• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK DISCUSSION* |OT2| Season 7 - [Read the OP]

untitle41d-3fskc3.png
Note: Any leak discussion is prohibited in the thread and bannable. This includes linking to sources, vague hints, posting spoilers outright, etc... Find somewhere else on the internet to have this conversation if it appeals to you.

Game of Thrones is a television series on HBO based on the bestselling A Song of Ice and Fire series by George R.R. Martin. Game of Thrones is an epic, high fantasy series about the fight for control of Westeros which was inspired by The War of the Roses in medieval Europe. Though it's been labeled as fantasy, Game of Thrones is more about the struggle for power and family dynamics than it is about typical fantasy tropes like magic and elves. As co-producer and writer David Benioff put it: “If you have to just pick one word to describe it, it’s the word ‘power’ and how it affects those who are pursuing it, and how those who already have it try to retain it, and how those who are caught in the crossfire between the two are mutilated in the process.” In addition to complex characters living in a well thought out and developed world, the story boasts plenty of violence, sex, and other adult oriented content.

The seventh season premieres Sunday, July 16th at 9PM on HBO. Season 7, which will consist of 7 episodes, will be followed by a 6 episode final season to conclude the series. HBO is also working on a variety of spinoff ideas, but those will not enter production until after GoT finishes.

HBO’s Press Release:
HBO said:
Summers span decades. Winters can last a lifetime. And the struggle for the Iron Throne continues.

It stretches from the south, where heat breeds plots, lusts and intrigues, to the vast and savage eastern lands, where a young queen raises an army. All the while, in the frozen north, an 800-foot wall of ice precariously protects the war-ravaged kingdom from the dark forces that lie beyond. Kings and queens, knights and renegades, liars, lords and honest men...all play the 'Game of Thrones.'

An original series based on George R.R. Martin's best-selling 'A Song of Ice and Fire' series.

castcrew61qu3.png

Main cast:
(Note that this cast list is from Wikipedia, so there may be inaccuracies. HBO neglected to release an official one)
0c8Jlyj.png
1PaqoOH.png
pwZEqmJ.png
i28NuLi.jpg
OFPuGY2.png
9uP4YS4.png

Peter Dinklage as Tyrion Lannister, Nikolaj Coster-Waldau as Jaime Lannister, Lena Headey as Cersei Lannister, Kit Harington as Jon Snow, Emilia Clarke as Daenerys Targaryen, Aidan Gillen as Petyr "Littlefinger" Baelish

hPnEjtU.png
dTM9nbW.png
vfCRrWD.png
ZqUs4Td.png
W2G3c3R.png
OITb8Yj.jpg

Liam Cunningham as Davos Seaworth, Carice van Houten as Melisandre, Indira Varma as Ellaria Sand, Sophie Turner as Sansa Stark, Nathalie Emmanuel as Missandei, Rory McCann as Sandor "The Hound" Clegane

l2NNsGD.png
QeaBDXk.png
bySE46C.png
ZOEr3sH.png
It7497C.png
BcsLYB1.png

Maisie Williams as Arya Stark, Conleth Hill as Varys, Alfie Allen as Theon Greyjoy, John Bradley as Samwell Tarly, Gwendoline Christie as Brienne of Tarth, Kristofer Hivju as Tormund Giantsbane,

AFwziEL.png
Jav1J3M.png
4bCsg0H.png
uJWThqM.jpg.jpg

Isaac Hempstead Wright as Bran Stark, Jerome Flynn as Bronn, Iain Glen as Jorah Mormont, Hannah Murray as Gilly

Guest cast:
Jacob Anderson as Grey Worm, Pilou Asbæk as Euron Greyjoy, Hafþór Júlíus Björnsson as Gregor Clegane, Jim Broadbent as Archmaester Marwyn, Ben Crompton as Eddison Tollett, Richard Dormer as Beric Dondarrion

