• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Photography Thread of 2017

paskowitz

gaemh7c.jpg

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
"That's a really good D800E shot." *Clicks on picture* "Fucking Phase one...sensors dirty."

at this resolution it would be really hard for most people to tell the difference between a d800 and a phase one IQ180. The d800 can absolutely match everything about that photo except for the raw resolution.

That said you never know what i might post, i still have shots from my phase 1 and my fuji 617 that i haven't posted.

at this resolution it would be really hard for most people to tell the difference between a d800 and a phase one IQ180. The d800 can absolutely match everything about that photo except for the raw resolution.

That said you never know what i might post, i still have shots from my phase 1 and my fuji 617 that i haven't posted.
Damn so the D800 series really is a medium format in a dslr body in a way. Really makes me want to get a D810 cause that thing is on my mind now, which is odd cause about 2 months ago I didn't want one...mainly cause of the damn file size.

This white stuff fell from the sky in the afternoon:

It barely snowed but Dallas is so damn unprepared there were multiple wrecks(last I saw it was around 400 all over the DFW metroplex), people flipping their cars, 18-wheelers getting stuck in tall overpasses, traffic basically a huge fncking nightmare... it's fncking insane. A 20 minute drive took me an hour today in those conditions... ugh.

Seriously the snow didn't even accumulate on the roads, only on bridges and overpasses, and that's literally as much snow my front lawn saw today, yet all hell broke loose in this damn metro area.

On the brightside, my Nikon 50mm 1.4 showed up in the mail today but I've been pretty busy so this is all I got for now:

I'll get more shots tomorrow assuming I can actually get out of the house haha.

brerwolfe

I'm in Maui for work this week and decided to go on a whale watching trip yesterday and it was ridiculous. Only cost $35 for a 2-hour tour. Ended up taking over 500 photos. So awesome.

Whale Watching Tour by brerwolfe, on Flickr

This boat started chasing after the two whales in the distance...

...and never saw the one pop up behind them.

Whale Watching Tour - Breach 1b by brerwolfe, on Flickr

brerwolfe

Incredible shots brerwolfe.

What was the name of the tour company? Might go to Maui this year. :p
Thanks! It was the Pacific Whale Foundation. The proceeds go toward research, education and preservation of marine mammals, so it makes it feel like you're doing something good when you buy a ticket.

Make sure you Google the whale season before you make a reservation, though. The whales migrate to Hawaii from Alaska every year to mate and/or birth their calves, and January/February is nearing the peak for whale activity.

Very cool experience. I got to work here for a couple days two years ago and my wife and I took the same whale watching tour. We didn't have any breaches, but we had very close encounters with a couple whales and it was incredible. If I ever get to come back, this will be my tradition. So awesome.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Nice to have this thread up! After years of just screwing around mostly on auto with an entry-level DSLR, I decided I really wanted to learn digital photography at the end of last year and spent a bunch of money on a full frame camera and a couple of nice prime lenses. I've been having lots of fun learning how photography works (the book in the OP was a great resource) and taking photos. Most of them have just been of family and friends at get togethers, but I'm looking forward to getting out and doing some street/outdoors photography soon.

I'll have to start putting stuff up on Flickr so I can share what I take here.

captive

Damn so the D800 series really is a medium format in a dslr body in a way. Really makes me want to get a D810 cause that thing is on my mind now, which is odd cause about 2 months ago I didn't want one...mainly cause of the damn file size.

you think iq180 file size is big, try two shots stitched together.

Ragged Point Sunrise by Billy York, on Flickr

i had this shot stitched by photoshop for a while, but when Lightroom came out with the photomerge i tried to stitch this together because i like how lightroom creates a new file in the library. The files are so big lightroom fails the process. Importing this tiff into lightroom and editing it, lightroom and my poor surface were chugging. I did edit it in Phase Ones Capture one or whatever its called but it just didnt behave the same way lightroom does and i found it easier to edit the files there.
The native print size on it is 24"x72"

you think iq180 file size is big, try two shots stitched together.

Ragged Point Sunrise by Billy York, on Flickr

i had this shot stitched by photoshop for a while, but when Lightroom came out with the photomerge i tried to stitch this together because i like how lightroom creates a new file in the library. The files are so big lightroom fails the process. Importing this tiff into lightroom and editing it, lightroom and my poor surface were chugging. I did edit it in Phase Ones Capture one or whatever its called but it just didnt behave the same way lightroom does and i found it easier to edit the files there.
The native print size on it is 24"x72"
I love the colors. How many gigs is that thing? I heard panoramas can get pretty hefty in file size.

While on my way to and coming back from a cancelled photo shoot:

DSC_5570 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr
DSC_5578 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr
DSC_5587 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr
DSC_5598 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr
DSC_5592 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr

I should be packing up, but instead I'm experimenting with using a monitor for backgrounds....

