• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Theme Parks & Roller Coasters |OT| The Happiest Place on GAF

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Lotte World!? WTF?!

EVERLAND, BABY!

http://www.everland.com/web/multi/english/everland/main.html

everland-everland13.jpg

D-Pad

This ride... Ninja @ Six Flags Georgia
Worst coaster in America AVOID!!

I can never think of those seats the same again after seeing some girls ride it pantyless.... ugh.
Got to adjust your seat up/down alot to get semi comfortable, Ninja has no redeeming qualities unless you somehow need a migraine.

Ninja isn't even the worst ride in the park anymore. I'm sure it's because I got taller, but Dahlonega Mine train will really test your knees. That last drop is like diving into hell.

Just got back from an incredible 4 night stay at the Royal Pacific at Universal Orlando. Some thoughts

-Unlimited express is fucking awesome. Most rides were walk-ons in the afternoon and those that weren't were usually a third of the posted wait time. Fuck fastpass.

-Rode Spider-Man 8 times total and it was running pretty great. The fire effect was only off one time (about 8 at night, which I can understand) and any other hiccups were minor (Spider Signal, ladder not working). I got probably three perfect rides. No stops or breakdowns either.

-Rode Forbidden Journey 7 times. No ride stops at all which really surprised me, and no broken effects from what I could tell. The dragon and Whomping Willow looked like they were moving fine. I really fucking love the motion when moving past the basilisk skeleton, where the bench tilts down to the right and accelerates to the left.

-Hulk was running pretty great. Definitely vibrating but not rough. I saw some complaints on another forum about some headbanging going on but didn't experience anything myself. I forgot how scary watching the coaster was compared to actually riding it lol.

-Dragons were buttery smooth, as always. So was Mummy. Fucking love that ride.

Great trip overall. Universal's become my favorite resort in Orlando.

Goldrusher

California's Great America (an hour south of San Francisco) announced their new wooden coaster.

Planned for years, it will finally open in 2013.

au13-panoramic-sld.jpg

www.cagreatamerica.com/goldstriker

length: 3,197 ft
drop: 103.3 ft
speed: 53.7 mph

3D animation off-ride: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3doDAoOtMsU
3D animation on-ride: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJlkI-XH46I

au13_ridelayout_type.jpg

SANTA CLARA, Calif., Aug. 29, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- California's Great America will open the tallest and fastest wooden roller coaster in Northern California in the spring of 2013.

High-speed twists, turns, drops, station fly-by and the Old West are the top features of Gold Striker, currently under construction at Northern California's leading thrill park and family destination. The ride will stand 108 feet at its highest point with a first drop of 103 feet at a 50-degree angle. Riders will careen along 3,197 feet of track at speeds up to 54 miles per hour. The ride experience on Gold Striker will last more than two heart-pounding minutes.

"Gold Striker reflects our commitment to providing our guests with the best thrills and entertainment value in the region," California's Great America Vice-President and General Manager Raul Rehnborg said. "This ride was uniquely designed by melding together the highest performing and most exciting features of the very best wooden roller coasters in the world. Everyone who enjoys the thrills of riding a roller coaster will want to experience Gold Striker."

The name of the ride was chosen to recognize the pioneering and adventurous spirit of the California gold-seekers who rushed the area in 1849.

Gold Striker will be located in the Celebration Plaza area of California's Great America and will be the park's eighth roller coaster. The ride will wrap around the park's Star Tower attraction.

Gold Striker is custom designed and built for the topography of California's Great America by Great Coasters International, Inc. (GCI) of Sunbury, Pennsylvania. Two trains will accommodate 24 passengers each (four riders per car and six cars per train) with a capacity of 850 riders per hour. Guests must be at least 48 inches tall to ride.

Those who cannot wait until spring may take a virtual ride on Gold Striker at cagreatamerica.com. Visitors of cagreatamerica.com may also access exclusive Gold Striker updates and features, including virtual ride renderings, ride statistics, construction photos and a live construction Web cam.

California's Great America is owned and operated by Cedar Fair Entertainment Company, a publicly traded partnership that is listed for trading on The New York Stock Exchange under the symbol "FUN." In addition to California's Great America, Cedar Fair owns and operates ten other amusement parks, six water parks, one indoor water park resort and five hotels, including Knotts Berry Farm in Buena Park, Calif. Cedar Fair also operates the Gilroy Gardens Family Theme Park in Gilroy, Calif. under a management contract.

