.

Shoulder pump.

Celebrations are in order, this mufucka finally sprouted some traps.

mdsfx

I don't believe My Fitness Pal at all right now. My wife cooked this Pork loin below. It was so freakin tender and juicy, with a small layer of fat. All info on this says it's only 150 calories for 4oz. Isn't that LESS than chicken breast? That doesn't seem possible.

Nice work bud.
Thanks, Brolic :D

I don't believe My Fitness Pal at all right now. My wife cooked this Pork loin below. It was so freakin tender and juicy, with a small layer of fat. All info on this says it's only 150 calories for 4oz. Isn't that LESS than chicken breast? That doesn't seem possible.
Pork is my go-to over chicken. I still eat chicken every other week but I can down pork if it is left unattended in front of me. Stir fry with 3/4 cup (measured uncooked) brown rice, pork chops and veggies is my pre-workout jam.

Quasar

So historically for my non formal shoes I've just bought whatever random lowest price pair of joggers I could find and just replace them as needed.

Anyway now that I've started doing some exercise I'm thinking some shoes nicer for my feet might be a good idea. Things is I'm not sure what kind of shoes to buy. Brief googling suggests different shoes for walking, running and cycling and well I'm too poor to buy three different kinds of shoes like that. Are there generalist shoes that would be good for me? Crossfit shoes maybe?

GrizzNKev

Banned
Realistically though, is it possible to make a major impact in body fat % with one really serious cut, or is it going to take many cycles to do that?

I'm tired of everyone in here looking so amazing. Makes me want to work harder.

Since my 90 hour back-to-back weeks in March (I work in the service industry and was annihilated by SXSW), I've done nothing but drink and play video games at the house, citing fatigue and putting off workouts apart from random gym visits.

Gonna get a new tub of powder tomorrow after work and go right back to the gym. Time to cut this shit out.

mdsfx

Realistically though, is it possible to make a major impact in body fat % with one really serious cut, or is it going to take many cycles to do that?

I'm tired of everyone in here looking so amazing. Makes me want to work harder.

I don't see why not, but it's apparently better to lose it somewhat slowly as opposed to starving yourself of 1500 calories/day. Being that "slowly" means not dropping calories TOO much, it also means it is much more manageable long-term.

You can even play with cheat days, seeing how many extra calories you might be able to enjoy once a week without hindering your progress too much. Cheat meals can really help keep you happy if being on a caloric deficit too long starts to wear on you. Just have to be careful with them.... unless your name is Cooter.

Personally, i would rather eat my maintenance calories (no weight change) and leave weight loss up to my workouts. Some people prefer not to have to do much cardio, opting to simply eat less. It's up to you. I just happen to love torturing myself.

Top Bottom