• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Watch Series 1&2 |OT| Better, Wetter

SuperPac

watch-OT-title.png

serieswatches.png

Apple's Watch site - http://www.apple.com/watch

What's new in Watch OS 3 - http://www.apple.com/watchos/

Comparison/specs of Series 1 & 2

comparewatches.png

iMore - Should you buy Series 1 or Series 2?

Videos:
Apple - Introducing Series 2
iMore - Series 2 Hands-On
Apple Watch Series 2 First Look - The Verge

Reviews:

Wall Street Journal - http://www.wsj.com/articles/apple-watch-series-2-review-still-isnt-a-need-might-be-a-want-1473847321

TechCrunch - The first real Apple Watch - https://techcrunch.com/2016/09/14/the-first-real-apple-watch/

Daring Fireball - http://daringfireball.net/2016/09/apple_watch_series_2_and_watchos_3

The Loop Insight - http://www.loopinsight.com/2016/09/14/review-apple-watch-series-2/

USA Today - http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/...s-2-review-water-resistant-swimming/90333716/

Mashable - http://mashable.com/2016/09/14/apple-watch-series-2-review/#8EUVLzhqK8qR

The Independent - http://www.independent.co.uk/life-s...hole-new-wearable-on-the-inside-a7293686.html

The Verge - http://www.theverge.com/2016/9/14/12906348/apple-watch-2-review-new-features

Pocket Lint - http://www.pocket-lint.com/review/138801-apple-watch-series-2-review-fitness-first

BuzzFeed - https://www.buzzfeed.com/nicolenguyen/apple-watch-series-2-review?utm_term=.ejeZ7aml1g#.boe27RlWJP

Was very, very tempted, but will stick with my Series 0 stainless steel for now.

watchOS 3 is legit though. The improved speed, scribble, the dock and being able to swipe between faces are all game changers. I'm sure the new CPU will improve that further.

SourBear

Banned
I was very tempted. To the point where I had it all in my shopping cart and was going to hit the order button but then decided not to last minute. Hahaha.

Things I like:
- Fitness tracking (heart rate, steps, reminders to move)
- I can use it as an iPod when I'm working out in the gym

Thats about it. I already have an expensive watch that I paid >$1k for and will actually last me a life time, and is actually stylish.

My biggest need is something I can take to the gym that has apps capability, wireless audio (in particular apple music support), but that isn't as big as a phone. I want the apps capability because right now I take my phone so that I can use the app 'Strong' which helps me track weight lifting sets / reps.

In theory the Apple Watch can support all of that. But I don't now if its worth buying a $400 watch just so I can take it to the gym every other day for 2 hours.

What I'd really like is something like the Apple Watch -- but that can be clipped to my pants / gym shorts instead of worn on the wrist.

I was very tempted. To the point where I had it all in my shopping cart and was going to hit the order button but then decided not to last minute. Hahaha.

Things I like:
- Fitness tracking (heart rate, steps, reminders to move)
- I can use it as an iPod when I'm working out in the gym

Thats about it. I already have an expensive watch that I paid >$1k for and will actually last me a life time, and is actually stylish.

My biggest need is something I can take to the gym that has apps capability, wireless audio (in particular apple music support), but that isn't as big as a phone. I want the apps capability because right now I take my phone so that I can use the app 'Strong' which helps me track weight lifting sets / reps.

In theory the Apple Watch can support all of that. But I don't now if its worth buying a $400 watch just so I can take it to the gym every other day for 2 hours.

What I'd really like is something like the Apple Watch -- but that can be clipped to my pants / gym shorts instead of worn on the wrist.

You not really losing anything in your use cases by getting the Series 1. that'd be 269/299

SuperPac

Was very, very tempted, but will stick with my Series 0 stainless steel for now.

watchOS 3 is legit though. The improved speed, scribble, the dock and being able to swipe between faces are all game changers. I'm sure the new CPU will improve that further.

Really love Scribble. Watch OS3 really does improve the original watch. I decided to upgrade because even 50% faster is something I want, plus GPS and being able to swim with it is a nice bump. Not sure if they'll do another update next year so I figured...why not jump in?

Went with black stainless steel this time. I'm glad they don't force you to buy the black link bracelet as well like last year.

I'm all in for a series 2 watch, as I managed to hold off on purchasing the first version. I haven't decided on the regular one (Gold Aluminum Case with Concrete Sport Band), or the Nike+ version.

Went with black stainless steel this time. I'm glad they don't force you to buy the black link bracelet as well like last year.

They had a black SS with the black sport for a while and then they dropped it. Glad they brought it back, that's what I'm getting as well

I know I don't need one, but I'm tempted.

Anyone know how long after release it usually takes for Amazon to stock new Apple wares?

