• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT3 | Playing with our sticks while petting Jaguars!

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Last thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=783345

We're here folks. And damn near three years ago to the day! 20,000 posts have been made. 20,000 testosterone fueled posts, dripping with manly sweat, gasoline, oil, and eventually settled down with coolant. How time has progressed, though. Three years back Jaguar's two best sellers: the F-Pace and XE were respectively a concept and not yet revealed. That's the past though. This isn't Jaguar OT Part 2. We must move on. JLR has established itself and are selling close to 10K cars per month, behind the likes of Infiniti and Acura, up from just 3000 cars back in 2014. And they haven't reached their final form yet.

Likewise, they've established themselves as the greatest car company in the world today.

tenor.gif

jaguar-british.jpg

Let's talk German.

Back then entry level Porsches were still powered by naturally aspirated motors, and man...so much has changed. Evo was still driving a lowly Cayman GTS before getting a GT4 before GT4s were miraculously matched and outclassed by a standard Cayman S today. Lost? The cheaper 718 Cayman S is leagues faster in the straights, and still goes toe-to-toe with a GT4 on a track. What's going on here? No one knows. But this thing is cool:

porsche-718-cayman-image.jpg

Porsche released a 911R. A track bred monster in extremely limited capacity that made it into the hands of no one but 918 owners who were reselling them for 5x their markups. It boasted a NA 4.0L 500HP motor, with a 6MT. Everybody wanted them. No one got them. And the original owners made filthy amounts of money re-selling them.

But then Porsche announced:

The 2018 Porsche 911 GT3.
2018-porsche-911-gt3-1_0.jpg

...and delivered an angel. A NA 4.0L 500HP motor, with a 6MT for $140K. You guys hear that? No, not the excitement. The sound of those who purchased resold 911Rs for $300K, $400K, and $500K bashing their cars with baseball bats to claim the insurance on their worthless asset. What's going on here? No one knows. But give Porsche enough time, and they'll make you regret your massive purchase soon enough.

What else?

Well, the Geneva Motor Show overnight became the best motoring show in the world. New McLaren 720S? New Lamborghini Huracan Performante? A new fucking Alpine!?! Yep.

landscape-1488824127-465728.jpg

mclaren-720s-leaked-ahead-of-2017-geneva-auto-show-debut_100593934_l.jpg

articleLeadwide-2017-alpine-a110guszk7.jpg

Oh and to round things out:

BMW is still a former shelf of itself.
Alfa-Romeo Giulia Four Leaf Clover is killing the competition with its Ferrari based assembly.
And Mercedes is just cloning their cars at this point without even half a fuck to give. Your $90,000 S-Class looks like a peasant's $38,000 C-Class. Deal with it.

Welcome to OT3.

Oh hell yes! I'm also taking this opportunity to post my car on the first page! Muhaha.

Here's to another 20.000 posts!

porsche4lzjpp.jpg

GHG

Gold Member
Wait the new Cayman S, as in the 4 pot version, is as fast as the GT4 in a straight line? What in the world...

They're going to chop all our dicks
I mean cylinders
off aren't they :(

Dude, I totally respect you for this. I would love to be in the position where I could do something like this but for now I must live vicariously through folks like yourself.

I'm getting some bad flashbacks here. I think I need a moment....

Haha, you and I have both felt the "BMW burn" haven't we? My nature is to want to keep a car and nurture it and love it, applying appropriate maintenance and repair when necessary. But with BMW, oh man, that experience left me feeling abused and frazzled. Too many parts breaking well before the 100,000 mile mark that you wouldn't have issues with on other brands. The only BMW I will consider owning again is a new'ish one with a full warranty.

My experience with owning a BMW out of warranty drove me to doing something I once swore off ever doing - buying a brand new car. But, man it feels good to know there's no previous owner who might have treated the car badly along with the fact that I can just simply enjoy it knowing that if something goes wrong during the period I own it they are going to foot the bill.

