• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bicycle age

onion_pixy said:
For me personally I "build up a connection with the road" by climbing up a 5,000 foot mountain ad then bombing down it at 35mph. Can't really do that on a fixie. Leaning into a sweeping turn at 30+ mph is pretty fucking awesome.

Nice track bike tho :) Where are you? If you live by a velodrome you should take that thing out the the track. it's a lot of fun.

I still manage to 'bomb down hills' on my fixie and it's still a lot of fun. But I admit there's no sense of achievement if you haven't climbed that fucker before hand.

I'm in England living in Kent, but I'm moving to London in the next year or so, which is why I've decided to get used to riding a fixie. No velodrome nearby at the moment, but I'm definitely going to try it out next time I'm up in London with my bike.

subrock

just got this back from the shop today. its a fresh build with fresh powdercoat. can wait to get out and bomb on it. still waiting on a neon green selle turbo saddle and some matching keirin grips.

hate away but I'm in heaven :D
photo.jpg

Treo360

subrock said:
just got this back from the shop today. its a fresh build with fresh powdercoat. can wait to get out and bomb on it. still waiting on a neon green selle turbo saddle and some matching keirin grips.

photo.jpg
Nice. Not going Flip flop, or even a front brake?

whatsinaname said:
So, if I get one from bikesdirect.com, how easy/difficult is it for a complete newbie to put it together?

Very easy. The bike comes almost all set up, all you gotta do is put in the front tire, the handle bars, and adjust the brakes iirc. Even if you have any doubts there's nothing a couple of youtube videos can't explain (I didn't know how to adjust the brakes at first).

subrock

I've got a Nishiki 6 speed in the shed so I'm just riding this one fully fixed. more of a once in a while weekend bike really.

subrock said:

photo.jpg
Get a brake. I have one on my track bike.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I think tomorrow I'm going to order a Selle Royal Respiro Soft Athletic.

robox

i want a nerded out bike like this
20k3kte.jpg

but damn those disc wheels are expensive... more expensive than car wheels

subrock said:

photo.jpg
Sux you couldn't have gotten a real track bike frame.

subrock said:
Why does it suck?
This is a protip. the way dropouts are setup on a conversion bike well they are made for tensioner every couple weeks check the back wheels' nuts so they dont' get loose. the chain pulls the back wheel towards you. the dropout on a track bike are full horizontal with the opening pointing behind you. Ive seen people eat shit right in the middle of downtown traffic cus their back wheel came loose.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dropout_(bicycle_part)

Yeah my fixed gear bike has something similar to this:

bachelor_dropouts_hi.jpg

It also has a nail on the inner side that's only there to hold the bolt outward, to keep the chain tight.

It's no big deal though, that is a sweet bike for what it is. I could never ride one without a brake though, so that whole scene is lost on me.

Dice

So the dumb shop on eBay didn't have the saddle I ordered in stock. Now I can't find it in stock anywhere, so I'm considering a Brooks Flyer.

Just trying to limit my options so I thought I'd ask here.

I currently have a mountain bike with road tires on them because I live in a rather flat area but am looking to get a road bike. I definitely want to spend less than $700, but I'm not sure if a fixie would be more appropriate for me.

The bike would mostly be used for commuting to the BART station (which is about 2 miles from my house) as well as just riding along the surrounding area.

esquire

Has waited diligently to think of something to say before making this post
onion_pixy said:
seriously. Bike riding is awesome. I have four bikes. :lol

My new road bike

My (now) rain/commuter/beater bike. Was my main ride for close to three years.

My time trial bike-it now has white bar tape on it. Bars are nekkid in this pic.

and last but not least, my track bike. Which I only ride on the track. Notice no weird colors or chopped bars. But I have love for all people who bike. That's one less person who will run me over in their car. BTW I live in Los Angeles and yes it can be scary on the roads but you learn to deal with it.

Bikes are rad.

Awesome bikes!

practice02 said:
This is a protip. the way dropouts are setup on a conversion bike well they are made for tensioner every couple weeks check the back wheels' nuts so they dont' get loose. the chain pulls the back wheel towards you. the dropout on a track bike are full horizontal with the opening pointing behind you. Ive seen people eat shit right in the middle of downtown traffic cus their back wheel came loose.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dropout_(bicycle_part)

He's right, horizontal drops are the way to go with a fixed gear. You can certainly ride fixed on a conversion frame but just be extra careful because you are also riding without brakes.

Auron_Kale said:
Just trying to limit my options so I thought I'd ask here.

I currently have a mountain bike with road tires on them because I live in a rather flat area but am looking to get a road bike. I definitely want to spend less than $700, but I'm not sure if a fixie would be more appropriate for me.

The bike would mostly be used for commuting to the BART station (which is about 2 miles from my house) as well as just riding along the surrounding area.

