• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neogaf Rock/Indie/Alt Music Thread (RockGAF?)

faridmon

I've listened to the Horrors a couple of times, most of its pretty forgettable but I feel it has a couple of their best tracks on it, particularly Machine and the closing track

The new Horrors lp is alright I think. Gotta give it some more time.

At least its miles better than Luminous. It actually remind me of Skying. Very varied with great pace while being long and shogaze-y. Its obviously not pleasure house in terms of creativity but yeah the singles have been the best so far. I am also liking World Below

New Cut Copy is growing on me. The others were a little more immediate for me but I'm starting to dig this one.

Yeah I can see that. I am just happy its not as busy and hyperactive as Free Your Mind.

cabot

man that's a major bummer.

Least I saw them twice in the last year.

Boy King as their final album is a little disappointing, considering it's fairly patchy.

sasliquid

man that's a major bummer.

Least I saw them twice in the last year.

Boy King as their final album is a little disappointing, considering it's fairly patchy.

I've seen them five times and they only got better. Boy King may have been their weakest effort since their first (which was more unique) but I thought they were enjoying themselves.

Two Dancers, Smother and Present Tense are all AOTY material tho.

Davey Cakes

Anybody like David Sylvian? He dropped two tracks on Soundcloud a few days ago.

https://soundcloud.com/user-516495290

Modern Interior is more in vein of his Blemish/Manafon material, while Beautiful Country is a return towards more conventional songwriting. Brilliant stuff.
Oh yeah, I'm a huge fan of Sylvian. Such a unique voice. I quite enjoy his jazzier tracks as well as his more ambient ones. Appreciated his work with Japan and Nine Horses as well.

I'll check these songs out on my drive home from work today. Thanks!

cabot

I've seen them five times and they only got better. Boy King may have been their weakest effort since their first (which was more unique) but I thought they were enjoying themselves.

Two Dancers, Smother and Present Tense are all AOTY material tho.

I mean there's still greatness in BK, the one-two punch of Celestial Creatures and 2BU for instance. God, so good.

Man, I'll miss them.

Thought this was pretty decent when I heard it the other day. I just struggle with morrissey what with how 'extreme' his views have become.

I couldn't even finish it. The lyrics are so puerile; I feel like he's really fallen off lyrically in the last few years. You Are The Quarry was his last really solid album IMO.

Dead

well not really...yet
I’m in love with the new Horrors album. Easily their best since Primary Colors, I cant stop listening to it.

Wow, sad to hear that Wild Beasts broke up. I only found out about them last year but their entire discography was on rotation non-stop for a couple of weeks during then. The music they made could be its own genre and although they mellowed out in their later albums, it was all still very solid and distinctly Wild Beasts.

In non-sad news, Shopping released a new song. I remember faridmon mentioned they'd have an album out in the fall so this must be the start of it.

Dead

well not really...yet
Wow apparently Friendly Fires are still alive? Announced a show and teased new music. Pala was fucking amazing and I’ve been dying for a new album from them since...

faridmon

I'm in love with the new Horrors album. Easily their best since Primary Colors, I cant stop listening to it.

Yeah, having listened to it a lot more now, I really really like. I wouldn't say its better than Skying for me personally, but its close.

Really good.

Wow apparently Friendly Fires are still alive? Announced a show and teased new music. Pala was fucking amazing and I've been dying for a new album from them since...

Wow, thats a blast from the past.

Remember seeing them live 7 years ago supporting O'Children (Remember them?) and they were fantastic. Hope this means new material.

In non-sad news, Shopping released a new song. I remember faridmon mentioned they'd have an album out in the fall so this must be the start of it.

Its really fin track too. Can't wait for their album, I think Rachel herself told me it was on November

sasliquid

Having listened to the new horrors a few times I think it starts and ends strong but the middle is to reliant on slower songs and slogs because of it.

If it's middle was stronger like Skying it may have been there best yet, for now it will just have to be their best since Skying

Linius

Waking up slowly with some jazzy grooves from the new Kamasi Washington EP. Preparing myself to play the new Protomartyr for the first time.

Mau ®;250511801 said:
Whats the consensus on this one?

"Don't Delete The Kisses" is probably my favorite 2017 track.

Definitely on my albums of the year list. Planet Hunters and Space & Time are standout tracks. Hopefully my signed vinyl will arrive tomorrow or Tuesday

Mau ®;250511801 said:
Whats the consensus on this one?

"Don't Delete The Kisses" is probably my favorite 2017 track.

I've never listened to Wolf Alice before but I really like this album. It tackles a ton of different styles but the singer has a good range that suits each one. My favorite tracks from it are Planet Hunter and Formidable Cool. After listening to both of their albums, I think I like their latest better.

YaBish

Didn't really vibe with the new Wolf Alice at first, but after a few spins it clicked. And now I can't stop listening to it.

Found out one of the main producers on the album is Justin Meldal-Johnsen. He worked on Paramore's After Laughter. Dude has a knack for earworms.

Dead

well not really...yet
Love the new Wolf Alice. Some really stellar songs in it like Sky Musings.

Tangentially related, seeing Chelsea Wolfe Saturday 😊

Just came out today and listened to it all the way through once, so I'll probably need a few more listens to have fully complete thoughts about the album, but I really love Citizen's new album.

Been anticipating it for a while from the singles and released songs, but it's so good! Love it and it's one of my favorite albums of the year.

faridmon

so many good releases yesterday. Alex Lahey, Blue Hawaii, Ducktails, Kiasmos, Wolf Alice, Chiyoda Ku, Frida Sunedmo, Wild Ones, Catholic Action, Yumi Zouma,

and I have yet to listen to any of them. Don't know where to start to be honest.

I'll probably get Alex Lahey, Chiyoda Ku, Blue Hawaii and Catholic Action. Maybe Kiasmos too since its just an EP.

Dead

well not really...yet
Analog remasters of Loveless and Isn't Anything on Vinyl are finally up for preorder. Coming out January!!

KMMU3kv.png

Probably reading too much into it, but 1 shirt per record and then this
VMi25AQ.jpg

Primary Colors is still my absolute favorite, but I thought Skying was beautiful too.

Never heard The Horrors before, but just listened to Primary Colours and it's pretty solid.

I listened to the new Wolf Alice right before that and what a difference. Wolf Alice sounded very sterile by comparison, and aside from a couple tracks just sort of uninteresting.

Probably reading too much into it, but 1 shirt per record and then this

What are you reading into it? New tour? MBV releasing their own fuzz pedal?
Am I the only one who wonders why another remaster of Loveless is necessary? I thought the 2009 remaster already sounded pretty great.

Top Bottom