Lima

Might be a dumb question but can I browse songs on my phone and change them with this? I assume simple things like skipping tracks, volume control work etc. but can you browse your library to switch to a different album or artist?
I would buy one just for that so I don't have to get the phone out of my pocket.

Guess Who

Banned
Might be a dumb question but can I browse songs on my phone and change them with this? I assume simple things like skipping tracks, volume control work etc. but can you browse your library to switch to a different album or artist?
I would buy one just for that so I don't have to get the phone out of my pocket.

Yes.

Buying a Series 2 38mm Stainless Steel and link bracelet (and a Sports bracelet for swimming). So excited for it since I swim quite a bit and the features mentioned in the Keynote were pretty awesome.

To anybody with one already, are there any apps you find essential/really useful?

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
I was thinking about getting the Nike edition for my wife who does marathons. Can you just take your watch and go or do you have to have the iphone with you?

I was thinking about getting the Nike edition for my wife who does marathons. Can you just take your watch and go or do you have to have the iphone with you?

The new one has GPS so she'll be able to track her runs and listen to music without a phone but if she wants to make calls on the go the watch will need to be connected to her phone or a Wi-Fi network it knows.

SuperPac

Yes. The "Now Playing" app does this and will control any audio currently playing on your phone. I regularly listen to podcasts or music with various apps and control it all on the watch. In Watch OS 3 it's available from the new dock (side button tap).

IMG_6192.PNG

I am still confused about the cal tracking. Does it track in the same way that a fitbit charge HR would? Counts cals burned based on HR all day and you can enter the food you take in? I am interested in it as a Hulk-like fitness watch.

Ninja Dom

Hey guys!!

I'm not going for a new Apple Watch, I'll stick to my launch day Sport model.

However, and I know I can't ever afford it - but one day I'd love to get one of the original Gold 16k Edition watches. I love them.

sikkinixx

I think I might go with the Series 1. Not worth an extra $130 here in Canada for GPS and a brighter screen. I wish the ceramic wasn't $1,500, the white looks so good.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
The new one has GPS so she'll be able to track her runs and listen to music without a phone but if she wants to make calls on the go the watch will need to be connected to her phone or a Wi-Fi network it knows.

Thanks. That's great. So there's storage on the watch?

She doesn't need to make calls when running.

SuperPac

only glance I miss is the Now Playing glance
...which has been replaced by this. Is this an actual app, or is it just in the dock?

It's just in the dock. One click and a tap (or maybe swipe too depending on your Dock setup) away. It is slightly more involved to get to than the Glance. But - I think overall the Dock is better than Glances.

Quick question regarding the Nike edition series 2 as I am thinking about buying one but need to know one thing before I commit.

With the original Series 2 watch you have a "non sports" like interface. Its more oriented to normal day use.
The Nike edition watch seems to have the focus on activity and running.

Will the Nike Edition also be able to display the same interface as the Original Series 2 interface "non sports oriented interface" or will I be stuck with the Nike sports/running interface if I buy the nike one?

i really hope I am able to customize the Nike version to be just the same as the original one as I really want that nike armband

Guess Who

Banned
Yes. The "Now Playing" app does this and will control any audio currently playing on your phone. I regularly listen to podcasts or music with various apps and control it all on the watch. In Watch OS 3 it's available from the new dock (side button tap).

IMG_6192.PNG

The Now Playing app only controls playback. The Music app lets you navigate your phone's music library.

Ristlager

Bought it today :) have not had a watch on my wrist for over 10 years, but the features are to good to pass up for me now. But GPS drains the iPhones battery extremely fast, is there any magic tech in this watch that stops it from blanking out after 5k run?

Extremely disappointed with the lack of options on leather bands now, where the heck did all the colours go for the leather loop?

That said I may well upgrade. The new gps is worth it alone to me.

Thanks. That's great. So there's storage on the watch?

She doesn't need to make calls when running.

This may be of interest to you, it explains how you can go about listening to music on the Watch itself without the phone, and also some of the limitations (i.e. relating to storage of the music playlist, and its size limit): https://support.apple.com/en-ie/HT204691

In short, there's 8GB of internal storage on the Watch, and 2GB can be set for the music playlist (default is 1GB).

Quick question regarding the Nike edition series 2 as I am thinking about buying one but need to know one thing before I commit.

With the original Series 2 watch you have a "non sports" like interface. Its more oriented to normal day use.
The Nike edition watch seems to have the focus on activity and running.

Will the Nike Edition also be able to display the same interface as the Original Series 2 interface "non sports oriented interface" or will I be stuck with the Nike sports/running interface if I buy the nike one?

i really hope I am able to customize the Nike version to be just the same as the original one as I really want that nike armband

I'd be surprised if it isn't like the Apple Watch Hermes in that it comes with it's own unique watch faces but you can switch it to any of the other ones like a normal Apple Watch.

