• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT6| We Only Build in Black. And Sometimes Very Dark Grey.

Dropped by a different Target and saw a whole wall of Batman CMF so I had another Treat Yo Self moment because I have zero willpower and got myself CatMan and Eraser Head (I don't know their real names, sorry!!!).

I feel like only Lego-GAF will unferstand when I say this but good god I missed the feel of dat ABS plastic.

I might get myself another Eraser Head and put his pencil topper face on a normal body for my desk at work heheheh

Looks like the Lego Batman movie is getting great reviews.
To the shock of nobody.

Took apart Big Ben.

Second most annoying set to take apart. Nothing will ever beat UCS Imperial Shuttle.
UCS Imperial Shuttle was such a chore to take down. The wings and how they attach to the body especially.

However, I need to take down the Technic Arocs. I feel that will be really annoying to break down.

Looks like the Lego Batman movie is getting great reviews.

98% for critics (from 53 critics so far) on Rotten Tomatoes so far. Will see how it holds up after the opening weekend. When Both critics and audience reviews are inline, you know you have a hit, meh, or stinker.

Grand Emporium is a great looking set, but more love needs to be shown to that Camper Van. That thing is such a tight little truck - along with this one it's the only City set I haven't disassembled:

3221-1.jpg

I wish the Tanker Truck from 76067 was this good.

Bii

Dropped by a different Target and saw a whole wall of Batman CMF so I had another Treat Yo Self moment because I have zero willpower and got myself CatMan and Eraser Head (I don't know their real names, sorry!!!).

I feel like only Lego-GAF will unferstand when I say this but good god I missed the feel of dat ABS plastic.

I might get myself another Eraser Head and put his pencil topper face on a normal body for my desk at work heheheh

I tried feeling for the ones I want and stood there for a good 5 minutes. Only to leave with none because I can't tell what's what. :/

Osahi

My S@H order arrived. Just in time for the Lego Batman Movie, which I'll see tomorrow night.

Got the Arctic Roller, 4 CMF bags and offcourse the polybag with disco batman and tears of batman.

No doubles in the CMF's (which I ordered to have free shipping and the promo), which is great. No figures I really wanted (Glam Metal Batman, Robin, Swim Suit Batman, ...) which is a bit of a shame. I've got two badguys I don't know the name of (the one with the red dome as head and the one with the Mohawk), which are great figures anyway to have in my growing Batman set-up, and I've got Gordon (a bit dull as a figure, especially as I've had him in his Tac-vest from the Scuttler, but still good to have) and The Joker, which I love (his sad face is so good!).

Love Disco batman btw. That golden cape? Brilliant!

Must say, even if I don't really feel the figures I've got, Lego is hitting it out of the park on the figures department with Lego Batman. Great printing and designs...

Overall, a happy man and looking forward to build the AR, which I might do tonight.

R-User!

Osahi

That ship could very well be The Destinys Bounty, but it could just be a cool new pirate ship.

The sets for this line I think are going to be great.

YourPalDavid

Neo Member
Saw the LEGO Batman Movie last week. Loved it.

I wouldn't be surprised if the images for the 2nd wave sets we saw have some characters airbrushed out. E.g the batwing set with Harley Quinn which is lacking in villains compared to other sets.

_Rob_

Out of interest, are and of you guys and gals interested in older sets (pre 2005)? Most of the conversation seems to be revolving around the newer sets (which makes sense of course). So I just wondered how many of us there were here!

Its disappointing how little things like the water, sand, and explosions arent Lego. That's one thing I loved about the Lego movie, literally everything was Lego.

Out of interest, are and of you guys and gals interested in older sets (pre 2005)? Most of the conversation seems to be revolving around the newer sets (which makes sense of course). So I just wondered how many of us there were here!

Loads of interest. I still have all of my sets from 1977 - 1985.

