• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Watch Series 1&2 |OT| Better, Wetter

jts

...hate me...
It's not just the glances themselves, but also thought it was faster and more elegant to swipe up and then sideways. Why not stick the dock there? Currently it takes more types of actions and more of them, although it's probably just a matter of getting used to it. But you know, besides that, the control center feels lonely now.

Although as a whole, getting rid of glances definely simplifies the concept of the Watch, and simplifies development as well. Apps (that are iPhone app extensions), + glances + complications was a bit overwhelming.

I have both. I would wear the sport band when doing physical activity or anything I anticipate to be sweating. That's not to say that the woven one can't be washed - it can - but I definitely see how it can collect dirt easily. Woven one is more of a dressy/stylish strap that goes particularly well with an aluminum finish and color options.
Thank you sir, Sport it is~

Roders5

Iwata een bom zal droppen
After pre-ordering one this morning in the uk I just found out someone I know is going to america next friday for a week. Getting one from there instead would save me a fortune. Is there any chance they'll be able to walk into an Apple store while there and buy a stainless steel? Or are these likely to be sold out?

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Ugh I am still pissed I ordered as soon as store went up but my Series 2 preorder won't be fulfilled until 9/26. Very much looking forward to being able to run without a phone again w/ GPS tracking.
That's probably a fake estimate and you'll receive it on 16th. These kind of inflated estimates happen all the time on their site.

After pre-ordering one this morning in the uk I just found out someone I know is going to america next friday for a week. Getting one from there instead would save me a fortune. Is there any chance they'll be able to walk into an Apple store while there and buy a stainless steel? Or are these likely to be sold out?
Last time around, it was pretty easy to walk into the store and buy one. I anticipate to be the same this time around too, unless they really scaled back the manufacturing a lot.

Hoo-doo

Banned
I'm all in on a Series 1 sport. Don't need the GPS that much seeing as I have zero issues taking my phone running, and I don't swim a bunch. Can't beat that price.

Now to decide on a colour. Fuck, that's hard.

For those in the know...Sport Band or Woven Nylon?

The latter looks nicer and costs the same, but in pictures it looks like the material is more absorbent (and therefore harder to clean).

Agreed. I have a couple of both. General day to day wear, the nylon looks nicer. the sport band is better for anything active.

For those in the know...Sport Band or Woven Nylon?

The latter looks nicer and costs the same, but in pictures it looks like the material is more absorbent (and therefore harder to clean).

The sport band is better for working out but I think the woven nylon band is the best looking band Apple makes.

Roders5

Iwata een bom zal droppen
Last time around, it was pretty easy to walk into the store and buy one. I anticipate to be the same this time around too, unless they really scaled back the manufacturing a lot.

Thanks, there might be hope then.

One more question, the series 2 stainless steal is $599 on the american apple site but I'm not sure how the taxes work, what would it cost to buy in an apple store in Washington? For reference here in the UK it works out as roughly $800!

Since this is a new thread and a lot of people are going to be getting the watch for the first time, are there any good beginners guide or list of recommended apps or tips and tricks that should be posted?

Sick life hack.

Only unfortunate thing is sunblock actually stains the sports band. So It looks a little like crap now.

Quick question. Did WatchOS3 change the ability of apps to store more data? Now that I am running only with my watch could I sync podcasts to my actual watch using downcast?

Ordered silver aluminum with the woven nylon strap. Excited to finally get an AppleWatch, and the timing is perfect since my Fitbit HR split in half a week ago.

SuperPac

Since this is a new thread and a lot of people are going to be getting the watch for the first time, are there any good beginners guide or list of recommended apps or tips and tricks that should be posted?

Well, there have been some good guides on previous versions of Watch OS - but not Watch OS 3 so much yet.

Probably the best is iMore's Ultimate Apple Watch Guide - http://www.imore.com/how-set-and-start-using-your-apple-watch

It'll probably get updated for Watch OS 3.

Passed on the Series 2. After a year with the Series 1 sport model, I'm always aware of it when I wear it. It always looks and feels like a gadget on my wrist, not a fashion accessory. I think if they had a finish like the ceramic, I probably would have been more interested. But on top of that, going from a 1 to a 2, I just am not seeing the value proposition.

Barzul

So is the S2 worth it over the S1 if I don't plan to go swimming with it? I know there's the GPS feature but I don't ever go running or hiking without my phone.

Passed on the Series 2. After a year with the Series 1 sport model, I'm always aware of it when I wear it. It always looks and feels like a gadget on my wrist, not a fashion accessory. I think if they had a finish like the ceramic, I probably would have been more interested. But on top of that, going from a 1 to a 2, I just am not seeing the value proposition.

If you don't actively run/workout outdoors and need GPS I would skip as well.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Ordered my Series 2 today. No Series 2 was available for UK before 30 Sept. Nothing for launch day shipping on Apple.com. Crazy.

