• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bicycle age

Looking to start riding a bike as supplemental exercise, and to work (4 miles each way, somewhat flat, a few hills in there though, and my region is generally quite hilly for the recreational riding).

I have no experience with road biking. The only bike I own now is a restored and awesome vintage beach cruiser type bike.

Suggestions on a good cheap starter bike?

These were recommended by some people I know and I'd appreciate any thoughts:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000KZ1GHQ/?tag=neogaf0e-20

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000Y2PIIS/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Kraftwerk

I work at a cycle shop so might be able to help ya :D
If you want to get into biking for the reasons you described i would HIGHLY recommend spending around $500 and getting a Giant rapid.It's perfect for what you want to to do and the quality is amazing,since giant is the biggest bike company they can afford to make such good bikes at low costs.You can also upgrade it as you go along if you get more into biking.
heres the link http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-US/bikes/model/rapid.3/3875/36257/
It a light bike and no customer yet has had anything but praise for it.
Happy biking :D
p.s-if you still want to spend less try to find a giant FCR 3 on ebay/craigslist- the fcr is what the rapid used to be called 1-2 years ago so you will get it cheaper.

Since this is biking age I'm looking for a track bike frame around 61cms if anyone has one, we can work something out, message me.

Gallbaro

Banned
Kentpaul said:
won't you be reeking of body oder when you arived at work ?

Merino wool and deodorant work wonderfully.

Seriously Merino wool is the greatest material ever used in clothing, I ride up a mountain every morning and do not even sweat when wearing it.

Anyway this is the bike you want, pure commuting perfection.

w9jt3c.jpg

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Where do you live? If it is not a huge city I am sure you can find a cheap road bike on craigslist that will get you started. I would suggest NOT buying a brand new bike until you are sure you like riding.

That said, I ride to work every day (and sadly the last part of both to and from are uphill, but I do not have any problems with smelling awful when I get to work, just when I get home on a hot summer's day). I love riding and to the bane of my girlfriend have 3 bikes in the apartment (2 road, one mountain).

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
elrechazao said:
Looking to start riding a bike as supplemental exercise, and to work (4 miles each way, somewhat flat, a few hills in there though, and my region is generally quite hilly for the recreational riding).

I have no experience with road biking. The only bike I own now is a restored and awesome vintage beach cruiser type bike.

If you haven't done any road biking, don't bother with a road bike. Get the second type you posted - a Hybrid. The riding position is easier, less prone to crashes and causes less fatigue in the end. And it will still move fast. I rode from SF to LA in the AIDS Ride on one and finished in the "fast" group every day. And my butt, hands and wrists hurt less than the carbon fiber roadbikers.

The guy who posted the Giant is right on the money. And don't be scared to get a comfy gel seat. Your ass will thank you.

mf.luder

Definitely looking to getting into riding this summer, glad this thread popped up.

Looking to start with something for long rides. Will return to this thread for guidance soon.

2 wheels good, 4 wheels bad!
2 wheels good, 4 wheels bad!

Gallbaro said:

Seriously Merino wool is the greatest material ever used in clothing, I ride up a mountain every morning and do not even sweat when wearing it.

http://i40.tinypic.com/w9jt3c.jpg[/IG][/QUOTE]
details on the bike?

On the location questions: I live in a very hilly part of the country, but the direct route to and from work would involve a fairly flat river-following path, with one large hill (where my house is, so downhill on the way to work).

TLDR: flattish commute to work, recreational paths would be mad hilly.

expect to pay around 400 to 500 for a half decent bike and expect all bikes to made in Taiwan unless you can find a local bike shop that carry the more expensive made in usa bikes by cannondale, iron horse and scott. i know for mountain bikes there is mtbr.com

Stinkles

Salazar said:
A completely impractical suggestion prefaced by an acknowledgement of its impracticality. Never mind, you git.

Really, I was more excited that it wasn't a fixie, than disappointed that it wasn't practical. I hope you understand.

offtopic

He measures in centimeters
elrechazao said:

The type of bike you should get depends entirely on how you predict you'll use it. Your beach cruiser is fine for a 4 mile flat commute. A commuter bike or "hybrid" with attachments for fenders is great if you want to expand on that a little bit. Road bikes are for more serious enthusiast riding beyond "going to work" (although they can work for that as well) but you'll typically spend more money and get something that doesn't have fenders, places to attach paniers or tires that can take much of a beating. Basically all flavors of bikes exist but what you should get will be based on your usage (want to go offroad at all...that opens up CX bikes, mountainbikes, other hybrid types, etc).