Vladimir Furdik as the Night King, Mark Gatiss as Tycho Nestoris, Josephine Gillan as Marei, Jessica Henwick as Nymeria Sand, Tom Hopper as Dickon Tarly, Paul Kaye as Thoros of Myr

Ellie Kendrick as Meera Reed, Rosabell Laurenti Sellers as Tyene Sand, Anton Lesser as Qyburn, Tim McInnerny as Robett Glover, Megan Parkinson as Alys Karstark, Daniel Portman as Podrick Payne

Bella Ramsey as Lyanna Mormont, Diana Rigg as Olenna Tyrell, Richard Rycroft as Maester Wolkan, Rupert Vansittart as Yohn Royce, Gemma Whelan as Yara Greyjoy

schedule0pqnn.png
Game of Thrones returns for its seventh season on July 16th, 2017. The season will consist of 7 episodes and they will air each Sunday at 9PM.

Episodes
701: Dragonstone (Written by David Benioff & D. B. Weiss, Directed by Jeremy Podeswa, 59 min runtime)
702: Stormborn (Written by Bryan Cogman, Directed by Mark Mylod, 59 min runtime)
703: The Queen's Justice (Written by David Benioff & D. B. Weiss, Directed by Mark Mylod, 63 min runtime)
704: TBA (Written by TBA, Directed by Matt Shakman, 50 min runtime)
705: TBA (Written by TBA, Directed by Matt Shakman, 59 min runtime)
706: TBA (Written TBA, Directed by Alan Taylor, 71 min runtime)
707: TBA (Written TBA, Directed by Jeremy Podeswa, 81 min runtime)​

videosj5onk.png

resources9epmk.png

Brief FAQ:
1. Why are there only 7 episodes this season and 6 episodes for the final season?

The scope and scale of the show has increased significantly from where things began, and they don't have the time, money, and other resources to produce more episodes in a year. After Season 6, Benioff and Weiss felt that 13 episodes would be enough to conclude the story, and crafting 7 one year and 6 the next fit the production timeline that they could achieve. Keep in mind that the episodes in season 7 are going to be longer than average, and the 7th episode of will be 81 minutes long.

2. What's going on with the spinoffs on HBO?

HBO has five potential Game of Thrones spinoffs in the very early stages of development. They're currently fleshing out ideas and beginning to work on pilot scripts. They won't make all five of them - it's likely that only one or two will see the air, and HBO is going to finish GoT well before any of these premiere. There's a lot more information in this thread.

3. Why do we still have two threads for the tv show when the show material is past what has happened in the books?

The two communities (non-book readers and book readers) have developed separately and served different purposes over the years. The book readers thread involves A LOT of book discussion, and the two communities don't play well together, generally speaking. For this reason, we've decided to continue to keep the two of them separate as the show finishes up over the next couple of years.​

onspoilersoopar.png
- ABSOLUTELY NO BOOK DISCUSSION. It doesn't matter if it's under spoiler tags, book discussion should not be in this thread. Use the other thread for book-related television discussion. This includes alluding to things, subtle hinting, comparing the books to the show, etc...

- Regular TV thread rules apply:
  • Once something airs in the US on the East Coast, it's fair game. Feel free to discuss anything that has aired without using spoiler tags.
  • Anything that hasn't aired yet should be spoiler tagged including information from HBO previews, loglines, trailers, interviews, and a few other places.
  • Speculation from people that haven't read the books is fine and encouraged.
- For the book readers that want to lurk in this thread:
  • No taunting or teasing:
    e.g. "Oh, just wait until you guys see what happens to him next week!!!"
  • No leading questions:
    e.g. "What do you think will happen to this character by the end of the season?"
  • No comparing the book to the show:
    e.g. "Well, that's different than in the book where they..."
  • Answering questions is fine when the information is readily available from what has aired on the show.
    e.g. Q: "Wait, how is Robb related to Ned?" A: "Robb is Ned's son."

The bottom line is that this thread was created for people that haven't read the books to enjoy and discuss the television show. Keep their interests in mind and let them enjoy the show on their own terms without constantly pestering them. In general, there isn't a good reason for book readers to post in this thread. Thanks for your help. I strongly recommend that you subscribe to the appropriate thread and use your subscriptions page to visit the thread.