Kimaka

I miss the Six Flags that was in Houston. My family and I used to go there every summer and it was so much fun. Sure it was a bit run down, but when we got there early in the morning, we pretty much had the park all to ourselves.

Went to Six Flags over Texas once and the lines were ridiculous. Got there early too and there were still a ton of people there.

I miss the Six Flags that was in Houston. My family and I used to go there every summer and it was so much fun. Sure it was a bit run down, but when we got there early in the morning, we pretty much had the park all to ourselves.

Went to Six Flags over Texas once and the lines were ridiculous. Got there early too and there were still a ton of people there.

Yeah, I miss Astroworld too. Some of my best memories.

Pastry

Banned

Get to Fiesta Texas before the Rattler closes (it might already be closed).

Goldrusher

Speaking of Six Flags, tomorrow they announce the new rides for every single one of their parks.
Which will include a couple véry special ones, such as this one:

Get to Fiesta Texas before the Rattler closes (it might already be closed).
It already is. It will re-open next year, better than ever, with steel track and major layout changes.

Sounds like it's a good time for theme parks. Six Flags is going to show a ton of stuff, Cedar Point's got their wingrider coming, and Universal Orlando is hammering away at Transformers (quite furiously actually, rumored June/July 2013 opening) and Potter 2.0 (with rumored Grinch coaster following that). If only Disney would get their act together. New Fantasyland doesn't look all that impressive to me and Avatar seems to be really far off.

Goldrusher

Universal Orlando is hammering away at Transformers (quite furiously actually, rumored June/July 2013 opening) and Potter 2.0 (with rumored Grinch coaster following that). If only Disney would get their act together. New Fantasyland doesn't look all that impressive to me and Avatar seems to be really far off.

Disney doesn't need new rides at the moment.

Look at the visitor numbers:

Universal Orlando:
6 mil Studios
8 mil Islands of Adventure (6 mil pre-Potter)

Walt Disney World:
17 mil Magic Kingdom
11 mil Epcot
10 mil Animal Kingdom
10 mil Studios

GManDH

the whole point of disney is not the rides; its the experience. the only reason they have rides is for the teenagers and adults. if you cant enjoy disney without the rides, or alcohol, then dont go.

Magic Kingdom needs nothing, really. It's designed to attract broad appeal of all ages. I was always able to go and enjoy Haunted Mansion, Pirates, Big Thunder, and Space Mountain. Tomorrowland is always fun at night, too.

Studios and Animal Kingdom are the parks which need the most attention.. Although, EPCOT could benefit from Disney deciding on an identity for it.

Studios needs to have the whole area between Toy Story and Star Tours completely revamped. Keep the Muppets film but update it. I like the idea behind the movie sets but Backlot and the car show are nothing but stagnant attractions sitting on valuable land. I know many people are clamoring for Cars Land to go back there but I'm not sure if that's a good idea. Will it sell merch? Definitely it would. But, it cheapens the aspect of the park. I really don't want Studios to become what EPCOT has become.

EPCOT is suffering a giant identity crisis. I could write a whole post on the park but I'd rather not. The World Showcase gets a lot right. However, the rest of the park needs a lot of work. The best part about EPCOT, besides Test Track, Mission Space and Illuminations, is Off Kilter and the band that plays in the UK. Future World West (Captain EO side) is a creative grave yard on all accounts.

Animal Kingdom should become really interesting once the Avatar project starts to take shape. They need to reroute that awful parade, too. It's a pain to get around the park once that thing starts.

aparisi2274

Magic Kingdom just needs one big new ride. It hasn't had one since, what, Splash Mountain?

Magic Kingdom is in the midst a MAJOR expansion to Fantasyland. Once this is open (late this year), the crowds are going to triple. And once the Seven Dwarves Mine train coaster opens in 2014, the lines will be even longer...

The other WDW parks need refreshing....

AK is getting Avatarland in like 2015
Epcot is getting a major Test Track refurb
DHS: ??? (rumors of a Monsters Inc. coaster have been tossed around for years)
MK: See above.

Oh shit! Theme Park thread! Any TPR members lurking here?

Tomorrow's the big day for several Six Flags announcements. My "home park" is Six Flags over Texas. Hoping something good is coming for us in 2013!

Sorry in advance Six Flags St Louis

I'd hate to lose Lights Motors Action, but you're right that the Backlot Tour is a bit played out. They certainly shouldn't move Cars Land in, though; build a new experience around the movies instead.

