• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Who here lives in Florida?

Mikor

North Broward area reporting in. Had no idea there were so many other gaffers in South Florida, a meetup would be awesome!

Malleymal

You now belong to FMT.
Was just down in Florida for business... Did Jacksonville, Orlando , Miami and Fort Lauderdale... All fun and different.. Jacksonville was pretty weird.

Stopped by Daytona for the 500 festivities. Different as well.

Love the weather

bjb

Banned
Orlando.

Go Knights

Edit: Is that project even happening? I thought Scott pulled the plug on it. Would have connected Tampa and Orlando, right?

Chea! Go Knights. By the way - did you used to play Halo 1 online over Xbox Connect or something? I vaguely remember a very similar screen name.

So many South Florida Gaffers and we can't even get a decent meetup organized. What's up with that?

This was the most recent meet up I believe. Not that many people showed, though. Like maybe 3 total.

Necrovex

Chea! Go Knights. By the way - did you used to play Halo 1 online over Xbox Connect or something? I vaguely remember a very similar screen name.

This was the most recent meet up I believe. Not that many people showed, though. Like maybe 3 total.

Heh, I remember that meet up. Yeah, there were only the three of us. Pity the meet up wasn't more successful.

I3rand0 was planning on trying again, but it seemed he didn't have the time. Someone should really try to organize another meet up!

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Too many Gainesville people are UF students/passing through from my experience.

Depends on how much it rains. May tends to be a pretty wet month, although not as wet as June/July as Link mentioned. Expect temperatures in the mid 80s to mid 90s. Also expect plenty of humidity.
well I'll be there the tail-end of May, so I assume a bit of both. Anything in particular I should make absolutely sure to see/do there? I'll be right near las olas at the beach.

bjb

Banned
Heh, I remember that meet up. Yeah, there were only the three of us. Pity the meet up wasn't more successful.

I3rand0 was planning on trying again, but it seemed he didn't have the time. Someone should really try to organize another meet up!

I see you met my brother >.>

You shut your lying whore mouths!

Jacksonville here too, I dunno - I kinda love it here.

Weather is usually really good (past 10 days excluded), some of the best golf in america, NFL football (hurrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr, like the Jags are real football, LA Jags, move to london, etc) River for water sports, great food, no state income tax, great local breweries, Economy is great for me, etc.

I dunno, maybe Im doing it wrong or something .. but I cant complain. Go Jags!

All that stuff is great. Maybe its just the culture I'm tired of or maybe I've been here all my life and its gotten a little stale. Either way there are definitely worse places to live the US even in Florida so yea, maybe I was just jumpin on the "Jax Sux" train quick.

Edit: Speaking of the breweries, JaxGAF should have a meet at Intuition Ale Works or something. Beer always makes everything better!

Ecotic

I'm on the Georgia side of the Georgia-Florida border, so I go to Florida all the time (Jacksonville mostly).

BreakyBoy

o_O @_@ O_o
well I'll be there the tail-end of May, so I assume a bit of both. Anything in particular I should make absolutely sure to see/do there? I'll be right near las olas at the beach.

I mean, it really depends on what you're interested in. Beaches and nightlife we have in abundance. If you're into Caribbean/Hispanic cuisine (and you should be), we have an embarrassment of riches for you. Outside of those things, the pickings get a little more slim, but there's probably something.

Any of those things interest you in particular? What kind of things do you gravitate to when you travel, or you're looking to relax/have fun? Are you trying to stay within the Ft. Lauderdale area, or are you able to drive down 30-40 minutes to the Miami area for more options?

I'm sure if I can't think of something that fits your criteria, someone here will.

I mean, it really depends on what you're interested in. Beaches and nightlife we have in abundance. If you're into Caribbean/Hispanic cuisine (and you should be), we have an embarrassment of riches for you. Outside of those things, the pickings get a little more slim, but there's probably something.

Any of those things interest you in particular? What kind of things do you gravitate to when you travel, or you're looking to relax/have fun? Are you trying to stay within the Ft. Lauderdale area, or are you able to drive down 30-40 minutes to the Miami area for more options?

I'm sure if I can't think of something that fits your criteria, someone here will.
We (meaning myself and a few friends) just want to chill on the beach, eat some nice food, and see some nightlife action. A little of everything, I suppose. I'm not a picky eater, either, so if you have good examples of carribean cuisine in that area of ft lauderdale I'm down to try. I want to stay on foot/cab, since I plan on being drunk/buzzed 99% of my time there.

Isn't EA / Tiburon in Orlando? They need help bro. Have you seen the latest Madden.....

From what I remember Tiburon's struggled most of this generation. Massive layoffs a couple of years back.

They need help sure, but probably not new employees.

BreakyBoy

o_O @_@ O_o
Im just defending Florida's honor.As a native Floridian it is my duty.

As a native South Floridian, you should know that there really isn't much honor to defend! Most of the people down here take pride in that. It's like us, and Vegas.

We (meaning myself and a few friends) just want to chill on the beach, eat some nice food, and see some nightlife action. A little of everything, I suppose. I'm not a picky eater, either, so if you have good examples of carribean cuisine in that area of ft lauderdale I'm down to try. I want to stay on foot/cab, since I plan on being drunk/buzzed 99% of my time there.

Sadly, the only thing that's coming to mind in the downtown FTL area is Jerk Machine. It's cheap Jamaican food, but it's excellent for the price, and that might hit the spot one of the days you're there.

As for beaches/clubs/bars? Start at the beach, you and your friends chat up some people and ask around. You will inevitably find yourself at one bar or club or another, and then you'll talk to someone else, and you'll end up at another bar or club, and on and on. Particularly if you say you're from out of town. There's no shortage of booze and dancing sweaty grinding to be had. You'll be fine.

Isn't EA / Tiburon in Orlando? They need help bro. Have you seen the latest Madden.....

Yup. UCF FIEA downtown has a pretty good grad school for game designing from what I've heard. Basically a direct pipeline to EA and other companies in general. I'm sure it's really competitive, though. I think now they finally a pretty competent undergrad track within the Digital Media department too.

RobotHaus

Unconfirmed Member
Orlando has nSpace, they are spitting distance from Sea World. Though they aren't much for conversing, so even attempting to apply there is quite the hassle.

kehs

Banned
Miami here, all I ever do is play pool and get shitfaced so if anyone wants some easy money let me know. Usually play up in Miami gardens billiard club.

matt360

Heh, i lived in Florida for 17 years and just left this past December. couldn't be happier.
i was in the Daytona area.

I'm from the Daytona area as well. Port Orange to be precise. Born in West Palm and moved to Port Orange when I was 2 and lived there until I moved to Tallahassee for college. Now I live in Hiroshima and miss Florida like crazy all the time.

When and if I ever finish up here in Japan I'd love to move to Orlando.

Necrovex

And be promptly arrested for indecent exposure.

That's the risk I am willing to take so I may drink around the world at Epcot!

Yup. UCF FIEA downtown has a pretty good grad school for game designing from what I've heard. Basically a direct pipeline to EA and other companies in general. I'm sure it's really competitive, though. I think now they finally a pretty competent undergrad track within the Digital Media department too.

How's Full Sail with its game development program? Heard a little about that place, but I have no idea if it is actually good or not.

Edit: The Full Sail question was simply asked out of curiosity sake. I have no intention to enter school for game development!

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
How's Full Sail with its game development program? Heard a little about that place, but I have no idea if it is actually good or not.

Full Sail isn't really regarded well as a "game dev college" in the industry, last I checked.

Top Bottom