AlphaSnake

Wait the new Cayman S, as in the 4 pot version, is as fast as the GT4 in a straight line? What in the world...

I mean cylinders

My experience with owning a BMW out of warranty drove me to doing something I once swore off ever doing - buying a brand new car. But, man it feels good to know there's no previous owner who might have treated the car badly along with the fact that I can just simply enjoy it knowing that if something goes wrong during the period I own it they are going to foot the bill.

120MPH in a 1/4 mile. It's stupidly quick for a tiny little thing like that.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
First page!

The good news about the Mercedes (and Audi tbh) line cloning is that poors can have an s class or an a8.

I have a great eye for car lines but I can barely tell the e and c class apart. And same goes for a3 thru 6 unless I see the profile.

burgerdog

$140k for the GT3 is crazy and it's a going to be a "regular" production car, right? So you don't need to have connections in order to get one.

kharma45

First page!

The good news about the Mercedes (and Audi tbh) line cloning is that poors can have an s class or an a8.

I have a great eye for car lines but I can barely tell the e and c class apart. And same goes for a3 thru 6 unless I see the profile.

Audi I find easy enough as the DRLs are a different style. Mercedes though I do find hard with the E and C from the outside at a glance

Anion

Man I cannot wait for my Snapchat spectacles to come in. I just wanna see how the POV camera is for driving. Might be kinda neat for this

Also, screw this weather. Can't choose between mounting summer wheels or keeping my winter setup for another week cause the forecast keeps changing drastically lmao

J-Rzez

Also, screw this weather. Can't choose between mounting summer wheels or keeping my winter setup for another week cause the forecast keeps changing drastically lmao

Same. 54 today, severe snow showers this weekend. Only solution, remove more catalytic converters to speed up global warming.

Zyzyxxz

I mean cylinders

With the way things are going at least we still have cylinders to appreciate.

Bandit1

I'm loving that new Alpine A110...

But wanted to get some American Muscle in on the first page, and figured what the heck, might as well post my own.

4968294709_39402e0f25_b.jpg

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Audi I find easy enough as the DRLs are a different style. Mercedes though I do find hard with the E and C from the outside at a glance

I use the taillights for id, but sometimes the A3 completely throws me, even at 3/4 angle.

Evo X

Quick correction to the OP. I think when I first started posting in OT2 I was actually driving a Pre owned 987.2 Boxster S in old man midnight blue on beige combo that I got a good deal on.

Subsequently after driving the entire range in the coming years and hundreds of posts shilling for Porsche, I now work for them. Lol

Funny where life takes you.

TylerD

WHAT'S THAT I CAN'T HEAR YOU OVER MY KICKING RAD PORSH-UH

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhWPfONFbnk

<3 Sound is so good! <3

Happy OT3 everybody!

Finally...

2018 Volvo XC60

https://www.netcarshow.com/volvo/2018-xc60/1280x960/wallpaper_01.htm

Volvo-XC60-2018-800-01.jpg

Volvo-XC60-2018-800-19.jpg

Volvo-XC60-2018-800-22.jpg

I really think it looks great.

My future fiance (I'm proposing next week) still wants a 2015 GLK with lighting and AMG packages though. I was pleased to see it do so well in the JD Power study.

In other news, our parent company is kicking us to the curb and closing our doors next year. They are offering me a year salary minus taxes to stay until the end (06/30/2018) or until the last customer is gone. Found this out 15 minutes after I found out that my girlfriend accepted her job offer.

I might take a mini retirement to dick around with my car and "do me" while finishing up some training and being picky looking for my next job. Looking forward to the possibilities!

No Love

Banned
<3 Sound is so good! <3

Happy OT3 everybody!

Finally...

2018 Volvo XC60

https://www.netcarshow.com/volvo/2018-xc60/1280x960/wallpaper_01.htm

Volvo-XC60-2018-800-01.jpg

Volvo-XC60-2018-800-19.jpg

Volvo-XC60-2018-800-22.jpg

I really think it looks great.