I know Test Track's getting a makeover, but is there anything else planned for that area?

Magic Kingdom is in the midst a MAJOR expansion to Fantasyland. Once this is open (late this year), the crowds are going to triple. And once the Seven Dwarves Mine train coaster opens in 2014, the lines will be even longer...

All well and good, but there's no big, headline grabbing ride. The Mine Cart ride looks novel, but I'm not sure it'll grab people's attention in the manner of a new Mountain.

Disney doesn't need new rides at the moment.

Look at the visitor numbers:

Unpopular opinion I'm sure, but WDW has gotten really stagnant for me. I love their hotels and guest service (second to none) but the rides (outside of ToT, Splash, and Star Tours) aren't doing it for me anymore. Not to say their other rides aren't generally of quality, I don't feel like coming back to them once a year like with Universal's. Hell, I rode Spider-Man 8 times on my last trip (thanks, Express) and could have gone for more. I know Avatar will be able to match or even surpass Spidey and FJ, but they're moving very slowly on that.

As for the numbers, some things are obvious like Everest and Cars Land - those parks clearly needed those attractions to thrive. But I'd be interested to know if they built Indy because DL attendance was down, or if they updated Star Tours because it wasn't pulling expected wait times. Still, complacency isn't a good thing imo. Like MK may be pulling huge numbers but Splash badly needs a refurb...when was the last time the Laughing Place scene was fully working? Disney doesn't need to directly "respond" to Universal but a new E-ticket every few years can't be that much to ask for with the business they're doing.

All well and good, but there's no big, headline grabbing ride. The Mine Cart ride looks novel, but I'm not sure it'll grab people's attention in the manner of a new Mountain.

Heard on another forum that the track layout is supposed to be pretty short with very few show scenes. Consensus is that it looks D-ticket at best. Hopefully the info was wrong or that it will turn out better.

aparisi2274

Oh shit! Theme Park thread! Any TPR members lurking here?

Tomorrow's the big day for several Six Flags announcements. My "home park" is Six Flags over Texas. Hoping something good is coming for us in 2013!

Sorry in advance Six Flags St Louis

My "home park" is Six Flags Great Adventure and they supposed to announce something, but I am pretty sure its not going to be anything major... Although it would be nice if they announced that Giga-Drop ride that will be attached to Kingda Ka.

Borman

Going to Disney World on my honeymoon in just over 2 weeks, last time I went Everest was still under construction, so I am looking forward to it

Everest is really great, yeah. Dem Gs.

Heard on another forum that the track layout is supposed to be pretty short with very few show scenes. Consensus is that it looks D-ticket at best. Hopefully the info was wrong or that it will turn out better.

So E-tickets are the most high-profile rides, and D-tickets are less so?

Interesting. Not particularly surprising (Fantasyland supports cheaper character rides rather than heavy hitters), but a little disappointing.

Goldrusher

So E-tickets are the most high-profile rides, and D-tickets are less so?
Between the late 50s and late 70s, the Disney parks were much cheaper to enter, but you also had to buy tickets for each ride.
The bigger the ride, the more expensive the ticket.

A through E, with E being the most expensive ticket, for the biggest rides. Ever since, the biggest rides are called "E-ticket rides".

It will be pretty long, longer than your average family coaster.
But it's not meant to be another enormous mountain ride.

The cars are amazing though, it's basically a suspended coaster above the track.
Look at this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvLExG8CAQE

Goldrusher

Six Flags Magic Mountain

Full Throttle

http://content.sixflags.com/newfor2013/magicmountain/full-throttle

main_LAFullThrottle.jpg

CGI video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OzZcHQT_q58

WOW!

The ending is a bit abrupt, but that looping/camelback element. Wow!

In 2013 Six Flags Magic Mountain is going Full Throttle with another world-record: the tallest, fastest looping roller coaster in the world! Unlike traditional coasters, this unique, one-of-a-kind triple launch coaster will take the coaster experience to the next generation with a never-been-done-before launch up and over a “Top Hat” that traces the outside of a world-record 160-foot loop — plus a zero to 70 miles-per-hour acceleration on two forward launches and one backward launch into and out of an underground tunnel.

