• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neogaf Rock/Indie/Alt Music Thread (RockGAF?)

A bit obscure.

Ceramic Dog - Your Turn (my favorite jazz/punk/experimental rock album of the year)
Listen
5505c11eada38725772ddc22a25e3135.jpg

Dutch Uncles - Out of Touch in the Wild (art-pop but I hope it counts)
Listen
2013DutchUnclesOutOfTouchInTheWild600G070113.jpg

Savages - Silence Yourself (that's some hard post-punk)
Listen
savages-silence-yourself-album-cover-press-300.jpg

chris121580

Few years later, and LCD Soundsystem remains one of the best bands in the last few years. Can't stop listening to them to this day.

Controversial opinion:

This is Happening > LCS Soundsystem > Sound of Silver
All My Friends is one of the best songs of all time

Current favorite bands are Wavves, Grimes and Surfer Blood. I saw Surfer Blood live a few weeks and took some pics. I posted a pic of the guitarist on Instagram and he used it as his instagram profile pic. Pretty cool :p

faridmon

I honestly don't get the love for All of My friends. Those piano plays really irritates, and I do think its one of the weakest songs in that album.

I must be the wired one.

Davey Cakes

I honestly don't get the love for All of My friends. Those piano plays really irritates, and I do think its one of the weakest songs in that album.

I must be the wired one.
I think the message in that song is what sells it, rather than the music itself.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
I think the message in that song is what sells it, rather than the music itself.

I like the 'trippy' piano, quite a lot like Steve Reich's phasing stuff. When I worked in HMV, All of my Friends was released as a single. The amount of people that thought the CD was skipping was quite humourous.

Mikeside

I must be the wired one.

Wow, I really love the piano in that track. It's fast, playful & fun, then works itself into the really atmospheric track perfectly.
I also agree with the above, the message is great.

I don't know many tracks like it to be honest.

Still not as good as Someone Great

faridmon

Wow, I really love the piano in that track. It's fast, playful & fun, then works itself into the really atmospheric track perfectly.
I also agree with the above, the message is great.

I don't know many tracks like it to be honest.

Still not as good as Someone Great[/QUOTE]

My favourite track on the album.

I agree with the lyrics of All of My Friends is what sells it, but I do find those Piano pays very skippy which is an annoyance.

Steamlord

I know it's sort of a vague umbrella term, but I'm using it any way. Does any body here know of any good Post-Rock albums? Godspeed, Sigur Ros, Explosions in the Sky, etc.

Some of my favorites, with samples:

Tortoise - Millions Now Living Will Never Die
Stereolab - Transient Random-Noise Bursts With Announcements
Pram - The Stars Are So Big, The Earth Is So Small...Stay As You Are
Slint - Spiderland
Talk Talk - Laughing Stock
Bark Psychosis - Hex
Disco Inferno - D.I. Go Pop

I'm not sure if these are quite what you're looking for since, as you said, post-rock is a really vague term.

mltplkxr

Few years later, and LCD Soundsystem remains one of the best bands in the last few years. Can't stop listening to them to this day.

Controversial opinion:

This is Happening > LCS Soundsystem > Sound of Silver

Home is one hell of a closer for an album, even more so for a career.

I didn't like them when they came out. Then one day, years later, I stumbled on Get Innocuous and it just clicked. I listened to that song for hours then went on to another, then went back to the first album and finally bought all their stuff.

It's definitely one of my favorite bands of all time.

What I enjoyed most about LCD Soundsystem was listening and reading interviews with Murphy. One of the only lead / writer that I can identify with.

daripad

I love this thread, this is the kind of music I enjoy and I never had someone who thought the same (everyone here listens to weird stuff)

Is anyone here listening to the new Speedy Ortiz?
Picked up the CD because of] Pitchfork's review and enjoyed it on the first two listens, though they do sound a fair be like Wolf's Law by The Joy Formidable (which is also awesome).

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Less plinky plonky "let me get what I want" la-di-dah longing for forbidden neckbeard love, more being fisted with broken shot glasses filled with jagermeister 'n' alien blood whilst spitting vinegar covered wasps directly into your mouth:

Todd - Track Side Fire

Lightning Bolt - Dracula Mountain

Oxes - Panda Strong

Lake of Dracula - Biographers of The Flaming Druglords

Part Chimp - Fasto

Anyone know of anything similar that's come out recently? I miss BALLS in rock music (without going metal).

