• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Asian-GAF: We're all the same, like Stormtroopers |OT| |AT|

Wish we had decent night market events around here. Last one was a disaster.
If it's any consolation, the first 626 Night Market was a huge clusterfuck. I had to park several blocks away, and it was so crowded that it took an hour just to walk through it, without even buying anything. The next year, they fixed it up, and it was amazing—but I think they spent too much money, and the next ones following that were lame again. Now they're consistently pretty good, but they also now charge admission.

clav

Eh, not the biggest night market fan (in Asia) as those places tend to be more unsanitary than a small food shop.

No water (to wash hands).

Everything is dark, so you can barely see what you're buying.

Moonkid

Good points in that article, but another piece linked up on that website about Blade Runner 2049 not being the film Villeneuve wanted to make is trash. Solid observations ruined by a nonsensical thesis.

piggychan

I put Kewpie mayo on my pizza when I make pizza. I suspect I'm about to be lampooned. >_>

Full disclosure: I also enjoy pineapple on pizza.

if I have it I put it on my home made Tako/Ebi yaki's

rUT35us.jpg

Timbuktu

Saw someone try to argue that there weren't Asians because it was set in LA.

No Asians

In LA

The original did have some a memorable Asian side character and Asians do appear in the background. 2049 is worst in this regard, I don't really recall any PoC at all. And taken out of the context of the original film, the Japanese, Chinese and random Korean characters feel more like mere decorations.

Moonkid

The original did have some a memorable Asian side character and Asians do appear in the background. 2049 is worst in this regard, I don't really recall any PoC at all. And taken out of the context of the original film, the Japanese, Chinese and random Korean characters feel more like mere decorations.
Eh? I get that the PoC characters may not be particularly memorable, especially because they only appear in their respective scenes, but straight up not remembering them is bizarre.
There's the orphanage scene, the scene where they get the wooden unicorn examined, and the scene where they examine the bones with a black police officer giving exposition.

BlueSteel

Welp, it seems like a lot of terrible shit popping up... but if this goes down in flames, let me just say that the only thing I wish I did more on GAF was participate in this thread.

(And shout out to Usobuko and Vern for helping me travel to Asia for the first time in forever. I'm going to Indonesia (partially for work, I knew this would happen...) and Taiwan (to see my family for the first time in years, which means a lot to me so I thanks again.)

Moonkid

So, uh, y'all got any backup plans?
I'll probably just finally try discord and end up using it more often, sorry ynnny! <3, though I doubt the site's going to just vanish or anything. Not that I keep close connections but I'd like to be able to keep in touch.

Justinh

I had no idea AsianGAF was a thing as I don't venture out of gaming often.

American citizen born in South Korea (I honestly couldn't tell you the city's name correctly half the time).

This sounds/smells/looks/tastes like a GAF Korean barbecue meetup.

If this were to happen and there's mandu, then everyone should be paying attention.

If there's no yakimandu, then I would be forced to bring some (if this make believe BBQ were to happen near me).

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
This image brings the feels.

Yeah it does. Probably my favorite sitcom growing up.

I'll try not to get banned here; I'd like this thread to at least be a place where folks can go to if they need to.

Not sure what the plan is about where else we are going - I know there is a discord, but I'm not particularly in charge of that whole thing. Other more organized folks are doing that. :)

hirokazu

Chat isn't really my thing, so I'll be sticking around for the most part.
Sticking around GAF? What if there's nobody at AsianGAF left? I think discord will tide us over till AsianERA if that's how things will go.

EDIT: Waaah, there's already an AsianERA but I don't have an account yet.

keuja

Can I get an discord invite too? Man I want to join the REA forum and leave GAF behind but they closed the registrations for now. Lurker life for now...

KonradLaw

The entire world fetishizes american culture, while very few places have americans living there.
Blade Runner is an artifact of 80s, where everybody was terryfied Japan would dominate america. But it was always about cultural, economical and technological dominance. Nobody actually expected japanese people to move en masse to USA. What was shown in Blade Runner made the future even bleaker this way. Because it's natural for local culture to change based on migrants's influence, but in BR world americans let their culture be colonized without japanese people even moving there, which is complete and utter defeat culturally, as opposed to natural process caused by immigration.

ehead

Silent user here but after reading someone post something about actually participating in discussions helping build communities, I decided to be more active. Does anyone have any idea if Pinoy-Gaf will stay?

Zoe

Sticking around GAF? What if there's nobody at AsianGAF left? I think discord will tide us over till AsianERA if that's how things will go.

EDIT: Waaah, there's already an AsianERA but I don't have an account yet.
I'll be wherever there's still discussion, but I'm not a fan of IRC-style chatting.

Llyranor

The Asian thread is fully established on the new forum. Looks like a lot of OT communities have already successfully migrated over.

Top Bottom