So which one did I go for? Wasn't an easy decision. In fact, is was really complex. Here's my rationale.

1. Series 2 steel with white sport band - works with my old Link Bracelet. But shit, I already have a white sport band. Now, a Hermes band would be nice instead.

2. Series 2 steel Hermes - looks gorgeous and sophisticated. But shit, this thing is £1200 for the same old design, which will be replaced next year anyway... and I use it mostly for sports anyway.

3. Series 2 aluminum Nike+ - this looks amazing, great for sports. But shit, aluminum looks hideous with my current Link Bracelet, so nope. Stainless steel it is. But with a new band.

4. Series 2 steel with leather band - looks great, and I could have a leather band for just an extra £100. But shit, it's not nearly as nice as the Hermes band. So I'd rather have that.

5. Series 2 steel with white sport band - ok, I'll pretend I don't have two white bands, and can buy a Hermes band later, and hope Nike+ bands become available separately.

So, Series 2 steel 42mm with white sport band is what I ordered.

subrock

Those are like the 2 worst reasons to upgrade. Anything useful is glanceable and mostly static, not to mention in order to preserve battery the screen is off 95% of the time. The waterproofing and the GPS are the reason to upgrade if you plan to use it for swimming or detailed run tracking.

he/she was asking the difference between the series 0 and the series 1

japtor

It's not just the glances themselves, but also thought it was faster and more elegant to swipe up and then sideways. Why not stick the dock there? Currently it takes more types of actions and more of them, although it's probably just a matter of getting used to it. But you know, besides that, the control center feels lonely now.

Although as a whole, getting rid of glances definely simplifies the concept of the Watch, and simplifies development as well. Apps (that are iPhone app extensions), + glances + complications was a bit overwhelming.
A big thing with the dock button vs glances is that you can get to the dock from anywhere, whereas with glances if you were in an app you'd have to switch to the watch face first before bringing up glances. And for the most part app glances were useless cause the (lack of) speed and interaction.

After using OS 3 I do think there should be a Now Playing glance though, it'd also fit right in line with what they're doing in iOS 10 with the Control Center and Music panes.
Presumably things are fine this time around, but Space Black took a few months last time. Kinda wonder if there'll be similar delays for the ceramic one.
I feel like there's two basic ways to approach it: turn everything on and pare down from there, or do the opposite and go minimal and add as you feel like you want this or that function. There's a lot of ways to configure the thing (particularly apps, notification settings, and now the dock) and it can take a while to get it just how you want, and it'll be different for every person.
So is the S2 worth it over the S1 if I don't plan to go swimming with it? I know there's the GPS feature but I don't ever go running or hiking without my phone.
I think my speaker slowly got killed from showering with it. I didn't notice until one day I took a call and could barely hear the other person, and testing out other sounds also revealed how weak it sounded. But otherwise it worked fine...I'd get S2 if you plan on swimming, and even without the GPS remember there's the brighter screen too. I wouldn't say it's necessary, but it'd definitely be helpful in bright conditions.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
They have actual ceramic now, which looks pretty great, but expensive, and IMO, the pearly finished aluminum is the closest you can expect to a ceramic look, without using actual ceramic.

I do worry however that an even thicker Series 2 watch will now look even more like a gadget than S1 already looked. Thinning this design a bit would do wonders for its overall attractiveness, and it's such a shame they went in the opposite direction.

They have actual ceramic now, which looks pretty great, but expensive, and IMO, the pearly finished aluminum is the closest you can expect to a ceramic look, without using actual ceramic.

I do worry however that an even thicker Series 2 watch will now look even more like a gadget than S1 already looked. Thinning this design a bit would do wonders for its overall attractiveness, and it's such a shame they went in the opposite direction.

Until they can improve the quiescent current performance of their SIP/GPS radio they had no choice but to increase the battery size. I imagine we will see a shrink w/ next version (probably no LTE still).

jts

...hate me...
Only unfortunate thing is sunblock actually stains the sports band. So It looks a little like crap now.

Quick question. Did WatchOS3 change the ability of apps to store more data? Now that I am running only with my watch could I sync podcasts to my actual watch using downcast?
Not that has been advertised, no. Seeing how they didn't announce an increase in the flash storage either, I think we won't see many advancements on that front soon.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Is there any word on how you'll actually be able to operate the new Apple Watch when swimming? Because the current one just can't be operated at all when the screen is wet, it won't detect any finger taps. I didn't see anything about updated capacitive tech, it would be pretty silly to have to be dry to start, stop and review swim tracking.

Guess Who

Banned
I don't see why the Watch needs to be much thinner? It's already relatively slim by men's watch standards, with many men's watches pushing 13-15mm thick. It's certainly not so thick it feels like a gadget. Honestly, the thing that makes the Watch Sport look like a gadget is the aluminum and rubber band more than anything else. The steel model with a higher-end band looks much more like a typical watch.

