• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Criterion Collection in 2017: All Fancy Movie GAF Releases Welcome!

IronRinn

Guys, let me help you. Just buy this:

41qc7IOCXmL._SY300_.jpg
But the other ones have Black Dragon Press artwork on them.

IronRinn

You understand me.

And thanks for reminding me of who did the design for them, I'm assuming SC hired Johnny Dombrowski again because the Evil under the Sun and Mirror are new, no?
These were done in conjunction with SC so I wonder if they had him do all four right off the bat and only released the first two through BDP? Maybe they'll do the other ones as prints in the future.

omgkitty

You understand me.

And thanks for reminding me of who did the design for them, I'm assuming SC hired Johnny Dombrowski again because the Evil under the Sun and Mirror are new, no?

Evil Under the Sun will be released as a print. Mirror Crack'd will not be.

berzeli

Banned
in lol Suspiria lol news:
CultFilms is honoured to present the 4K restored version of Dario Argento’s horror masterpiece SUSPIRIA!

We will distribute our 4K restoration of SUSPIRIA – made under the watchful eye of Dario Argento - on UHD, Blu-ray, DVD, VOD, and in cinemas…and orchestrate the ‘UK Tour of Suspiria 4K’, which we are coordinating with several venues across the country next month.

Our SUSPIRIA tour is due to conclude with a very special event in London: an evening with Dario Argento, featuring a Q&A with the maestro himself and a presentation of the film.
Now what makes this a terrifically catty moment is that CultFilms is releasing the TLE restoration, a restoration Synapse is claiming that Argento hated.

Evil Under the Sun will be released as a print. Mirror Crack'd will not be.
Oh. Now I just need to convince myself not to buy it, there is nowhere to hang it, it will be so costly, the mailman will probably mess it up (they lost my Arrow sale order, amongst a million other things), yet still I want it.

cj_iwakura

Don't remember. I don't really care about Suspiria other than it having the funniest colour timing arguments at the moment.

Tom Jones? Or is there another one?

Yeah, that one.

Also, the new closet video is eerie, because she has the same first name as my ex, and she's also a redhead.
(I used to show her obscure Criterions, she was about 50/50 in line with my taste. We both hated Picnic at Hanging Rock.)

berzeli

Banned
Since we discussed it a while back here is Cinelicious* Arbelos release of Funeral Parade of Roses which also includes 8 remastered short films by Matsumoto
F0MpfMC.jpg

Now release it here, Eureka pls.

*They are re-launching in 2018 with the new name and a 4K restoration of The Last Movie

Since we discussed it a while back here is Cinelicious* Arbelos release of Funeral Parade of Roses which also includes 8 remastered short films by Matsumoto
F0MpfMC.jpg

Now release it here, Eureka pls.

*They are re-launching in 2018 with the new name and a 4K restoration of The Last Movie

New restoration of Funeral Parade of Roses is showing at the BFI London Film Festival, so perhaps a Blu from Eureka is on the cards in the future?

berzeli

Banned
New restoration of Funeral Parade of Roses is showing at the BFI London Film Festival, so perhaps a Blu from Eureka is on the cards in the future?
It's the Cinelicious restoration, but there is no UK distributor listed. But it is amusing, Arbelos was listed on there before they announced their existence. I was wondering wtf they were.

btw, since I didn't mention it on this board
Scarface, the 1932 one, has gotten a 4K restoration and will probably be released in the near furute
A Matter of Life and Death, has also gotten a 4K restoration and somebody better fucking release it.
The L-Shaped Room, also restored in 4K, Studiocanal is releasing it.

Apple's announcement that they'll be upgrading HD purchases to 4K for free, after initially upgrading SD purchases to HD for free, has me sat here regretting these thousands of obsolete discs.

I ordered an Apple TV 4K this morning.

I might finally be done with physical media.

:'(

Apple's announcement that they'll be upgrading HD purchases to 4K for free, after initially upgrading SD purchases to HD for free, has me sat here regretting these thousands of obsolete discs.

I ordered an Apple TV 4K this morning.

I might finally be done with physical media.

:'(

Especially with FilmStruck now, I’m just buying what I really love and means something to me. I like having a small collection.

berzeli

Banned
After a long and harrowing process I've decided I really fucking hate that Election cover.
Mainly because it doesn't really say anything about the film, I could live with the "90s loud" colours if it did that.
Oh and the font sucks as well.

omgkitty

After a long and harrowing process I've decided I really fucking hate that Election cover.
Mainly because it doesn't really say anything about the film, I could live with the "90s loud" colours if it did that.
Oh and the font sucks as well.

It makes me want a cupcake.

The Election cover is pretty bad, mainly cause the PICK FLICK is so large and close to the films title that to the uninitiated it looks like the film is named ELECTION PICK FLICK

omgkitty

They will unveil the programme for the centenary celebrations.
There will be a new blu-ray of Fanny & Alexander in Sweden.
And there is an ugly as fuck DVD collection coming out in the UK.
Haven't heard anything solid about new criterions though.

We're gonna need you to be our man on the streets in Sweden next year during the celebrations :D

omgkitty

Yeah, so it ended up being just what I said, retroperspectives at a lot of places, theatre productions, exhibitions etc. of note:
3fwFTym.png

6pVDSTx.png

and the only blu-ray news:
ik60Qd3.png

(don't worry kitty I'll pick it up and treasure it)

Psssshhhh we've had a fantastic blu-ray here for years! Really hope Criterion goes all out next year for it, since they've seemingly ignored him for a bit now when there's still a handful of huge titles to put out.

Psssshhhh we've had a fantastic blu-ray here for years! Really hope Criterion goes all out next year for it, since they've seemingly ignored him for a bit now when there's still a handful of huge titles to put out.
What was the last Bergman they released? Summer with Monika?

berzeli

Banned
Arrow december, UK Only:
G5SqkOY.jpg

They will also release the individual House films and the individual American Horror Project Vol. 1 films for both the US and UK.

J2d

Has anyone here seen the digitally restored Mulholland drive that was released this year? I'm curious on the image quality, impressions seems kinda mixed :/

Has anyone here seen the digitally restored Mulholland drive that was released this year? I'm curious on the image quality, impressions seems kinda mixed :/

The Criterion is good. Better detail, more like film. It has some issues with artifacting in shadows, but in motion it's not noticeable.

berzeli

Banned
The Criterion is good. Better detail, more like film. It has some issues with artifacting in shadows, but in motion it's not noticeable.
The new Studiocanal region B release has better compression iirc and is based on the same Criterion restoration. It has the same amount of extras (if not one or two more), but it is region B locked

That's right, if you can play the Studio Canal Mulholland Dr, it's the one to get. But I don't think anyone will be dissatisfied with the Criterion.

omgkitty

Rohmer and The Apartment??? Oh yes! That cover for The Apartment is miles better than the hideous US release, but still not great :\

omgkitty

It's not listed on Amazon, on DVDFr it's says that there aren't any subtitles (but they're not the most reliable).
I still maintain what I said when it was announced; the six discs that are part of the UK set will have English subtitles the others probably won't.

I really hate when they don't update listings. I've got a couple blu-rays preordered from Amazon JP right now that I'll probably have to cancel as I don't know if they'll have subtitles.

It's not listed on Amazon, on DVDFr it's says that there aren't any subtitles (but they're not the most reliable).
I still maintain what I said when it was announced; the six discs that are part of the UK set will have English subtitles the others probably won't.

Yeah, probably. I'll try and see if I can get any more info on the set.

Edit: can't find any reliable source. Will have to wait for the release.

Top Bottom