To be clear, this is a pretty quick and dirty shot, I'm trying to figure out if doing this works or not, rather than going for crazy quality (didn't even dust it rip). If you guys have any thoughts on how this is working, or anything that jumps out at you as off, please let me know lol. Any tips on lighting is especially appreciated.

I should be packing up, but instead I'm experimenting with using a monitor for backgrounds....

To be clear, this is a pretty quick and dirty shot, I'm trying to figure out if doing this works or not, rather than going for crazy quality (didn't even dust it rip). If you guys have any thoughts on how this is working, or anything that jumps out at you as off, please let me know lol. Any tips on lighting is especially appreciated.
I actually like the monitor backgrounds. Kind of gives them a JRPG look to them.

I actually like the monitor backgrounds. Kind of gives them a JRPG look to them.
Yeah, the plan is to try and find more "environment" backgrounds and getting those working, but I figure this is probably easier to make "work", since I don't have to worry about mimicking the lighting as much.

As long as it doesn't look like A MONITOR, then I should be able to work it out. Will probably be easier to make a stand that adjusts a monitor than it will be to go out and print huge paper backgrounds lol.

That being said, if I want to keep using these sorts of flashy backgrounds, I'm gonna need to upgrade my lighting, particularly getting some gels, to make them blend in better.

KdotIX

The photos in this thread are breath taking.

I'm looking to get into photography this year. I have bought the book listed in the OP (the 4th edition - since I presume this is the most up to-date version). I'm also looking at buying a Canon 750D - is there any reason why I shouldn't go for this camera? I can either get it with an 18-55mm lens or a 18 - 135mm lens.

I would also like to get handy with Lightroom, could any of you be so kind as to point me to a good resource to learn about it?

Looking at these photos is making me eager to get snapping!

The photos in this thread are breath taking.

I'm looking to get into photography this year. I have bought the book listed in the OP (the 4th edition - since I presume this is the most up to-date version). I'm also looking at buying a Canon 750D - is there any reason why I shouldn't go for this camera? I can either get it with an 18-55mm lens or a 18 - 135mm lens.

I would also like to get handy with Lightroom, could any of you be so kind as to point me to a good resource to learn about it?

Looking at these photos is making me eager to get snapping!
It seems good enough, I'm not the hugest fan of Canon Rebel build quality though cause every time I'm handed one of them they feel like toys...I have the same complaint with Nikon entry level bodies as well. What do you intend to shoot? I just checked and if it's in your budget you could get a refurb Canon 80D from the Canon used store.

KdotIX

It seems good enough, I'm not the hugest fan of Canon Rebel build quality though cause every time I'm handed one of them they feel like toys...I have the same complaint with Nikon entry level bodies as well. What do you intend to shoot? I just checked and if it's in your budget you could get a refurb Canon 80D from the Canon used store.

I intend to snap people at events (parties/weddings/family get-togethers etc.) mainly. But I also want to do some street and outdoorsy type shoots too (especially for when I go on vacations). So a good all rounder would be nice to have, if possible.

I intend to snap people at events (parties/weddings/family get-togethers etc.) mainly. But I also want to do some street and outdoorsy type shoots too (especially for when I go on vacations). So a good all rounder would be nice to have, if possible.
Do you have a budget for a high iso body? Crop sensor...ain't great for indoor low light. It's improved greatly lately, but yeah...

KdotIX

Do you have a budget for a high iso body? Crop sensor...ain't great for indoor low light. It's improved greatly lately, but yeah...

I would say that's a little out of my budget at this point in time. Probably best to inform you that I'm also a bit of a beginner when it comes to photography, so I was hoping for a middle ground, all-rounder that I can use to "get into it" and improve my game. Hopefully in the future I could start to master the higher end stuff.

I would say that's a little out of my budget at this point in time. Probably best to inform you that I'm also a bit of a beginner when it comes to photography, so I was hoping for a middle ground, all-rounder that I can use to "get into it" and improve my game. Hopefully in the future I could start to master the higher end stuff.
What is your budget? I completely understand getting a beginner camera, but it also helps to get a camera that can keep up with your growth.

KdotIX

What is your budget? I completely understand getting a beginner camera, but it also helps to get a camera that can keep up with your growth.

I would say anywhere between £600-£800. Yeah I would like to have it be a good camera to use in 2 years time and something that I can use to continuously improve my skills, which is why I thought the 750D would be a good pick because I read that it's a good cross-point between entry level and enthusiast.

I would say anywhere between £600-£800. Yeah I would like to have it be a good camera to use in 2 years time and something that I can use to continuously improve my skills, which is why I thought the 750D would be a good pick because I read that it's a good cross-point between entry level and enthusiast.
What is that in American dude money?
Get this:https://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/eos-80d-ef-s-18-55mm-f-3-5-5-6-is-stm-kit-refurbished Granted I don't know where the European refurb store is. Even this ain't that bad: https://store.canon.co.uk/canon-eos-80d-18-55mm-is-stm-lens/1263C044/ Even closer: https://store.canon.co.uk/canon-eos-70d-18-135mm-is-stm-lens/8469B038/ Granted I'm personally very camera body picky at this point. Go into a store and see what you like. I go by what I need and what I actually enjoy holding in my hand.