Back in the day, it certainly used to be, it could be applied (unbelieveably) to bands as diverse as Tortoise, Add N to X (honest!) and Mogwai. Nowadays it's pretty much synonymous with "Instrumental Rock built around a Crescendo". Love your selections, by the way :)

dejay

Banned
Subbed. Listening to Talking Heads - Stop Making Sense right now. Life During Wartime is still amazing.

I want to expand my music and this thread seems like a good place to start.

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
Is anyone here listening to the new Speedy Ortiz?

Picked up the CD because of] Pitchfork's review and enjoyed it on the first two listens, though they do sound a fair be like Wolf's Law by The Joy Formidable (which is also awesome).

I've heard a bit of their stuff and thought it was pretty good. They remind me of Pavement a bit.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Less plinky plonky "let me get what I want" la-di-dah longing for forbidden neckbeard love, more being fisted with broken shot glasses filled with jagermeister 'n' alien blood whilst spitting vinegar covered wasps directly into your mouth:

Todd - Track Side Fire

Oxes - Panda Strong

Part Chimp - Fasto

Anyone know of anything similar that's come out recently? I miss BALLS in rock music (without going metal).

Can't click your links cuz work, but maybe METZ is something for you? These guys are pretty good live. Half hour set, no nonsene, just kicking ass.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Can't click your links cuz work, but maybe METZ is something for you? These guys are pretty good live. Half hour set, no nonsene, just kicking ass.

Just listened to Headache and Wet Blanket. Good shit. They're a teeny tiny fraction of a pico-bit clean around the edges for my tastes (in the studio), but still a damn fine listen! Thank you, sir and keep 'em coming!

Also? You'll like that Part Chimp track if METZ are anything to go by.

So since the punk thread is pretty much dead and punk seems to be fair game here, I'm gonna post this here:

New Calvinball album. They're one of the best UK punk bands, easily. And unfortunately they're breaking up 'cause their guitarist is going to Australia :C

You can hear everything else they've done
except for an EP they disowned
here

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Home is one hell of a closer for an album, even more so for a career.

I didn't like them when they came out. Then one day, years later, I stumbled on Get Innocuous and it just clicked. I listened to that song for hours then went on to another, then went back to the first album and finally bought all their stuff.

It's definitely one of my favorite bands of all time.

What I enjoyed most about LCD Soundsystem was listening and reading interviews with Murphy. One of the only lead / writer that I can identify with.

Yeah agreed. This is Happening is my Least favourite record, but home is my favourite LCD song, easily. Dat vibe, man.

Can't wait for payday, gonna go on a spree thanks to this thread.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned

Todd - Track Side Fire

Oxes - Panda Strong

Part Chimp - Fasto

Back in the day, it certainly used to be, it could be applied (unbelieveably) to bands as diverse as Tortoise, Add N to X (honest!) and Mogwai. Nowadays it's pretty much synonymous with "Instrumental Rock built around a Crescendo". Love your selections, by the way :)

YES! BRO YES! I've been trying to articulate it to little success, but indie music atm is all about crazy atmospherics and delays and whispered vocals, and is SO FUCKIN BORING. I like a bit of subtlety and softness in my music, don't get me wrong, but the overwhelming amount of mainstream indie right now has no body at all. Gimme balls all over my face, man.

Do you like Future of the Left? Probably my favourite balls-out screamy fun rock band - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcD2cqNT1bQ

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
YES! BRO YES! I've been trying to articulate it to little success, but indie music atm is all about crazy atmospherics and delays and whispered vocals, and is SO FUCKIN BORING. I like a bit of subtlety and softness in my music, don't get me wrong, but the overwhelming amount of mainstream indie right now has no body at all. Gimme balls all over my face, man.

Do you like Future of the Left? Probably my favourite balls-out screamy fun rock band - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcD2cqNT1bQ

Yes. YEEEEES. I like subtle stuff as much as the next man (La Bradford or Low, anyone?), but it is balls out rock and roll that is missing at the moment. Where is the next Nirvana, eh? I need something big, mean and dirty to blow all those introverted, balless, twee little indie bands out of the water for a couple years. Shake things up a little.

Do I like Future of the Left? I certainly do. Sorry to pimp out past glories BUT I uh... *ahem* may have played a gig with them once.

Yes. YEEEEES. I like subtle stuff as much as the next man (La Bradford or Low, anyone?), but it is balls out rock and roll that is missing at the moment. Where is the next Nirvana, eh? I need something big, mean and dirty to blow all those introverted, balless, twee little indie bands out of the water for a couple years. Shake things up a little.

