• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac Hardware and Software |OT| - All things Macintosh

hwa1s.png

ohh baby, still functions fine for word processing and school stuff though.

aperman

Neo Member
Too lazy for pictures now.

8-Core Mac Pro
2x 3.0GHz Xenon Harpertown
16GB DDR2 RAM
ATI 4870 512MB VRAM (updating with Mac Pro refresh cards)
4x 1TB WD Caviar Black @ 7200rpm.
USB 3.0 PCIe Card (hoping to buy a Thunderbolt card once released if compatible)
Windows 7 64-bit via Bootcamp

15" Macbook Pro
2.66 GHz Intel Core i7
8GB DDR3 RAM
500GB HD @ 7200rpm
1680 x 1050 High Resolution Display
Windows 7 64-bit via Bootcamp

24" LED Cinema Display (soon getting an additional 27")

13" Macbook Pro
Don't know the specs, in the other room...

:)

I've got a MacBook pro 15" core i7 from mid 2010, and I hook it up to my tv through a mini display port to hdmi cable. However, it does this annoying thing everyonce in a while where the sound will drop for a few seconds and then come back... I read this is a widespread problem with the connections that transfer sound as well as video. Anyone know if there's a way to fix it?

aperman

Neo Member
SeanR1221 said:
What monitors do you guys use? The Cinema Display is just too expensive...

Think the Cinema Display is expensive? This goes for $2,100. EIZO Coloredge CG243w. I was about to get it before I realized you can get very similar results on a Cinema Display with some more tweaking.

As far as displays go, Cinema Displays are relatively inexpensive if you get lucky on eBay, which is a lot easier than it may seem..

cg243w__33685_zoom.jpg

golem

aperman said:
As far as displays go, Cinema Displays are relatively inexpensive if you get lucky on eBay, which is a lot easier than it may seem..
I wish I could get a Thunderbolt port on this 08 Mac Pro.. kinda feeling the itch to upgrade displays.

Watch out: A true heavyweight emerges!

bydefault2011-08-02at1559.jpg

This is my beloved.
I've edited tons of video and wrote numerous essays on the way to getting a degree, have began making music and produced an album, created a website and have built up copious amounts of videos, music and photographs on it.
I even made a short stop-motion film using nothing but it's iSight camera and Photobooth.
Will be pained to get rid of this machine but am set on getting a Mini when I get a new place.

Oh yeah, I constantly see people advised against getting a Mac Mini if they intend on editing video but the Mini's by-far outstrip my machine and I edit HD video on it regularly, I even did a bit this morning, so why are people constantly talked out of getting Air's and Mini's as editing machines?

aperman

Neo Member
golem said:
I wish I could get a Thunderbolt port on this 08 Mac Pro.. kinda feeling the itch to upgrade displays.

Besides the port (which is understandably why you would want it), they're identical to the 27" LED Cinema Displays. If you want to hook up more than one, just get a new Video Card with multiple Mini Display Ports. :D

3N16MA

Banned
SeanR1221 said:
What monitors do you guys use? The Cinema Display is just too expensive...

Dell actually sells some pretty good monitors. I wish Apple would have a range of monitors like they used to have.

railGUN

Banned
My PC for work - has a Matrox MXO2 I/O card and breakout box and 3 x 1TB WD Caviar Black hard drives.
oaRIY.jpg

My laptop
DMcqf.jpg

Hope to be getting an iPad 2 soon. My first Mac was a SE back in 91-92 (I think)

Gary Whitta said:
Question: is Thunderbolt backward-compatible with Mini DisplayPort? A friend of mine just bought a new Air and wants to use it with an older Apple Cinema Display. With a regular Mini DisplayPort adapter will it work with the Air's Thunderbolt port?

Gary, there is a 35 page thread in the apple support forums that older mini display port cinema displays have flickering when hooked up to a new thunderbolt equipped Mac. I have the same issue with my 15" MBP and my Mini. Both 2011 models connected to a 24" LED Cinema Display.

Apple knows about this problem since february and has not been able to fix it. So i would advice your friend to test a thunderbolt mac with his display first before buying. Also there is no adapter needed.