Just say no to fixed gear or single speed bikes unless you know what you are getting into.

Thaedolus

Well hello there bike thread. I was just thinking of making one myself...

Last May I got into mountain biking, and bought myself a Giant Trance 2. It's been a ton of fun, and I just got out for the first time this year last week. Excited for the snow to melt around here...

I recently found myself some great employment about 13 miles from where I live, and was thinking that's about the perfect distance to ride to if I had a road bike. Also, there's an annual race called the LOTOJA (Logan, UT to Jackson Hole, WY) that I'd like to participate in this September. I'd say I'm an intermediate mountain biker. I've only got one season under my belt, but it was sort of a baptism of fire since I was going out with some pretty hardcore guys. So I feel pretty comfortable on a bike. My brother-in-law has a Giant TCR Advanced something or other, full carbon fiber, and fully out of my price range...I'm looking to stay below a grand on the bike if I can, and I figure a couple hundred more for a shoes and clothes. Anyone have suggestions? I'm looking at the Giant Rapid series right now, looks about the right price, but I'm not sure if it's too beginner or not. Mountain biking and road biking seem to be totally different sports.

Oh and a bonus, here's me sitting on my bike on a rock from last Wednesday:

26062_531651465269_122800637_31296077_5627454_n.jpg

OuterWorldVoice said:
If you haven't done any road biking, don't bother with a road bike. Get the second type you posted - a Hybrid. The riding position is easier, less prone to crashes and causes less fatigue in the end. And it will still move fast. I rode from SF to LA in the AIDS Ride on one and finished in the "fast" group every day. And my butt, hands and wrists hurt less than the carbon fiber roadbikers.

The guy who posted the Giant is right on the money. And don't be scared to get a comfy gel seat. Your ass will thank you.

Hybrid bikes, IMO are the jacks of all trades and masters of nothing. While decent, if you're doing commuting I recommend road bikes if the terrain is flat. Also remember that if you're on flat terrain you don't need the 27,000-speed bikes. A simple 3 or 5 speed will work great.

Stinkles

excelforward said:
Hybrid bikes, IMO are the jacks of all trades and masters of nothing. While decent, if you're doing commuting I recommend road bikes if the terrain is flat. Also remember that if you're on flat terrain you don't need the 27,000-speed bikes. A simple 3 or 5 speed will work great.

He's pretty specific about

a) Little experience
b) Flat commute
c) Hilly recreation

So the Hybrid is actually ideal for him.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Treo360 said:
IMG here's mine. can't wait to be able to go outside again.

That is quite sexy, what is it?

I am a bit of the same as the OP, although my commute is a mile at most. I do plan to ride after work a few times a week around 10 miles each time, and then a long ride on the weekend, so both hills and flat.

What would be a good hybrid bike for cheap?

purg3

slept with Malkin
also looking to get back into biking now that the weather is nice and my job schedule now has weekends off. I used to ride quite a bit while in high school, mainly trail riding(light/heavy), but I've been out of the biking loop since then. So looking for recommendations for something that will be good with most types of trail riding and ok for road use. I have a local Trek shop nearby and these are the ones that caught my eye
(budget >$600)

http://trekofpgh.com/product/gary-fisher-kaitai-61018-1.htm

http://trekofpgh.com/product/gary-fisher-wahoo-60979-1.htm

http://trekofpgh.com/product/trek-3900-disc-57865-1.htm

offtopic said:
The type of bike you should get depends entirely on how you predict you'll use it. Your beach cruiser is fine for a 4 mile flat commute.
Not really, the thing weighs as much as a volkswagon. Heavy ass construction, thick metal fenders covering half of each wheel, etc.

OuterWorldVoice said:
He's pretty specific about

a) Little experience
b) Flat commute
c) Hilly recreation

So the Hybrid is actually ideal for him.

Exactly, this is what I'm leaning towards at this point.

offtopic

He measures in centimeters
Yes, really. As long as the drive train isn't damaged or the rims bent then 4miles is absolutely nothing for any bike.

Curious, my friend has been raving about fixed gear bikes and whatnot for awhile now. I finally tried one just the other month, and I now know what they mean by fixed gear.

What are the advantages/disadvantages over other bikes? I literally have no knowledge in the world of bikes. D:

Gallbaro

Banned
elrechazao said:
Not really, the thing weighs as much as a volkswagon. Heavy ass construction, thick metal fenders covering half of each wheel, etc.