Your record-breaking adventure will take place through the park’s distinctive mountainous terrain onboard sleek trains that suddenly accelerate from zero to 70 miles-per-hour in the first of three launches, sending you blasting through the first inversion, the inside of the world-record 160-foot tall loop. You’ll then enter into a high-banked curve to the right and then to the left as you approach the second gut-wrenching inversion — a Dive Loop that rapidly drops you into a dark underground tunnel. After a brief stop, you’ll suddenly be launched backwards up to the high point of the Dive Loop where you’ll be dropped and magnetically launched a third time, racing out of the tunnel and through a high G-turn to the left. You’ll then shoot up and over the outside of the World Record loop, where you’ll experience significant air time and a breath-taking view of the park as you drop back down to Earth, rapidly decelerating and taking the final 180-degree turn to the left, returning to the station where you can catch your breath.

Full Throttle will be located near the front of the park in a newly themed five-acre section where guests will experience high-energy action through fast-paced imagery, sound and lights. With this addition, Six Flags Magic Mountain, the Thrill Capital of the World, firmly holds the coveted “Coaster Capital of the World” crown — with a total of 18 roller coasters — more than any other theme park on the planet.

Goldrusher

Six Flags Fiesta Texas

Iron Rattler

http://content.sixflags.com/newfor2013/fiestatexas/iron-rattler

main_SANAIronRattler.jpg

CGI video 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1Ey4k6lN44 --> more of a commercial
CGI video 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmbNSPl_i4o --> more footage

The Rattler reborn. Steel track and a new layout featuring an inversion.

Six Flags Fiesta Texas announces plans to unveil its newest addition and structural landmark as the highly anticipated hybrid coaster Iron Rattler will make its’ dashing debut next spring at Six Flags Fiesta Texas.

The Iron Rattler will be a unique technological marvel combining a classic wooden support structure with modern track and rails crafted of steel, allowing for unprecedented smooth and swift over-banked turns and inversions never before experienced on either a traditional steel or wooden coaster. Utilizing state-of-the-art Iron Horse Track™©® the innovative Iron Rattler will provide four over-banked turns, the most of any hybrid coaster today, and will be the first to deliver an inverted barrel roll for an awe-inspiring adventure in and around the surrounding 100-ft. quarry wall setting!

With its unique construction, the Iron Rattler will have:

• A staggering drop of 171 feet with an amazing drop angle of 81 degrees.
• A blazing top speed of 70 mph.
• Four over-banked turns — more than any other hybrid coaster, and the first of its kind to
feature a completely inverted barrel roll.

The Iron Rattler will be a force to be reckoned with and a unique technological marvel, combining a classic wooden support structure with modern track and rails crafted of steel . “Six Flags has innovation as part of our DNA and the Iron Rattler will take extreme innovation to a new level with a taller drop, faster speed and steeper banks. This cutting-edge coaster truly marries the best of both classic and modern coaster designs to deliver heart-pounding thrills,” said park president Martin Bozer.

The steel track will be constructed by Rocky Mountain Construction Group, the same group that helped design the New Texas Giant at Six Flags Over Texas. According to Tim Baldwin, editor of Rollercoaster! Magazine, "The Rattler’s transformation is expected to be nothing short of spectacular. This innovation is so new in the amusement industry; it has only been done once before. The results were tremendous, and Six Flags Fiesta Texas' project should be equally amazing."

I thought that Full Throttle was called YOLO for one horrible second.

Ride looks insane, though. I need to go back to Magic Mountain at some point.

I'll gladly trade this for Gate Keeper at Cedar Point. Put it along the beach, too.

Don't write off GateKeeper. I foolishly thought Maverick wasn't going to be anything special when it first came out, and it ended up being fucking amazing. It's a B&M and not an Intamin (I definitely prefer the Intamins at CP), but I'm still excited about it.

Plus, it will be nice to have the front of the park get a much-needed overhaul.

Cedar Point has more than enough rides which loop. They need a modern wooden coaster along the lines of what Great America in California is getting. But big loops, speed, and height do much more for marketing than a well balanced and fun wooden coaster.

Don't write off GateKeeper. I foolishly thought Maverick wasn't going to be anything special when it first came out, and it ended up being fucking amazing. It's a B&M and not an Intamin (I definitely prefer the Intamins at CP), but I'm still excited about it.

Plus, it will be nice to have the front of the park get a much-needed overhaul.

Yeah the front area there sucked because the only ride really was wicked twister.