My future fiance (I'm proposing next week) still wants a 2015 GLK with lighting and AMG packages though. I was pleased to see it do so well in the JD Power study.

In other news, our parent company is kicking us to the curb and closing our doors next year. They are offering me a year salary minus taxes to stay until the end (06/30/2018) or until the last customer is gone. Found this out 15 minutes after I found out that my girlfriend accepted her job offer.

I might take a mini retirement to dick around with my car and "do me" while finishing up some training and being picky looking for my next job. Looking forward to the possibilities!

Congrats Tyler! And uncongrats on the job problems. :/

TylerD

Congrats Tyler! And uncongrats on the job problems. :/

Thanks man! I'm not really worried about the job problems. Was already saving for a house down payment, will be debt free in 5-6 months, my monthly burn rate is going to be super low. She is very supportive of me taking my time to look for another job if I need it.

Hopefully she says yes...to the XC60 instead of the GLK!

I know right? She was all about it until I reminded her of the GLK and now it's like she has blinders on. She said the back of the 18 XC60 looks her mom's 10' Venza :O... She's just totally against the typical "crossover" shape now. Not even the F-Pace or Macan will sway her!

Think it's a pretty direct reference to what the standard upholstery in a 964 looked like back in the day. At least, I once drove one that had that pattern in green.

In the time of the last thread, I went from driving a '04 Nissan Frontier XE to a '17 Subaru WRX.

By the time this thread is over, I plan on being in an '18 or '19 Subaru STi.

In the time of the last thread, I went from driving a '04 Nissan Frontier XE to a '17 Subaru WRX.

Nice. I'd say thats a good improvement.

In the time of the last thread I sold my pos mercedes and bought a 98 volvo. Unfortunately I also went from having 3 running cars to now 1.

By the time this thread is over I'm hoping to not have a shitty job and actually have time to fix my cars.

Smokey

yoo the mercedes bit is true

i saw an E class the other day and was legit startled that it wasn't a S when i got closer

fuk are they doing

J-Rzez

Out of curiosity, instead of getting a 19, wouldn't you rather wait for the 2020 revision and hopefully they update the chassis and especially motor?

1st page OT3!

Posting my Miata because Miata Is Always The Answer.

Thread title made me lol but I gotta admit, OT2's title was ridiculously succinct it's kinda hard to top it lol.

Futaba

New Evo 9 or what? How's the AYC doing?
Nah not mine (yet) a friends who's trying to sell it to me for my wife, went to stretch its legs a bit last night after an uneventful day (will post about it later), lots of fun, might even buy it, didn't notice anything untoward re:ayc, seemed to be working just fine

AlphaSnake

I suppose I'll get in on the fun too:

In OT2 I was driving a 2012 Jaguar XF and a 2010 370Z, which I traded for my 2013 M56S shortly after.

And of course going into OT3 I'm in a 2016 Jag XF and 2012 Jag XKR.

1st page OT3!

Posting my Miata because Miata Is Always The Answer.

Thread title made me lol but I gotta admit, OT2's title was ridiculously succinct it's kinda hard to top it lol.

Hahaha. No more GT86 bashing, since pretty much everyone here sold and replaced theirs.

I wanted to crack on Porsche, but felt like this thread was better off with an ambiguously furry-esque title, instead.

I also love the Kurt Angle milk smash gif. LMAO.

Futaba

So, the Ferrari 308! - As mentioned in the last OT, been on at the owner over email for the last few years on and off about selling it, last weekend he finally caved and we promptly arranged for me to drive down and check it over, which was supposed to be yesterday (Thursday), it's a roughly 450km drive, which on the toll roads is about 6 hours of driving depending on traffic, so I set off at 8am, hoping to arrive there around 2pm, ended up arriving at 3pm because a huge section of the expressway in Aichi was moving really slowly.

