• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Criterion Collection in 2017: All Fancy Movie GAF Releases Welcome!

omgkitty

About Criterion

Since 1984, the Criterion Collection, a continuing series of important classic and contemporary films, has been dedicated to gathering the greatest films from around the world and publishing them in editions that offer the highest technical quality and award-winning, original supplements. Over the years, as we moved from laserdisc to DVD, Blu-ray disc, and online streaming, we’ve seen a lot of things change, but one thing has remained constant: our commitment to publishing the defining moments of cinema for a wider and wider audience. The foundation of the collection is the work of such masters of cinema as Renoir, Godard, Kurosawa, Cocteau, Fellini, Bergman, Tarkovsky, Hitchcock, Fuller, Lean, Kubrick, Lang, Sturges, Dreyer, Eisenstein, Ozu, Sirk, Buñuel, Powell and Pressburger. Each film is presented uncut, in its original aspect ratio, as its maker intended it to be seen. Every time we start work on a film, we track down the best available film elements in the world, use state-of-the-art telecine equipment and a select few colorists capable of meeting our rigorous standards, then take time during the film-to-video digital transfer to create the most pristine possible image and sound. Whenever possible, we work with directors and cinematographers to ensure that the look of our releases does justice to their intentions. Our supplements enable viewers to appreciate Criterion films in context, through audio commentaries by filmmakers and scholars, restored director’s cuts, deleted scenes, documentaries, shooting scripts, early shorts, and storyboards. To date, more than 150 filmmakers have made our library of Director Approved DVDs, Blu-ray discs, and laserdiscs the most significant archive of contemporary filmmaking available to the home viewer.

tumblr_m9fjywKcvK1qjonawo1_400.gif

Releases for 2014 - New releases are announced on the 15th of every month.

January

February

March

April

May

June

July

tumblr_lxyqmxafil1qar83lo1_250.jpg

Eclipse
Eclipse is a selection of lost, forgotten, or overshadowed classics in simple, affordable editions. Each series is a brief cinematheque retrospective for the adventurous home viewer.

January 2014
Eclipse Series 40: Late Ray
HomeAndWorld_box_w100.jpg
EnemyOfPeople_box_w100.jpg
Stranger_box_w100.jpg

My Criterion (If you wan't to be added, just ask)
My Criterion allows you to share information about yourself on the site, including which titles you want and which ones you own, as well as to write notes about the films on your lists.

AlternativeUlster
Alucrid
Az987
BenjaminBirdie
Borgnine
codhand
Dragoon En Regalia
Eric WK
FnordChan
Help Me!
improvise5
Kellen
NekoFever
ngower
ohhthegore
omgkitty
Ridley327
sefskillz
Spocker
suffah
swoon

Dig deeper into the Criterion Collection
Criterion's YouTube Page - Criterion posts tons of great videos, including their 3 Reasons for most of their titles.
Criterion Collection Facebook Page
Criterion Collection Twitter

CriterionCast - Possibly the best Criterion podcast on the internet.
Criterion Corner - David Ehrlich writes for Movies.com about Criterion films several times a month.
CriterionForum - The best Criterion-focused forum.
The Criterion Forums - A new alternative Criterion forum.
DVDBeaver - Blu-ray reviews, including comparison screenshots with older releases.
Criterion Collection on Hulu - Criterion signed an exclusive streaming deal with Hulu, with Hulu carrying most of their films for Hulu Plus users.
The Criterion Contraption - This man is on a mission to watch every single film Criterion has released.

2012/13 Thread

2010/2011 Thread
2009 Thread
2007/2008 Thread

BearChair

I'm so happy to see that this thread is up now. I discovered last year's thread around April, and it quickly became one of the reasons I frequently check Neogaf.

How many people here subscribe to Hulu Plus specifically for Criterion?

I've had by subscription for about two years, and I still love it. My only problem is that I wish that it added more movies. It did that wonderful 100 days of Criterion promotion over the summer where it added a new movie every day, and that was a boon. But since then, I think Criterion has added all of three or four movies to Hulu Plus.

I understand that a lot of the English language stuff can't be added, but I'm still hoping for more foreign releases on Hulu in the future.

omgkitty

I'm so happy to see that this thread is up now. I discovered last year's thread around April, and it quickly became one of the reasons I frequently check Neogaf.

I've had by subscription for about two years, and I still love it. My only problem is that I wish that it added more movies. It did that wonderful 100 days of Criterion promotion over the summer where it added a new movie every day, and that was a boon. But since then, I think Criterion has added all of three or four movies to Hulu Plus.

I understand that a lot of the English language stuff can't be added, but I'm still hoping for more foreign releases on Hulu in the future.