Note: Any leak discussion is prohibited in the thread and bannable. This includes linking to sources, vague hints, posting spoilers outright, etc... Find somewhere else on the internet to have this conversation if it appeals to you.

summaryt6oyd.png
  • The season starts on July 16th at 9PM, and will continue each Sunday after for 7 episodes.
  • Season 8 will consist of 6 episodes and conclude the series in 2018 and/or 2019.
  • Any leak or book discussion is bannable.
  • Special thanks to TheOddOne for working on the banners and to Steelyuhas for years of making quality OTs for the series

Jackpot

Banned
Continuation:

Macka said:
I thought during the episode while the plan was vague that they were meaning taking a Lannister rep on a dragon ride North to see for themselves

Hey........ that would make much more sense.

All I know is, the show literally has no sense of time anymore. People just show up as if it's just next door in every scene. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the show and progression, but there is just too much "I'm here now!" in almost ever scene.

Fast travels have been happening since the show started.

It's just now one episode could span months hence a lot of jumps.

I honestly don't see the problem.

Macka

Continuing:

It's not silly.

Cersei's aid isn't optional. They need her to marshal her remaining soldiers and the rest of the realm still beholden to her rule to confront this threat, otherwise all of Westeros is doomed.
It is silly. It's another contrived stall tactic by the writers to justify Cersei's continued existence.

It's ridiculous on so many levels. What changed between last episode and now? Dany was literally just complaining that Cersei was winning the war and that she needed to start conquering with her Dragons. She just had a major victory too. Usually you don't give your enemy tons of time to reconsolidate. Was it Bran's letter that changed Dany's mind? Why does his word mean more than Jon's? Tyrion would know that Cersei would never seriously consider honoring a truce on top of all of that.

Not to mention that the plan is really stupid and unnecessarily dangerous in general. They're sending an extremely small force North to capture a White Walker. So that they can show it to Cersei and...have a proper truce? Really? I thought during the episode while the plan was vague that they were meaning taking a Lannister rep on a dragon ride North to see for themselves, but that would make way too much more sense. Plus Jon has SEEN the White Walker army. There's usually no stragglers. How the hell are the gonna walk up to the horde and drag one away?

I don't even think they brought Dragonglass weapon with them.

Seijuro

All I know is, the show literally has no sense of time anymore. People just show up as if it's just next door in every scene. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the show and progression, but there is just too much "I'm here now!" in almost ever scene.

That's my biggest pet peeve this season. Otherwise, it's fantastic so far.

Was on holiday last week so I got to watch last week's episode and the new one back to back - best 2 hours I spent in front of the TV in a long, long time. So excited about the extra long episodes to come.

I'm honestly ok with it. I don't need an entire episode of Jon on a boat.

People always say this, but in previous seasons (sometimes) characters would be gone for whole episodes when they were "in transit".

The enjoy the breakneck pace of this season, but let's not pretend that showing someone standing on a boat doing nothing is the only alternative.

NYR

All I know is, the show literally has no sense of time anymore. People just show up as if it's just next door in every scene.

The producers said at the onset of the season they were ditching the travel time aspect of the show, it slowed their storytelling and they have only a limited number of episodes to tell their story. They also said "the various storylines in each episode aren't necessarily taking place at the same time".

Yes, it's a lame excuse but at least it was intentional.. Here is a comment from a GOT writer as well:

Oh, one thing since a few people have asked me. The timelines of the various story threads don't necessarily match up all the time.
— Bryan Cogman (@b_cogman) June 27, 2016

This is to avoid things like, say, Arya spending four episodes on a boat.

Oh, and in case people think I'm annoyed at the question, I'm not. I tied myself in knots season 1 trying to make it all line up. 1/2

We realized right quick doing so would kill momentum. So there you go. 2/2

Yet Cersei's hair still won't grow.