On an iPhone in bed so can't post pics :)

I have a white MacBook I got back in 2007, and the most recent iMac (27" i7 beast) lol.
I successfully overclocked it yesterday, and I'm pretty impressed with the results. It's actually running cooler than on standard clocks because I upped the fan speeds. A 5-7 FPS gain in crysis is quite considerable, if anyone is interested I can detail how to do it (I generally followed advice by some people on Macrumors).

NekoFever

fmgwj.png

Got it when they were refreshed earlier in the year. I've got the one with the basic discrete GPU with 256MB RAM, which is a bit of a limiting factor, but it doesn't bite too hard because I don't do any really heavy gaming and it's plenty powerful otherwise.

SeanR1221

Benjamin1981 said:
Gary, there is a 35 page thread in the apple support forums that older mini display port cinema displays have flickering when hooked up to a new thunderbolt equipped Mac. I have the same issue with my 15" MBP and my Mini. Both 2011 models connected to a 24" LED Cinema Display.

Apple knows about this problem since february and has not been able to fix it. So i would advice your friend to test a thunderbolt mac with his display first before buying. Also there is no adapter needed.

Wait, theres flickering on old Apple Cinema Displays or on all Displays that aren't thunderbolt?

SeanR1221 said:
Wait, theres flickering on old Apple Cinema Displays or on all Displays that aren't thunderbolt?

I don't know about other brands, but older Apple Cinema Display with Mini Display Port definitly have flickering problems when connected to thunderbolt port.

JavyOO7

Wanted to see the new Mac Mini at Apple Stores but the stores near me didn't have them yet. Only the C2D models. Sad face.

Vyer

Anyone have an AppleTV? Thoughts?

Recently added another TV in the house and I'm thinking of testing a 'no tv service' setup on it. Going to get the antenna, possibly hook an HTPC to it. Wondering how the AppleTV option works.

bionic77

Jo Shishido's Cheeks said:
Watch out: A true heavyweight emerges!
I got you beat! At least with one of my Macs...

macimage.jpg

newmacimage.jpg

Upgraded the HD on both of my Macs. Didn't upgrade the newer MBP to Lion yet because I am waiting until they get all of the kinds out. On the early 2005 CoreDuo MBP I upgraded to a 7200 RPM HD (huge difference) and on my 2010 MBP I upgraded to a OWC SSD (like getting a new computer, highly recommend the brand for Macs as well). Believe it or not the CoreDuo's ram is maxed at @ 2GB :lol. I will probably max out my newer MBP later this year but honestly it runs perfectly with 4.

Strange how well my older MBP runs considering it is over 5 years old. It does chug sometimes on iPhoto and when I run Flash videos it sounds and feels like a rocket, but it is perfectly usable in my day to day use. Hopefully Apple supports Snow Leopard for awhile longer and I get some more use out of it.

Alfarif

This picture? uhh I can explain really!
Anyone know What Mac Pro I should look at if I want the oldest I could buy that sports two processors but will run Lion?

I was going to buy a new macbook pro today at the apple store to replace my late 2008 model. I ended up finding a 2.0 i7 on CG new and sealed for $1550. Now I'm updating to Lion and preparing to migrate my data over.

Struggling with the decision of whether or not I want the Kanex XD.

I don't play my 360 as much as my Wii, but I somehow feel that if I had it on the iMac display I'd play it more just because the screen is so much better than my 2004-era 19" TV.

Of course then I'd have to find space on my desk to put my 360 when I want to play it.

I'll likely won't bother though...$100 is a lot to drop on something I may not use very often.

Milhouse

Neo Member
Here's what I have:

t5m4gj.jpg

I got it as soon as it updated last year after waiting for half a year, along with the 1050 resolution. Hopefully it will last me a while. I can't afford Lion right now.

Edit: Should have mentioned it's a 15" MBP.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
Can you use the iMac as a monitor for other devices?

I assume no, but I would certainly consider a 27in if you could.

user_nat said:
Can you use the iMac as a monitor for other devices?

I assume no, but I would certainly consider a 27in if you could.

The 2010 iMac I have can accept HDMI sources using extra hardware, but I don't believe the newer models can as they ditched the mini display port for thunderbolt.

quaere

bionic77 said:
I got you beat! At least with one of my Macs...
I win.

It's still faster browsing than the iPad, and its "best web experience". It's incredible the loss of performance people will accept for the "ooh shiny!" factor. I think the iPad 2 might finally have the G4 beat though.

aswedc said:
I win.