You're in the bay area? Whereabouts exactly? Also how much do you want to spend on a bike? Give me an exact figure. I might be able to hook you up.

esquire said:
You're in the bay area? Whereabouts exactly? Also how much do you want to spend on a bike? Give me an exact figure. I might be able to hook you up.

Live out in the East Bay (Dublin to be exact). Price ceiling I'd be comfortable with would be $700, but absolute max would be $800, so anything less than either would be great as this would technically be my first non-mountain bike.

esquire

Auron_Kale said:
Live out in the East Bay (Dublin to be exact). Price ceiling I'd be comfortable with would be $700, but absolute max would be $800, so anything less than either would be great as this would technically be my first non-mountain bike.

I'm in SF but I suppose that's not too far, is it? Do you ever come into the city on your regular commute?

I'm about to get to work on a road bike I intend to sell. Super light, durable steel vintage frame and stylish. It's a cute bike, but I'll need about two weeks to put it together. A buddy of mine who builds bikes for a living might be able to hook you up with something a lot sooner. He's a good guy. Let me talk to him about it to see if he's up for it and I'll hit you up with a PM with contact info tomorrow, Friday at the latest. Your price ceiling is fairly generous and I can definitely get you something nice probably a bit below that range to save you some money. Interested?

esquire said:
I'm in SF but I suppose that's not too far, is it? Do you ever come into the city on your regular commute?

I'm about to get to work on a road bike I intend to sell. Super light, durable steel vintage frame and stylish. It's a cute bike, but I'll need about two weeks to put it together. A buddy of mine who builds bikes for a living might be able to hook you up with something a lot sooner. He's a good guy. Let me talk to him about it to see if he's up for it and I'll hit you up with a PM with contact info tomorrow, Friday at the latest. Your price ceiling is fairly generous and I can definitely get you something nice probably a bit below that range to save you some money. Interested?

I actually work in the city, so I'm in SF every day. And I'm totally interested. Thank you for your generosity and help! I totally appreciate it. :D

esquire

Auron_Kale said:
I actually work in the city, so I'm in SF every day. And I'm totally interested. Thank you for your generosity and help! I totally appreciate it. :D

No problem! I'll make a note of it and get back to you ASAP. Always happy to help a fellow NeoGAF member!

sasimirobot

I am planning a month long bike trip through China next year but I don't know much about bikes. The bike I want has to have these points:

1. Can be bought in China (they have decent bike shops, but it would have to be a relatively common brand/model)

2. Less than 1,000$US

3. Super low maintenance ( I will be in the middle of nowhere for most of the trip), and also tips for repairs/maintenance. Somebody mentioned Kevlar tires, and a bike was posted with a
belt instead of chain drive...

4. Light, sturdy, and able to tackle hills

5. I am 6'2"+ if that makes a difference

Gallbaro

Banned
subrock said:

photo.jpg

You need a front brake, the rear wheel is relatively useless for braking because when you are braking your weight and momentum are on the front wheel, meaning that is the wheel which needs the brake.

sasimirobot said:
I am planning a month long bike trip through China next year but I don't know much about bikes. The bike I want has to have these points:

1. Can be bought in China (they have decent bike shops, but it would have to be a relatively common brand/model)

2. Less than 1,000$US

3. Super low maintenance ( I will be in the middle of nowhere for most of the trip), and also tips for repairs/maintenance. Somebody mentioned Kevlar tires, and a bike was posted with a
belt instead of chain drive...

4. Light, sturdy, and able to tackle hills

5. I am 6'2"+ if that makes a difference

Just go to China and buy one. They will mark it up when they see a tourist but it will steel be a good deal if you know what to look for in a quality bike.

Gallbaro said:
You need a front brake, the rear wheel is relatively useless for braking because when you are braking your weight and momentum are on the front wheel, meaning that is the wheel which needs the brake.
Seriously. Please? I live right on one of my town's major E-W bike routes, and things are really getting ridiculous. And you guys aren't just endangering yourselves, you know?

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
I own and ride:

Santa Cruz Blur LT

Pivot Mach 5 - Won it in a raffle.

Yeti 303

slidewinder said:
Seriously. Please? I live right on one of my town's major E-W bike routes, and things are really getting ridiculous. And you guys aren't just endangering yourselves, you know?
All of you people are dealing with people who don't know to put the right length of chain on. which give them terrible tension from what I can see old pink and green has the tension perfect.

Nice. Did it come with a rack to support your bag or did you buy it yourself?

There's a shop in San Francisco that specializes in selling Dutch bikes, and it's kinda cool to see.

Calantus

Someone told me that biking is the best way to lower your resting heart rate, is this true? i've been looking to get into biking anyway but this just adds to my reasons to get one

Calantus said:
Someone told me that biking is the best way to lower your resting heart rate, is this true? i've been looking to get into biking anyway but this just adds to my reasons to get one

any kind of aerobic exercise is going to do that. stronger your heart is, the less work it has to do to pump blood. leg muscles are your largest muscle group so i can see biking being a good way to improve cardio systems.

