• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 7 - Sundays on HBO

NeoGiff

Another observation I've made whilst going back through season 6 is that a whole assortment of characters now say the word "murder" rather than "kill". I don't remember that word being said much in previous seasons.

Speevy

Banned
Another observation I've made whilst going back through season 6 is that a whole assortment of characters now say the word "murder" rather than "kill". I don't remember that word being said much in previous seasons.

Let's go up the hill to fetch a pail of water.

maxresdefault.jpg

Euron was so lame last season. There's no makeover they could give him that would make me give two fucks about this character that felt like some shoved-in-at-the-last-minute shit.
C'mon. I'm pretty sure a "sexier close-cropped style and swaggering black robes" can redeem him. You can't spell badass without "swaggering black robes" plus an extra d...or something.

Burt

I quite like the lad. :)

Heh. I miss him. Thought he played a good foil for Reynold's Deadpool.

Of course, Daario 2.0 actually looks the part of Euron.

Ehhh... I can't shake the feeling that he looks like he should be playing the captain of the ship the main character stows away on in a PG-rated pirate movie. Like, Cutthroat Island seems like it would have too much edge for that guy.

Turin

Banned
Ehhh... I can't shake the feeling that he looks like he should be playing the captain of the ship the main character stows away on in a PG-rated pirate movie. Like, Cutthroat Island seems like it would have too much edge for that guy.

Wait, which one? lol

I don't think Daario 2(I really should just look up his name) is a very good actor and probably wouldn't have anything to draw on if playing Euron. But he does look the part physically.

Burt

Wait, which one? lol

I don't think Daario 2(I really should just look up his name) is a very good actor and probably wouldn't have anything to draw on if playing Euron. But he does look the part.

Ah, sorry, yeah, Daario 2.

daario-game-of-thrones.jpg

On the Official Malcolm McDowell Ability to Project Danger and Menace Scale

he's somewhere in the Brendan Fraser decile.

Gigglepoo

I really do wonder what Euron's role is going to be. They didn't have to add him last season so he must do something important that another character couldn't have filled in for but I'm not quite sure what it could be. Unless the writers just thought it was implausible for Asha to partner with Cercei?

Moff

The Ringer: The Definitive ‘Game of Thrones' Episode Rankings

Certainly not "definitive" in any objective sense, but I agree with their very top and rock bottom picks.

great top 10, season 6, 4 and 1 are clearly the best.

He doesn't have a horn, though. And did he go to all those crazy places in Essos in the show? I don't remember...

he has a season to find it, I don't doubt the wall will fall in the finale, by euron

speaking of the few things we book readers still know, I wonder if Jaqen will murder Sam and Gilly

Crispy75

Wait, which one? lol

I don't think Daario 2(I really should just look up his name) is a very good actor and probably wouldn't have anything to draw on if playing Euron. But he does look the part physically.
He reminds me of that even softer-edged "rogue" character in Babylon 5 who couldn't intimidate a nervous kitten.

Turin

Banned
I'm looking forward to seeing more of the Citadel. They probably won't do much with it but I remember enjoying the setting on the page.

The Ringer: The Definitive ‘Game of Thrones’ Episode Rankings

Certainly not "definitive" in any objective sense, but I agree with their very top and rock bottom picks.

I wouldn't agree about the number 1 pick. It was very good but I was a bit sour on Jon's development(or lack thereof) and The Tower of Joy scene didn't match my fantasizing about it.

Ah, sorry, yeah, Daario 2.

daario-game-of-thrones.jpg

On the Official Malcolm McDowell Ability to Project Danger and Menace Scale

he's somewhere in the Brendan Fraser decile.

He reminds me of that even softer-edged "rogue" character in Babylon 5 who couldn't intimidate a nervous kitten.

I don't disagree in that regard. lol

- Time interview: Game of Thrones Creators David Benioff and D.B. Weiss: ‘We Know What Happens in Each Scene’ of Season 8
Did you know in season 2 where the story was going to end up?

WEISS: When did we meet with George [series author R.R. Martin] in Santa Fe?

BENIOFF: It was before season 3 wasn’t it?

WEISS: It was when we were getting the track that the Hold Steady did, their studio version of "The Bear and the Maiden Fair." It was between season 2 and season 3.