Exactly, this is what I'm leaning towards at this point.

Don't get a hybrid bike, if you really want a type of hybrid bike get a cycle-cross bike, which is a road bike with mountain bike tires and brakes.

I use to have the typical hybrid, Mountain bike frame and road bike tires, it was the "safe" bike to get bake into cycling, but it was a boring bike and I regretted my purchase.

If you are young get a steel road bike, much more fun and comfortable, as the drop bars give you many positions.

The cheapest source you will find for bikes is http://bikesdirect.com/ but then keep in mind you are forfeiting any value adders your local bike shop may have like free adjustments and repairs.

Stabby McSter said:
Curious, my friend has been raving about fixed gear bikes and whatnot for awhile now. I finally tried one just the other month, and I now know what they mean by fixed gear.

What are the advantages/disadvantages over other bikes? I literally have no knowledge in the world of bikes. D:

Lighter and theoretically less maintenance since there are no derailleurs and gears, shifters and sometimes brakes. Also cheaper.

Disadvantages: No gears,
chains have to be adjusted since there is no derailleur to adjust for give,
no gears,
have to constantly pedal on a fixed gear as there is no coaster, this gives you are very real top speed, even down hill,
no gears,
you are gonna need a front brake since rear brakes, such as pedaling backwards are not effective when braking,
no gears.

Stabby McSter said:

Lighter, less parts, feeling connected to every motion since you can't coast. It's been popular with hipster kids for a while. You're better off with anything else unless you want to look cool with the kids, but the pedals constantly pushing you forward can be pretty fun.

I'd recommend bikesdirect.com. I know people will bitch and bitch about the company, but since I bought my road bike there I've had no complaints about it. It was also a lot cheaper than i'd pay anywhere else for it. I say take a look at the bikes there and see if there are any that you like.

Willectro

Banned
I haven't done a lot of road biking or commuting by bike, but I would strongly suggest getting a more 'cross country style' mountain bike. I guess it depends on budget of course, but it just seems to me that a mountain bike is far more versatile. You don't have to get a giant 60 pound downhill frame, but consider a hard tail with an entry level front fork, decent disc brakes, and nice wheels. As well, the riding position is more comfortable compared to a road bike IMO. Sure the bike will be a little heavier than a traditional road bike, but it's going to be a lot better when you want to drop down a curb for instance (or maybe jump a stair set :lol ). Guess it's all preference.

Baconmonk

I've just gotten back into biking, similar reasons to the OP, but I need a new seat. The bike I have now is an older one I had when. Was younger, but it still fits me fine and rides good from the bit I've taken it around town. Now if I go down to the local bike shop, will any seat work fine, or should I look for something specific?

Also please don't tell me to go buy bike A, since I have a working 10 speed, I'd rather just get the seat.

Liu Kang Baking A Pie said:
Lighter, less parts, feeling connected to every motion since you can't coast. It's been popular with hipster kids for a while. You're better off with anything else unless you want to look cool with the kids, but the pedals constantly pushing you forward can be pretty fun.
Well that explains a lot why my friend wanted one. :lol

I live in Boston, so I'm sure I can find a cheap cruiser on Craigslist. Definitely would like a bike and start riding around the city starting this Summer.

elrechazao said:
The only bike I own now is a restored and awesome vintage beach cruiser type bike.

]

If you're riding in the city, the absolute best type is a cruiser. You want to be sitting straight up to see around you and so traffic sees you. Any bike that has you leaning forward is bad for city commuting. That stuff is for the alpine dirt roads.

Google maps recently launched bike directions which supposedly take into account steepness of hills, road speed, bike lanes etc. It's brand new though, so I suggest you take a look at their suggestions and then compare it with what you were thinking of doing and then balance your route between the two.

Gallbaro said:

The wikipedia article makes this stuff sound awesome. I'm lucky that there's a small gym in my building so I can shower when I get to work, but I'm still going to look for something to keep warm on those chillier mornings.

I currently do 5 miles each way through moderately hilly terrain to get to the bus station. I have a Marin Eldridge that I bought off someone local for $150. Awesome deal, awesome bike.

mcrae

hey bicycle gaf!

im looking to buy a mountain bike this summer. probably 500-700 canadian, hardtail. then i was thinking i could buy a 2nd set of rims, with road tires on them. i can't afford two bikes... and i want to be able to go on long, wandering, road rides as well as biking the trails with my friend. is this a good idea?

and any recomendations for bikes? my last bike was a giant, that cost around $1050 4 years ago. i loooved it, but alas it was stolen. i live in niagara falls, ontario, if that helps :)

edit: that merino wool does indeed sound awesome.