Not that has been advertised, no. Seeing how they didn't announce an increase in the flash storage either, I think we won't see many advancements on that front soon.

Damn, so music only for watch runs. You can basically only sync a single playlist still right?

Is there any word on how you'll actually be able to operate the new Apple Watch when swimming? Because the current one just can;t be operated at all when the screen is wet, it won't detect any finger taps. I didn't see anything about updated capacitive tech, it would be pretty silly to have to be dry to start, stop and review swim tracking.

I imagine you start swim tracking while still dry, swim, then dry off watch and tap to end. You can probably review your progress during swim by flipping wrist.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Until they can improve the quiescent current performance of their SIP/GPS radio they had no choice but to increase the battery size. I imagine we will see a shrink w/ next version (probably no LTE still).
That's why I wish they made the S1 with no GPS use the new screen, so it can be thinner (new screen is thinner than the old one).

I don't see why the Watch needs to be much thinner? It's already relatively slim by men's watch standards, with many men's watches pushing 13-15mm thick. It's certainly not so thick it feels like a gadget. Honestly, the thing that makes the Watch Sport look like a gadget is the aluminum and rubber band more than anything else. The steel model with a higher-end band looks much more like a typical watch.
Well the phone is much thinner, and that's a gadget. Watch looks like a shrunk down, thicker phone design. Apple Watch S1 is actually 12mm thick, S2 will be 12.9mm. Apple's measurement is deceptively worded and false because they don't count black caseback in total thickness. Also, traditional watches hide their thickness far better due to profile being built from multiple shapes and layers. Apple Watch is basically just one, kinda thick, blob. I think S1 with the right strap it looks fine though, but I do worry what an even thicker one will look like.

Damn, so music only for watch runs. You can basically only sync a single playlist still right?
I have several playlists synced on Watch OS2. The limit is only total file size.

If you don't actively run/workout outdoors and need GPS I would skip as well.

Yeah, this Series is very workout focused. I mean, if I was doing laps in the pool every day I'd probably buy in a minute. But I'm not. My primary usage on the Series 1 has been light health tracking + notifications, with occasional Siri use. The CPU + brighter display are positives, but not enough for me to throw down several hundred. When I got the Series 1 I told myself that I'd upgrade to the SS with the next model, but I'm just not feeling it.

Heh yeah that's why I mentioned the ceramic. I don't need bulletproof casing, but I'd like an understated, slightly glossy finish that is like that without spending $1200.

That's why I wish the made the S1 with no GPS use the new screen so it can be thinner (new screen is thinner than the old one).

Yeah but I don't think they could have priced it so low and still kept their ridiculous profit margin/motivation for people to get Series 2. I am curious if screen really does make a difference. I can report back in thread once I get mine.

Yeah, this Series is very workout focused. I mean, if I was doing laps in the pool every day I'd probably buy in a minute. But I'm not. My primary usage on the Series 1 has been light health tracking + notifications, with occasional Siri use. The CPU + brighter display are positives, but not enough for me to throw down several hundred. When I got the Series 1 I told myself that I'd upgrade to the SS with the next model, but I'm just not feeling it.

If I wasn't working out 6x a week outdoors (half marathon training at the moment) I would skip. Your reasoning is good imho.

Any features of the series 2 watch that will only work with the new iPhone 7? I'm keeping my 6S+ and I don't want anything artificially gimped.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Woohoo! New thread! Can't wait for the next year of watch development.

Picked this up for my new black series 1 next week. Love the Milanese bands.

$13 is a hell of a lot cheaper than Apple at $199.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B016JWO0HQ/?tag=neogaf0e-20

#1 best seller and most reviews on Amazon in the smart watch bands section.

I ordered this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0199RKMTI/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I don't know if it is the same as the one you ordered, but i'm surprised how thin and light it is. Also, the magnet really sticks and doesn't loosen up at all.

Main problem is the silver color doesn't look great on my skin. I probably should have ordered the black one, but I didn't want something that was black on black. The red sports band I ordered arrived as well, and I think it looks fine. it looks actually red to me and not pink or orange.

it was this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01AJP367Y/?tag=neogaf0e-20

also, if you're ever worried about buying stuff online from Amazon and are afraid of fake reviews, use http://fakespot.com

Edit: I'm also looking for a cheap modern buckle band. What might look good with a black aluminum watch?

Guess Who

Banned
Well the phone is much thinner, and that's a gadget. Watch looks like a shrunk down, thicker phone design. Apple Watch S1 is actually 12mm thick, S2 will be 12.9mm. Apple's measurement is deceptively worded and false because they don't count black caseback in total thickness. Also, traditional watches hide their thickness far better due to profile being built from multiple shapes and layers. Apple Watch is basically just one, kinda thick, blob. I think S1 with the right strap it looks fine though, but I do worry what an even thicker one will look like.