You could've used little Sam's age instead of this, lol. I mean, she probably likes her hair like that.

Yes, it's a lame excuse. Here is a comment from a GOT writer:

Lol, that's not a lame excuse. The time for travelogues are over, we know where everyone is at. What would be the point in spending time meandering in boats or walking the King's Road again?

rudger

So now I'm thinking that Sandor Clegane will die north of the wall. Then they bring his body back to Cersei where he will awaken as an undead soldier and fight his brother. One undead soldier fighting another.

RDreamer

People always say this, but in previous seasons (sometimes) characters would be gone for whole episodes when they were "in transit".

The enjoy the breakneck pace of this season, but let's not pretend that showing someone standing on a boat doing nothing is the only alternative.

And on top of that, you can definitely do character building moments while traveling or while waiting for things to happen. The show used to excel at these things. I don't know how people even got to this season if they only live for fire breathing dragons and war scenes and just want shit to happen. In season 1-3 the good shit was the conversations and plot. That was the shit I want to happen.

pablito

The show definitely does it more now, but it's always done it. Really hope people let this go.

XShagrath

Speaking on Cersei and her pregnancy, what if
she's not pregnant, and is just trying to keep Jaime around because he's starting to realize she's insane
?

Yeah, time and distance are clearly no longer a concern.

Nameless

Responding from the other thread:

It is silly. It's another contrived stall tactic by the writers to justify Cersei's continued existence.

It's ridiculous on so many levels. What changed between last episode and now? I also don't think it makes sense that Dany, who was literally just complaining that Cersei was winning the war and that she needed to start conquering with her Dragons. She just had a major victory too. Usually you don't give your enemy tons of time to reconsolidate. Tyrion would know that Cersei would never seriously consider honoring a truce on top of all of that. Was it Bran's letter that changed Dany's mind? Why does his word mean more than Jon's?

Not to mention that the plan is really stupid and unnecessarily dangerous in general. They're sending an extremely small force North to capture a White Walker. So that they can show it to Cersei and...have a proper truce? Really? I thought during the episode while the plan was vague that they were meaning taking a Lannister rep on a dragon ride North to see for themselves, but that would make way too much more sense. Plus Jon has SEEN the White Walker army. There's usually no stragglers. How the hell are the gonna walk up to the horde and drag one away?

What? Cersei agreed to spare Ned's life to end the conflict between Starks and Lannisters, and just last season she sought the Tyrell's help in taking down the Sparrows despite their disdain for one another. Cersei and Qyburn will not ignore a true blue walking skeleton right in front of them, especially since a truce would give them more time and options to take down their enemies once and for all.

Also Jon is capturing a thrall not a Walker. And it's not just about convincing Cersei, it's about rallying the entire Southern region for aid. Did you see those raven's flying over that dead army for a solid minute? It's going to take everyone to have a shot and right now most of the population doesn't even believe. Give me a better way to convince them than allowing them to see the threat with their own eyes.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Really liking this season so far. I work Sun-Thurs so my Sundays pretty much suck but GoTs being on almost makes it one of my favorite days. Quite enjoying this King of the North/ Mother of Dragons relationship.

NYR

Lol, that's not a lame excuse. The time for travelogues are over, we know where everyone is at. What would be the point in spending time meandering in boats or walking the King's Road again?

You get moments like Arya on the road to King's Landing running into the soliders and her getting some sense of humanism in them. You get moments like The Hound getting back to the house with the people who dies.

It provides opportunity for storytelling.

Sethista

Someone from the frozen 7 will die and be the wight they bring back to show cersei and dany. Money seems to be pretty heavily towards clegane.

About the WW, can they ress anyone who is dead, or only the recently deceased?

If its the former, I see no way they can lose.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I am happy about fast travel. We had literally seasons of characters walking from one place to another, it was like Uncharted 4 of tv shows.

