• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTXVII| I don't really care if /mu/ cry

PlayDat

Good OP.

The Iggy Azalea article in the last thread reminded me of something. Only one of my friends ever stanned her at her peak. She (my friend not Iggy) threw her in the bushes a couple years later. She admitted that she was only ever a fan for superficial reasons. Iggy doing face surgery was the final blow. I'm actually interested in knowing if her career can come back. I liked her verse on that Skeme song Mo Flow.

Nibel

NAV would be the next big act if he wasn't NAV
wtzgU.gif

Moonkid

ULB definitely deserved the album if opened for.
Nah. Such a serious song followed up by the crass, terrible opening verse by Kanye in Father part 1 basically ruined it for me. It's not a juxtaposition I care for but I'm well aware I'm in the minority for this opinion.

Aizo

Banned
Hey, Gaf-hop.

Pick a Coast to rep (Chiraq/Atlantistan/etc): East... Far East! Japan.
What's your favorite subgenre of rap e.g. Conscious, G-Funk, Hyphy, Trap, Chopped & Screwed, Gangster, etc.? Jazz Rap followed by Gangster, I think.

Favorite Artists (Pick Five) Cyne, Kendrick Lamar, 2pac, Shing02, J. Cole
Favorite Artists Outside of Hip-Hop (Pick Five) (most music I listen to is Japanese) winnie, Brand New, The Dear Hunter, Coheed & Cambria,

What was your hip-hop AOTY last year? 4 Your Eyes Only (J. Cole) What's your current hip-hop AOTY? I don't have one for this year yet. Honestly why I'm here in this thread.
What are you listening to right now? JJJ like this

What's something you like that you might consider a guilty pleasure? What's something you haven't listened to that you think a hip-hop aficionado might give you shit for? Some Childish Gambino stuff, for sure. I've been given shit for it in the past. I don't love several Kanye albums others love, so that could be seen as contentious.

Rank a Random Rapper's Discography (Pick Someone With > 3 Albums)
J. Cole
Objectively: 2014 Forest Drive > Cole World > Your Eyes Only > Born Sinner
Subjectively: 4 Your Eyes Only > 2014 Forest Drive > Cole World > Born Sinner

---

I live in Japan, but there's a guy on GAF that knows Japanese Hip Hop way better than I do. I mostly listen to stuff like Kendrick Lamar and J. Cole. Japanese Hip Hop artists I really like are Shing02, Daoko (a few years ago), Kid Fresino, JJJ, Arµ-2, and Otogibanashi's.

---
Here's a lame Japanese song I just heard. I actually really like STUTS, but Punpee just sounds fucking awkward and fake. Lyrics are just boring.
STUTS - 夜を使いはたして feat. PUNPEE

Eos

y'all weren't lying, malone got another hit on his hands
Hey, Gaf-hop.

What’s your favorite subgenre of rap e.g. Conscious, G-Funk, Hyphy, Trap, Chopped & Screwed, Gangster, etc.? Jazz Rap followed by Gangster, I think.

Favorite Artists Outside of Hip-Hop (Pick Five) (most music I listen to is Japanese) winnie, Brand New, The Dear Hunter, Coheed & Cambria,

What was your hip-hop AOTY last year? 4 Your Eyes Only (J. Cole) What’s your current hip-hop AOTY? I don't have one for this year yet. Honestly why I'm here in this thread.

What’s something you like that you might consider a guilty pleasure? What’s something you haven’t listened to that you think a hip-hop aficionado might give you shit for? Some Childish Gambino stuff, for sure. I've been given shit for it in the past. I don't love several Kanye albums others love, so that could be seen as contentious.

Rank a Random Rapper’s Discography (Pick Someone With > 3 Albums)
J. Cole

---

I live in Japan, but there's a guy on GAF that knows Japanese Hip Hop way better than I do. I mostly listen to stuff like Kendrick Lamar and J. Cole. Japanese Hip Hop artists I really like are Shing02, Daoko (a few years ago), Kid Fresino, JJJ, Arµ-2, and Otogibanashi's.

---
Here's a lame Japanese song I just heard. I actually really like STUTS, but Punpee just sounds fucking awkward and fake. Lyrics are just boring.
Welcome!

I missed the little Post Malone discussion last thread but yeah, that's a dope track. I don't think the thread was too hot on his album, but I liked it aside from it being too long.

Also, good OT. lol @ the ending of the last one being a complete dumpster fire. Shout out to everyone that fanned the flames.

"rockstar" is pretty good.

"jocelyn flores" is haunting. i was hesitant to even listen to it after hearing all those abuse allegations, but i gave it a shot and i'm glad i did.

Icolin

Banned
fuck love is the best song on that new X by far. The rest is kinda meh, although Jocelyn Flores is pretty cool I guess. Like I get the appeal of his music and I probably would've loved it back in high school but I'm not into that kind of stuff anymore. And that's all glossing over the fact that X is a despicable human being.

Post Malone's an interesting case for me. I like his music, and the vibe he aims for, but I can't help but feel his image is exploitative of hip-hop culture. In all fairness, he seems like a guy that honestly enjoys hip-hop culture, but it just feels..off. The fact he was just a suburban white kid who liked singing who then transitioned into a hip-hop lifestyle, complete with gold grills, chains, and tattoo sleeves doesn't seem real.

His songs are nice, but I'm not entirely at ease with how he's gotten to the position he is at in the span of 2 years.

qft x100. You see the clowns we talk about day in and day out? Post Malone is on the lower end of things tbh.
Oh no doubt. Compared to NAV or the Cash Me Ousside girl or Cardi B or any rappers making pop plays, he's low tier.

But, then what separates Post Malone from a Jake Paul? The fact that Post can crank out a good song?

Koozek

Hey, Gaf-hop.

What’s your favorite subgenre of rap e.g. Conscious, G-Funk, Hyphy, Trap, Chopped & Screwed, Gangster, etc.? Jazz Rap followed by Gangster, I think.

What was your hip-hop AOTY last year? 4 Your Eyes Only (J. Cole) What’s your current hip-hop AOTY? I don't have one for this year yet. Honestly why I'm here in this thread.

What’s something you like that you might consider a guilty pleasure? What’s something you haven’t listened to that you think a hip-hop aficionado might give you shit for? Some Childish Gambino stuff, for sure. I've been given shit for it in the past. I don't love several Kanye albums others love, so that could be seen as contentious.

Rank a Random Rapper’s Discography (Pick Someone With > 3 Albums)
J. Cole

---

---
Nice, welcome! What about Japanese Trap, listening to that? What's the best shit right now? KOHH was probably the most popular a few years ago. Generally, how popular is Rap over there currently?

You seen these Vice videos?

https://youtu.be/Pn36uJvwIvA

https://youtu.be/m5KeRbLmnmc

Koozek

Oh no doubt. Compared to NAV or the Cash Me Ousside girl or Cardi B or any rappers making pop plays, he's low tier.

But, then what separates Post Malone from a Jake Paul? The fact that Post can crank out a good song?
Lol, don't know if it's just a coincidence that you mentioned Post and Jake Paul, but they had beef recently because Jake filmed Post's home from the outside in a vlog before he delivered his fan merch that Post ordered.

Moonkid

Chill. Post is a dope artist.
Haha I didn't mean to diss him, I just think it's an interesting question. Jake Paul is easier to hate for starters. His work as a vlogger guarantees some degree of success but it holds him back from being taken seriously.

Top Bottom