I had a Hulu Plus subscription for over a year before I realized I only ended up watching about 5 movies from it, and cancelled my subscription. My interest in movies comes in waves, so having an ongoing subscription doesn't really pay dividends for me.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Me. I took a look at the non-Criterion stuff the other day and was kind of a wasteland. But it's worth it for Criterion alone.

I was wondering what the X in the side of the cliff in Criterion's recent release-hint blow-out could stand for. Someone figured it out: Cure prominently features a black X related to the central antagonist. I really love this movie, so it better get the release it deserves (Kalat did a book on J-horror, so maybe they can get him to commentate).

I Married a Witch was a real joy to watch. Great chemistry between the two lead, humor that feels surprisingly modern at times(the opening seemed like something out of a Python sketch), and charming use of effects. Veronica Lake is an incredible charmer as well, was really a shame to read the included booklet and discover how her life turned out.

BearChair

I want to Hiroshima mon amour on Bluray....

Does anyone have Hulu Plus just for Criterion? Worth it or no?

See above for a miniature version of the Hulu Plus conversation.

If you've never used it before, it's probably worth it for $8 a month it's a huge amount of content. Plus, movies on Hulu Plus do not have ads, only TV shows.

http://www.hulu.com/grid?name=popular-criterion-movies&from=/movies/criterion

Also, there is a good selection of TV shows, especially if you are into British stuff and anime.

The one problem is that Criterion tends to add stuff slowly, so while the selection is huge, when you run out of movies you're interested in, then there is a lot of waiting for new stuff.

In my opinion, it is worth it for at least a few months. I've been a subscriber for nearly two years and my wife and I prefer it over Netflix. But she prefers TV over movies, and I watch enough criterion and anime to make it matter.

See above for a miniature version of the Hulu Plus conversation.

If you've never used it before, it's probably worth it for $8 a month it's a huge amount of content. Plus, movies on Hulu Plus do not have ads, only TV shows.

http://www.hulu.com/grid?name=popular-criterion-movies&from=/movies/criterion

Also, there is a good selection of TV shows, especially if you are into British stuff and anime.

The one problem is that Criterion tends to add stuff slowly, so while the selection is huge, when you run out of movies you're interested in, then there is a lot of waiting for new stuff.

In my opinion, it is worth it for at least a few months. I've been a subscriber for nearly two years and my wife and I prefer it over Netflix. But she prefers TV over movies, and I watch enough criterion and anime to make it matter.

Wait...there are still ads for TV shows? Da fuq?

That's Hulu for you. Movies are probably going to get added every summer from now on, I hope, and there's usually a good selection of them. If they all happen to be Japanese, though, then that would be annoying.

EDIT: Beaten like a dead horse who didn't double-post.

Strange month for artwork: Breaking the Waves needs to lose its typeface and vignetting, everything else fits; Master of the House reminds me of their cover for Monsieur Verdoux, but better; Il Sorpasso and Riot in Cell Block 11 are about as good as they can get. And supplements look skimpy on Master of the House, but I hope heavens to Betsy that they can restore the film to a much cleaner state. So far, it looks like Il Sorpasso's gonna be their big Risi release with how stacked it is!

Master of the House pretty good, but I don't think it has anything on Dreyer's later classics. Hopefully they'll be upgrading those soon too.

HoJu

I squealed like a little girl when I saw Breaking the Waves.
I was just about to spend an ungodly amount of money on the DVD a few weeks ago; thank you Criterion.

swoon

Few think that! But Criterion needs to release more silent movies, so here we are.

pretty sure everyone agree that his important work is joan onward.

excited about riot, hopefully they go more in that direction though its weird how big name noirs aren't on blu and olive and criterion are scooping up everything but.

swoon

Poorly worded that: few think Master and his other early silents are that worthwhile. I started on Day of Wrath anyway...

The Siegel's a must-get for me.

gotcha.

riot is good and i'm glad it's coming out, but like this before the big steal (or like out of the past) or even a reissue of the killers twofer? just seems odd and olive is going way way deep with their releases and it's like give me the setup and criss cross already

ngower

Not all that impressed by the April releases. Considering grabbing a Hulu Plus account again to go through some of these newer releases, but I'll be honest: I'm finding it incredibly tough to keep up with Criterion releases lately. Just so many between Hulu and the discs, as well as trying to go through my backlog. I suppose this is an excellent problem to have, but still!

