• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread |OT2| All Riffs, No Gifs

Ravager61

New Triptykon songs:

Breathing

Bolskine House

YOrcqjI.jpg

I came here to post these. So god damn good

Vio-Lence

Banned
BG without the melodies and songwriting. At least there is a dark elf jerking off behind a tree and a nude blonde on horseback.

Watevaman

How come?

I'm legitimately curious BTW. I respect your opinion.

I'm not him but I share the opinion of AJFA>MOP, so I'll explain why to the best of my ability. Puppets to me was a little to much of an escape from what Metallica started out as. It still had thrash elements and the heavy hitting drums, but the tone of the album definitely moved towards a darker element. The whole album feels more like a traditional heavy handed metal album than a band trying to create a distinct tone. I didn't grow up when it first came out, though, so by the time I got around to listening to it (which was around 1999/2000 I'd say), I had already heard a lot of mainstream metal and it just didn't stick out. Justice was more of a return to their RTL/KEA form to me. Nice lighter tones and better (subjective) riffs.

Now, both albums are pretty distinctive "Metallica" albums, but it's just if a song from MOP were to pop up on the radio, I think it'd be more easily confused for just another metal song, whereas something from AJFA would be easier to distinguish.

I'm not him but I share the opinion of AJFA>MOP, so I'll explain why to the best of my ability. Puppets to me was a little to much of an escape from what Metallica started out as. It still had thrash elements and the heavy hitting drums, but the tone of the album definitely moved towards a darker element. The whole album feels more like a traditional heavy handed metal album than a band trying to create a distinct tone. I didn't grow up when it first came out, though, so by the time I got around to listening to it (which was around 1999/2000 I'd say), I had already heard a lot of mainstream metal and it just didn't stick out. Justice was more of a return to their RTL/KEA form to me. Nice lighter tones and better (subjective) riffs.

Now, both albums are pretty distinctive "Metallica" albums, but it's just if a song from MOP were to pop up on the radio, I think it'd be more easily confused for just another metal song, whereas something from AJFA would be easier to distinguish.

I don't know, I've always liked MOP, but I just feel Justice is more strong myself, even though that's not saying that much because I've always loved MOP. Justice to me just...means something to me, although Ride will always be my favorite.

I think Fade To Black will always be amongst the best Metal songs ever made. I mean seriously, that song saved the lives of many people back then. That's...remarkable.

Vio-Lence

Banned
Bad ass riff but dat drumming tho

brother gr1m, the riff or theme is reused on each subsequent BT album, and the production improves as you move chronologically. the production on world eater is rough compared to the other songs. bolt thrower doesn't really hit their trademark sound until WarMaster. you could fast forward to cenotaph or embers.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
brother gr1m, the riff or theme is reused on each subsequent BT album, and the production improves as you move chronologically. the production on world eater is rough compared to the other songs. bolt thrower doesn't really hit their trademark sound until WarMaster. you could fast forward to cenotaph or embers.

No i mean the drumming is bad ass. All the songs are pretty good but yea the last couple feel a bit tighter.

friday

There are a lot of great tours coming up, anyone have something they are especially excited about?

I am going to see godflesh pretty soon, and then the very next night gorguts and carcass are playing. I already have tickets to both. I think the weekend after that behemoth is coming to town and gojira is gonna be in NYC in May. They are on tour with mastodon. I am probably gonna go see gojira, not sure about behemoth, their new album rules though.

FYC

Banned
I have to drive 6 hours to the city if I want to see a concert, very rarely do we get any shows where I live.

That said, I would fucking love to see Destruction/Krisiun/Exmortus next month if I could.

fallout

Winnipeg's not getting much in the next little while. I'll definitely go check out Behemoth, although I'll mostly be going for the other bands.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-25zzUGKDT8

this is an expert lesson in maximizing a good riff.

Haha, I played World Eater/Cenotaph/Embers all in a row on my radio show a while back and got complaints that the song was "too long" and skipped over the station ID.

Finally got a Heavy Metal HM-2 pedal. Here's a test:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2Jiuh2TjGY

Which version did you get? I've always wanted to get one, but that would require me to buy a Gibson Flying V to keep it true.

Bad ass riff but dat drumming tho

Andy Whale's drumming style is so fucking badass. Love the simplicity and drum beats he uses. Never gets old.

I have to drive 6 hours to the city if I want to see a concert, very rarely do we get any shows where I live.

That said, I would fucking love to see Destruction/Krisiun/Exmortus next month if I could.

Saw Krisiun in January when they played on tour with Kataklysm. Highly recommend them. I don't enjoy sitting down to listen to bands like that and seeing them live made me realise that even more. Really energetic.

I was also able to get a similar Stockholm/Sunlight Studios sound when I mixed a DOD Grunge and a Thrash Master pedal together. Now that the HM2's are a little easier to get nowadays, I've been considering picking it up and a new guitar.
do it brah
this pedal is awesome
shame that I know of tabs only for Entombed and Bloodbath

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
Yup, this is my favourite Melvins song.
I love me some Melvins, but if I had to choose one song it would be Revolve, yeah. That riff is some kind of once in a lifetime black magic voodoo genius shit.

Which I'm guessing makes the notes deeper?

Thanks.

Yeah. They'll be lower at any given amount of tension than a thinner string. You can get deeper tones on normal-thickness guitar and bass strings by loosening them, but after a certain point, they become too loose to actually make sounds. They just flop about instead of ringing. So, if you want notes below a certain point you must get thicker strings.

Top Bottom