Cedar Point has more than enough rides which loop. They need a modern wooden coaster along the lines of what Great America in California is getting. But big loops, speed, and height do much more for marketing than a well balanced and fun wooden coaster.

A lot of the best wooden roller coasters are great because they're built in really interesting terrain with plenty of room (e.g. The Beast). Cedar Point doesn't have that option because they're on a flat, cramped peninsula.

I'm not saying CP/CF isn't capable of making a great woodie, but it would be quite a challenge.

A lot of the best wooden roller coasters are great because they're built in really interesting terrain with plenty of room (e.g. The Beast). Cedar Point doesn't have that option because they're on a flat, cramped peninsula.

I'm not saying CP/CF isn't capable of making a great woodie, but it would be quite a challenge.

I think gemini is a great coaster. There was this super, super long racer at Great America, cant remember its name. It took you liek 10-15 minutes to walk to the actual platform though with no line lol.

The Beast really doesn't do much anymore. It was great for its time because it was long but it mainly goes on a straight path through the woods. There's relatively no camelbacks, turns, or anything exciting until the end. The end death helix unfortunately got neutered with even more brakes once Cedar Fair took over Kings Island.

The Voyage, Ravine Flyer II, and Boulder Dash are great examples of using their terrain. There's also many other great wooden coasters such as El Toro, The New Texas Giant, The Kentucky Rumbler, and the new one at Great America in California which were built on flat pieces of land.

B.K.

skyscreamer03_8x10_300dpi.jpg

for 2013 at Six Flags Over Georgia

Oh hell no! I will do any coaster but not one of those things.

I've never been able to ride stuff like that. Going in circles makes me really sick. I went on the teacups at Disney World when I was a kid and felt like I was going to die. It was horrible.

I think gemini is a great coaster. There was this super, super long racer at Great America, cant remember its name. It took you liek 10-15 minutes to walk to the actual platform though with no line lol.

Strictly speaking, Gemini isn't really a woodie. The supports are wood, but the track is steel. It's definitely great. One of my favorites.

The Beast really doesn't do much anymore. It was great for its time because it was long but it mainly goes on a straight path through the woods. There's relatively no camelbacks, turns, or anything exciting until the end. The end death helix unfortunately got neutered with even more brakes once Cedar Fair took over Kings Island.

The Voyage, Ravine Flyer II, and Boulder Dash are great examples of using their terrain. There's also many other great wooden coasters such as El Toro, The New Texas Giant, The Kentucky Rumbler, and the new one at Great America in California which were built on flat pieces of land.

Oh, I'm not saying it's impossible. It's just tricky, especially when Cedar Point doesn't have much land to spare. But I don't think Mean Streak will stay up forever, so perhaps they'll tear it down and give it another try.

We could use a bump in here. These are some pictures I've taken from different parks across the eastern half of the United States. Unforunately all the picture were off of various point and shoots. I don't have the funds for a nice DSLR. I have more to share later. I can upload the originals for desktop background use, too.

dsc01484s5odh1.jpg

Chang (Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom)

dsc01485sy9ip3.jpg

Chang (Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom)

img_2132saoc2x.jpg

Magic Kingdom (The Walt Disney World Resort)

img_2370s4cfro.jpg

Tower of Terror (Disney's Hollywood Studios-The Walt Disney World Resort)

img_2922scxe3f.jpg

Hollywood Rip, Ride, Rockit (Universal Studios Orlando)

img_3061sgadjp.jpg

Ripsaw Falls (Islands of Adventure)

img_3409sj1fjr.jpg

Cinderlla's Castle During The Holidays

img_3422s90fb3.jpg

Manta (SeaWorld Orlando)

Went to Wonderland today

Leviathan, so good, worth the 1 hour wait

Behemoth only had a 10 minute wait, very surprised lol

And is there a report on seasonal park attendance? I know Wonderland is right up there

Goldrusher

Why has it ruined half the park?..... not being funny, I haven't visited Universal for several years.
Because Universal Studios just isn't a park where I want a coaster going over and even through the street sets.

Especially if that coaster looks like ass, without flow or grace like a coaster should look like. Instead, it looks broken and under construction.

5604929604_ecf5b1a4f0_b.jpg

I've been to both Six Flags Magic Mountain and Great Adventure.

Great Adventure trumps it easily.

I've been to both as well, Magic Mountain completely wins. Great Adventure feels so small and feels like its just set up in a parking lot. I prefer the variety of terrains at MM and the rides are more interesting

Top Bottom