Ridley327

I'm pretty sure Shout Factory is going to be my go-to boutique label for the year. Not only did they pick up Herzog's Nosferatu, Dog Soldiers, Ginger Snaps, Sleepaway Camp, and MOTHERFUCKING PHANTOM OF THE PARADISE to go along with the previously announced Cabal Cut of Nightbreed for release under their Scream Factory imprint, but they just announced that they are releasing Ravenous on Blu-ray this summer, as well.

ngower

I'm pretty sure Shout Factory is going to be my go-to boutique label for the year. Not only did they pick up Herzog's Nosferatu, Dog Soldiers, Ginger Snaps, Sleepaway Camp, and MOTHERFUCKING PHANTOM OF THE PARADISE to go along with the previously announced Cabal Cut of Nightbreed for release under their Scream Factory imprint, but they just announced that they are releasing Ravenous on Blu-ray this summer, as well.

Ravenous is one of, if not my favorite, horror films. It's not even horror as much as it is just ridiculously suspenseful. I nearly had a heart attack the first time I watched it.

Ravenous on blu should be nice. Such a surprising, tense and delightful movie. I could rewatch
the cave scene
endlessly.

That reminds me that I have to pick up the soundtrack somewhere.

Wings of Desire is on TCM right now and I have a question regarding Criterion's DVD/Blu-Ray copy of the film. I caught a glimpse of a few Peter Falk scenes where he's speaking in English and the subtitles are showing up even when's he speaking. I wanted to know if the same is true in the DVD/Blu-Ray copy

Dude—No ...

Neo Member
I actually listened to the soundtrack before watching Ravenous, and that soundtrack is basically what drew me to watch it. Very nice movie.

It's nice to see that the Shout Factory guys picked-up Sleepaway Camp too.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
There was starting to be pretty steady releases for Woody Allen movies, then MGM kind of stopped. I wonder why someone else is releasing C&M...and I really want to just buy a big box with everything from 74-94.

MoC April thru June

BfTdDLACQAAtoWS.jpg:large

Ace in the Hole DF

BfThKhrCEAEK4Wo.jpg:large

Boomerang DF

BfTjf6pCYAAQ8LS.jpg:large

Harold and Maude Blu

BfTeZOxCYAAzjNP.jpg:large

if... Blu

BfTknSjCMAEjcUY.jpg

Too Late Blues DF

In summary: lotsa Paramount titles, so far with relatively few (if any) supplements (mostly booklets). Most of these are already Blus, but TLB should look better and they're beating Criterion to the punch with Ace (Boomerang's also their first Kazan, for the record). Covers are pretty good too.

swoon

Tn5htj2.jpg
k6J0USM.jpg

new covers for march's twilight pre-orders.

i bet alfredo-garcia will go quick.

also upcoming films for everyone's favorite label :

CRIMES AND MISDEMEANORS (1989) BLU-RAY - Feb 11th
THUNDERBOLT AND LIGHTFOOT (1974) BLU-RAY - Feb 11th
THE BLUE MAX (1966) BLU-RAY - Feb 11th
THE EDDY DUCHIN STORY (1956) BLU-RAY - Feb 11th
THE FRONT (1975) BLU-RAY - Feb 25th
BRING ME THE HEAD OF ALFREDO GARCIA (1974) BLU-RAY - March 11th
EQUUS (1977) BLU-RAY w/In From The Cold: The World of Richard Burton (1988) - March 11th
CONRACK (1974) BLU-RAY - March 11th
ALL THE KING'S MEN (1949) BLU-RAY - March 11th
FEVER PITCH (1997) BLU-RAY - March 11th
BROADWAY DANNY ROSE (1984) BLU-RAY - April 8th
WILD AT HEART (1990) BLU-RAY - April 8th
MR HOBBS TAKES A VACATION (1962) BLU-RAY - April 8th
USED CARS (1980) BLU-RAY - April 8th
RITA, SUE, AND BOB TOO (1986) BLU-RAY - April 8th
THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO (1966) / THUNDERBIRD 6 (1968) BLU-RAY - May 13th
ROLLERBALL (1975) BLU-RAY - May 13th
THE FIRM (2009) BLU-RAY - May 13th
FATE IS THE HUNTER (1964) BLU-RAY w/To Whom it May Concern: Ka Shen's Journey (2010) - May 13th
TWO RODE TOGETHER (1961) BLU-RAY - May 13th
THE MECHANIC (1972) BLU-RAY - June 10th
THE TRAIN (1964) BLU-RAY - June 10th
HEAVEN KNOWS, MR ALLISON (1957) BLU-RAY - June 10th
RESURRECTED (1989) BLU-RAY - June 10th
THE MAN FROM LARAMIE (1955) BLU-RAY - June 10th

swoon

wild at heart! is another big one for me it is easily my favorite lync. one of my fav allen's broadway danny rose as well.

man from laramie is great - hopefully they'll get into mann's noirs.

mattiewheels

Top Bottom