It's still faster browsing than the iPad, and its "best web experience". It's incredible the loss of performance people will accept for the "ooh shiny!" factor. I think the iPad 2 might finally have the G4 beat though.

I kinda miss my G4 eMac, but Flash performance on the G4 is atrocious.

Alfarif

All three Macs the wife and I own and use daily. We are looking to purchase a couple Mac Pros very soon.

6004468423_a6d0fc6968_z.jpg

6004441815_8a95547e29_b.jpg

6005029744_ac6f68c7a7_b.jpg

We currently use the Mac Minis for film editing and 3D work. Surprisingly, they hold their own. They aren't the best for extremely heavy compositing or detailed 3D work, but we struggle through it. The Macbook is the general purpose Mac, but also my writing Mac.

bionic77

aswedc said:
I win.

Dat ram...

Alfarif said:
All three Macs the wife and I own and use daily. We are looking to purchase a couple Mac Pros very soon.

My 2006 MP is still beastly. Love it. I would seriously look at a used 2008 8x2.8, but look at the benchmarks for the apps you use and weigh the cost of the new ones (soon?!).

My Macs:
2006 Mac Pro 2x2.66 dual-core Xeon, 13GB, ATI 3870, 2.6TB disks
2006 MacBook 1.83 Core 2 Duo, 2GB
2003 PowerMac 2x1.8 G5, 5GB, ATI X800
2000 iMac 0.35 G3, 512MB

My partner has a 2010 13" MBP. I still get a thrill touching it.

I also use a 2010 Mini at work. Will be turning my previous one, a 2006, into a server.

Futureman

YO.

so I'm looking at either the 21.5" iMac or the 27"...

I'd either get the upper level 21" or the lower level 27". I see that these two models have the same graphics card (actually I think they are identical except for the screen size).

are there any performance issues with that card pushing the huge amount of pixels on the 27" screen? or is that really not going to be noticeable at all?

I currently have a 2010 MBP, and probably going to sell and get an iMac for Sandy Bride and larger screen for media work.

Leaning towards the 21.5" for now I guess as it's $200 less and possibly better performance due to the graphics card not having to work as hard. Plus it wouldn't take up 50% of the space in my apartment.

but yea.... maybe I should just splurge because my media will look insane on a 27" screen...

Alfarif

CrudeDiatribe said:
My 2006 MP is still beastly. Love it. I would seriously look at a used 2008 8x2.8, but look at the benchmarks for the apps you use and weigh the cost of the new ones (soon?!).

My Macs:
2006 Mac Pro 2x2.66 dual-core Xeon, 13GB, ATI 3870, 2.6TB disks
2006 MacBook 1.83 Core 2 Duo, 2GB
2003 PowerMac 2x1.8 G5, 5GB, ATI X800
2000 iMac 0.35 G3, 512MB

My partner has a 2010 13" MBP. I still get a thrill touching it.

I also use a 2010 Mini at work. Will be turning my previous one, a 2006, into a server.
Thanks! I will look at those, then. We are very FX heavy with what we do, so we need power and reliability.

Anyone not a fan of the tapered design of the Air? It's a little more than half an inch at its thickest point, and I would prefer if it were totally flat like the MacBook Pro. At half an inch all throughout the whole chassis, maybe Apple could fit a bigger battery or some extra ports.

I still love my new Air, but I feel like the crazy-thin palm rest keeps digging into my wrist while I'm using it, and it doesn't feel stable on a desk.

No_Style

Just got my first Apple computer today. I've owned Nanos and played around with my bro's iPod Touch and Macbook (Late 2008 aluminum unibody), but never owned my own computer.

Got myself a Macbook Air 11" w/ 4GB RAM, 64GB SSD, 1.6 GHz

I'm very impressed!

I'm looking into upgrading my bro's Macbook from 2GB to 8GB and maybe throwing in an SSD. Hopefully Lion will play nice with it despite being just a 2.0 GHz Core 2 Duo

Leonsito

I have a Black Macbook, the final one before they retire it, from middle 2008, I don't use it a lot, so it's in mint condition, not a single crack or scratch, beautiful.

NekoFever

Man, the old style Mac Minis look really bulky now. I remember being blown away by how tiny they were when I first saw one.

Top Bottom