For many in the thread the GE will always stand for Galaxy Explorer, not Grand Emporium.

i love the look of lots of the old one, but I didn't hang on to many of those Adventures sets I loved so much as a kid. if I ever make some MoCs, I'm sure there'll be tons of classic castle influence. it's so expensive to buy anything really old...

i guess I do still have some of the first waves of harry potter lying around though.

I didn't think it would appeal to me much but the Ninjago Movie looks completely fantastic. Also gonna be nice to finally have something as mainstream as a major blockbuster say the word "Nin-jah-goh" so people will stop saying "Ninja-Go" when talking about the franchise. Pet peeve from working at Lego :S

I tried feeling for the ones I want and stood there for a good 5 minutes. Only to leave with none because I can't tell what's what. :/

There are certain small bits to feel for but some are definitely easier than others. I didn't realize that Eraser Head has a 1x1 round tile so I was getting really confused thinking I was feeling Barb Gordon's Bat Signal, even though I could feel the ridged cylinder of Eraser's head. He also has a 2x2 tile but it was hiding somewhere in the bad and I couldn't feel it, glad I figured out his eraser is the round tile.

CatMan was easy because of the claw pieces and his cowl has the [superior] short ears.

Depends on what you mean by older. I had my dark age from 1994-ish to 2012, and from what I've seen, I wasn't missing much most of that time. Late 90's stuff was ridiculous and it went worse and worse. Early Star Wars and Potter wasn't much better. I'm checking some old catalogues now and then and can't find anything I like, up to about 2007 with Café Corner. I can't imagine what made Lego do such an ambitious set at that point, but ever since they've been on point with the D2C releases. 2009 was a crazy year. That's also when minifigures stopped looking like crap.

Hiring designers like Jamie and making a unified graphic design for minifigure prints really, really made a difference. That and getting more interesting licenses. I wouldn't have jumped back in if it wasn't for Lord of the Rings. What they're doing now with Dimensions and Ideas is probably helping a bunch of people rediscover Lego.

But back to the topic, I like what they did in the 80's, but apart from nostalgia and a few precious sets like GE, Black Sea Barracuda, the Futuron monorail and such, it's really not anywhere near what they're doing now. It's like video games. You can pick out a few classics that are actually worth your time today, but new stuff generally blows it out of the water.

Depends on what you mean by older. I had my dark age from 1994-ish to 2012, and from what I've seen, I wasn't missing much most of that time. Late 90's stuff was ridiculous and it went worse and worse. Early Star Wars and Potter wasn't much better. I'm checking some old catalogues now and then and can't find anything I like, up to about 2007 with Café Corner. I can't imagine what made Lego do such an ambitious set at that point, but ever since they've been on point with the D2C releases. 2009 was a crazy year. That's also when minifigures stopped looking like crap.

Hiring designers like Jamie and making a unified graphic design for minifigure prints really, really made a difference. That and getting more interesting licenses. I wouldn't have jumped back in if it wasn't for Lord of the Rings. What they're doing now with Dimensions and Ideas is probably helping a bunch of people rediscover Lego.

But back to the topic, I like what they did in the 80's, but apart from nostalgia and a few precious sets like GE, Black Sea Barracuda, the Futuron monorail and such, it's really not anywhere near what they're doing now. It's like video games. You can pick out a few classics that are actually worth your time today, but new stuff generally blows it out of the water.

All very well said, Siegfried.

My dark ages were 1985 - 2012 so I have 30 years of drought to comb through - but as you say a lot of the love for those sets (and the initial space/castle ones) is nostalgia driven.

Rootbeer

Banned
Hope you are all seeing LEGO Batman Movie this weekend if it's playing in your area!

I'll be seeing it Friday morning I hope. Right after I place my Skuttler order for the polybag promo :)

DonShula

As a kid I was semi-obsessed with Lego in the late 80's and early 90's. Castle, Pirates, and Space were my favorites - never really cared much for the other stuff. I've really only gotten back "into" Lego in the past year with my kids and I've had fun going back to look at some of the sets from my childhood. I may re-buy someday, but there are so many quality sets out right now that the kids are interested in.