Daigoro

Gallbaro said:

w9jt3c.jpg

wow. real helpful...

OxtheMidget said:
I'd recommend bikesdirect, I know people will bitch and bitch about the company, but since I bought my road bike there I've had no complaints about it. It was also a lot cheaper than i'd pay anywhere else for it. I say take a look at the bikes there and see if there are any that you like.

ill bitch about them.

they charged me 500 for a bike they didnt have in stock. charged me for it and then made me wait for a refund.

fuck that company. they wont ever be getting my business again.

subrock

practice02 said:
Since this is biking age I'm looking for a track bike frame around 61cms if anyone has one, we can work something out, message me.

whereabouts are you? I'm always trolling the clist for pursuit and funny bike frames.

Daigoro said:
ill bitch about them.

they charged me 500 for a bike they didnt have in stock. charged me for it and then made me wait for a refund.

fuck that company. they wont ever be getting my business again.

Weird, they were helpful to me. I remember I even emailed them about which bike size to get (they do tell you how to measure yourself on the website, but I was right between two sizes) and they were very nice. I don't remember the bike arriving late or anything, and it was very easy to build when it arrived.

I know I sound like a spam ad bot, specially after having heard many complaints online (I did some researching before I bought there), but I can't complain about my experience with them.

Picture0162-1.jpg

moojito

Do we have any UK cyclists in the house other than Dr. Cholmondley-Warner there with his circa 1900 style bikes? I was thinking of going into halfords to get one of their cheaper bikes to see if I take to it or not. It would be a shame if those bikes were of such bad quality that they would put me off a hobby I'd otherwise enjoy, though. Can anyone comment on their quality?

Kentpaul

When keepin it real goes wrong. Very, very wrong.
moojito said:
Do we have any UK cyclists in the house other than Dr. Cholmondley-Warner there with his circa 1900 style bikes? I was thinking of going into halfords to get one of their cheaper bikes to see if I take to it or not. It would be a shame if those bikes were of such bad quality that they would put me off a hobby I'd otherwise enjoy, though. Can anyone comment on their quality?

A bikes a bike i'm thinking of picking up a BMX from hallfords and going to my local skate park and learn how to go up all the awsome ramps and stuff:D

Viewt

I'll echo what some other people are saying here: don't cheap out on your bike. I recently got back into cycling (mostly commuting to work and for small errands during the weekend), and I decided to only drop around $299. The bike works fine, but I have to keep a mini toolkit with me at all times. Cheaper parts mean having to tighten the handlebar every few days, or having a spare tube on you at all times in case you have a flat (which will happen a lot more often than you think if you're planning on putting a lot of miles on this bike - a quick fix for that is kevlar tires, which I'm thinking about getting more and more every day), etc. I put 50-60 miles on my bike a week, and believe me, I know it's gonna become an issue sooner or later.

If you're committed to using this bike a lot, paying out $700-$900 will probably end up saving you money in the long term. When it comes to bikes, you really get what you pay for.

Treo360

Deadly Cyclone said:
That is quite sexy, what is it?

I am a bit of the same as the OP, although my commute is a mile at most. I do plan to ride after work a few times a week around 10 miles each time, and then a long ride on the weekend, so both hills and flat.

What would be a good hybrid bike for cheap?

A bike I made. Ultra Light Frame by Bria (German company) Everything else I bought here and there. Made it as light as possible. It's a fixie/single speed reverse hub.

esquire

Has waited diligently to think of something to say before making this post
It's hard to give you really solid advice without seeing you in person and understanding your riding style. I would recommend going down to your local bike shop to test out different bikes if you are just getting into it now. I'm not saying this is always true but generally you will want to spend around $600-$700 for a decent road bike that is light and durable.

otake

Doesn't know that "You" is used in both the singular and plural
I'm soon moving to an apartment that is closer to my office. A 7 mile bike ride will get me there. However, I live in Florida, in a town where no one rides a bike to work, everything is far and there are no bike lanes. I wish I could ride to work.. I really do.

moojito

Aren't you folks able to cycle on the road there or something? I know american cars' steering isn't great, but surely they can make their way round a bike.

Top Bottom