• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SF BayGaf

catabarez

Any fellow SJSU students on here?

Also on another note if anybody is in the Livermore area, I found this burger joint with amazing burgers, John's Char Burgers. It looks a little shady, but I can vouch for the quality.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
I live in the East Bay (Dublin, Tri-Valley area) in a condo with my parents.

It's pretty much a bedroom community with the amenities that you'll find in the suburbs. For me, I live five minutes away from the Dublin/Pleasanton Bart station so I barely use gas in my car. Movie theater's close by (Regal Hacienda), plenty of green space and lots of things are in walking distance.

Usually on Thursdays they would have the farmer's market in Emerald Glen Park but I think they stopped due to the autumn season, but the one in Downtown Pleasanton is open on Saturdays.

Also, they just opened the Paragon Outlets today so yeah, 580 is a bitch to drive on - stick to the side streets.

I work in Newark and live in Pleasanton. I was born and raised in the East Bay.

Toki767

I went to the new Paragon Outlets a month ago. It was pretty small. That said, it's a lot easier to get through all the stores in a day there than say Gilroy or the Great Mall.

I work in Newark and live in Pleasanton. I was born and raised in the East Bay.

Nice nice. I haven't lived anywhere else but the East Bay and am not really sure if I'd leave strangely. It's quite comfortable despite the roads being a hassle.

Had a weird surprise when I went to Stoneridge last night and bought some shoes - wasn't charged for a bag and was told that they weren't charging yet. Found it hilarious as in Dublin, we're charged for bags but not 'next door' as I thought both Dublin/Pleasanton had the plastic bag ban.

jiggle

Neighbor!

My favorite sushi place would be Kenzo on Snell Ave. in South San Jose. It's all you can eat, but the quality is pretty good compared to the other Sushi buffets I've been to.

yeah really good place to gorge on on rolls and nigiri
they opened a branch in campbell that's slightly better imo

You been on campus lately? The new student union is looking nice so far.

I haven't been on campus in like 8 years. I did shit behind the bushes where the RTVF building is and wiped my butt with the school newspaper after a drunken night in downtown SJ a few years ago though. My friend went back the next day and saw the shit.

harSon

Banned
Any fellow SJSU students on here?

Also on another note if anybody is in the Livermore area, I found this burger joint with amazing burgers, John's Char Burgers. It looks a little shady, but I can vouch for the quality.

My mom worked there for a decade, so I'm probably more familiar with the campus than the one I went too. I probably would have attended SJSU if my mom had still been working there when I was ready to go to college. I believe with my mother's discount, tuition would have been cheaper than a community college.

Al-ibn Kermit

Porter, though I didn't live on campus for long. I was 24 at the time and everyone around me was young and getting drunk or high all the time. I've been living off campus with grad students since then. How was it at Oakes? I hate it when I have classes there because it's way out of the way.

I had a Merrill class 15 minutes after an Oakes class last quarter. 1.5 miles uphill, the campus layout is a bit ridiculous.

harSon

Banned
I had a Merrill class 15 minutes after an Oakes class last quarter. 1.5 miles uphill, the campus layout is a bit ridiculous.

Yeah, and it only gets worst during the rainy season. The busses/shuttles get stupid crowded, and people use the numbered busses to get from college to college (assholes).

Live in SF, technically in the Seacliff neighborhood (but it's also straddling the Central Richmond). Work in the East Bay...dat commute. Bleh.

Yeah, and it only gets worst during the rainy season. The busses/shuttles get stupid crowded, and people use the numbered busses to get from college to college (assholes).

Parking permits, if I remember we're ridiculously priced. My first quarter as a commuter, the permit was like 700 bucks.

Kambing

Is it really that good? I pass that place all the time.

My favorite sushi joint is this little place in San Bruno called Hiro's. Once the staff know you as a regular, they usually hook you up with extra stuff.

Speaking of food, gonna try Atelier Crenn with some coworkers in a few months. Also going to hit Morimoto's up in Napa with some friends in a couple weeks. Next trip to French Laundry is November.

/foodie

For sushi and rolls, i really do think this place rocks. The other Japanese dishes are pretty much just standerd fare though. Will have to try Hiro's out!

I'm going to San Fran tomorrow. Not for a happy reason though. My Grandma is dying and I need to be there. It kind of sucks to have to go to a new place just to grieve. I mean, my grandma obviously don't want me to be miserable and have fun, but it's also hard to have fun during something like this. It feels disrespectful.

Toki767

For sushi and rolls, i really do think this place rocks. The other Japanese dishes are pretty much just standerd fare though. Will have to try Hiro's out!
Hiro's is good. They are Korean owned though so be aware of that if you only want authentic Japanese food. Peanut butter dragon roll was amazing though.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
I usually hit the mission for bars since it's not too far from my place.

Shotwell's maybe?

what's this dependency lean on?