Speaking of which, my daughter turns 7 soon and is of course asking for all sorts of Lego stuff. I turned her loose on the website and told her to give me a list of her favorite sets. She came back asking for some obvious stuff like the Disney castle, but also wants (I kid you not) Assembly Square, Artic Roller, Attack on Hoth, and the Death Star. I coached none of that. As much as I'd love to buy her those huge sets, I'd rather she get something she can enjoy assmebling (mostly) herself, instead of watching me put together an age 16+ set.

Saw the Ninjago trailer.

Those Mechs!!! Im sure we'll get toned down set versions, but if they are half as cool I'll have to shift my budget.

I'm not inpressed with the trailer (except for those cool builds). Though I'm not impressed, I am a bit optimistic now that it will be OK.

Osahi

Hope you are all seeing LEGO Batman Movie this weekend if it's playing in your area!

I'll be seeing it Friday morning I hope. Right after I place my Skuttler order for the polybag promo :)

Tomorrow! Just built the amazing Arctic Roller as a warm-up

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Huh. Never been interested in anything Ninjago, but that trailer was fun.

Speaking of which, my daughter turns 7 soon and is of course asking for all sorts of Lego stuff. I turned her loose on the website and told her to give me a list of her favorite sets. She came back asking for some obvious stuff like the Disney castle, but also wants (I kid you not) Assembly Square, Artic Roller, Attack on Hoth, and the Death Star. I coached none of that. As much as I'd love to buy her those huge sets, I'd rather she get something she can enjoy assmebling (mostly) herself, instead of watching me put together an age 16+ set.

Show her the Friends and Elfs lines. Yes, they are targeting the girls with thise lines, but Friends has some really cool buildings and Elfs has dragons! Those sets should ve more suitable for a 7 years old kid.

Hmm. Local seller has a good deal on Palace Cinema and Pet Shop. But those really didn't catch my eye like Fire Brigade did.

I think I'll put that money towards Parisian Restaurant and Assembly Square. (Still on the fence about Detective's office)

ghostmind

PotC BrickHeadz:

e6f7YKt.png

They are totally going the Funko route with this theme...

These are coming in April (March for VIPs) with the D2C set, so that is probably why the calendar references "Exclusive VIP access to sets" on March 17th.

DonShula

Show her the Friends and Elfs lines. Yes, they are targeting the girls with thise lines, but Friends has some really cool buildings and Elfs has dragons! Those sets should ve more suitable for a 7 years old kid.

I got her the Friends Rollercoaster for Christmas and she was able to put a lot of that together herself. I thought the whole Amusement Park theme was pretty cool. Haven't tried Elves yet but I'll look into that.

My 5 year old just did bag 4 of brick bank. Don't underestimate kids.

Ponn

Banned
PotC BrickHeadz:

e6f7YKt.png

They are totally going the Funko route with this theme...

These are coming in April (March for VIPs) with the D2C set, so that is probably why the calendar references "Exclusive VIP access to sets" on March 17th.

Interesting, I can see Jack Sparrow but I wonder if they were required to represent the new movie or if they have more for that theme coming. I would think they would do a Barbosa. At $10 they can totally compete with Funko and Megablocks was doing some interesting ones but just could never fine the damn things. My wish list so far for them is

A Spider-Man line. Not just spidey but Spider-Gwen, Ben Reilly Doc Ock, Green Goblin, J. Jonah, etc.

X-men (never going to happen, maybe, MAYBE Wolverine)

Deadpool, this falls under the X-men not going to happen

Lego Movie

Combine with some Dimensions properties to get BttF,Portal, Sonic, Goonies, etc

Ghostbusters

Star Wars of course

Seasonal ones like a Monsters line for Halloween

JEFFz0mg

Neo Member
Hey all!

Been lurking on here the better part of the last year.

