• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SF BayGaf

Is this the thread for complaining about 880?

Good to see so many familiar faces here from previous Bay Area meet ups. We should get another one going sometime in the near future.

gcubed

SFBay GAF will have a new member this year! I'll be moving out there in the late summer/early fall. Looking in the Foster City/Redwood City area to stay between SF and work

I lived in Sausalito for a year then moved to Tiburon to an awesome fucking house sitting right on Richardson's Bay. This was in high school (I went to Marin Academy).

I had to move to the DC area a few years later. I was very bitter. I still miss the Bay Area and hope to move back there one day.

Also to those meeting the best thing to do is to see who is available and in what region. The last one I went to was in Berkeley on Shattuck, we went from one bar to a pool hall and it was really fun.

Indeed it was. Where are you, Peter and Alex?

I've been living in Berkeley for the past two years for school. I'm doing some traveling right now, but I'll be moving back almost immediately.

Edit: derp, right above me

880 is so horrible. After 4+ years of commuting on that freeway, I feel like that highway has finally broke me. I still don't understand how it's empty Friday morning, but total chaos later in the afternoon.

I want to say I'd rather drive through the I-10 every day.... Nah.

Baseball game meet-up would be fun.

And South Bay meet-up wouldn't be too bad. Could carpool with people if need be.

Berkeley Meet-Up was loads of fun, especially how the last of us ended up at Sumo Grub in the end after starting at Jupiter.

see5harp

I went a SF Bulls game last weekend. That shit was depressing. It's hard to imagine any of those players making the big time. Also, Cow Palace is soooooo shitty.

South Bay living Ravens fan here, and I never feel like i'm taking my life into my hands (although I do worry some idiot might steal my Ravens magnet on my car) But at the gym the other day, while wearing Ravens gear, two dudes cornered me, but they Raiders fans and wished me luck.

Indeed it was. Where are you, Peter and Alex?

I've been living in Berkeley for the past two years for school. I'm doing some traveling right now, but I'll be moving back almost immediately.

Edit: derp, right above me

Right now I'm in Portland =o but my parent's home is in the East Bay as well. That's my main drag. SF is cool and all but East Bay born and raised.

What. When was the Berkeley Shattuck meetup? I freaking live there. =|

I think it was March or something of last year. At the february one in SF people got to meet Timedizzle.

I guess this is the closest to home in a thread that I'll ever have. We aren't going to have a true nor cal thread :(.

Hi from Chico. Where Fraudgers was born and raised.

Man, camera crews everywhere on my block in the Haight Ashbury today. Guess they're digging in the backyard of one of the houses here hoping to find the body of Kevin Collins, a young boy who went missing about a hundred feet from here in 1984.

Crazy. Helicopters, news trucks, taped off areas and and a mobile police command center.

ezekial45

Banned
Man, camera crews everywhere on my block in the Haight Ashbury today. Guess they're digging in the backyard of one of the houses here hoping to find the body of Kevin Collins, a young boy who went missing about a hundred feet from here in 1984.

Crazy. Helicopters, news trucks, taped off areas and and a mobile police command center.

Oh shit, I used to live around there. That's crazy.

Oh shit, I used to live around there. That's crazy.
A truly surreal scene to come home to. Growing up here I knew the stories and saw his face on milk cartons everywhere, but I had no idea that it went down so close to where I live now. The house they're searching is just across the street and around the corner from where he was last seen. Insane to think about.

For the family's sake I hope they find what they need to.

A truly surreal scene to come home to. Growing up here I knew the stories and saw his face on milk cartons everywhere, but I had no idea that it went down so close to where I live now. The house they're searching is just across the street and around the corner from where he was last seen. Insane to think about.

For the family's sake I hope they find what they need to.

It makes you wonder how many missing kids are just in someone's backyard. After watching shit about folks like Fred and Rose West I shudder just thinking about it.

Hey there's always stuff to find like this gem called Original Gravity

That place left me unimpressed which i had high hopes for :( and is a pain in the ass to park when you just want a good beer. Good Karma right around the corner i think is better if you're in the area.

You should check out Harry's Hofbrau for beer on Saratoga. It's totally unassuming because a bunch of old people eat there for cafeteria style food, but the beer menu there is pretty nuts. They're one of the few places that will be getting Pliny The Younger in the next couple of weeks. A lot of brew reps come out there too and resupply/have brew nights.