Calantus said:
Excersize in general will do that

Calantus

practice02 said:
Excersize in general will do that

The most efficient, though. Their reasoning was that since it doesn't use as much muscles and you don't get as tired as you do while running, you can do it longer and the longer you do exercise the better it is for the heart.

Sounds right but i'm far from an expert.

Calantus said:
The most efficient, though. Their reasoning was that since it doesn't use as much muscles and you don't get as tired as you do while running, you can do it longer and the longer you do exercise the better it is for the heart.

Sounds right but i'm far from an expert.
I'm going to tell how that's wrong using this example swimming is the best cardio and all around workout because it excersizes the most muscles. Now I will explain it like this. the more muscles you move the more oxygen you need, the more oxygen you need, the faster your heart pumps the stronger it gets it's just like any muscle. The more it's used the stronger it gets. So to answer your question biking is lower mid level start jogging.

Mudkips

Banned
practice02 said:
I'm going to tell how that's wrong using this example swimming is the best cardio and all around workout because it excersizes the most muscles. Now I will explain it like this. the more muscles you move the more oxygen you need, the more oxygen you need, the faster your heart pumps the stronger it gets it's just like any muscle. The more it's used the stronger it gets. So to answer your question biking is lower mid level start jogging.

Posting in a bike thread to affirm this simple truth: Swimming am best cardio.

Calantus

Mudkips said:
Posting in a bike thread to affirm this simple truth: Swimming am best cardio.

I wish i had access to a pool, so i could swim daily, but it's not possible. Maybe i'll bike to the YMCA :lol

subrock

I'm aware of the folly of the brakeless fixedgear, but its also the reason I have multiple bikes. the "seedless watermelon" is for when I'm feeling classy. I'm picking up a cervelo one this weekend for when I feel like doing some serious work.

subrock said:
I'm aware of the folly of the brakeless fixedgear, but its also the reason I have multiple bikes. the "seedless watermelon" is for when I'm feeling classy. I'm picking up a cervelo one this weekend for when I feel like doing some serious work.
yes i support this

Auron_Kale said:
Nice. Did it come with a rack to support your bag or did you buy it yourself?

There's a shop in San Francisco that specializes in selling Dutch bikes, and it's kinda cool to see.
The rack came with it(like most dutch utility bikes). The bag is just a recycled leather messenger bag I strapped on using leather straps.

titiklabingapat said:
The rack came with it(like most dutch utility bikes). The bag is just a recycled leather messenger bag I strapped on using leather straps.

That's really cool and the bag looks really good with the bike.

esquire said:
No problem! I'll make a note of it and get back to you ASAP. Always happy to help a fellow NeoGAF member!

Just talked to your buddy and he's already found the frame for my bike. Hopefully I'll get to see it sometime next week. Decided to go with a more old-school road bike with the shifters on the frame. Also, I was wondering if you could post a pic of that bike he built for you so that I have an idea of how it'll look? Thanks!

sasimirobot

Gallbaro said:
Just go to China and buy one. They will mark it up when they see a tourist but it will steel be a good deal if you know what to look for in a quality bike.

uh...the point is that I don't really know what to look for. The last time I bought a bike in China it was like 100 pounds. I was just thinking that somebody here might have experience with long distance biking and might have some ideas.

esquire

Auron_Kale said:
Just talked to your buddy and he's already found the frame for my bike. Hopefully I'll get to see it sometime next week. Decided to go with a more old-school road bike with the shifters on the frame. Also, I was wondering if you could post a pic of that bike he built for you so that I have an idea of how it'll look? Thanks!
So glad to hear that!

I'll take some pics of the frame tomorrow when I get home.

Donos

2s8jx2o.jpg

I love my bike but it's now 3 years old and falling apart. It is rather expansive to upgrade it with new quality parts but i try. I don't have the money to fork out 1000€ for a new one again. The area here has some really nice trails and i now got a GPS in my phone so i can explore the woods more.

For the Summer, I'm picking up a bike on Craigslist. A road bike that I've wanted for awhile to get to places faster than Skateboarding and to take trips with friends miles away.

Dice

Okay well I have been reconsidering what I'll need and I am looking for some advice.

I need a bike:
-$800
-Okay for distance, but more focused for urban (takes small bumps well)
-Can have fenders
-Winter-capable, at least decently (32c tires, then?)

I feel like drop handles would be awesome but maybe bad for my urban setting and winter riding (never used a bike with them before)

Just picked up a red Univega Nuovo Sport for $85 a couple weeks ago and I absolutely LOVE IT! Cruising around Boston weaving in and out of traffic feels amazing.

Top Bottom