In January 2015 I got back into LEGO for the first time since about 2002 when I bought the Tumbler and it was all downhill from there. I've bought about 30 sets catching up on everything since 2013 that interested me before they were retired or became unreasonably expensive.
I primarily buy Star Wars & Batman, but also great sets like Tower of Orthanc, Disney Castle, Ecto-1, and Scooby Doo.

Sorry for the story, I was wondering what you guys and gals with limited display space do. Do you just rotate out older sets or take them apart and put the pieces back in the boxes?

btw love the OP!

I don't. But different kids may just have different interests. And he was saying that he did not want to try 16+ sets yet with his daughter. Some of the Friends and Elves sets are quite complex too.

Ponn

Banned
Hey all!

In January 2015 I got back into LEGO for the first time since about 2002 when I bought the Tumbler and it was all downhill from there. I've bought about 30 sets catching up on everything since 2013 that interested me before they were retired or became unreasonably expensive.
I primarily buy Star Wars & Batman, but also great sets like Tower of Orthanc, Disney Castle, Ecto-1, and Scooby Doo.

Sorry for the story, I was wondering what you guys and gals with limited display space do. Do you just rotate out older sets or take them apart and put the pieces back in the boxes?

btw love the OP!

Yes its going to pain you but sets will be disassembled and rotated out. You will want to find a storage solution which there are good suggestions already in the op. Shelving is your new friend for displaying your Lego sets. Bookcases and display cases from IKEA or whereever, I got some small shelves for my walls at first to display individual sets but ended up getting some 6 foot long shelves put up, 4 of them and i've already ran out of space again between superhero sets, star wars ships and modulars. It pained me to take apart my last LoTR model which was the theme that got me back into Lego in the first place. The next step is moving into a bigger place with a dedicated Lego room with tables and such.

As much as I'd love to buy her those huge sets, I'd rather she get something she can enjoy assembling (mostly) herself, instead of watching me put together an age 16+ set.

I generally get Princess and Friends set for my 7 year old daughter. My daughter didn't have a problem with it as she's been exposed to Lego since 5 years old.

I've seen an 8 year old struggle with 70127. So it is best to start on the smaller stuff and make sure you guide them along the way as the set gets bigger and more complex.

Some of the Friends and Elves sets are quite complex too.

The statement about complexity is true. I got 41105 for my daughter 2 months back. I was pleasantly surprised by appearance of Technic gears in that set. Great set too btw. A stage that you can rearrange the layout however you like, musical instruments, gears etc.

Hey all!

btw love the OP!
First off, welcome! We are all a bunch of friendly, horrible enablers in here.

As for limited display space, in my old apartment I just got very creative with where I could cram sets. Eventually when that stopped working, I would rotate sets out. Most of the time when a set was taken down, I would just sort the pieces into the collective to use for MOCs later.

However, I now have the opposite problem now. So many sets built and just laying around over the last year or two, and now I have so many sets to disassemble and sort into the collective that it feels never-ending and daunting. I am making progress slowly but surely though. Almost done dismantling Simpson's House. Then to go into the huge backlog of sets I bought on clearance just for parts.

Finally, thank you for liking the OP. Hope it was helpful.

Speaking of which, my daughter turns 7 soon and is of course asking for all sorts of Lego stuff. I turned her loose on the website and told her to give me a list of her favorite sets.

I don't. But different kids may just have different interests. And he was saying that he did not want to try 16+ sets yet with his daughter. Some of the Friends and Elves sets are quite complex too.

Chiaroscuro is spot on with this point. Some kids are incredibly dexterous by 4 years old, and some still struggle at 8. Both my girls (10 and 6) have had issues with some of the finer motions in the past (positioning a 1x1 plate, aligning Technic pins etc) and it absolutely kills their interest in a set when it happens. Making sure that a set is a good fit for their skills is really important.

In terms of the Creator Expert sets, I'd steer the kids clear of them if I were you. Both of my children have tried to help with various modulars over the years and were invariably frustrated. Supa Necta, you've got a prodigy on your hands - nurture that ;)

On another note, if a kid asks to help you with the stickers on your set......

Top Bottom