What's weird is that Season 1 had no walking. People went from Winterfell to Kings Landing within an episode. Jon arrived at the wall within an episode. Tyrion went from Kings Landing to Winterfell to the Wall back to Kings Landing then to Vale then to his father's camp, fought a war and finally went back to Kings Landing all in one season. Lady stark was traveling between kings landing and winterfell like she had fast travel unlocked.

And then all of that changed in Season 2 and 3 where the show turned into groups of people traveling. Arya and Gendry then Arya and Hound, Jamie and Brienne then Brienne and Pod. Bran and his group of idiots. Jon Snow and Yigrette. Tyrion traveled with Varys then lord friendzone for an entire season in Season 5.

I am glad we are done with that. lets focus on character interactions between the last few remaining people. thats why people tune in to watch the show.

You get moments like Arya on the road to King's Landing running into the soliders and her getting some sense of humanism in them. You get moments like The Hound getting back to the house with the people who dies.

It provides opportunity for storytelling.

But it's not the only opportunity to provide storytelling.

I can feel it. Stannis is alive and will join the Magnificent Seven.

If he's alive, he will end up sitting on the broken throne according to his hot 500 year old witch. I was hoping Martin would have released the new book this year so we could see if his death was evident or off screened like what happened in the show.

Weakest season with how uneven the pacing is, and the writing being more lackluster than I'm accustomed to on the show. Still enjoying it, but the flaws are a bit more apparent now. Can't believe there's only a handful of episodes left.

Also, I don't like the Dany/Jorah relationship at all.

Also, does anyone find it bullshit that Littlefinger knew that Arya was watching him? I dunno, I mean, I know he has the be cautious, but I call bullshit. Just a feeling.

Continuing:

It's ridiculous on so many levels. What changed between last episode and now? Dany was literally just complaining that Cersei was winning the war and that she needed to start conquering with her Dragons. She just had a major victory too. Usually you don't give your enemy tons of time to reconsolidate. Was it Bran's letter that changed Dany's mind? Why does his word mean more than Jon's? Tyrion would know that Cersei would never seriously consider honoring a truce on top of all of that.

They can't fight a war against Cersei and the dead simultaneously.

By the time Dany secures a decisive victory in Kings Landing, the Dead will have advanced beyond the Wall perhaps to Winterfell with expanded numbers accumulated from the northern towns swept through in their southward march. The only other way for Dany to confront them with her Dothraki horde is to be allowed unfettered access to the northern regions controlled presently by the crown but Cersei would have to allow it.

GeoNeo

I disagree.
Anyone else believe when all is said and done the white walkers will win?

End of Season 8 you see a white walker Jon take the Iron throne, I'm expecting a bitter ending.

Mendrox

I am happy about fast travel. We had literally seasons of characters walking from one place to another, it was like Uncharted 4 of tv shows.

What's weird is that Season 1 had no walking. People went from Winterfell to Kings Landing within an episode. Jon arrived at the wall within an episode. Tyrion went from Kings Landing to Winterfell to the Wall back to Kings Landing then to Vale then to his father's camp, fought a war and finally went back to Kings Landing all in one season. Lady stark was traveling between kings landing and winterfell like she had fast travel unlocked.

And then all of that changed in Season 2 and 3 where the show turned into groups of people traveling. Arya and Gendry then Arya and Hound, Jamie and Brienne then Brienne and Pod. Bran and his group of idiots. Jon Snow and Yigrette. Tyrion traveled with Varys then lord friendzone for an entire season in Season 5.

I am glad we are done with that. lets focus on character interactions between the last few remaining people. thats why people tune in to watch the show.

Yep people complaining about characters "teleporting" have forgotten that this happened all the time in Season 1 too. I also like that because shit is finally happening and it's a good moment (except for a few tidbits) to fasten the pace.

Nephtes

From the last thread...

I wouldn't be surprised if one of the group going north of the wall to catch a wight dies, is resurrected as a wight, and that's who they bring back to show Cercei...

I hope it's Jorah if it happens... It's a win win... zombie Jorah AND another one out of the way so Jon can move in on Dany...

Top Bottom