Teskes Germania is pretty fun on polka nights, which is almost every night. Good belgian/german beers, good food, great atmosphere. Also right next door to an irish bar called Trials!

Still favorite bar near South Bay/Peninsula is Rose & Crown in downtown Palo Alto.

Superbowl is nearly upon us, and if you're looking for a great Ravens bar in San Francisco, go to Thieves Tavern in the Mission. Any South Bay Ravens fans can come to my house.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Oh god is thieves tavern really supporting the ravens? I love that place :(

Oh god is thieves tavern really supporting the ravens? I love that place :(

There's a transplant Ravens group that call it home every Sunday. Not sure if the bar itself is a Ravens bar, but there were 150+ Ravens fans there last Sunday, and I'm sure more this weekend.

Kabuto

Is this the thread for complaining about 880?

Good to see so many familiar faces here from previous Bay Area meet ups. We should get another one going sometime in the near future.

880 is pretty bad, I don't drive on it often but when I do there's always traffic. I took it so I could get to Valley Fair last week and the line to the Stevens Creek exit went on for miles.

Vilam

Maxis Redwood
Mountain View for me. I like the laid back South Bay.

As a packers fan that went to packers-49ers game...I felt like I was gonna get mugged or shanked.

Really? I went to the Dolphins game and had a bunch of pleasant interactions with 49ers fans. The only bad part was getting out of the parking lot afterwards took just as long as watching the game.

Perfect timing for this thread! I'll be going to SF for the first time on Sunday. I'll be in the Financial District for some training.

If you all were moving out of the state, what are the three things/places you would eat before you do? I'll do Yelp and Tripadvisor, but nothing like some good GAF advice for foodies.

You're reasonably close to my personal favorite restaurant (if you like Indian food). Try Little Delhi near the Powell St BART. It's a hole in the wall, but so delicious. I doubt they'll draw the Super Bowl crowd there either.

We should get tickets to a Sharks game and go :D

Or baseball when that starts back up, would be cheaper.

Sharks games are always a good time, I'm just generally indifferent about the team. Wish the Panthers came out here to play them more often.

twinfin

Neo Member
King of Thai in North Beach is a great place to catch up, watch sports and get cheap beers. Although I can't even imagine how busy it's going to be for the Super Bowl...

Toki767

You guys should check out YakiniQ in Japantown for really good all you can eat Korean BBQ. Their pork belly is great. I believe they'll also be playing the game on Sunday.

butzopower

proud of his butz

I live like two blocks from you.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Really? I went to the Dolphins game and had a bunch of pleasant interactions with 49ers fans. The only bad part was getting out of the parking lot afterwards took just as long as watching the game.

Yes, really. Rough crowd. 49ers fans screaming all manner of horrible things at Packer fans, knocking their Cheese Hats off as they're going to their seats, calling them "fudgepackers," punching the seats when the 49ers fucked up. I really didn't feel safe in that stadium in packers gear. Maybe because it was the playoffs or maybe because I'm not used to NFL games (only ever been to one previously Broncos-Eagles in Denver where I was in Bronco gear), since most of the games I ever go to college games and they seem to just generally more polite and I'm used to them. To be fair there were a good handful of very polite 49ers fans that would at most give you a little friendly ribbing, but man they were not the majority.

And yes, FUCK getting out of Candlestick. So bad.

Kambing

Some foodie tips, all my opinion of course:

Best Ramen - Sawaii Ramen, 2240 Irving SF. Around $10-13 for a bowl/person. Seriously this shit is the bomb. Best ramen i have ever had, hands down. Get the tonkatsu ramen with extra porkbelly and egg. You will thank me. Also, go lunch time, food seems to taste better haha.

Best Beef - House of Prime Rib, 1906 Van Ness SF. Be ready to spend $40-65 a person, upper limit with inclusion of alchohol. I've had pretty freaking good steak and prime rib at lots of restaurants and this place right here is my favorite. Its really my favorite restaurant now that i think about it. Very simple menu(only prime rib and "catch of the day" which tends to be salmon) with good sides. If you go here get the creamed spinach. Moderate wine selection. Good for those on keto/primal diet, just order two servings of the spinach.

Best Sushi - Sushiholic, 112 Vintage Way Novato. $15-40 a person. Really fresh fish combined with awesome awesome rolls at a good price. The piece of fish they give you, be it sashimi or sushi is just massive. I recommend the hawaiin butterfish, toro, and salmon belly.

Top Bottom