The phone is thinner, but the phone is also way thinner than most watches, haha. I do think the kinda bulb-y shape of the Watch maybe makes it look bigger than it is, but I also think it looks larger in marketing renders than it does in person. The black ceramic back is also irrelevant to how thick it looks on the wrist, because it presses somewhat into your skin and is completely invisible when worn - it looks like the steel is directly on top of your skin.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Has anyone else been experiencing their watch turning on to a full brightness even in rather dark rooms? To me this has been happening a lot ever since I got it, without any obvious reason. I wonder how bad it will look if/when this starts happening with a screen that's 2x brighter because the original AW screen is already scorching bright at full brightness in a dark room.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
I ordered this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0199RKMTI/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I don't know if it is the same as the one you ordered, but i'm surprised how thin and light it is. Also, the magnet really sticks and doesn't loosen up at all.

Main problem is the silver color doesn't look great on my skin. I probably should have ordered the black one, but I didn't want something that was black on black. The red sports band I ordered arrived as well, and I think it looks fine. it looks actually red to me and not pink or orange.

it was this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01AJP367Y/?tag=neogaf0e-20

also, if you're ever worried about buying stuff online from Amazon and are afraid of fake reviews, use http://fakespot.com

Edit: I'm also looking for a cheap modern buckle band. What might look good with a black aluminum watch?

Whoa. Very cool website. Definitely will put that to good use.
The band I bought has 22% suspicious reviews.

dc89

Ordered my Series 2 today. No Series 2 was available for UK before 30 Sept. Nothing for launch day shipping on Apple.com. Crazy.

So which one did I go for? Wasn't an easy decision. In fact, is was really complex. Here's my rationale.

1. Series 2 steel with white sport band - works with my old Link Bracelet. But shit, I already have a white sport band. Now, a Hermes band would be nice instead.

2. Series 2 steel Hermes - looks gorgeous and sophisticated. But shit, this thing is £1200 for the same old design, which will be replaced next year anyway... and I use it mostly for sports anyway.

3. Series 2 aluminum Nike+ - this looks amazing, great for sports. But shit, aluminum looks hideous with my current Link Bracelet, so nope. Stainless steel it is. But with a new band.

4. Series 2 steel with leather band - looks great, and I could have a leather band for just an extra £100. But shit, it's not nearly as nice as the Hermes band. So I'd rather have that.

5. Series 2 steel with white sport band - ok, I'll pretend I don't have two white bands, and can buy a Hermes band later, and hope Nike+ bands become available separately.

So, Series 2 steel 42mm with white sport band is what I ordered.

I have a 42MM SS Apple Watch and I too got it with the white band. It looks really neat, the white can be a little stark but it can complement black clothes really well. I love it.

Fliesen

initially, i was a bit bummed about the lack of GPS on the first gen AppleWatch, but this has turned out to be a non issue, because. whenever i'm wearing my watch and want to do something that would rely on a GPS signal, i'm carrying my phone with me.
(the only times i'm not carrying my phone, but wearing my watch outdoors would be maybe playing football)

i put the phone in one of these and i don't notice that i'm carrying it.
Also, the watch doesn't have a cell radio, so no spotify. the overcast app is merely a remote and doesn't locally store podcasts either.

So the additional GPS is nice and all, but the fact that gen 2 needs to be even thicker (because a bigger battery is needed to keep battery life the same) i don't have any buyer's remorse whatsoever.
Not feeling the need to take it off when jumping into the pool would definitely be the biggest plus, though.

robotrock

Banned
I am going to post in this thread if it takes over the old Apple Watch thread, but I've decided I'm going to keep using my Stainless Steel Series 0 for the next year.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I am going to post in this thread if it takes over the old Apple Watch said, but I've decided I'm going to keep using my Stainless Steel Series 0 for the next year.
Same. The watch thread was so slow we can't have two.

dc89

Worth noting the Watch Series 1 & 2 now comes with a shorter 1M charging cable.
OG watches came with a 2m cable.

japtor

Whoa. Very cool website. Definitely will put that to good use.
The band I bought has 22% suspicious reviews.
Heh, I wonder how it counts them.

I bought a cable the other day and pretty sure it would've been high on that site, a bunch of the reviews had a note about receiving the item for free or a discount in exchange for a "fair review". It seems pretty common on cheaper tech items with a bunch of high reviews. I figure small companies with cheap stock that want a foothold just send a bunch out...the reviews could be legit (hey my cable seems decent enough) but are probably tainted by being extra cheap for the reviewer.

Also there's the general thing about value, if something is cheap enough (compensated or not) people are willing to forgive issues much more.

Top Bottom