BENIOFF: That’s when we started talking to George and he was giving us a sense of things he was working on that were to come, that’s when he told us about the Hodor backstory, and endgame stuff. He had some great stuff that he could share with us, like the Hodor thing, but a lot of it, he wasn’t sure yet, because he was writing, and he discovers things by writing. For us as TV writer-producers, we have to be architects. Everything has to be planned out really far in advance. And for us, we can’t say we’re going to stop and figure things out for a couple years. We know we have to have a season every year, pretty much. We knew we were barreling towards an ending, because we knew from the start the show would run seven or eight years.

WEISS: There were some details that were added later — but pretty much the actual endgame, the main climactic moments, we had in mind then. We had ninety percent of this crucial chunk of the story for the final season, and we were mainly talking to George to see how our notion of where things ended up jibed with his notion.

It must just be a different show to make when people haven’t read the story on the page — as had originally been the idea.

WEISS: In some ways, it’s terrifying because you’re operating, initially, with this amazing structure that he’s given you — especially having so much else to figure out in terms of the two of us never having produced a television show. It’s scary on the one hand to not have that to fall back on. In other ways, it’s liberating because it narrows your focus to a more normal development process and we’ve spent so much time with the characters, the story, and the world.

To what degree do you feel it needs to be perfectly congruent with the vision of the endgame of the novels that Martin presented to you?

BENIOFF: It’s already too late for that. We’re already well past the point of it jibing 100 percent. We’ve passed George and that’s something that George always worried about — the show catching up and ultimately passing him — but the good thing about us diverging at this point is that George’s books will still be a surprise for readers who have seen the show. Certain things that we learned from George way back in that meeting in Santa Fe are going to happen on the show, but certain things won’t. And there’s certain things where George didn’t know what was going to happen, so we’re going to find them out for the first time too, along with millions of readers when we read those books. Some people wish we would wait until the books were finished to finish the show, but George works on his own schedule, which is the way any good writer should do it. He shouldn’t be beholden to a TV schedule to finish his novels, that would be completely artificial and would not serve him well. But we do have these actors and they’re getting older, and we have to finish.

WEISS: To have a 35-year-old Arya Stark wandering the countryside somehow doesn’t quite feel the same. But it’s always been something from the beginning where we knew the show needs to work as a show. It needs to make sense to somebody who is not familiar with the books and there are places, ways in which sticking to the chapter and verse of the books would make that impossible. The books have a different carrying capacity for information than television does. This is not based on data, just on instinct: We have, almost certainly, the largest cast that has ever been in television, in terms of the sheer number of recurring characters you have that stay in the story for long periods of time. And it’s a fraction of the characters that exist in George’s books. We’re right up at the outward bound of what’s feasible in a television show, that still makes sense to people and still allows for enough emotional connection and investment in these characters.
How did the budget increase — gradually or all at once?

WEISS: It was gradual. There’s never a blank check policy. As nice as it would be in the moment to say yes, you can have in season 2 whatever you want… in season 2 that would feel great, but we knew rationally that if that happens, the show becomes non-viable. It becomes too big to really continue to exist. We, the show and HBO were all on the same page of wanting to do the story justice visually and also wanting the show to remain a going concern through to the end, so we’ve been very good and responsible about making tough choices and cutting things that it would be fun to have in there.

In the first season, there was a battle that we would have loved to have had where Tyrion was going to be behind the Mountain and you would only see the battle from Tyrion’s perspective with the Mountain blocking eighty percent of his field of vision for most of the fight. It would have been great — Alan Taylor had a shooting plan for it that would have made for a great sequence. And at the end of the day we got to those days were coming up and we said those are three shooting days we can’t afford. So we and Alan sat down together and figured out a different way to approach that battle. It was a tough choice but we’ve learned how to be very economical about the shots that we’re getting and the way we’re shooting sequences.
More via the link.

Moff

35 year old arya stark...
he is certainly not optimistic about GRRM finishing the novels anytime soon

Least hyped I've ever been for a season of GoT.

Despite season 6 being a monumental improvement from season 5 i still found it largely 'decent outside of a few spectacular (The Door, BoTB, season finale) and some terrible (whichever episode the sand snakes murdered the king of dorne, all the arya shit).

I'm hoping there are some surprises but I'm willing to bet most of us could guess the outline of the plot for the season and close to right.

I just want the last two books man. I want to see what really becomes of Stannis :(

Top Bottom