I rock up to the door and ring the bell and get no answer, call his phone - no answer, alright cool he may just be out getting groceries or on a train/bus someplace, i'll wait - so I go chill in my car and wait, gets to 4pm and i'm pretty pissy at this point, only got around an hour and change of light left and the dense foliage near to his garage makes it already kinda dark there, so I try his phone again, still no answer, give up and go try to snap some pics of it at the very least and the garage doors locked tight, around about this point my wife calls to tell me a friend of ours wants to meet up about selling their car that evening, so I reluctantly give up, hop in the car and hit the nearest gas station to top up, just as i'm pulling out of the gas station my phone pings and it's an email from the guy saying hes changed his mind and doesn't want to sell it anymore.

So the whole drive home i'm thinking, was the dude home the whole time and just not answering because he changed his mind and didn't want to deal with saying so face to face?, i'm a pretty chill guy so if he had just come out, had a look around the car with me and just outright said look im sorry but ive changed my mind, sorry for dragging you all the way out here, i'd be bummed still but at least i'd have the respect of being told it face to face, hiding behind your sofa and hoping the situation passes is just.. lame as hell.

Ended up back home around 11pm, whole day wasted, meet up with friend shortly after and hoon his evo 9 around the roof of a parking garage for a while, then took it up into the Dakenodai mountain pass for some extra fun (one of my favorite runs and the nicest mountain run within a short distance of Tokyo), think the car was excellent on the mountain but a little rough on standard roads, wifes interested to the point that shes currently sat behind me looking up pricing on performance parts (oh god what have I done).

So all in all a shitty day with a huge headache (thanks, tools bouncing around the entire time) that ended fairly nicely, but Evo 9's need some quad rally lights for nightime mountain runs, that's for damn sure. It's a shame about the 308 though, Was quite willing to pay the man there and then and get it on the back of a trailer the same day if it was in decent condition, hell even joked with my wife about being prepared to grow a tom selleck stache and wear a hawaiian shirt to complete the package.
Here's hoping he changes his mind and/or fixes it himself before the thing is lost to time.

If any of you find yourselves up in the Tokyo area with access to a car I wholeheartedly recommend route 70 mountain pass north of Hadano.

GHG

Gold Member
With the way things are going at least we still have cylinders to appreciate.

It's at times like this I'm thankful for what the likes of Dodge and Chevy are still doing. Murica.

On a related note I was a bit naughty this morning and opened the Charger up all the way to redline on the highway. Everything they say about the difference between the sound of an NA V8 and a turbo V8 is true. The sound is just much more intense and raw. Probably gonna do the mid muffler delete on it soon but will keep the rear resonators on. I want more noise but don't want drone so I think I'll just do that so see how it sounds and whether I like it since it's a simple low cost mod. If I end up hating it I can always easily reverse it or put some glasspacks on instead.

First page!

yoo the mercedes bit is true

i saw an E class the other day and was legit startled that it wasn't a S when i got closer

fuk are they doing

Well... You guys know what the solution to the Mercedes "problem" is don't you? Get the S class coupe or don't bother. I still think they are the best looking cars on the road. So classy.

Hahaha. No more GT86 bashing, since pretty much everyone here sold and replaced theirs.

I wanted to crack on Porsche, but felt like this thread was better off with an ambiguously furry-esque title, instead.

I also love the Kurt Angle milk smash gif. LMAO.

That's a shame about the GT86 tbh. I'm actually starting to warm up to it right now... prices for a used/CPO BRZ is pretty damn appealing.

I'm struggling to come up with a quip for Porsche's tbh. It's not that their perfect, a lot of P-car jokes would just fly over most people's head imo.

Non millionaire super car GAF:

Mazda RF
Fiat 124 Abarth
Mustang eco boost?

Which one you like better?

I think you already know what I'm going to say lolol.

That said, if I was wanting more performance... then obviously the Ecoboost would be the best choice.

But if power isn't your thing at all, then yes, go for the RF. That thing is gorgeous in person.

The Fiata isn't a bad thing either, but I'd only really recommend it if you want a turbo but don't want a lot of power... which as you can see is kind of a redundant idea.

Top Bottom