KdotIX

What is that in American dude money?
Get this:https://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/eos-80d-ef-s-18-55mm-f-3-5-5-6-is-stm-kit-refurbished Granted I don't know where the European refurb store is. Even this ain't that bad: https://store.canon.co.uk/canon-eos-80d-18-55mm-is-stm-lens/1263C044/ Even closer: https://store.canon.co.uk/canon-eos-70d-18-135mm-is-stm-lens/8469B038/ Granted I'm personally very camera body picky at this point. Go into a store and see what you like. I go by what I need and what I actually enjoy holding in my hand.

Thanks for the suggestions dude. I will go to my local camera store tomorrow and see how these feel in the hands.

Thanks for the suggestions dude. I will go to my local camera store tomorrow and see how these feel in the hands.
Yeah we don't take pics with our feet so as archaic as it is I do also base it around what I enjoy having in my hands. Some people might not think much about build quality, but it's still a very important attribute of a camera in my opinion. I do my best to baby my stuff, but you can't prevent every single knock. And have fun with it, you'll be surprised what you gravitate towards just by physically picking up the camera and taking test shots and going through menus.

Another quick shot with my Nikon 50mm 1.4 as I haven't been able to use it on people yet lol.

Interestingly enough, Lightroom already has a lens correction preset for it built-in so that's pretty cool.

From a shoot from yesterday:

The only thing I can really say about it is to watch the shadows if you can.

The way the light hits her nose and creates a big shadow is pretty unflattering. It's kinda alright on the 2nd picture coz her smile takes away your attention from that huge dark spot under her right eye, but on the 4th one... idk man. The bright spot under her right eye that forms a very smooth curve/cone/whatever is pretty distracting imo.

Beyond that, the rest are pretty good!

Watch for those nose shadows in the 1st, 2nd and 4th photos!
I had no flash stand and couldn't raise or lower the position of it so it was pretty much under her face area. I probably should have lowered the power of the flash before hand but I didn't notice the harsh shadows till after the dang shoot. I also double checked my settings and my iso was probably way too damn high at 500. I had some other pics at iso 64 that don't have as much shadow cutting across her face. I boosted the exposure in post and it's a much better image...I just didn't like how she looked as much and I switched my settings back after seeing how under exposed she was.
DSC_5784 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr
The third pic is at iso 64 which is why the shadows aren't as severe. This flash shit's a work in progress yeesh. I might have to just use less iso with the off camera flash stuff and just let the flash compensate as well as just boost the exposure in post.

Been playing around with the a6000 I bought a week ago.

jHq4d9F.jpg

qk1VzT3.jpg

Bpg8QIq.jpg

0wNTwkq.jpg

Apparently there's no option for bbcode for Flickr on mobile. Tried the site and the app.

Been playing around with the a6000 I bought a week ago.

QyXk4A

QXFMEg

Still a ton of learning to do. Will be picking up the book in the OP next week.

You guys have some awesome photos, btw.

If you go to the share tab on your photos page, you can find a section for "BBCode" and use that to share your photos here.

captive

Wow, gorgeous! Asking as a novice, how did you get such vivid oranges/blues?
sunrise & sunset is the best time for landscapes.
Long exposure, exposed for the water, not the sky, then brought everything back down in post.
And the fact that the water in barbados really is green/blue and the sunset was really red.

Shoot in raw to adjust white balance after the fact. Whenever you point your camera at the sun its going to try and make that "cool" instead of actually be orange/red.

GOT DAMN! Sigma lenses aren't weather sealed though.
i know, that was the joke, hence the quotes. Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do. Was soaked from my shoulders down the tripod, camera and lens were pretty wet. Not 20 minutes before the waves were calm and we had my son out in the water. Then i have my tripod setup and all these big waves come out of nowhere, they were going over the rocks in this picture and pushing me and the tripod around, i kept having to reset the tripod. Pretty much every photo after this one has water spots from the front element.

i know, that was the joke, hence the quotes. Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do. Was soaked from my shoulders down the tripod, camera and lens were pretty wet. Not 20 minutes before the waves were calm and we had my son out in the water. Then i have my tripod setup and all these big waves come out of nowhere, they were going over the rocks in this picture and pushing me and the tripod around, i kept having to reset the tripod. Pretty much every photo after this one has water spots from the front element.

I know that feel.

This is my "Icarus flew too close to the sun" moment from a few months ago in Lake Michigan. Everything got wet, but nothing was damaged.

I think people underestimate the sturdiness of their equipment.

Top Bottom