Do I like Future of the Left? I certainly do. Sorry to pimp out past glories BUT I uh... *ahem* may have played a gig with them once.

Oh hey Xtra Mile popping up again.

Also I totally agree. Neither of you happen to live near enough to Brighton to try and fix this problem with me do you? >_>

Jedeye Sniv

Banned

Super jealous. I actuallty went to see them in London a couple fo years back and they were supported by Hold Your Horse Is who are a decent fast rock band from my area, and that was the first time I saw them, didn't even realise they were local.

I need to play with them!

Also I totally agree. Neither of you happen to live near enough to Brighton to try and fix this problem with me do you? >_>

I live in Aldershot and my band are thinking Brighton will be a good next place to play. If you know any good venues hit me up :)

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Super jealous. I actuallty went to see them in London a couple fo years back and they were supported by Hold Your Horse Is who are a decent fast rock band from my area, and that was the first time I saw them, didn't even realise they were local.

They dwarfed us in absolutely every respect. Damn, damn fine band who deserve more recognition.

You might like Concentration Champ. No longer active, but bloody awesome in their carefree playfulness.

I'm in North Kent, sadly. Working on doing the very same thing but not quite there. Brighton is an absolute hot bed of musicians at the moment. You aren't looking hard enough! :)

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Any love for Tall Ships? This is my band of the year so far, even though their record came out last year. Going to see them at the end of sept, very exciting. Big chunky riffs, good vocals, a playful attitude.

Tall Ships - T=0

I live in Aldershot and my band are thinking Brighton will be a good next place to play. If you know any good venues hit me up :)
What's your band? Prince Albert, Green Door Store and Sticky Mike's Frog Bar all seem decent, though I have no idea about how they are to deal with.

Also Hold Your Horse Is are gud.

I'm in North Kent, sadly. Working on doing the very same thing but not quite there. Brighton is an absolute hot bed of musicians at the moment. You aren't looking hard enough! :)

It's probably more that I have no idea what I'm doing and none of my immediate friends really like the same music so I can't just use them >_>

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
What's your band? Prince Albert, Green Door Store and Sticky Mike's Frog Bar all seem decent, though I have no idea about how they are to deal with.

Also Hold Your Horse Is are gud.

It's probably more that I have no idea what I'm doing and none of my immediate friends really like the same music so I can't just use them >_>

Thought I'd pimped us appropriately but perhaps not! Parachute For Gordo, hope you enjoy :)

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Aaah yeah, I remember now, I saw you mention it in the BritGaf thread a while ago I think. Try talking to [https://www.facebook.com/thisonesforthecrew]Jay/TOFtC[/url], he puts on quite a lot of gigs and you could probably jump on one of them at some point.

Also that EP's pretty great. I will buy that when I have moneys!

Thanks buddy :) I will hit this dude up, we wanna play Brighton so bad.

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat
I like a bit of subtlety and softness in my music, don't get me wrong, but the overwhelming amount of mainstream indie right now has no body at all.

Dynamics! That's what was so great about Pixies, and Nirvana, and Sunny Day Real Estate. You get moments of relaxation, and you get punched in the face with music. Too many bands, twee and heavy, are just playing flat walls of the same sound all song. It's boring.

Manus

Been listening to a lot of Two Door Cinema Club and The National lately. The National is just so dark and moody, love it.

I've heard a bit of their stuff and thought it was pretty good. They remind me of Pavement a bit.

Also true.

On the sounding like Pavement note, has anybody here listened to The Orwells?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kuZJICOd2ag
Can't stand em, they sound like a bunch of overpraised kids taking way too many cues from Pavement and The Replacements.

Been listening to a lot of Two Door Cinema Club and The National lately. The National is just so dark and moody, love it.
Which National's have you heard and if the answer is not Alligator or Boxer then fix that asap.

Personally:

Boxer > Alligator > TWFM > High Violet >>>>>> SSFDL > S/T

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Recently I've been getting into a lot of synth pop/indietronica/whateveryouwannacallit. Bands like:

The Naked and Famous
Passion Pit
Capital Cities
Bastille
Parade of Lights
Smallpools

You want the new Delorean album immediately, trust me. Also: Postiljonen, Korallreven, the Tough Alliance, and Air France -- RIP these last two bands :(

I'd just like to say how much I wish Franz Ferdinand had continued down this path rather than the boring ass route we actually got with Tonight (Bite Hard was the best song on that album, and it wasn't even that great) and how Right Thoughts, Right Words, Right Action seems

Top Bottom