As, see cause I'm south bay and not really familiar at all with the city or public transit at all, so I wouldn't want to go too far and all that.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
no worries man. i think i may just keep in tonight. maybe ill use my powers of posting for good and see if i can finagle another meetup soon so you have some fellow bart riders to tag along with.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
no worries man. i think i may just keep in tonight. maybe ill use my powers of posting for good and see if i can finagle another meetup soon so you have some fellow bart riders to tag along with.

Thanks man, will do. Just don't wanna fly solo on it at least initally.

Bart is public transit on it's easiest mode honestly. If you just need that you're set.

Times to get there
http://www.bart.gov/schedules/quick...4TH&addr2=&type=departure&date=today&time=now

Times to get back post 10pm
http://www.bart.gov/schedules/quick...ype=departure&date=today&more=ld&time=9:41+PM

Thank you, those will come in handy.

Thanks man, will do. Just don't wanna fly solo on it at least initally.

Thank you, those will come in handy.

There's probably an APP too if you have a smartphone. I'm used to using the site though since I didn't have a smart phone when I was living down there.

SF GAF, my anniversary with my lady is coming up soon. I need some good restaurant recommendations. Any kind of food is fine.

SF GAF, my anniversary with my lady is coming up soon. I need some good restaurant recommendations. Any kind of food is fine.
You're going to have to narrow it down a little bit - way too many options around here. Price range? Area? Type of cuisine? Ambiance?
maybe ill use my powers of posting for good and see if i can finagle another meetup soon so you have some fellow bart riders to tag along with.
Do it!

Dressy ambiance. Suit and fancy dress. Idk what my price range is. I just graduated so I'm pretty broke but then again it's our two years....

Dressy ambiance. Suit and fancy dress. Idk what my price range is. I just graduated so I'm pretty broke but then again it's our two years....
Chapeau in the Inner Richmond would work well. Good food, classy & romantic atmosphere, very nice people running the place. Other good bets are The House in North Beach, Foreign Cinema in the Mission, and Absinthe in Hayes Valley depending on how much you want to spend.

EDIT:
Look up Chapeau. Might be too pricey though.
Heh, that's the first one I thought of, too.

Born in San Francisco, lived in Vacaville, until I moved to Houston six years ago. Still have a ton of family who live in Oakland and Hayward. My older brother drives the cables cars that go down Powell Street.

As, see cause I'm south bay and not really familiar at all with the city or public transit at all, so I wouldn't want to go too far and all that.

If you're from the South Bay you can take any of the CalTrain stations all the way up to 4th Street/King in SF which will dump you off across from AT&T Park. There will be tons of cabs hanging out there.

You can also take the BART from the Fremont station. You have more stopping options on BART and better walking distance from each station to and from with more options than Caltrain.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
If you're from the South Bay you can take any of the CalTrain stations all the way up to 4th Street/King in SF which will dump you off across from AT&T Park. There will be tons of cabs hanging out there.

You can also take the BART from the Fremont station. You have more stopping options on BART and better walking distance from each station to and from with more options than Caltrain.

Thanks, but like I said, I'm just too inexperienced at riding public transit to trust myself solo on them right now.

Rootbeer

Banned
Thanks, but like I said, I'm just too inexperienced at riding public transit to trust myself solo on them right now.

You should practice. When I first moved here I was confused too but it was so simple after I learned how to look at the BART map... which is the most straightforward thing I have ever seen now that I've used the trains for so long.

Now muni is another matter. The trains are easy enough, the bus routes look like a tangled web so you have to practice more on those.

I'd recommend just picking a destination you haven't been to before and want to visit, and make an effort to BART/Muni there as an experiment. You'll get the hang of it.

Having a smartphone helps. There are tons of apps for this kind of thing. Google Maps is by far the most versatile though. Apple maps doesn't have public transit info :/ For BART/Muni arrival times I use Routsey Pro. Google maps has arrival times but it's a bit of a convoluted process if you have lots of routes you regularly use. Dedicated apps let you bookmark your stops, etc.

If you SERIOUSLY get lost, most bus stops have maps on them or nearby.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
You should practice. When I first moved here I was confused too but it was so simple after I learned how to look at the BART map... which is the most straightforward thing I have ever seen now that I've used the trains for so long.

Now muni is another matter. The trains are easy enough, the bus routes look like a tangled web so you have to practice more on those.

I'd recommend just picking a destination you haven't been to before and want to visit, and make an effort to BART/Muni there as an experiment. You'll get the hang of it.

Having a smartphone helps. There are tons of apps for this kind of thing. Google Maps is by far the most versatile though. Apple maps doesn't have public transit info :/ For BART/Muni arrival times I use Routsey Pro. Google maps has arrival times but it's a bit of a convoluted process if you have lots of routes you regularly use. Dedicated apps let you bookmark your stops, etc.

If you SERIOUSLY get lost, most bus stops have maps on them or nearby.

I just don't normally have a need to use it, to add to it. I think I'll try it but, I just don't wanna do it alone. I have no idea how fares or routes or parking when I get to my first station or stops work and I don't wanna be midwestern kid stuck alone in downtown San Fran.

Top Bottom