Edit:

Checked on the site and I was right, It's a normal Apple watch with some exclusive watch faces, complications and apps but you can just use it like a normal one if you want to.

SuperPac

The Now Playing app only controls playback. The Music app lets you navigate your phone's music library.

Oh. Yes, that's true too - I don't browse music on the watch much just navigate currently playing playlists or podcasts. And in the Music app you can pick which source it's hitting as well - phone or watch.

IMG_6194.PNG
IMG_6196.PNG
IMG_6197.PNG

Servbot24

Banned
They addressed two of my biggest concerns, waterproofing and GPS.

The main concern left is that I'll look like a giant fucking tool wearing this around. Might be worth it on runs though.

BTails

Ordered two: one for me and one for my wife. As a runner, I'd been waiting for GPS. Better processor, screen and waterproof is a bonus.

I went with the Gold sport with Cocoa band, and my wife went with the Rose Gold with the dark blue band. Very excited for them to arrive in a few weeks!

It's just in the dock. One click and a tap (or maybe swipe too depending on your Dock setup) away. It is slightly more involved to get to than the Glance. But - I think overall the Dock is better than Glances.

i agree. I'd like a Now Playing complication as well.

Lima

My Tag Heuer is 43mm but that's round. Guess I'll go with the 42mm though. Bigger is always good.

bionic77

I am in for series 2.

When possible I try to get in on 2nd gen Apple products.

Just have to figure out which one to get. Not used to having this many options for an Apple product...

How do you guys think the Series 1's upgraded specs might differ from a regular 1st gen Apple Watch?

$269 versus $189....

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Something I've realized today that I haven't seen reported anywhere, and I think is worth pointing out, is that the Apple's watch thickness measurements are deceptive, and in fact downright false. The series 1 watch thickness is in fact 12mm, not 10.5 like they advertise. They flat out do not count the thickness of the black caseback protrusion. I assume that means that series 2 thickness is actually 12.9mm, as the protrusion is still there, on top of the thicker metal case.

subrock

How do you guys think the Series 1's upgraded specs might differ from a regular 1st gen Apple Watch?

$269 versus $189....

Faster CPU, GPU. It's worth $80 imo (based on the fact that the series 0 is slow as shit sometimes. Any improvement is welcome)

$269 versus $189....

We won't know until reviews come in but the original Apple Watch desperately needed a more powerful processor. WatchOS 3 helped but I'd be willing to bet the new processor along with the new OS will make for a much more enjoyable experience.

They addressed two of my biggest concerns, waterproofing and GPS.

The main concern left is that I'll look like a giant fucking tool wearing this around. Might be worth it on runs though.

No one is going to think you look like a tool. It's still an attractive accessory despite the lack of case refresh.

I'd be surprised if it isn't like the Apple Watch Hermes in that it comes with it's own unique watch faces but you can switch it to any of the other ones like a normal Apple Watch.

Edit:

Checked on the site and I was right, It's a normal Apple watch with some exclusive watch faces, complications and apps but you can just use it like a normal one if you want to.

Thank you. I will order one then :)

Ugh I am still pissed I ordered as soon as store went up but my Series 2 preorder won't be fulfilled until 9/26. Very much looking forward to being able to run without a phone again w/ GPS tracking.

Somnid

Faster CPU, GPU. It's worth $80 imo

Those are like the 2 worst reasons to upgrade. Anything useful is glanceable and mostly static, not to mention in order to preserve battery the screen is off 95% of the time. The waterproofing and the GPS are the reason to upgrade if you plan to use it for swimming or detailed run tracking.

For those in the know...Sport Band or Woven Nylon?

The latter looks nicer and costs the same, but in pictures it looks like the material is more absorbent (and therefore harder to clean).

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
For those in the know...Sport Band or Woven Nylon?

The latter looks nicer and costs the same, but in pictures it looks like the material is more absorbent (and therefore harder to clean).
I have both. I would wear the sport band when doing physical activity or anytime I anticipate to be sweating. That's not to say that the woven one can't be washed - it can - but I definitely see how it can collect dirt easily. Woven one is more of a dressy/stylish strap that goes particularly well with an aluminum finish and color options.

Those are like the 2 worst reasons to upgrade. Anything useful is glanceable and mostly static, not to mention in order to preserve battery the screen is off 95% of the time.
Faster CPU is the biggest draw IMO. Series 0 is dog slow whenever you want to do, well almost anything with it. On the other hand it was already waterproofed enough that it could be safely used for swimming, even if it wasn't advertised as such.

Top Bottom